Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I have yet to see Aether in a JRPG.

Heretics, I say.

You need to play XIV then because they never stop talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

I have yet to see Aether in a JRPG.

Heretics, I say.

I think sometimes atelier games have aether (and phlogiston and all that goodness)

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

I think sometimes atelier games have aether (and phlogiston and all that goodness)

OP should check out VII, Aether shows up for a minute but she dies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

teh_Broseph posted:

OP should check out VII, Aether shows up for a minute but she dies.

Her name is Aeser you weeb.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The name Aeser was the original intended pronunciation and word attributed to the character, stemming from the Nordic mythology of the Aesir, who were a pantheon of bloodthirsty warrior gods who would feast and fight in Valhalla, a place where warriors are eternally reincarnated to fight, alluding to how you can recruit her back into the party by visiting the slums church in Disc 3 after defeating the superbosses, the greatest warriors of the Planet. It's also the root of why she is the most gungho and physically strongest party member in FF7.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

seiferguy posted:

Edit: upon further thought I think he meant this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_(gay_culture)

gladio then

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Gladio is 100% twunk

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I’ve seen Crono’s element translated as Aether since it’s supposed to be more “Heaven” than “Lightning” (since he’s Jesus).

Please don’t make light of my Sabin/Gladio fanfiction.

e: jk Sabin is clearly asexual.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He's Punchsexual like Goku.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

esperterra posted:

He's Punchsexual like Goku.

he can... only get it up when someone is punching him????

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

The White Dragon posted:

No, that's a masochist.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

The White Dragon posted:

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

I resent that. The bear trap doesn't go onto my leg.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

wrong thread!!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Vanille sex???

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I thought she got the giant robot summon for that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

Her name is Aeser you weeb.

The correct intended localization was Aerosol.

That idea...

...got canned.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Did anybody post this?
Hardest FF Final Bosses

quote:

15. Yu Yevon
14: Orphan
13. The Dark King (Mystic Quest)
12. Emperor Mateus
11. Safer-Sephiroth
10. Ultima The High Seraph (FFTactics)
9. Ardyn
8. Kefka
7. Neo-ExDeath
6. The Undying
5. Zeromus
4. Necron
3. Chaos
2. Ultimecia
1. Cloud of Darkness

They appear to be using Orphan 2. Orphan 1 is significantly harder than most every boss on that list in my opinion. I'd swap it and Ultimecia. Ultimecia is tough on paper but...it's FFVIII so in reality she's a joke.

Also while they used NES Cloud of Darkness, I can agree with her being #1.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They can't even be pedantic right, if Yu Yevon is the FF10 final boss then lifestream Sephiroth is the FF7 final boss and even easier.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

How the gently caress is Ardyn halfway up it's basically a cutscene battle

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have issues with the placement of Neo ExDeath and The Undying not because they are not intrinsically challenging but because those games practically beg you to break them so it seems very difficult to assess the proper "power level of the player" to estimate the actual boss difficulty

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Chaos isn't the third-hardest final boss in Final Fantasy. Hell, I'm pretty sure he's not even the third-hardest boss in Final Fantasy I.

EDIT: Also, no loving way is NED basically the middle. Especially not if directly behind him is Kefka, who's so easy that I outran his scripting and skipped several phases of his fight accidentally, the first time I ever fought him. NED's at least top four, even if FFV is so heavily codified now that we understand every inch of him.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 20, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah that list makes no fuckin sense. Jecht isnt even on the list? Also the real boss Orphan is pretty challenging since he can just sort of kill you without any warning if you are unlucky

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 20, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
A lot of the bosses are pretty easy. Ultima, Sephiroth, and Kefka I don't remember having trouble with. Those games give you tons of tools, and by end game they are all possibly at your command.

Necron I remember having a small amount, and I agree with Cloud of Darkness being #1.

I don't remember the rest. (And some I have not played)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

How the gently caress is Ardyn halfway up it's basically a cutscene battle

I would argue it's pretty hard...to keep wanting to play FF15 long enough to get to him.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

My favourite part of that list is how it includes 2 arbitrary spin-offs and no others.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm going to put you in a toilet

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

My favourite part of that list is how it includes 2 arbitrary spin-offs and no others.

Shuyin would probably be at the bottom.

Caius' Bahamuts can apparently be pretty tough if you don't do any side content.

That's all I got.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Doesn't even have 14's final boss - getting 3 lines in that stupid loving sticker book

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

AlphaKretin posted:

Even better is that both of them are on the easier side of the list. I guess the maker just wanted to fill in the mmo slots, but there are probably harder final bosses in at least one of the spinoffs. Crystal Chronicles gave me and my friends some trouble. Revenant wings was also loving impossible if you did everything else.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 20, 2018

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bahamut Caius has nothing on the badass giraffes a couple fights prior at the start of that boss rush. Giraffes and man-Caius were both rougher, bahamuts were a standard FF13 attrition fight.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saint Freak posted:

Doesn't even have 14's final boss - getting 3 lines in that stupid loving sticker book
I did that twice and I quit before Stormblood, you gotta get good :sloppy:

(don't even get good, just get lucky with 7 rerolls and hit your 11%er to finish them off, it was insane)

e: found my screenshot with proof+bonus chat cameo of best-goon-player-name Lusty Argonian

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 20, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cleretic posted:

Chaos isn't the third-hardest final boss in Final Fantasy. Hell, I'm pretty sure he's not even the third-hardest boss in Final Fantasy I.

Which version, and how would you order the FFI bosses? Cure 4 is pretty much an instant "you lose" if he lives that long, but I haven't played it in years.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I don't remember ultimecia being that hard? Maybe it's because I keep everyone's health low and go ham on the limit breaks.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ItBreathes posted:

Which version, and how would you order the FFI bosses? Cure 4 is pretty much an instant "you lose" if he lives that long, but I haven't played it in years.

Which version of FF1? The NES version is by far the hardest.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ItBreathes posted:

My experience is primarily with the GBA version, so it is skewed and I'm trying to mentally omit the Soul of Chaos spoils from my estimations, but I feel like I definitely found Lich harder ('cause he's in that stretch where you haven't really been able to hit your stride yet), and I believe one of the other fiends. Probably Tiamat. Chaos was a bit of a slugfest, but he wasn't really hard.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Another thing to remember here, though, is that in NES FFI Chaos had very little HP, they gave him ten times the health in the GBA version just so he had some staying power. Chaos is basically the only thing that could be considered appreciably harder in the GBA version.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah, I meant which version was he referring to when he said Chaos wasn't top 3. I've only played the NES version and remember him being pretty hard, but like I said, it's been a while.

^^^ I guess I've always BANE'd Tiamat, so I have no idea how hard he is if you actually try to fight him.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Listicles are dumb.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NikkolasKing posted:

Did anybody post this?
Hardest FF Final Bosses

They appear to be using Orphan 2. Orphan 1 is significantly harder than most every boss on that list in my opinion. I'd swap it and Ultimecia. Ultimecia is tough on paper but...it's FFVIII so in reality she's a joke.

Also while they used NES Cloud of Darkness, I can agree with her being #1.

IDK how the hell someone could rate Chaos so highly unless they're playing through the game on a low level challenge run. Just playing through normally means you're going to have a knight or master that can gently caress him up, especially with FAST. If you spent some time leveling then you can 1-2 shot him with a master because of their crazy damage growth. He's going to be even easier in the remakes because unlike the NES version of FF1, buffs work properly in the remakes and if you have the giant's gauntlet you can buff up your already strong master in to a hilariously overkill murderbeast.

The real list should be most/all of them sharing the bottom ranking because FF bosses are only difficult if you're doing a challenge run of some kind or literally know nothing about the game beyond mashing the attack button. And even then you can kill some of them (chaos) just fine that way if you were grinding your way through the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I just got the Giant's Gloves in my PSP FF1 playthrough and you're right. They're hilariously OP. The Master is a Death Star. With buffs, he and my Knight killed Kraken in 3 hits.