Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm glad the shot of Peter is resonating because I have been laughing at that shot for weeks.

That's Rob Delaney from Disaster btw, a show you should watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

I'm glad the shot of Peter is resonating because I have been laughing at that shot for weeks.

That's one of the best gags I've seen in a trailer...maybe ever. From the setup of seeing them on the plane, to the end where we see Peter, and the trailer says, "Yup, mother fucker's here, too."

It's perfect.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I just know Rob from British panel shows and Twitter, but he's great.

That trailer definitely put my rear end in the seat.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

kiimo posted:

Its Catastrophe and its incredible!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bahaha yes Catastrophe.

I had a rough morning.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pretty sure Peter and the rest of the recruitment scene is gonna be a reference to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXFR1L_gOg8

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So dark! You sure you’re not from the DC Universe!?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Shageletic posted:

Um...have you been to India my man? Something something marvel.

Peeps were associating traditional auditorium style seating with third world countries, so I thought I'd just throw in my experience of theaters in third world countries. hth

The MSJ posted:

Andrew Niccol of Gattaca and In Time is back at it with another retro-futurist noir dystopia. A detective investigate murders in a world where privacy does not exist anymore and all information about everyone is public.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnc17atwaII

Loved Gattaca when I was younger. Niccol can be hit or miss but this looks right up my alley.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Peeps were associating traditional auditorium style seating with third world countries, so I thought I'd just throw in my experience of theaters in third world countries. hth

yeah, i was just throwing out there that the US theater experience, even with recliner seats, has basically nothing in common with that

like, if reserved seats and recliners were things they upcharged for, then yeah, but... most theaters are just adopting these wholesale without changing prices any. and all the stuff about being part of a crowd is still there, regardless of whether your rear end is cramping or feeling like it's being massaged by a cloud.

(honestly, I'm partly in favor of recliner seats because it seems like every loving blockbuster is over 2 and a half hours and my rear end genuinely cannot take a traditional auditorium seat for that long anymore, I am a skinny goon without much padding)

e: like, the reason i mentioned Alamo Drafthouse is because the Indian theater experience actually sounds like a weird cyberpunk version of Drafthouse, with people getting feted with more stuff for spending more

if you want to just see a movie and not get anything to eat or drink it's :10bux:, but effectively, the more you spend, the more time the servers spend milling about your little area and putting extravagant-looking food items in front of you and the more attention you basically call to yourself. Indian theaters sound like this taken to the absolute extreme, not like the Regal 15 minutes away that has really nice recliners in all the theaters.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 19, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Seriously though, reserved seating kills the movie pass. Thankfully there's a regular average movie theater barely a mile behind my house that doesn't have assigned seats. It's glorious. I never knew I would crave for regular seating but there you go. Thanks movie pass!

Also the thing with Drafthouse that makes it special, is the atmosphere. Most of the people there are coming to this theater because they love movies and respect them, and there's a weird sense of comradre there that you won't get with most theaters. You can go to the bar, and chat with some people about the movie you're seeing, or have seen, and it's great. Plus the no talking thing and the cool preshow stuff makes it unique.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Seriously though, reserved seating kills the movie pass. Thankfully there's a regular average movie theater barely a mile behind my house that doesn't have assigned seats. It's glorious. I never knew I would crave for regular seating but there you go. Thanks movie pass!

does it have to be the immediate next showing when you buy a moviepass ticket, or could you just drop by the theater earlier in the day, grab a ticket for the movie you wanna see at the time you want, and pick out a nice seat? I know you're not allowed to use Fandango, but most theaters will let you buy advance tickets at the box office, I ended up doing that when I took my little bro to see DBZ: Resurrection F (since Fandango was acting janky).

e: and yeah, I don't even mind Drafthouse/Studio Movie Grill type places, I just think they're much more of a step in the direction BeanpolePeckerwood doesn't like than loving recliners are

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

does it have to be the immediate next showing when you buy a moviepass ticket, or could you just drop by the theater earlier in the day, grab a ticket for the movie you wanna see at the time you want, and pick out a nice seat? I know you're not allowed to use Fandango, but most theaters will let you buy advance tickets at the box office, I ended up doing that when I took my little bro to see DBZ: Resurrection F (since Fandango was acting janky).

I've done this before for Mom and Dad at the Drafthouse only because I've been sold out of showings from them before for movies at random times. But it worked. I've heard that it's maybe a no-no thing, but that might be just for using the e-ticket to reserve it ahead of time.

But the problem is you have to go all the way to the theater, and then go back later, which is kind of frustrating.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CelticPredator posted:

How? Are you getting to the theater 5min after the movie has started or something? Yeah, you might have to wait for good seats in prime time screenings of just released movies (or just, buy your ticket earlier in the day), but eh, don't think you can say it 'kills' MoviePass. I've seen four movies so far this month thanks to MP, all have had reserved seats, have gotten my first choice in seat every time.

Or just go to theaters that use e-tickets.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah, i was just throwing out there that the US theater experience, even with recliner seats, has basically nothing in common with that

like, if reserved seats and recliners were things they upcharged for, then yeah, but... most theaters are just adopting these wholesale without changing prices any. and all the stuff about being part of a crowd is still there, regardless of whether your rear end is cramping or feeling like it's being massaged by a cloud.

(honestly, I'm partly in favor of recliner seats because it seems like every loving blockbuster is over 2 and a half hours and my rear end genuinely cannot take a traditional auditorium seat for that long anymore, I am a skinny goon without much padding)

e: like, the reason i mentioned Alamo Drafthouse is because the Indian theater experience actually sounds like a weird cyberpunk version of Drafthouse, with people getting feted with more stuff for spending more

if you want to just see a movie and not get anything to eat or drink it's :10bux:, but effectively, the more you spend, the more time the servers spend milling about your little area and putting extravagant-looking food items in front of you and the more attention you basically call to yourself. Indian theaters sound like this taken to the absolute extreme, not like the Regal 15 minutes away that has really nice recliners in all the theaters.

Fair enough. I'm not one for blockbusters much at all, and I guess it feels like the 2+ hour cgi blockbuster market is moving more in the direction of luxury experience, most of which seems a bit incompatible with cinema as I want it.

How many recliners fit into your local regal theater? I can't imagine it's over 75. That's just a different experience in my book. The screen is going to be smaller, the average content is going to be more conservative, they're going to tailor the experience around the luxury of the distinct viewer on opening weekend presales. I guess that's all you get in some places, like my dad lives in the middle of nowhere and chain multiplex blockbusters are the only game in town.

All the more reason to support indie theaters if you can, and I guess I'm a bit spoiled where I live. I want that 50ft screen!

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I get the idea of moviepass for filling seats that would otherwise be unoccupied, but not having reserved seating is honestly super weird.

How do you go to a cinema with a larger group of friends when the movie is even remotely full?
Here in Germany I've never in my life seen a cinema without reserved seats (besides maybe an open air cinema).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You have to get the tickets way in advanced for that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

All the more reason to support indie theaters if you can, and I guess I'm a bit spoiled where I live. I want that 50ft screen!

Giant screens at indie theaters seem more like the exception than the rule

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Eezee posted:

I get the idea of moviepass for filling seats that would otherwise be unoccupied, but not having reserved seating is honestly super weird.

How do you go to a cinema with a larger group of friends when the movie is even remotely full?
Here in Germany I've never in my life seen a cinema without reserved seats (besides maybe an open air cinema).

I don't watch movies with more than 2-3 people if I can help it. Organizing gangs of 7-10 people to all sit together and watch something in the dark is super weird to me, not to mention the wasted effort involved in corralling individual humans with individual cars to all be in one place at one time.

The best theater experiences I've had are alone or with 1 other friend.

morestuff posted:

Giant screens at indie theaters seem more like the exception than the rule

Yeah, I guess so. PDX has an abnormally healthy indie scene. Multiplexes have been closing up shop for years now.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What makes the drafthouse is Lone Star Beer.

It makes everything in Austin.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kiimo posted:

What makes the drafthouse is Lone Star Beer.

It makes everything in Austin.

Lone Star is the absolute bottom tier of Texas beer, try a Shiner or Blue Moon

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Red Tick Beer is pretty good.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Those beers suck though.

Lone Star is bottom tier sure but I can drink 14 of them on an Austin bender.

Shiner Bock is gross to me and Blue Moon with the loving oranges is just so not Texas to me. When I'm in Texas give me Lone Star and give me dozens of them.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxP442T-aZ0

Henker
May 5, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Gimme that retrowave, John Carpenter.
I like how John Carpenter has basically been making the same genre of music for 35 years, but that genre has semi-recently had a huge resurgence in popularity so it works out.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Warner Bros just uploaded this. Movie still looks amazing after 50 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR_e9y-bka0

Christopher Nolan posted:

For the first time since the original release, this 70mm print was struck from new printing elements made from the original camera negative. This is a true photochemical film recreation. There are no digital tricks, remastered effects, or revisionist edits. This is the unrestored film - that recreates the cinematic event that audiences experienced fifty years ago.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

So dark! You sure you’re not from the DC Universe!?

Pretty sure that is the only line from a trailer that has made me laugh in years. Movie looks great.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Equalizer 2 looks good. The first one was one of the better old man action movies of recent times so i'm down for the second one which looks like the action has been bumped up a notch.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The MSJ posted:

First bluray I bought, no regrets.

It'S amazing how much better it looks than 2010, which came out 20 years later (which I still love too).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

It still boggles the mind that the best looking sci-fi movie came out 50 years ago :psyboom:

Seriously, I know good design is timeless and all, but how the gently caress has no one surpassed that in decades of advancements in technology? Jesus Christ

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wimW8gebE3U

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Henker posted:

I like how John Carpenter has basically been making the same genre of music for 35 years, but that genre has semi-recently had a huge resurgence in popularity so it works out.

Yeah, it's amazing how many current day artists were inspired by him and he just essentially responded with "well, I'm still alive... and I still make music" by releasing new stuff.

(music video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJeDQYlpBp0

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 20, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You consider Blue Moon a "Texas beer"? It started in Colorado and is owned by MillerCoors, so that's a weird position to take.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

What can change the nature of a man?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

Is "revisionist edits" supposed to be a shot at Soderbergh or what

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clipperton posted:

Last time I watched 2001 I joked with my wife about doing a "Nolan" edit that cut everything before the scene on the moon, replaced the soundtrack with modern movie music, and dubbed dialog that overexplained everything.

This came fairly soon after an Interstellar rewatch, natch.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What? Shiner and Blue Moon are generic "grocery store" beers. Nothing exceptional about either (and in the case of Blue Moon, it's actively not good. Shiner's fine for what it is I guess).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Clipperton posted:

I'd think it's a shot at George Lucas, feeling the need to update the effects in THX and Star Wars to make it palatable to a modern audience.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Well then hats off to Nolan for staying mad for >20 years

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The MSJ posted:

drat, this looks amazing. I had to do some digging, but it looks like the US screening is May 18. Can't find a list of the "select theaters" it will be played at though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

Equalizer 2 looks good. The first one was one of the better old man action movies of recent times so i'm down for the second one which looks like the action has been bumped up a notch.

Yeah, the first one is a lot of fun. Glad Antoine Fuqua is back and they didn't farm it out to someone else like the Olympus Has Fallen sequel.