Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
bet that dog wouldn't complain about the french fries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Modus Man posted:

If I want fries it’s either Five Guys for their cajun fries or Penn Station East Coast Subs for the best fries... ever.

Penn Station fries: Cut potatoes with 3/8" dicer. Blanch in oil @ 300 degrees F for 5-6 minutes. Cool. Fry again at 350 degrees F for 2-3 minutes. Salt liberally. Serve immediately.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You go to Culver’s you get a drat shake

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Waffle and Crinkle cut are good and Penn Station has good fast food fries. Basically what you do is to low boil them for a bit, then put in fridge, then low fry them for first pass, then let rest then high temp fry them for final pass. The point of boiling them a bit is to create texture on the surface for crisp. Do it right and they’re delicate and kind of fall aparty. Hence why Crinkle cut and Waffle are usually so good, more crisp surface texture.

If you google Penn Station fries and take a close look at some of the images you will notice their surface is just a bit more textured than the more straight level Five Guys fries in most pics. Gives that edge.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 19, 2018

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

When did the burg thread become the fry thread

smdh

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Can't have one without the other, good Burg demands good fries

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Sweet potato fries or go home

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

butros posted:

Sweet potato fries or go home

I have never had a sweet potato fry that wasn't soggy garbage

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Dacap posted:

I have never had a sweet potato fry that wasn't soggy garbage

Stop giving purveyors of lovely sweet potato fries your custom then.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I’d take a malt shake over fries usually. Most places have poo poo fries *limp emoji that I can’t find*

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love salty, crinkle-cut fries and a malted milkshake. Oh dang.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'll almost always choose onion rings over fries when I'm having a good burg. Any other onion ring aficionados? My favorite kind is beer-battered. No panko or tempura bullshit rings for me, and if they're too thick, too greasy, or the breading just slides off, that is not okay.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'll almost always choose onion rings over fries when I'm having a good burg. Any other onion ring aficionados? My favorite kind is beer-battered. No panko or tempura bullshit rings for me, and if they're too thick, too greasy, or the breading just slides off, that is not okay.

This one place near me does some amazing Guinness beer battered onion rings

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Onion straws. The shape requires them to be cut far skinnier than rings, and they're always close-breaded rather than those hulking bastards that an onion just slips out of and you have just a ring left. P.J. Clarke's does the best, but they're a go to pretty much wherever they're found.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Modus Man posted:

Reading through this thread over the last few days has made crave a burg something bad... then as I’m driving I see a sign for Culver’s “Pretzel Haus Pub Burger” and lunch is decided.

drat, went to Culver's a few days ago before I saw this post and saw it on the menu and was hesitent. Should have ordered it. :negative:

And yeah, Culver's kicks rear end.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ChaseSP posted:

The problem with In n out is their fries massively drop in quality the longer you wait.

True for every kind of potato delivery system except the noble pierogi.

Also don't order fries at culver at all. Substitute cheese curds.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

their onion rings are p legit too

also their chili cheese fries hit the spot occasionally

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Yeah, Culver's actually makes great onion rings, and of course the cheese curds are tops. I like their burgers, but sometimes they come out on the dry side for me. I'm sure that pretzel burger is better than the basic one. And they have a great house root beer, if you don't feel like frozen custard (or even if you do). I'm a root beer connoisseur, so I'll always get it when there's an option other than Barq's (Coke) or Mug (Pepsi).

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Not Culver's, but another Wisconsin-style butter burger with an added egg.

Delicious but a tad under-seasoned and the egg was overcooked but still a great burg.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Fatso's Last Stand double smash burger in Chicago. So good. Not as smashed as some, and the patties are thicker, but still a good choice.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

beerinator posted:

Fatso's Last Stand double smash burger in Chicago. So good. Not as smashed as some, and the patties are thicker, but still a good choice.

Yeah, would approve.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, would approve.

Ya I'd fill my colostomy bag with that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Had a bad burg experience this weekend. Ordered medium, took forever to come out, was well well well done. Was way too hungry to send it back and wait for another one so I ate it and didn't enjoy it. What a waste.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Food regret is the worst regret.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

beerinator posted:

Looks good to me.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

beerinator posted:

That looks awesome. Sending my Chicago friends there now.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

beerinator posted:

them fries look boooooomb

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Midniter posted:

Had a bad burg experience this weekend. Ordered medium, took forever to come out, was well well well done. Was way too hungry to send it back and wait for another one so I ate it and didn't enjoy it. What a waste.

I always like when going to a chain steak place and you ask for medium-rare or whatever. Then you get the mini-lecture on what color to expect and if that is ok...as in "Are you really sure what the hell you're ordering?" Then when delivered it looks like a piece of horse carcass that has been doused in gasoline and set on fire.

Burgers are about the same way. I understand the liability issue...but geesus. At least flash a little pink in my burg.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

At least flash a little pink in my burg.

:quagmire:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Every time I ask for med-rare, I get a mushy ball of hamburger, and it's gross.

All I want is a nice crust on the outside, but pink on the inside. :sigh:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kloa posted:

That’s medium.

Medium rare is warm red.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

kloa posted:

Yeah, guess my post came across wrong depending how you read it...

1) I wouldn't order a medium-rare burger (and it would be somewhat difficult to do). But I order medium-rare steaks.

2) A lot of places overcook.

Personal preference. In short, burg and live life no matter what you want. I won't judge.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I usually order my burgs medium because I do not trust anyone enough to not murder my balls with salmonella. It's good enough. A proper burg relies on its teammates to truly shine, anyway.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Quoting this from a few pages, it's a ridiculous 77 quid with shipping to Britain!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Bogart posted:

I usually order my burgs medium because I do not trust anyone enough to not murder my balls with salmonella. It's good enough. A proper burg relies on its teammates to truly shine, anyway.

You cannot get salmonella from undercooked beef unless some chucklefuck stores the raw poultry directly above it.

E. coli and norovirus, on the other hand...

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The solution, as always, is to get burgers with thin patties. If you need more meat, add more patties.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Steakandchips posted:

Quoting this from a few pages, it's a ridiculous 77 quid with shipping to Britain!

holy poo poo why

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Steakandchips posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tablecraft...=burger+flipper

hth, friend

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Something something getting fired after doing something to the burger flipper.

What happened with the burger flipper?

She got fired too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
buy 2 cast iron griddles and smash your burgs with one