Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

OnimaruXLR posted:

Reinhard is kind of naive when it comes to poo poo other than matters of state and war. It's one of the big differences between him and Yang. He's like the Batman of governance; he lost a family member due to an injustice at a young age, and dedicated himself to correcting that through sheer willpower and know-how, to the detriment of basically every other aspect of what normal folks would call "life."

I'm not really qualified to make any statements in regards to "BUT IS HE GAY REALLY AND HOW MUCH?" either way but it's fair to say that, in a variety of ways, typical social standards aren't really applicable to him

Both he and Yang seem pretty much garbage at practical day to day life to me, honestly. The culture of the Free Worlds paired with Yang's position, modesty, and luck gave him a succession of subordinates, confidants, and loved ones who were allowed to impose on him enough(Julian, Frederica, Cazellnu, etc) to cover for the parts that his genius did not extend to, such as protecting his own well-being. The standoffishness of Imperial culture paired with Reinhard's personality and position meant that the only person who could do that for him was Kircheis, a person who he met before he attained his power and before he locked his heart away to pursue his ambitions. Hilda spends a huge amount of time trying to become his confidant specifically because she recognizes that he accepts this service from no one despite desperately needing it.

Reinhard being gay or not is mostly an interesting thought experiment with readings that could go either way, rather than something that really affects the story meaningfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Billzasilver posted:

Although I have a different, more cynical take that he was also desperately trying to produce and heir to protect his empire.

Really? I thought it was pretty out in the open that he didn’t give a gently caress about an heir, and that’s why he was rushing the consolidation and democratization at the end. He wanted to put systems in place, not his progeny. He just happened to die early.

Him making hilde the regent is important because he thinks she can accomplish the domestic reforms he wants, and he outright states that if his son is a lovely ruler he should be deposed.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah Reinhard doesn’t believe in dynastic principle at all, he’s so into rule by the strong that he tells his subordinates to come at him bro if they think they can beat him.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Really? I thought it was pretty out in the open that he didn’t give a gently caress about an heir, and that’s why he was rushing the consolidation and democratization at the end. He wanted to put systems in place, not his progeny. He just happened to die early.

Him making hilde the regent is important because he thinks she can accomplish the domestic reforms he wants, and he outright states that if his son is a lovely ruler he should be deposed.

At the same time though he declines Julian's suggestion to go full constitutional monarchy now. Even at the end it seems like he still believes in great men more than systems, which is reasonable considering how quickly he was able to erase 500 years and two government's worth of system. Ideally his son will be such a great man, but if not there will be others. He doesn't seem to be envisioning a system that can chug along without somebody exceptional at the tiller.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

If only Yang had made it far enough to tell him how stable and effective systems like that tend to be after a couple decades :v:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Reinhard conquered humanity to make himself feel better and doesn’t really care a whole bunch about what happens after he is dead. Again, he’s very much inspired by Alexander the Great and it seems quite likely that what happens after his death is much like what happened after Alexander’s: all his surviving officers build up their own power bases, get into a standoff and become more or less petty tyrants over fragments of his realm. “Die Sage ist vorüber, die Historie beginnt” because this is the end of larger-than-life figures like Reinhard and Yang, men who could take, or could have taken, the whole universe by storm. The guys that are left are like Mittermeyer and Julian: not by any means incompetent or nobodies, but also not possessed of the same heroic quality or ambition or genius as those who have died. I’m interested to see how the books handled this ending because they are surprisingly even more adulatory to Julian than the show.

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 19, 2018

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Meta-commentary: in-universe Julian is probably mostly known through stories about him given in ... Yang's biographies ... written by ... Julian.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Julian rules. Even if he had nothing else interesting going for him, just on the merit of being a former spy I would totally read his biography.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay, remind me: I watch my Conquest is the Sea of Stars, then episode.... three?

e: Wait, checked the OP, and I don't have Overture to a New Battle, brb looking for it

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I put off watching any of the new adaptation till today because I expected to hate it...

I actually enjoyed the first three eps. It's going at a fair lick, but I don't mind since I remember the missing details from watching the old show. I wonder how the pace seems to a new watcher? Probably not all that different to most anime since the original was so slow.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

DamnGlitch posted:

The impression I got was that his hatred of the Goldenbaum Dynasty means that he wanted a long lasting empire to replace all of their hateful policies. But the Empire still expects a line of succession, even if Reinhard himself doesn't believe that. So having an heir, even a newborn baby, is an important part of securing peace and stability after his death. His son being a talented ruler or replaced by a talented ruler are both equally preferable in the future, but he needs an heir for immediate stability. After all, he spends like an entire season working out the details of his constitution and succession plans.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:swoon:

This is the prettiest freaking show

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 20, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It's been years, and yet - this show has aged like a fine wine. And so have I! I really, really adore My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, and I caught all the nuances this time, how brilliant it is, etc - when I first watched it, I was back in high school and I enjoyed it in the sense that I was a highschooler watching something good, knowing it's good and I should be into it, and loving the ship fights, but phwooosh all the other stuff went over my head.

Now I'm old enough, and mm-mm. Yes. Yes please. More political infighting, more dealing with a populist ruler jerk, more, more, moreeeeee

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

all of the gay subtext was removed from Kircheis/Reinhard and put in the scene between Oberstein and Kircheis

as i am convinced it now should be, forevermore. anyway i keep telling myself i'll use this new series as a jumping point to get into the old one but i looked at that old Oberstein design and i'm afraid to leave the pretty boys behind.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

dogsicle posted:

all of the gay subtext was removed from Kircheis/Reinhard and put in the scene between Oberstein and Kircheis

as i am convinced it now should be, forevermore. anyway i keep telling myself i'll use this new series as a jumping point to get into the old one but i looked at that old Oberstein design and i'm afraid to leave the pretty boys behind.

Oberstein is, like, the only character who's prettier in the new series than the old.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Oberstein is, like, the only character who's prettier in the new series than the old.

i guess i meant i'm afraid to leave pretty Oberstein behind. :cry:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't know, I really like that old Oberstein is kind of a gaunt, cadaverous creepy dude. It suits the absolute distaste everyone has for him initially, which only increases when his methods become apparent to everyone in the know.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I can’t see new reuenthal telling Lang to gently caress in any way better than old Reuenthal. Sorry this anime sucks.
Sometimes i watch that clip to feel good inside

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

To be fair it's going to be really hard to top Wakamoto's performance in this new anime.

Reuenthal's verbal beatdown of Lang is one of my favorite moments, Wakamoto is just loving too good

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Reuenthal is my favorite crazy misogynist who is best friends with the chillest bloke mittermeyer

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This show continues to be pretty!

Also, I...suspect that when I watched this show years ago, I skipped Overture to a New Battle and just watched eps 1+2 so this is almost new content for me. And I wonder if I was stupid enough to watch the first movie, then go straight to ep 3...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Basically what I expected. Time for me to finally buy book one I think.

Okay, I read it, and I'm sure you'll all be surprised to hear it's pretty gaygood.

Personally I can't believe this whole time his name was Wittenfeld!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Book 6 just arrived!!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Are people discussing the new anime in this thread?

I've watched the first 3 episodes and I enjoy it. I like the old character designs more but the new, crisp colors and space battles and backgrounds are very striking. Episode 2 and 3 were strong, especially the end of episode 3 where Reinhard states his ambition.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Okay, I read it, and I'm sure you'll all be surprised to hear it's pretty gaygood.

Personally I can't believe this whole time his name was Wittenfeld!

I’m not sure where the book translator got this tbh, Japanese doesn’t have a “vi” and while you certainly could be representing such a German sound with a “bi” I see no reason to privilege that reading over the one the OVA uses.

The book translators are mostly pretty good but as is to be expected with so many names, they gently caress up a couple, including Admiral Ulanfu/Ulanhu, who is boneheadedly rendered as “Ulanff” despite the narrator repeatedly hammering in the point that he’s Mongolian-Chinese, much like the Mongolian-Chinese elder statesman of the same name contemporary to the writing of the books.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
New anime is actually not bad so far. I’m not a fan of the character designs and sad that they’re not using classical music but other than that the production value is great and the way they slightly rearranged the story is fine so far like introducing Yang as a punchline in the last 5 seconds of the first episode

Just hoping they get to the Artemis Necklaces, Iserlohn vs Geiersberg and other kaboom episodes and throw their newfangled animation budget at them

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

skasion posted:

I’m not sure where the book translator got this tbh, Japanese doesn’t have a “vi” and while you certainly could be representing such a German sound with a “bi” I see no reason to privilege that reading over the one the OVA uses.

Bittenfeld and Vittenfeld sounds equally plausible to my ignorant self as German names so I could see making that mistake.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

New anime is actually not bad so far. I’m not a fan of the character designs and sad that they’re not using classical music but other than that the production value is great and the way they slightly rearranged the story is fine so far like introducing Yang as a punchline in the last 5 seconds of the first episode

Just hoping they get to the Artemis Necklaces, Iserlohn vs Geiersberg and other kaboom episodes and throw their newfangled animation budget at them

Yeah, my biggest gripe is also the character designs, and I'm kind of skeptical about this entire remake as I feel the original anime is just perfect as it is- but I did get nerd chills at that ending anyway :kimchi:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Rochallor posted:

Bittenfeld and Vittenfeld sounds equally plausible to my ignorant self as German names so I could see making that mistake.

Both Bittenfeld and Wittenfeld are actual German place names and surnames, hence the confusion. Tanaka rarely makes up names that he could pull from the real world so the translators need to be checking references. The OVA spells it (and its actors read it) Bittenfeld of course, but then again the OVA also sometimes just gets poo poo wrong.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

skasion posted:

Both Bittenfeld and Wittenfeld are actual German place names and surnames, hence the confusion.

Ah, in my ignorance Wittenfeld looked more realer.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

dogsicle posted:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The latest episode seemed ridiculously rushed. Felt like two or three episodes stuffed together (all of Spiral Labyrinth ep 1 and then a bunch of other stuff).

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
New Cazelnu looks weird. Like he'd be a puppetmaster villain in some other show.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

....Wow, the first episode of the original OVA is not good. It's like a cliffs-notes version of events, and barely compelling. It's even worse watching it back to back with the Overture to a New Battle movie. If it were to air today it'd be a curio, but slammed for being too fast and abstract.

And, yep, the commanders are morons.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

The latest episode seemed ridiculously rushed. Felt like two or three episodes stuffed together (all of Spiral Labyrinth ep 1 and then a bunch of other stuff).

It's just weird in general - Spiral Labyrinth 1 is something the original OVAs I think rightfully put off until after the main series for a reason besides the one or two flashbacks. Also, making Cazellnu the one to have Yang transferred... and not having it be because the history department as a whole was shut down kinda removes the detail of the FPA utterly screwing everything not directly war related in addition to giving an odd association to Cazellnu, who's already on thin ice with people I know who've seen LoGH for being the most heteronormative jerk in space. (His rant about how people exist to pass on their genes.) Also, I don't remember in the novel, and I know the original anime doesn't have the bit of young Yang asking his dad if Space Hitler was really that bad... and then having him bring it up to Jessica when asked to talk about something interesting was just weird.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Holy hell, I am super unhappy with episode 4. It was well made, but it easily could have been stretched to two or even three episodes. And personally, I’d have moved on to Yang coming back from the battle in episode 2 with short flashbacks anyways.

Again, if you’ve never seen the original, this was probably fine. If a little shallow. Jessica basically does nothing at all. It goes through yang’s life at an extremely brisk pace.

But I give it a passing grade because hilariously, they made cazelnu the most evil looking guy in the universe.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Holy hell, I am super unhappy with episode 4. It was well made, but it easily could have been stretched to two or even three episodes. And personally, I’d have moved on to Yang coming back from the battle in episode 2 with short flashbacks anyways.

Again, if you’ve never seen the original, this was probably fine. If a little shallow. Jessica basically does nothing at all. It goes through yang’s life at an extremely brisk pace.

But I give it a passing grade because hilariously, they made cazelnu the most evil looking guy in the universe.

Problem is DNT only has twelve episodes for the first season (and then three movies after that only), so spending this much time even on Spiral Labyrinth material seems like a dubious choice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

gourdcaptain posted:

Problem is DNT only has twelve episodes for the first season (and then three movies after that only),

How are they going to have time for two entire episodes of made up documentary space history

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I watched the ovas and eh the new episode wasn't that bad. I liked it even. They are setting up for future events and grounding the relations Yang had with other people for the viewers

Did feel a bit upset about skimming over the fact that Yang was part of the military history branch before being forced to transfer

Also they made Jessica more fleshed out early and I'm fine with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
To be honest I think the new series should move a little faster than the old one because while there was a lot of excellent moments in the old version it really was loving glacial

E: speaking of, which episode does Schenkopp kidnap the head of the FPA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gS1gHC5GNA

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 25, 2018