Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Yeah, but Lucas a) made the movies, b) on time, c) without asking for backers money, So your comparison is kinda, as we highly educated people say, mootastic and dumbtacular.

Also: Lol at the "secret build". If they have one then it's the one that adds properly rendered profiteroles to the mess hall tech.

Wait, profiterole tech is IN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The secret build has fried eggs never before seen in the annals of gaming history.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

ManofManyAliases posted:

I originally spent 8k, but not all for me: I have an organization and there was an agreement on the onset that given the amount of gameplay we share together over the years, we would partake in the upfront cost of acquiring what we would eventually want to get in-game instead of dealing with monthly contributions over X period of time (also, we wanted it all on one-two accounts so that we'd get perks like concierge, etc). My personal stake in this all is less than 3k, which still is absurd - I know - but over the course of say 60 months, is around $50 a month. I've spent that on CS:Go alone in one month no prob. And I have plans to sell off some of what I acquired either before launch or right after.

Hey MoMA! Can you post a video of yourself playing this $50/month value game?

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

EightAce posted:

They are not complicit in a scam they are doing What their paid to do . Lots of these guys could end up unemployed because of the actions of the bad news bears.

Good. They aren't actually gainfully employed at the moment whether they know it or not.

ManBearCat
Mar 22, 2018

ManofManyAliases posted:

I know I've been silent on this for a while now and that I'm not the MoMA of old, but here is where I have to comment:

Chris is not actively defrauding backers or enticing others to be complicit in a scam for purposes of padding one's pocket. You are all (mostly) intelligent folk and to think that a game dev from days-past has come to the light once again in final attempt to create the game he has envisioned would so publicly try to pull a 'fast-one' in front of 2 million+ individuals would not only be brazen, but downright idiotic in today's political and legal climate. Government agencies are out for blood, especially in this hosed-up administration because missteps can so easily lead to lack of funding. The judiciary face the same scrutiny and I would imagine that many would err on the side of caution and conservation instead of being so fast-and-loose with decisions.

OK - all of that said (and why I still need to make this disclaimer after all this time is beyond me, but I'm not affiliated with CIG in any other way than an overzealous backer): I see Chris and team in a similar light to Lucas and the production of SW Episodes 1 - 3. Lucas came back to "finish" his masterpiece because he said the technology final caught up to his vision, and I compare that to Roberts thinking that he can finally substantiate his vision into something tangible. There's no other explanation for his attitude, passion and antics except that he must really believe that his vision can be accomplished with current tech and resources, so much so that he turned the dial to 11 with over 400+ employees under his employ.

No disrespect Don, but you're no one to think you can hold his neck under your boot. I don't know if you're a backer or not, but whether you have skin-in-the-game is moot: Chris and team will continue to chug forward collectively. 60+ Open positions, half of which are art or back-office related, are not a good indicator of collective business success. And to over a counterpoint: neither is the current state of the game. No - my personal feeling is that the current code base, current iteration that is backer-facing and current attitude is one that is 2 steps behind what CIG is privately working. They have contracted resources assisting with the netcode and are likely working on a scalability model for AWS, none of which fall under the umbrella of "open development" because it could be proprietary and simply not ready for public consumption. Not everything CIG does needs to be broadcast, especially if it's not ready (which I know is par for the course in some aspects).

In any event, the "fleecing of backers" so claimed by many of you is not on CIG. There's not force - there's no gun-to-the-head - for someone to back the game. Anyone could just as easily sit-out and watch, but if someone wanted to partake in play it's been well established since the kickstarter that money spent is on development. Promises made at this time to deliver a certain type of gameplay that got enveloped in scope-creep probably should have been re-evaluated and/or conceded. But after the first moves into the direction of an expansion of scope, I think it became clear to many (certainly not all) where the vision was heading.

Scams have gone on for several decades in highly regulated markets (with no gun-to-the-head at any point) so the idea that this whole mess is not one because the "govt. agencies" are out for blood is laughable.

I don't know what this game was supposed to be when this adventure started but right now, after all these years, it's a project that can not show us the money because there is no "money", no secret build, nothing. What you see is what you get and it has been like this for more than 2 years, except they manage to make the performance worse with every patch.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

Wait, profiterole tech is IN?

Once the choux 2.0 pipeline went online, it was only a matter of time. They have not revealed it because they are waiting for the mille-feuille rendered to be finished as part of the dessert initiative.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I never claimed to not be interested. poo poo, I am an 'original backer'. My problem is that thus far this has the developmental scope of a small indie title that's being mismanaged by a guy that believes he is the only one capable of delivering a vehicle for his missus. My *problem* has always been that Chris is talking absolute poo poo about his own game, and requires everyone else to chase around cleaning up the procedural birds and generated cities into a coherent whole.

poo poo, now's a good time to go read the letter that Ortwin sent to Cali AG again, because it's hilarious after all this time.

See, that's the biggest problem with the Star Citizens; they assume that everyone is the same as they are, the poor hype-crazed idiots. They transfer their hopes and dreams to this on the assumption that it's going to hit all the notes for them.

The fallout over NMS is going to be a storm in a teacup compared with the fallout here.

ColonoscopyExp posted:

Good. They aren't actually gainfully employed at the moment whether they know it or not.

Kettle's counsel is reminding you of the defamation suit.

ManBearCat posted:

so the idea that this whole mess is not one because the "govt. agencies" are out for blood is laughable.

Seriously, the regulatory framework is in tatters right now. Theranos raised $19 Billion. 'B' Billion. Not a gun in sight.

Would sex.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

You are all (mostly) intelligent folk

you take that back :argh:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

G0RF posted:

VG247: Everspace dev paid thousands to influencers who were “poo poo at playing the game”

Wait... This actually happens? But I thought they all just played for the sheer love of it?

Today is the day my innocence was lost... At least I have the comfort of knowing nothing that is not 100% above board takes place in the realm of Star Citizen streaming.

(But seriously this is a pretty interesting article.)

The entire article is a good look at the paid streamer sausage being made, which never looks good. And there are some funny and interesting comments, including the appearance of space game enthusiast, Goon and Star Citizen Snarker (i.e. terrible person) Brian Rubin over at SpaceGameJunkie.

(Brian can’t be trusted of course because he’s an obvious Hater with malevolent intent. He couldn’t even finish his most recent playthrough of Wing Commander, so annoyed was he by the gameplay...)

Article has a brief Star Citizen mention too, and improbably, of the parties featured in the whole thing, CIG ends up coming off better than the others highlighted simply because they plugged the game as part of the “a rising tide lifts all space games” spirit and that lead to a lot of new converts without (presumably) any kickbacks or paid streams or truthbending requires. So that was a nice gracenote on a rather wince inducing article.

EDIT: Scooped by Hav now, too... :argh:.

lol

I wonder who the streamer was. I'd be pretty pissed if I paid 5 grand to someone to advertise for me and all they did was bitch that I was forcing them do something.

gamers are the worst

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
5 grand?

gently caress that. Give me $500 and I'll play any game for two hours.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Renegret posted:

lol

I wonder who the streamer was. I'd be pretty pissed if I paid 5 grand to someone to advertise for me and all they did was bitch that I was forcing them do something.

gamers are the worst

Imagine paying a few grand and what you get in return is wall to wall idiocy, MoMA, your thoughts?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Renegret posted:

lol

gamers are the worst

Instead of being pissed you should have known that bitching about the sponsored games is pretty common among high/mid-tier streamers. Viewers are extremely hostile and vocal about paid streams so most streamers, in order to avoid being called a sell-out, will remind them a billion times that they are being paid for it. (yeah, that sounds kind of counter-intuitive but what can you do?)

And god have mercy on the soul of the streamers that put lovely sponsored content on youtube. A minor reason they ask for so much money for playing the sponsored games (besides companies being willing to pay, of course) is that they are going to lose some subscribers over it.

So, indeed, gamers are the worst.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 20, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Ballparking here, but let's say the referral company takes half that 5 grand payment.

I'll say anything you want about your lovely rear end game for $2,500 for two hours

Even star citizen, because I am a whore.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

gamers, streamers and youtubers are all the worst so they kinda deserve each other

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/985132740092809216
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/985541759798308864
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/985574730983002118

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

trucutru posted:

Instead of being pissed you should have known that bitching about the sponsored games is pretty common among high/mid-tier streamers. Viewers are extremely hostile and vocal about paid streams so most streamers, in order to avoid being called a sell-out, will remind them a billion times that they are being paid for it. (yeah, that sounds kind of counter-intuitive but what can you do?)

And god have mercy on the soul of the streamers that put lovely sponsored content on youtube. A minor reason they ask for so much money for playing the sponsored games (besides companies being willing to pay, of course) is that they are going to lose some subscribers over it.

So, indeed, gamers are the worst.

lmao

gently caress, my 60 hours of PubG has been interrupted with a different game :argh: SELLOUTS :argh: :argh: :argh:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Renegret posted:

lol

gamers are the worst

I believe some streamers/youtube channels have to state if they were paid to "review" or play a game/use a product. Contracts and legalese stuff.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Yes your quote by that science guy is good but check this one out from a sci fi program :smug:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I can only read this to the tune of "How deep is your love"

'Cause we're living in a world of fools
Breaking us down when they all should let us be

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Renegret posted:

Ballparking here, but let's say the referral company takes half that 5 grand payment.

I'll say anything you want about your lovely rear end game for $2,500 for two hours

Even star citizen, because I am a whore.

Honestly, if you're making less than that a month, there's worse things you can do.

I know I'd take that kind of money, because after the 2 or 3 hours of streaming poo poo, getting back to an actual game would be fantastic.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I believe some streamers/youtube channels have to state if they were paid to "review" or play a game/use a product. Contracts and legalese stuff.

They totally do

What I mean is that there's a difference between saying "Hey I'm getting paid to play Everspace for a few hours" vs. bitching a moaning for two hours about how your Destiny 2 got interrupted for some dumb space game that you haven't even tried yet. Then just half assing it and doing whatever for your required time instead of making an actual effort to do your god drat job that you're getting paid for.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 20, 2018

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Agony Aunt posted:

'Cause we're living in a world of fools
Breaking us down when they all should let us be

We belong to CIG

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

peter gabriel posted:

We belong to CIG

loving hell. Coffee everywhere.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Another one from the Department of Nuclear Takes:

https://twitter.com/SC_Logicorp/status/987378854028165121

lmbo

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Not talking about goons then i presume? AFAIK, most goons want SC to succeed so they can get in game and goon. There is a difference between having lulz at hosed up development and bullshit and wanting something to fail. Either way, fail or succeed, goons win.

Oh look, its the micromachines game. Used to love playing that on the Amiga.

What is RAUS anyway? Rodents Are Unusually Sized?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

They totally do

What I mean is that there's a difference between saying "Hey I'm getting paid to play Everspace for a few hours" vs. bitching a moaning for two hours about how your Destiny 2 got interrupted for some dumb space game that you haven't even tried yet.

I'm more bothered that these are 'influencers', apparently.

peter gabriel posted:

Yes your quote by that science guy is good but check this one out from a sci fi program :smug:

He's replying to Scaramucci, one of the few guys to lose a job the day before he got the job by not knowing what 'the record' is, and why you have to establish whether you're on it or not when talking to a Journalist.

Hell, I preface conversations with my friends who are journos that anything I talk about with regard to my company is off the record.

Agony Aunt posted:

Raus, German for 'out', I believe.

vvvv Entire population of the planet and server in one screenshot.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Uh. Unnnh. I don't like the way those cars move, it's unnatural.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

peter gabriel posted:

We belong to CIG

:five:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Agony Aunt posted:

Well uh... 'JUDEN RAUS' was a popular family board game in Nazi Germany wherein you uh... made all the Jews go away...

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Those cars look like poo poo. Zero jitters on the headlights. no acceleration deceleration. It's poop.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Well uh... 'JUDEN RAUS' was a popular family board game in Nazi Germany wherein you uh... made all the Jews go away...

It was actually a slogan contemporaneous to the era, so it's usually fun for someone to use it. There's a number of dog whistles that the ...ah... 'types' use with one another.

'Goonen Raus' is something we should steal.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

MedicineHut posted:

I was going to say, is the golf swing (again) what mining really is? Because if yes, loving lol

Nope, mining is a fishing mini-game in the vein of BoF 3 or Stardew valley. Really.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

it's flappy bird

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Renegret posted:

They totally do

What I mean is that there's a difference between saying "Hey I'm getting paid to play Everspace for a few hours" vs. bitching a moaning for two hours about how your Destiny 2 got interrupted for some dumb space game that you haven't even tried yet. Then just half assing it and doing whatever for your required time instead of making an actual effort to do your god drat job that you're getting paid for.

I gather that you have not seen the reaction of viewers to paid streams? It is incredibly hostile, so saying poo poo about a game (specially if it's lovely) is a common defense mechanism. The job of the streamer is to keep a gaggle of gamers entertained, and this involves a lot of compromises.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

I still maintain that a sizeable percentage of CIG's employees are as taken by the scam as the backers are, if not moreso.

Skyrim Crater Taxxe:

I wouldn't be surprised. Back when the Steorn/Orbo scam was still going, in one of SA threads someone knew a employee and said that she honestly believed that they were going to produce free energy and change the world.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Renegret posted:

They totally do

Why would you expect any less from a manchild?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ManofManyAliases posted:

Chris is not actively defrauding backers or enticing others to be complicit in a scam for purposes of padding one's pocket.
You're right of course.

He's doing it to pad his drug dealer's pocket.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Beet Wagon posted:

uhhh...I really did NOT need to know that.

As per the question, RAUS is basically 'get out' in german and yea, I kinda hate that it got associated with nazis cause it's pretty cathartic to say it like so to someone that has really outstayed their welcome 'RRRRRRRAUS!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

Not talking about goons then i presume? AFAIK, most goons want SC to succeed so they can get in game and goon. There is a difference between having lulz at hosed up development and bullshit and wanting something to fail. Either way, fail or succeed, goons win.
I want Star Citizen to fail. I want Chris Roberts reduced to giving wavy handjobs for pennies. I want Sandi to find her only career option is back in softcore tickle porn. I want Alexis to divorce Ben, get half his Wing Commander collection and burn it in front of him. I want Hobo Lando's beard to catch fire. I'm a man of simple and vindictive tastes.