Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I mean, teachers have lost their jobs before for taking pictures with alcohol so....who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Renegret posted:

I mean, teachers have lost their jobs before for taking pictures with alcohol so....who knows.

There's a lot of variables. Teachers in states with unions are a lot harder to get rid of for "conduct clause" violations. There's quite a few teachers that have been charged in my area lately with miscellaneous run ins with the law. None of those have involved students.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Renegret posted:

This is why when my wife and her teacher friends are planning drinks after school, it’s “poetry club,” because their email can be FOIA’ed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

devmd01 posted:

This is why when my wife and her teacher friends are planning drinks after school, it’s “poetry club,” because their email can be FOIA’ed.
FOCUS meetings
Friends over cocktails until six

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That's not any group of teachers I know, unless it's 6am.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

devmd01 posted:

I was partial to "The Library."

Hey, we're going to the library after class! The bar by the university actually renamed to The Library.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I was partial to "The Library."

Hey, we're going to the library after class! The bar by the university actually renamed to The Library.

There was the (possibly apocryphal) MD who owned a boat called 'A Business Trip'

So, his secretary could tell callers 'I am sorry he is not available, he's on a business trip'

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I have a VM that is ballooning its thin provisioned vmdk to the maximum size (just over 2TB) when removing a snapshot taken by my backup software. Just this morning the vmdk was at 900GB (reasonable for what it is). I manually ran a backup and the software took a snapshot of the VM. So far so normal. When the software requests to remove the snapshot from ESXi, the vmdk goes crazy and grows to 2.144 TB and the snapshot removal takes a solid 3hrs.

Once this whole song and dance is done I can run disk optimization in Windows then manually run unmap on the MSA to reclaim the space, but ?????????

I have absolutely not idea what's going on here. Gonna be a good Thursday.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

spog posted:

There was the (possibly apocryphal) MD who owned a boat called 'A Business Trip'

So, his secretary could tell callers 'I am sorry he is not available, he's on a business trip'

Just how many bars in the world are called “The Office” anyways?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DigitalMocking posted:

I present without comment:

"Provide Engineering with a Linux machine they can configure as needed to satisfy current and future requirements for Engineering-specific network services on the internal <COMPANY> corporate network.

The initial need is to have an official, backed-up location for the new <COMPANY> Internal Vagrant (Virtual Machine) Cloud. This service is currently provided by an nginx http daemon running on a Raspberry Pi 3 in <USER>'s cubicle. The level of configuration detail and the agility with which changes need to be made require this machine to be administrated by Engineering."

We are a 350+ person company. This request was approved.

Buy them a second raspberry pi.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Given I have two weeks left, I'm finally digging back into some really old issues I let sit for way too long.

Like our OWA site giving an IIS error page instead of automatically redirecting to https
And our sharepoint site allowing credentials to be sent from the public interface using http instead of https. I actually shut down the public interface access to this because I didn't have time to fix it before and was really loving bothered by it. It was only accessible from the inside for roughly 3 months.

Until today :hellyeah:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I have a VM that is ballooning its thin provisioned vmdk to the maximum size (just over 2TB) when removing a snapshot taken by my backup software. Just this morning the vmdk was at 900GB (reasonable for what it is). I manually ran a backup and the software took a snapshot of the VM. So far so normal. When the software requests to remove the snapshot from ESXi, the vmdk goes crazy and grows to 2.144 TB and the snapshot removal takes a solid 3hrs.

Once this whole song and dance is done I can run disk optimization in Windows then manually run unmap on the MSA to reclaim the space, but ?????????

That's weird it almost seems like something is causing vmware to think every block has changed and is re-writing everything to the VM again or something crazy.

Do you guys use Changed Based Tracking, and is your backup software able to utilize it? https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1020128

This has really saved us a fuckton of time on backups.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you got some sort of in-guest backup going on as well as at the VM level?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Is it a windows VM?

If so, I'm curious what your max shadowstorage size is set to for each drive. To find out, in an elevated command prompt, type

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Are any disks set to UNBOUNDED? If so, you could set an upper bound on size with

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=X: /on=X: /MaxSize=20%

If you do this, the snapshot will probably fail rather than balloon infinitely, but at least your VM won't choke.

(You can use any %, or any size in MB like 1000MB to made it at a gig)

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Agrikk posted:

Just how many bars in the world are called “The Office” anyways?

Not enough. One of our sites had a bar named that nearby, and it was one of my favorite bars. It was quiet, had reasonable drinks and comfy chairs. Plus it was next to our hotel so after dinner it was easy to stop by.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

MF_James posted:

That's weird it almost seems like something is causing vmware to think every block has changed and is re-writing everything to the VM again or something crazy.

Do you guys use Changed Based Tracking, and is your backup software able to utilize it? https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1020128

This has really saved us a fuckton of time on backups.

We do use CBT, yeah.

Thanks Ants posted:

Have you got some sort of in-guest backup going on as well as at the VM level?

We do not. Any sort of weird poo poo like this tends to end very poorly.

ConfusedUs posted:

Is it a windows VM?

If so, I'm curious what your max shadowstorage size is set to for each drive.

It's a 2012r2 vm. Checked and was told no items found. So went and looked; sure enough shadow copies are disabled on the drive.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Does your backup product use application-aware backup processes that utilize VSS? Or interface with Exchange/SQL/Sharepoint to manage transaction logs? If either, I wonder if it's freaking out because there's no shadowstorage assigned at all.

Does it behave better if you give a minimal amount of shadowstorage for each disk? Like 10%?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

It does provide application aware backups and fallback to crash-consistent if they fail. There is a tool I need to install in order to manage transaction logs, but it has the ability to do this. The server in question has no databases running on it though; it's just a file server.

I thought that shadowstorage was just the shadow copies Windows makes to offer file versioning. The VSS writers all appear to be normal. Further to this, it seems most of the servers we're in charge of don't have shadow copies enabled on the drives.

I have tickets open with both VMware and the backup vendor to see if we can't find some traction somewhere.

It's just very weird to me that the backup software attempting to remove a snapshot that it created itself is causing this mass explosion of vmdk space. Fun fact: if I take the snapshot myself and remove it, this doesn't happen.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

devmd01 posted:

This is one cool thing about working for a private school: faculty-wide emails with the subject line “Friday Afternoon: Drinkin’ Time.”

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Nerdrock posted:

Lots of Emails Came in ::

we're moving to google for email. format is firstname.middleinitial.lastname at ourschooldistrict.org

Teacher is complaining about "personal privacy issues" putting that info in their email address. Also CC'ing the local teacher's union.

Teacher was informed their first name, middle initial, and lastname are on the school's website in the staff directory.

I *want* to inform them if we type their first name and last name with (city) into google, they show up on a "neighbor report" website , with their address listed, and that they are 'constantly yelling racial profanities'. I also *want* to inform them that our county's Geographic Information Systems website has them listed (with first name, middle initial, and last name) as the owner of the property that's complained about. I also *want* to inform them that they have a publicly facing facebook profile, while not showing their middle initial, does have a photo of their car with license plate number clearly displayed. I also *want* to inform them that typing their name into a website that lists public records of government job payrolls not only shows their middle initial, but also earnings over the last decade.

Then again, someone I’m acquainted to has been threatened with legal action for posting a modqueue on a messageboard overrun by bigots because of ~the Data Protection Act~.

These are the same people running around accusing people of hacking them because they left tweet geotagging on, with previous greatest hits going all Dunning–Kruger in the fields of phlebotomy and equality law, so I wouldn’t be too scared.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Let the not giving a gently caress commence.

Director stormed into my office holding an email he printed out instead of forwarding to me like a human being in the year of our lord 2018. The email was from the comptroller of the college stating that they are moving to VOIP and they need a list of all of our phone numbers. This came to me because one of my responsibilities is monitoring billing for phones, cable, internet, etc... every month to make sure there aren't any discrepancies and to also make sure we aren't paying for things we no longer use, such as phone lines in empty offices.

:mad: They need an updated list of phone numbers by the end of the day. You should already have this information on hand, RIGHT?

Clearly planning on my not having done this task for some reason, he was just itching to find something to bitch at me today over. Without breaking eye contact, I snagged the phone directory off my bulletin board, scanned it, and emailed it to the comptroller's office.

:smug: Done.

He then proceeded to rave about how that was unacceptable and lazy and I needed to write up a list in an excel sheet to send over. As he was lecturing, an email came from the comptroller stating simply "This is perfect. Thanks!"

I turned my monitor around to him and said "I think they're fine with it."

Then I stood up and told him I was going to be late for a meeting with our advancement director, so if he didn't have anything else I was going to head out.

The meeting took place in a bar downtown for about three hours. Incidentally, the advancement director is pretty cool.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

A 4 month home computer nightmare is over. After my roommate's last computer bascially died (motherboard totally poo poo the bed) I and some friends ended up building him a new computer. Or rather, I salvaged what I could from the old one, friends bought a new motherboard and CPU and we tried to get it going.

Nothing. No beeps even. Some time passes, we get a new motherboard, because the utter lack of any beeps usually signifies a motherboard failure. Hey, sometimes they're DOA, you know? New motherboard: exact same problem. No beeps even. So we figure it has to be the CPU. So I slam a new CPU in.

Nothing. Same drat results. So, JUST IN CASE, I put the newest CPU into the original replacement motherboard.

It goddamn works. I'm loving around in the bios, and then I see this in the options.

"BEEP ON STARTUP: DISABLED"

:suicide:

Some jackass decided to make that an option. Some other jackass decided to set it that way, or alternatively that was the default setting. Because of that, we wasted the price of a motherboard, a new case (because the second motherboard would not fit into the case we got), and a couple of months.

So, uh, hey guys. If I murder like, a whole bunch of people at the same time, do you think I'd get a bulk discount on my prison sentence?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rorac posted:

A 4 month home computer nightmare is over. After my roommate's last computer bascially died (motherboard totally poo poo the bed) I and some friends ended up building him a new computer. Or rather, I salvaged what I could from the old one, friends bought a new motherboard and CPU and we tried to get it going.

Nothing. No beeps even. Some time passes, we get a new motherboard, because the utter lack of any beeps usually signifies a motherboard failure. Hey, sometimes they're DOA, you know? New motherboard: exact same problem. No beeps even. So we figure it has to be the CPU. So I slam a new CPU in.

Nothing. Same drat results. So, JUST IN CASE, I put the newest CPU into the original replacement motherboard.

It goddamn works. I'm loving around in the bios, and then I see this in the options.

Some jackass decided to make that an option. Some other jackass decided to set it that way, or alternatively that was the default setting. Because of that, we wasted the price of a motherboard, a new case (because the second motherboard would not fit into the case we got), and a couple of months.

So, uh, hey guys. If I murder like, a whole bunch of people at the same time, do you think I'd get a bulk discount on my prison sentence?

Why wasn't this PC plugged into a monitor?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Yeah also speaker failure

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why wasn't this PC plugged into a monitor?

Sorry, I'd figured that went without saying. Of course it was, there was also no video.

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah also speaker failure

I thought about that, and after the first system failed to boot, I got one and plugged it into the speaker prongs on the motherboard. It still didn't beep. Neither did the second, for that matter.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's so :3: to see you posting like this after the news. You're a good dude doing a good job.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Client: Hey we did a maintenance last night and replaced a whole bunch of line cards in our equipment. Also or some reason everything on those line cards is no longer working. Anyway we think this is a problem with your system and we need you to join a bridge call.

Hey, I have a better idea.

How about no.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Rorac posted:

my bullshit intro to computers course at my local Community College in 2001 taught us that a motherboard doesn't need a CPU to post. Unless that's changed over the last 17 years. (teacher had tweaked the bios to say "what kind of idiot doesn't even put in a CPU?" or something)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Are you saying I could post to SA without buying an expensive Computer Process Utility?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

Are you saying I could post to SA without buying an expensive Computer Process Utility?

if you can do it from within post, then yeah. give it a shot!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Nerdrock posted:

my bullshit intro to computers course at my local Community College in 2001 taught us that a motherboard doesn't need a CPU to post. Unless that's changed over the last 17 years. (teacher had tweaked the bios to say "what kind of idiot doesn't even put in a CPU?" or something)

It will technically Power On Self Test, and then it will fail the Power On Self Test with a beep code or diagnostic light. In that sense it does post, but nothing more.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

evobatman posted:

It will technically Power On Self Test, and then it will fail the Power On Self Test with a beep code or diagnostic light. In that sense it does post, but nothing more.

exactly. my point is that unless your board posts and tells you there's an issue with the CPU, by either beeps or lights or a message on the screen, then it's probably not the CPU.

DrBrezo
May 13, 2009

Ì have fallen up through years of grinding helpdesk positions into a new role thats eventually gonna be junior sysadmin of sorts, with lots of virtual machine & infrastructure stuff for a software devhouse . Needless to say I will be in and out of here screaming and crying in frustration at all the learning i'm gonna do next year.

Just read the thread through and already have a lot of helpful info and anecdotal do's and don'ts- so thanks all !!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Don't: work with computers
Do: live in a field

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Have you considered :justpost:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

larchesdanrew posted:

Let the not giving a gently caress commence.

Director stormed into my office holding an email he printed out instead of forwarding to me like a human being in the year of our lord 2018. The email was from the comptroller of the college stating that they are moving to VOIP and they need a list of all of our phone numbers. This came to me because one of my responsibilities is monitoring billing for phones, cable, internet, etc... every month to make sure there aren't any discrepancies and to also make sure we aren't paying for things we no longer use, such as phone lines in empty offices.

:mad: They need an updated list of phone numbers by the end of the day. You should already have this information on hand, RIGHT?

Clearly planning on my not having done this task for some reason, he was just itching to find something to bitch at me today over. Without breaking eye contact, I snagged the phone directory off my bulletin board, scanned it, and emailed it to the comptroller's office.

:smug: Done.

He then proceeded to rave about how that was unacceptable and lazy and I needed to write up a list in an excel sheet to send over. As he was lecturing, an email came from the comptroller stating simply "This is perfect. Thanks!"

I turned my monitor around to him and said "I think they're fine with it."

Then I stood up and told him I was going to be late for a meeting with our advancement director, so if he didn't have anything else I was going to head out.

The meeting took place in a bar downtown for about three hours. Incidentally, the advancement director is pretty cool.

Holy poo poo, you gave me an erection reading that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renegret posted:

Client: Hey we did a maintenance last night and replaced a whole bunch of line cards in our equipment. Also or some reason everything on those line cards is no longer working. Anyway we think this is a problem with your system and we need you to join a bridge call.

Hey, I have a better idea.

How about no.

I'm gonna bet... There's no SP in the shelf, so the cards have no config.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Rorac posted:

Hell yes dude. This is that good poo poo that makes me feel all warm inside.

...or that's just the booze but the former sounds so much more romantic.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm gonna bet... There's no SP in the shelf, so the cards have no config.

gently caress if I know! I didn't join the bridge.

Haven't heard anything back so I guess they figured it out or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

spog posted:

Holy poo poo, you gave me an erection reading that.

I pictured it going down kinda like this