Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Peeping Tom is where I started with P&P, and it gave me an immediate taste for their subversive bent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Peeping Tom is where I started with P&P, and it gave me an immediate taste for their subversive bent.

Seriously, their films are a testament to British filmmaking versus the far more neutered conditions of Hollywood films.

Also, there's someone of the forums with that shot from Black Narcissus of Sister Ruth opening the door as their av. Just thinking about it gives me chills.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Does Lionsgate own Peeping Tom now? Was it a part of that bundle of films?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

I originally saw Peeping Tom as part of a film theory class, which was fun. It has so many levels between the way it questions the filmmaker's role in film violence or the male gaze as a literal camera. It's the sort of film that's like walking into a hall of mirrors because it even asks whether the audience is complicit in watching a character be murdered. People were horrified by the film because it was too honest about the nature of violence against women. Michael Powell should have been knighted for making the most honest film about murder rather than run out of the business.

While it gets compared to Psycho most often, it would make a great double-feature with Bogdanovich's Targets.

Peeping Tom was my first interaction with Powell then I watched The Red Shoes and immediately bought the bluray and his biography which turned out to be bigger than a brick.

As a family story, the last movie my grandma saw before having my mom was The Red Shoes, the last movie my mom saw before having me was Good Morning, Vietnam. How time flies....

Also, wanna hear about Targets.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

kaujot posted:

Does Lionsgate own Peeping Tom now? Was it a part of that bundle of films?

It's part of the StudioCanal library. Lionsgate licensed their entire library for North America and specifically asked for exclusive rights, which is why Criterion lost a ton of titles all at once years ago. Unfortunately, their main interest in the library was for Terminator 2 and to use the value of the library as collateral for financing new movies.

The Jacques Tati movies were an exception only because the Tati estate intervened. But Les Films de Mon Oncle owns the films outright and StudioCanal is worldwide distributor, not unlike how the Chaplin estate has MK2 distribute on their behalf.

My guess is that Lionsgate either refuses to license or their asking price is astronomical. I'd put my money on the former since you know Criterion would have at least made a deal for stuff like Ran. It's absurd since there's a TON of releases in England and France. In fact, I think most of the titles Criterion took out of print are available from StudioCanal UK. It's just idiotic how a studio can hold a library hostage like this.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Also, wanna hear about Targets.

Awesome first film by Peter Bogdanovich. A former soldier goes on a shooting spree juxtaposed with an old horror movie star (Boris Karloff) growing tired of horror films because they can't compete with the everyday murders. I don't want to spoil how it ends up, but it's just a timely as it was in 1968 as it is today. It even laboriously shows the killer legally buying a bunch of guns and ammo with nary an objection from the gun store clerk.

I wish Criterion would release it (especially since it's a Paramount film), but I guess releasing it around the same time as Bowling for Columbine would be a bit too on the nose.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 18, 2018

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

They're not going to touch the colors. The cinematographer was involved in the restoration and it's the same one Eureka released back in 2015. A Touch of Zen has some of the same color complaints from the blu-ray.com forum types and they didn't touch that one, the Criterion and Eureka discs are pretty much identical. For what it's worth I didn't notice anything wrong while watching either movie and think they both look great with the new restorations.

They probably won't do anything, no. Arrow might, so it's unfortunate that they don't have the rights; they fixed both Deep Red and Tree of Wooden Clogs after Ritrovata had pulled their usual stunt on those. 'Cause it's always the same - it doesn't matter if the movie is Italian, Chinese, Soviet or Japanese - once Ritrovata have worked their magic, the movie will have a yellow cast, with low contrast, and elevated blacks.

By the way, German Rapid Eye Movies did try to fix A Touch of Zen and it generally looks much better than the Criterion/Eureka editions. Unfortunately it doesn't have English subs. http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=11387&d2=8609&s1=112067&s2=82477&i=0&l=0&a=0

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm going to second Targets. Real good capstone to Karloff's career too. Its like his version of The Shootist or something.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 18, 2018

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Awesome first film by Peter Bogdanovich. A former soldier goes on a shooting spree juxtaposed with an old horror movie star (Boris Karloff) growing tired of horror films because they can't compete with the everyday murders. I don't want to spoil how it ends up, but it's just a timely as it was in 1968 as it is today. It even laboriously shows the killer legally buying a bunch of guns and ammo with nary an objection from the gun store clerk.

I wish Criterion would release it (especially since it's a Paramount film), but I guess releasing it around the same time as Bowling for Columbine would be a bit too on the nose.

Another yay for Targets. I love the story of how Bogdanovich basically wrote the film around Corman's offer that Bogdanovich could have Karloff for two days of shooting (because Karloff owed Corman that, for some reason).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Amazon has Scanners, Multiple Maniacs, Safety Last!, Vanya on 42nd Street, and Lost in America for $20 or under. The Passion of Joan of Arc and Night of the Living Dead are still under $20, as well.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Egbert Souse posted:

Seriously, their films are a testament to British filmmaking versus the far more neutered conditions of Hollywood films.

Also, there's someone of the forums with that shot from Black Narcissus of Sister Ruth opening the door as their av. Just thinking about it gives me chills.

When I first saw that shot out of context I assumed it was from a late 70s horror film or something. The look of their films is so amazingly ahead of their time. I once showed someone The Red Shoes and they were shocked that it was shot in the 40s.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Seems like Greed might be coming. TCM aired the reconstruction recently and it was a new HD resolution version rather than an upscale.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Seems like Greed might be coming. TCM aired the reconstruction recently and it was a new HD resolution version rather than an upscale.

How much have they been able to reconstruct?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Steen71 posted:

Pretty sure we're only ever gonna get the 4 hour cut with stills edited in, barring a miracle.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steen71 posted:

The theatrical cut (approx 130 min) exists complete and in excellent quality, but that's it. The reconstruction, created in 1999, was an attempt to simulate the last cut Von Stroheim prepared, which ran approx. four hours. It basically used the theatrical cut and used stills and recreated intertitles to reinstate lost footage. It also restored the hand-stencil color for gold throughout the film, which was on original prints. I recall that it also colorized a few stills for scenes that were originally shot in Prizmacolor.

It plays incredibly well - even has a full orchestral score for the entire four hours.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
So I finally saw an as close to uncut 720p version of The Devils (113 minutes; I think it's a fancut of the streaming version with the available deleted scenes reinserted) and did some running around on the history of it and the potential release - while this is a Facebook post and only really backed up by hearsay, there's a guy here claiming that Criterion have it licensed. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1177970699005460&id=539744709494732

It's an instant purchase if so.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I honestly think some management changes happened at Warner and for the better. Warner Archive has been thriving, they're now licensing to not only Criterion, but also Shout! Factory now, and there's also Filmstruck absorbing Warner Archive Instant. Hell, 2001: A Space Odyssey is coming out on UHD this year.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

I honestly think some management changes happened at Warner and for the better. Warner Archive has been thriving, they're now licensing to not only Criterion, but also Shout! Factory now, and there's also Filmstruck absorbing Warner Archive Instant. Hell, 2001: A Space Odyssey is coming out on UHD this year.

Wasn't the thing with The Devils that there was specifically one higher up at WB that had a thing for that movie? I seem to remember some interview with Kermode maybe that the block for the BFI bluray was from one specific person, and it was a shitfight to just have the DVD released.

E: it was also previously streaming on Shudder but disappeared around the same time that Filmstruck launched last year, so that might be a further hint.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 19, 2018

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I really have no idea why The Devils got stomped down like that - a single personal grudge from one powerful executive is the only answer because it's not particularly blasphemous or even shocking. It's campy, silly, and full of shrieking, but the actual content is basically the auto da fe scene from Candide with more boobs and anal. Oliver Reed throwing a stuffed alligator out a window and then using it as a sword in the next scene is one of the most blessed things I've ever witnessed in a movie.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Agreed, mostly - the version I watched had the rape of Christ scene in it as well as the femur scene (but not all of it, I believe) but a lot of the sexual stuff has an undercurrent of violence that's, and the climax of Grandier is still pretty full on. It's aged, but it's still more explicit than most contemporary films.

The "blasphemy" thing doesn't wash with me though - it's really a film about corruption and political perversion, and Grandier as the only really pious man is flawed but ultimately trying to do good.

That crocodile steals the show though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's just so goofy:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wasn't Ken Russell a devout Catholic, anyways?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Man, I just watched Bigger Than Last in preparation for a guest lecture at uni (Professor Murray Pomerance, who's had an essay on the Criterion release of Seconds) and I think I've slept on Nicholas Ray far too long. Besides Rebel Without a Cause, where do I go from here because gently caress me, domestic turmoil in cinemascope was simply the best.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
In a Lonely Place is my fav film of all time with maybe Bogart's finest performance (though Gloria Grahame ain't no slouch either), Johnny Guitar is one of the most unique & greatest westerns ever, and The Lusty Men is super underrated (Robert Mitchum and the rodeo!)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I, Butthole posted:

So I finally saw an as close to uncut 720p version of The Devils (113 minutes; I think it's a fancut of the streaming version with the available deleted scenes reinserted) and did some running around on the history of it and the potential release - while this is a Facebook post and only really backed up by hearsay, there's a guy here claiming that Criterion have it licensed. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1177970699005460&id=539744709494732

It's an instant purchase if so.

This would be loving legend. I have a hard time believing that Criterion would put it out if they couldn't get the full thing, but there have been so many fakeouts in the last 10 years from people claiming they have an uncut version, and yet it still seems like it's under lock and key by some old dude with a femur to pick.

That being said, even with the one scene cut out, the movie deserves to be seen! It is, without hesitation, one of the best films I've ever watched.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Seconding In a Lonely Place. It shows Bogart at what may be his most vulnerable ever.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They Live By Night is a great noir, too. Great Criterion, too.

Not Criterion, but Olive’s Signature Edition of Johnny Guitar is excellent with lots of extras and from 4K. Warner’s Blu of King of Kings looks gorgeous, even if light on extras.

I haven’t seen On Dangerous Ground yet, but it’s supposed to be great. Bernard Herrmann score.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Wasn't Ken Russell a devout Catholic, anyways?

He's a Catholic convert, if that makes any difference. I'm sure his detractors consider him something of an infiltrator.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I, Butthole posted:

Man, I just watched Bigger Than Last in preparation for a guest lecture at uni (Professor Murray Pomerance, who's had an essay on the Criterion release of Seconds) and I think I've slept on Nicholas Ray far too long. Besides Rebel Without a Cause, where do I go from here because gently caress me, domestic turmoil in cinemascope was simply the best.

Despite having owned the blu ray for a long time I didn't get around to actually watching it myself until about a week or two ago. Mason gives an amazing performance and the cinematography is top notch. My only major gripe is how neatly the ending gets wrapped up. It's just like "welp, I didn't know I was an addict, but now that I do I'll regulate my dosage and everything will be cool now." It kind of glosses over the reality of how addiction recovery is an entirely different medical battle in of itself. However, seeing as how this was made in 1956 and simply addressing addiction in the way they did in that film was already a pretty bold move, I'm willing to let it slide.

Oh, and Mason's British accent occasionally creeps it's way in to his lines which is kind of funny because I couldn't tell at first whether he was trying to play as an American or a British person living in America. That's not a major gripe though. I just thought it was kinda funny. :haw:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

Despite having owned the blu ray for a long time I didn't get around to actually watching it myself until about a week or two ago. Mason gives an amazing performance and the cinematography is top notch. My only major gripe is how neatly the ending gets wrapped up. It's just like "welp, I didn't know I was an addict, but now that I do I'll regulate my dosage and everything will be cool now." It kind of glosses over the reality of how addiction recovery is an entirely different medical battle in of itself. However, seeing as how this was made in 1956 and simply addressing addiction in the way they did in that film was already a pretty bold move, I'm willing to let it slide.

Oh, and Mason's British accent occasionally creeps it's way in to his lines which is kind of funny because I couldn't tell at first whether he was trying to play as an American or a British person living in America. That's not a major gripe though. I just thought it was kinda funny. :haw:

I thought the ending was anything but neatly tied up. He might by docile now, but I think another poster said it was on the level of "I was cured all right" He's absolutely still insane.

Also, I never thought he was trying to play an American. It works well because Mason plays the character with such intellect and class, it makes his decent into madness even more disturbing. More so that he knows he's going crazy. It's definitely a body horror movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

When’s the next B&N sale supposed to happen? I’ve got a fever, and the only cure is Night of the Living Dead and Silence of the Lambs.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

When’s the next B&N sale supposed to happen? I’ve got a fever, and the only cure is Night of the Living Dead and Silence of the Lambs.

July. Night is only $18 on Amazon, though.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Xenomrph posted:

I still have my OG DVD copy of Silence of the Lambs that I bought years ago because I was certain they would never get the rights back and I thought it would be a collectors item. Welp. :(

lamin
Aug 22, 2003

All posts are equal but some posts are more equal than others
I'm sure this is old news to everyone, but this weekend I got to see the DCP of The Passion of Joan of Arc on the big screen, and oh my god was it amazing. You could see every pore, and I can't wait to add the blu-ray to my collection during the next sale.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion's website got a complete redesign.

The listings for A Matter of Life and Death, the Dietrich/Von Sternberg set, Female Trouble, among others all have HD clips of the new restorations.

Also, the Eisenstein Sound Films set went out of print.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Even harder to navigate than before!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Even harder to navigate than before!
Yeah I can't stand the new website. It feels way less streamlined and harder for me to find anything of interest on it.

It feels more like an art gallery brochure than a functioning website.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The top 10 lists are sorted by date now and not alphabetically where it's a memory game to find any new ones, so A+ redesign in my book.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Filmstruck just put up the entire filmography of David Lean.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Filmstruck just put up the entire filmography of David Lean.

That's hot stuff. I'm about to bite the bullet and buy a fucken chromecast or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

That's hot stuff. I'm about to bite the bullet and buy a fucken chromecast or something

Just a sampling of Filmstruck right now:

Director of the Week: David Lean (complete filmography)
Star of the week: Jean Harlow (14 films)
My Journey through French Cinema + 17 films (including Grand Illusion, Touchez par au grisbi, Alphaville, Army of Shadows, Bob le flambeur, and Le Trou)
Busby Berkeley (15 films)
Frank Borzage (9 films)
Yasujiro Ozu (33 films)
Marlon Brando (10 films)
Vincente Minelli (25 films)
Peter Greenaway (6 films - The Falls, The Draughtman's Contract, A Zed and Two Noughts, The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover, The Pillow Book, and Prospero's Books)
Mars Attacks!
Luis Bunuel (12 films)
Powell & Pressburger (15 films)
Forbidden Planet
Magnolia

The Criterion Channel also has pretty much everything that was on Hulu Plus, but also a lot of OOP stuff with full extras from laserdisc/DVD/Blu-ray:

High Noon (with the Criterion laserdisc commentary)
The Milky Way
That Obscure Object of Desire
The Phantom of Liberty
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Complete filmography of Sergei Eisenstein
Complete filmography of Charles Chaplin (except for his very last film)
12 of Hitchcock's British films
Highlights of the Olympics box set (like Riefenstahl's Olympia)
25 Akira Kurosawa films (only missing four)
32 Ingmar Bergman films