Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve seen the sentiment elsewhere, how is Norse mythology played out exactly? I mean outside of Thor, where are all these viking games?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve seen the sentiment elsewhere, how is Norse mythology played out exactly? I mean outside of Thor, where are all these viking games?

It’s not played out at all honestly and I’m glad GoW might usher in a wave of developers playing around in the mythology.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only recent Viking games I can think of are Hellblade and the latest wave of Skyrim overhauls.

e: Aw man, now I'm thinking about Too Human for the first time in years

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 19, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hellblade is one good-rear end viking themed game, although completely different from God of War.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

WoW has a lot of norse stuff goin on too

it just gets more play than most mythologies, maybe any?

You don't see a lot of christian mythology games really

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Here's a good thematically appropriate browser game to play while you wait for God of War to release:

http://www.pippinbarr.com/games/letsplayancientgreekpunishment/LetsPlayAncientGreekPunishment.html

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
I wound up pre ordering this because I've been watching a lot of Vikings lately, it seemed like the thing to do.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s not played out at all honestly and I’m glad GoW might usher in a wave of developers playing around in the mythology.

I'd love for this to result in a Rune remake.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Capn Beeb posted:

I'd love for this to result in a Rune remake.

Now there’s a blast from the past! I don’t even remember if that game was good or not but I was all about it at the time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
so we're all just gonna pretend Ascension didn't exist, right

good.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Snatched the game early from a local retailer, I played the first hour of the game until the first story trophy, looks cool so far gameplay wise. I can't comment a lot on the fighting itself since it's very early in the game and I believe a lot of moves are locked, it's ok, not as much fun as the previous games though. Throw axe, get it back while slashing dudes in the way, light hit, heavy hit, rinse and repeat etc.
Kratos looks like a terrible dad, his relationship with the boy should be interesting to see how it develops.
Now the graphics, remember all those times you saw a CGI cutscene with very high poly characters and crisp textures and said "Man I wish the game was like this but realtime" ? Wish fullfilled. It's definitely impressive, even more that Horizon Zero Dawn so far (for Uncharted lovers, I never played the game). Art style is probably a hit or miss but I like it. Performance looks good, 30 fps on a day one regular PS4, no drops noticed.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bust Rodd posted:

Northgard is a pretty nice little strategy game that is set in Norse Mythology

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
I picked the game up but it seems to take something like ten years to install, so that's good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bust Rodd posted:

Presumably there are shitloads of smaller titles that are viking/norse mythology themed, but yeah outside of Hellblade and Marvel Thor idk what people are talking about. I'd welcome a deluge of major releases dealing with bits and pieces of Norse or other mythology to be honest.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

JBP posted:

Presumably there are shitloads of smaller titles that are viking/norse mythology themed, but yeah outside of Hellblade and Marvel Thor idk what people are talking about. I'd welcome a deluge of major releases dealing with bits and pieces of Norse or other mythology to be honest.

I, for one, played waaaaaay too much Skyrim.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

played for a couple hours... im kinda meh on it so far

combat is okay, everything else is insanely typical AAA adventure with highlighted climbing walls, linear levels and enforced slow walking sequences

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

combat is okay, everything else is insanely typical AAA adventure with highlighted climbing walls, linear levels and enforced slow walking sequences

On the one hand, what did you expect?

On the other hand, do you have a realistic option for something better? Except the slow walking sequences part, that's a pretty easy thing to not have/avoid.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

nopantsjack posted:

I'm loving it. The first major plot point fight is off the hook.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The slow walking is almost certainly covering up loading times because of the "whole game in one cut" thing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I love walking sims, unironically

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

You all know that the reason we can't have Norse mythology games is cause the God damned Nazis are still around.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

nessin posted:

On the one hand, what did you expect?

On the other hand, do you have a realistic option for something better? Except the slow walking sequences part, that's a pretty easy thing to not have/avoid.
it reminds me more of uncharted than i thought, like linear combat arenas with simple combat that lead into puzzles where you gotta find the wall to climb etc. combat is very simple so far. Looks like you get some spells and extra moves later on though that will make it a little more like souls in terms of diff moves you can pull off with the same weapon.
So far for me its just heavy-heavy-light attack string is the optimal combo for everything. I do like that some enemies you gotta punch until they're stunned but then the kill animation seems to repeat a lot, possibly there is only one animation per enemy type?

Story is pretty standard gruff dad stuff, nothing super intriguing so far generally but especially compared to the old games which would usually open with you like throwing the collosus of rhodes head at zeus while surfing poseidon or whatever.
First plot fight was a cool cutscene but the fighting was still just mashing the same combo and dodge rolling for me. oh i like the dwarf too, he seems cool.

i dunno, i hope i'll warm to it, i didnt like HZD at first and loved it by the end. I stopped playing this after 2 hours and went and played something else though cause id been doing exactly the same thing for 2 hours, which seemed like a bad sign

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

as for slow walking its not really GoW's problem, i just don't like Enforced Slow Movement sequences and they turn up in like every big budget game, I wouldn't mind a cutscene but it bugs me when games are like "now press/hold a single button in order to progress our great cinematic so you remember you're playing a game"

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
is that what the subtitles say???

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Game director Cory Barlog gets emotional seeing the reviews (week old, but only now uploaded)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR7IX5RTPPA

nopantsjack posted:

I stopped playing this after 2 hours and went and played something else though cause id been doing exactly the same thing for 2 hours, which seemed like a bad sign

A number of people have said the start is slow to the point of them almost giving up on the game (but ended up loving the game in the end).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m going to unbookmark for a while since I want to avoid spoilers and not let others skew my feelings on the game. Have fun everyone! :) be nice to your good son!!!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Grem posted:

You all know that the reason we can't have Norse mythology games is cause the God damned Nazis are still around.

That's a good point. Kratos mitigates it for this one by being an anarchist in a previous life.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I am fully alert and prepared to bring down the Norse pantheon in t-minus 20 minutes.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Just played it for half an hour before heading off for work, I haven't been given this much of a positive first impression in a long time.
I started off on 'give me a challenge' and oh boy this game does not gently caress around.

I tell you one thing, the animation is phenomenal right from the first second. Kratos is just... whoa.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Just played it for half an hour before heading off for work, I haven't been given this much of a positive first impression in a long time.
I started off on 'give me a challenge' and oh boy this game does not gently caress around.

I tell you one thing, the animation is phenomenal right from the first second. Kratos is just... whoa.

Yeah this game is loving hard what the hell...

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hell yea a hard game let's start the Dark Souls comparisons.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I just bit the bullet and downloaded it, I have the day off work too! I’ve never played the rest of the series (I know) but got on the hype train. Even though I hear this isn’t true to form of the previous games as an idiot outsider I will by happy with the lovechild of HZD and TLOU wearing a Norse mythology skin.

On the ‘games with strong mythology’ chat I think HZD did a great job building one from scratch.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
The “give me god of war” difficulty is just ridiculous

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

ZZZorcerer posted:

The “give me god of war” difficulty is just ridiculous

Can't wait to watch someone far better than me play through on this difficulty.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I hear on the hardest setting, the first time you refer to Atreus as “boy”, he just turns around and puts his mother’s knife in your neck.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I picked whatever normal is and I'm generally fine but a couple of fights killed me and taught me that I need to use my skills. Beating the poo poo out of things with your bare hand is an excellent superpower. I'm hoping to see a few more grab kills though. Ripping the wings off the harpy things in the old games always brought a smile to my dial.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Everything I’ve heard is the game is very slow and linear for the first 3-4 hours before something happens and it blows wide open so probably something to keep in mind if anybody is bored

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Some.of these boat conversations are hilarious. This game has some good writing.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
God of War is (even more) anime now, and I am here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How far off would it be to say this game is like The Last of Us, but with the zombie survival shooter aspects replaced by fighting game combat and god of war's local pantheon and monster murdering?