Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

tote up a bags posted:

scores are now in and everyone seems to love the game, more or less perfect scores across the boa-

edit: mods rename me (hopefully biological) son

you’ll get the name feminine tendencies and you’ll like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Hmm, Im going to ignore my own son for a whole weekend to play dad simulator :thunk:

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Spoilers for first non tutorial boss: I don't think I have ever played a game where I instantly knew who the mocap and voice actor was for a character until now. When I saw The Stranger and his facial expressions I immediately knew it was Jeremy Davies. That's some pretty incredible work on the part of the artists.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I NEED them to add a horse/survival mode to this asap. The combat is too satisfying.

e: not fixing that typo. I’ll take a horse survival mode any day.

e v2.0: just read they’re adding a photo mode soon yesssss

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 20, 2018

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

drat this game is good. It’s managed to recapture that feeling when I started my first play of the original GOW.

Edit: Also, Kratos boat stories.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The animation in this game is really good. Everything moves so goddamn well. In particular, (spoilers for the first boss) when Kratos puts The Stranger into a submission hold is the most brutal thing I've seen in a while.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I NEED them to add a horse/survival mode to this asap. The combat is too satisfying.

e: not fixing that typo. I’ll take a horse survival mode any day.

That doesn't sound that fun, horses love to kill themselves in horrible ways.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
the first plot boss distracted me cause his animations and dialogue is so clearly meant to be floki from vikings but he has a british accent and sounds nothin like him

just played another couple hours and they're much better than the first couple, it opens up quite widely

still not 100% convinced the combat is gonna get good enough to steal the show but I'm liking the game now which I wasn't last night

...im still not very interested in norse mythology though, just a buncha elves and dwarves even if they're different depictions, that said the dwarves are the best bit so far.
I still maintain norse mythology is the most common real life mythology to be portrayed in games, maybe because its the most honkey-based mythology that isnt "real" like christianity

the story is still kinda rote AAA murder-dad stuff but I do kinda like kratos being shoehorned into the role of adventure-dad and obviously hating every moment of it, he's so furious about being in a modern AAA game lmao. kinda sucks that they big up Faye as this big cool warrior but shes fridged offscreen before the game even begins, hope she comes back or something but they've already introduced Competent Lady so I kinda doubt theres room enough for two

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Can you do the thing from the 2016 trailer and throw the axe at a guy to pin him against an object while you punch out a different enemy?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Can you do the thing from the 2016 trailer and throw the axe at a guy to pin him against an object while you punch out a different enemy?

Yes.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
excuse me when did god of war become a gat dang anime

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

1stGear posted:

Since Theseus in God of War 2?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Abisteen posted:

Spoilers for first non tutorial boss: I don't think I have ever played a game where I instantly knew who the mocap and voice actor was for a character until now. When I saw The Stranger and his facial expressions I immediately knew it was Jeremy Davies. That's some pretty incredible work on the part of the artists.

I thought that guy looked familiar! It didn't click right away but that's because I haven't seen him in anything since Lost.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
What’s up with the second boss? As a Hard Nosed GOW Vet :smug: the first boss is always impressive. Hopefully there a few more that are fun

Edit: looks like it was answered right above me :saddowns:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

the_american_dream posted:

What’s up with the second boss? As a Hard Nosed GOW Vet :smug: the first boss is always impressive. Hopefully there a few more that are fun

Edit: looks like it was answered right above me :saddowns:

its pretty slow starting for a GoW game, iirc GoW 3 starts with you scaling olympus and killing like 2 titans and a god before the tutorial is over

i hope it manages to match that kinda spectacle eventually

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

C-Euro posted:

Yeah and you can proceed to line up a few enemies between you and the axed enemy, kick them into each other, and call it back to you ripping through their bodies :black101:

I really have to get good at the parrying system and axe stuff. It adds up for a lot of great combos. I’m getting the hang of the iframe rolls at least.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

My only complaint so far is the lack of custom button mapping. I want to map R3 to the 180 turn rather then press down on the d-pad. Moving to the d-pad feels really awkward in the middle of combat. The alternative controls don't look much better.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Holy gently caress, I just got to the part where you're hunting the boar, and you follow the witch to her house, which is an enormous turtle with a huge tree on it's back. That set piece may be one of the most gorgeous settings I've ever seen in a game. And this is loving God of War.

Goddamn, turn your speakers and subwoofer up really loud when the World Serpent speaks to you. My windows shook.

Sneeing Emu fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 20, 2018

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I woke up at 5am and played until I got to the hub area. Then I left for work, 2 hours late. No regrets this game is amazing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

1stGear posted:

This is pretty goddamn anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP7YPRR0oA4

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Lid posted:

Since Theseus in God of War 2?

Yeah, but the first proper boss fight is kind of on another level.

In other news, I regret getting the Reaver Tunic instead of the shoulderguard. Kratos' pecs were never meant to be contained.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was closer to a Marvel Universe movie action sequence, Kratos literally uses a couple of the Hulks moves in places.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

At first I had reservations, but Kratos with an axe is just so gratifying.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

SettingSun posted:

I think it would be really cool if we got a SotC style remaster of the original GoW and especially GoW II.

They should re-release the first three games as God of War 5, 6, and 7. The only change would be to replace the Greek god names with their Roman equivalents.

"Raah! I'm going to kill you, Jupiter!

Click R3 to activate Praetorian Rage

acksplode
May 17, 2004

That world serpent scene was spectacular, even having already seen it in a trailer. The single tracking shot really pays off with the set pieces. Seamlessly transitioning from gameplay to stuff of that scale while keeping Kratos' perspective helps make it feel so much larger and more fantastic than it did in past games.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The puzzles in this game are so fun. I know they’re nothing crazy complex but they nailed a perfect balance where I always feel accomplished when I find runes or navigate through a tricky setup.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

NNick posted:

My only complaint so far is the lack of custom button mapping. I want to map R3 to the 180 turn rather then press down on the d-pad. Moving to the d-pad feels really awkward in the middle of combat. The alternative controls don't look much better.

The moment you get that ability, there is a tool tip that says you can remap that to whatever you want.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

SettingSun posted:

I'm playing on the balanced difficulty and I died twice to the first boss so I can only imagine what the game is like on the highest difficulty. Probably has similar vibes to the Titan difficulty in GoW II.

it is extremely hard. i gave up and restarted on the challenging mode cause i rented it and didnt want to spend hours on one encounter dying in one hit over and over

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
gently caress I'm going to buy this and there goes the weekend and my responsibilities.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The highest difficulty is pretty miserable if for no reason other than the enemies that require your kid to help you and he's pretty much constantly knocked down.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Yeah, in the hardest difficulty you have to fight in the most boring way. Let the boy carry you, keep running and doing small attacks / throwing axe millions of times.

How to make higher difficulties better: new enemy mechanics, better IA, new enemies compositions, ....

They really need to rebalance, gonna have a try at the lower ones to see which one has the sweet spot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How's do the normal and second-highest difficulties compare? Is it one of those situations where "Give Me a Balanced Experience" is too easy and "Give Me a Challenge" is too big of a leap above that, or is one of those a decent sweet spot?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm playing on Give me God of War or whatever difficulty. Game is fine but kind of just feels and plays (combatwise anyway) like Dark Souls but designed for normies.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

It’s hard to say about the difficulty right now. On one hand the combat is punishingly hard, but as I’m getting the hang of the combos and combat flow it’s really starting to click.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Harrow posted:

How's do the normal and second-highest difficulties compare? Is it one of those situations where "Give Me a Balanced Experience" is too easy and "Give Me a Challenge" is too big of a leap above that, or is one of those a decent sweet spot?

I haven't tried Challenge, but Balanced seems fine. You can't just button-mash through enemies but you don't need to employ some Tier 1 Strats.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Random useful things I’ve found:

Always be throwing that axe at weak points

Learn the iframes and dodge a ton

Don’t forget about the MY SON button

Juggle everything you can juggle

L1 shield parry whenever you can

I’m finding that adopting a kill the adds mmo style approach helps a lot. Knock off the wimpy annoying enemies and then work on the bigs

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
im holding out hope there are other weapons than just the axe but i kinda doubt it

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

nopantsjack posted:

im holding out hope there are other weapons than just the axe but i kinda doubt it

Your fists :black101:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

I'm playing on Challenge difficulty and it's pretty hard to my average gamer sensibilities. Definitely not like a Horizon or Uncharted situation where the Normal is a bit too easy. Kratos dies real fast and there is a learning curve as you come to blend more of your abilities together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Did I miss something in GoW 3 about how Kratos lost the Chaos Blades or is that just another mystery I'm sure we'll find out n this one?