Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How far off would it be to say this game is like The Last of Us, but with the zombie survival shooter aspects replaced by fighting game combat and god of war's local pantheon and monster murdering?

It's more like that but also everything is also somehow replaced by kicking large amounts of rear end

even the deer look like they just rode in off a Dio album cover

I have to get back to the game but I did want to take a moment to tell you this is a good game.

Ten minutes of combat in game might not be Bloodborne 2 but it sure feels a lot more fair than any of the other titles in the series.

Nice to be fighting poo poo instead of seeing if I can get my CHAIN to 87 HITS!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How far off would it be to say this game is like The Last of Us, but with the zombie survival shooter aspects replaced by fighting game combat and god of war's local pantheon and monster murdering?

It seems significantly more open/wide in places (not quite open world), and has deeper RPG and crafting systems.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Dont dare to visit youtube. Assholes already have thumbnails with key points of the game has clickbait.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
it's been a long night guys. see you tomorrow.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

ZZZorcerer posted:

The “give me god of war” difficulty is just ridiculous

I'll say. Enemies take forever to kill, can power up so they take double forever to kill and you better not get hit more than twice fighting several of them 2-4 at a time in a single checkpoint.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I was going to avoid this thread for a while but hahahaha oh my god within the first hour or so this game has the best boss fight I’ve probably ever experienced. Holy poo poo. I was smiling the entire time.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Republicans posted:

I'll say. Enemies take forever to kill, can power up so they take double forever to kill and you better not get hit more than twice fighting several of them 2-4 at a time in a single checkpoint.

9 heavy attacks to kill the lvl 1 Draug, and the enemy power up heals too, it’s almost impossible to fill the stun bar.... :argh:

I think I’ll restart on lower. This is bullshit.

If enemies at least dropped health more often, this is not fun.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ZZZorcerer posted:

9 heavy attacks to kill the lvl 1 Draug, and the enemy power up heals too, it’s almost impossible to fill the stun bar.... :argh:

Haven’t started the game yet, is it possible the hardest difficulty is intended more for a NG+ play through?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Haven’t started the game yet, is it possible the hardest difficulty is intended more for a NG+ play through?

This is what I'm wondering as well. Is there some sort of post story and new game+ mechanic? Cause all the comparisons to HZD have got me pretty interested in that regard.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Maybe put in OP that the game is still challenging and requires you to use all your tools on normal difficulty and the higher tiers are just for masochists.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
“hmmm..we have something a little different. It’s more like keep playing when you finish because there is so much stuff we put in beyond the main journey!”

Quote from one of the devs, so I think you’ll be able to keep on playing to get everything/explore. But this difficulty seems to only be available when starting (the other ones you can change at will).

The first fights are completely ridiculous, now that I have a few skills it’s a bit more manageable, gonna play a bit more later. The boss fights were ok/easy (first ones at least) problem is that fighting mobs is a pain in the rear end.

Game owns a lot, only problems I saw are with this difficulty, everything else is A+

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
How far into the game do they kill off your son as a cheap emotional investment tactic?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I started on Give Me a Challenge and it is definitely A Challenge so far, but I'm getting the hang of it. The difficulty levels actually mean what they say in this game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gasbraai posted:

How far into the game do they kill off your son as a cheap emotional investment tactic?

I'm not sure they will to be honest. There's a different tone. I do on the other hand have another much more Maury Povich theory based on nothing.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

ZZZorcerer posted:

I'm at the bit where you start fighting draughr with two-handed axes and I've had enough of this horseshit, I'm starting a new game. This is worse than God Hand on hard.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Well I've played just about 5 1/2 hours now, took my time clearing out the little side areas in the Lake of Nine (except the rift bosses gently caress those guys). I'm on the second hardest difficulty and I've graduated from dying almost every encounter to only nearly dying, and I took out the Soul Eater boss without too much trouble. So far I'd say this is just about everything you'd want from a single-player AAA experience. Superb visuals, interesting combat, just enough mystery in the main story to keep you going. Can't wait to go back!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I was just laughing like a child on a rollercoaster for ten straight minutes I think. GOTY for me.

E: hottest tip, the axe is just a boomerang for doing puzzles, your fists are for killing

JBP fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 20, 2018

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
I just wanted to drop in and say that first (major) boss fight was one of the most metal video game moments I've experienced in my 40 years of gaming.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Story wise it's very last of us, game wise I think it's more uncharted with axes so far.
Gonna play some more today.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just bought this. :woop:

Thank god I'm working from home today

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Definitely a mash up of Uncharted, Witcher 3, and The Last of Us. Maybe even some modern day Tomb Raider. A few people here and there have said it feels "samey" compared to other games being released over the last few years. I suppose Horizon Zero Dawn fits that narrative as well. Striking difference between this (so far) and other titles in the same genre is God of War is actually...fun? It's engaging and exciting and has great world building, and has generally hooked me in with its challenge/mechanics. While stuff like Zero Dawn and Assassin's Creed just bored me to tears.

GeekyManatee fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 20, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

GeekyManatee posted:

Definitely a mash up of Uncharted, Witcher 3, and The Last of Us. Maybe even some modern day Tomb Raider. A few people here and there have said it feels "samey" compared to other games being released over the last few years. I suppose Horizon Zero Dawn fits that narrative as well. Striking difference between this (so far) and other titles in the same genre is God of War is actually...fun? It's engaging and exciting and has great world building, and has generally hooked me in with its challenge/mechanics. While stuff like Zero Dawn and Assassin's Creed just bored me to tears.

That's good. That's what I was worried about. I need to get back to Zero Dawn but I was not engaged in the slightest.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

YO THIS GAMES GONNA FUCKIN CRUSH

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
God of War is one of the games I immediately go to the hardest settings on so the difficulty talk is intriguing me. Those of you who tried the God of War setting is it more difficult or about the same as this series typically is on Crushing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This game is the most metal endorsement of fatherhood.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm playing on the balanced difficulty and I died twice to the first boss so I can only imagine what the game is like on the highest difficulty. Probably has similar vibes to the Titan difficulty in GoW II.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

God of War is one of the games I immediately go to the hardest settings on so the difficulty talk is intriguing me. Those of you who tried the God of War setting is it more difficult or about the same as this series typically is on Crushing

You gonna die.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve seen the sentiment elsewhere, how is Norse mythology played out exactly? I mean outside of Thor, where are all these viking games?

The real played out part is emotionally constipated dads

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

It must be loving good, because nobody is posting, everybody is playing or at the uni/work

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The only thing missing from that first boss fight was Amon Amarth doing the soundtrack to it.

Pretty cool game so far. I've never played the GoW series before, but the trailers caught me, and the fact the producer said Dark Souls inspired the combat sold me. The game looks absolutely amazing. Might be the best looking game I've played to date.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Does the game have hanzo steel or other melee weapons besides a puny woodcutters axe.

Also I watched a video of what seemed like the first boss and got Metal Gear Rising feels.

Might have to buy this drat game

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 20, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
So are they going to call the sequel God of War 2?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

scores are now in and everyone seems to love the game, more or less perfect scores across the boa-

edit: mods rename me (hopefully biological) son

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

tote up a bags posted:

scores are now in and everyone seems to love the game, more or less perfect scores across the boa-

edit: mods rename me (hopefully biological) son

I can see this being true as the hype wears off and people start analyzing the gameplay for what it is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

WaltherFeng posted:

I can see this being true as the hype wears off and people start analyzing the gameplay for what it is.

same. i am only an hour or so in and i like it, its interesting to see a somber and quieter kratos and the slower exploring pace. the combat is alright but i hope there is more then loving drauger. it also has a clunkyness i dont care for. part of that is getting used to the controls but idk. the narrative so far feels weirdly cormac mccarthy like.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

WaltherFeng posted:

Does the game have hanzo steel or other melee weapons besides a puny woodcutters axe.

Also I watched a video of what seemed like the first boss and got Metal Gear Rising feels.

Might have to buy this drat game

yeah, i love the DBZ style boss fight though.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Can you actually see the mra review being true?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I was going to avoid this thread for a while but hahahaha oh my god within the first hour or so this game has the best boss fight I’ve probably ever experienced. Holy poo poo. I was smiling the entire time.

:same: it is awesome.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Cucking isn't as prevalent in Norse mythology as it was in Greek so frankly Kratos has upgraded in that regard.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don’t see any so-called clunkiness to the combat really, I just see myself sucking and the many opportunities to play better by incorporating more of my toolset.