Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Batman v Superman has visuals and themes, something that no season of Game of Thrones has provided so far.

Explain how. 500 word minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

nine-gear crow posted:

You fool! You've doomed us all!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kind of a silly thing to say - even the most commercial and empty products have themes. y'know like bvs. or justice league.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i have like BVS/MOS ptsd at this point. The CD comic book thread is a non stop circle jerk about those movies. Every goddamn comic book movie is held to THAT standard, and it's super alienating and quite frankly, boring as hell to read. And it's always the same like 4 people too.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

oh good, this means I can do another Pa Kent rant. :getin:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

pa kent was the worst part of man of steel and that's saying something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

BigRed0427 posted:

You fool! You've doomed us all!

Hell, if you want I could bump it up to 1,000 words and make it a mod challenge that hinges on him being threadbanned if he fails. But I don't want it to blow up in my face because he's a spite elemental and will write a 2,000 essay just to make us all suffer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He will do it. Please make him do Game of Thrones

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CelticPredator posted:

i have like BVS/MOS ptsd at this point. The CD comic book thread is a non stop circle jerk about those movies. Every goddamn comic book movie is held to THAT standard, and it's super alienating and quite frankly, boring as hell to read. And it's always the same like 4 people too.

Nah, not really.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

celtic predator, as is often the case, is right as hell.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

I have never seen BVS or MOS. I don’t look at CD. However, I know more about BVS and MOS from random thread details than I do about movies I’ve seen 5-10 times.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The main thing I remember about Pa Kent is that every time he appeared in MoS, he was giving Supes an entirely different and contradictory moral lesson. Like, it seemed that he was implicitly being set up as an opposite moral/philosophical influence to Jor-El, but he seemed to more often be in argument with himself.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

The main thing I remember about Pa Kent is that every time he appeared in MoS, he was giving Supes an entirely different and contradictory moral lesson. Like, it seemed that he was implicitly being set up as an opposite moral/philosophical influence to Jor-El, but he seemed to more often be in argument with himself.

It would have been extremely cool if the 'moral' with Pa Kent was that he was actually just a terrified country boy trying to raise a super-being who he did truly love as a son. Like, instead of the big christ like place he got just having a moment of acknowledgement that yea his big moral speeches seemed to be made up on the fly to fit what was currently happening...you know like actual humans do when they're trying to guide someone to the best they can.

In the comics they do it well! Pa has a very clear moral framework. Do the best you can, offer a hand to those who are hurting, let people surprise you even if it's bad sometimes. It's incredibly generic 'salt of the earth' style stuff but it works because it's consistent and there are issues where Superman is all 'ok that advice was good for a man who's main struggle was keeping his family farm alive but I'm dealing with a space nazi with a planet buster so maybe I have to disappoint Pa and that's ok because we're both just people doing our best'.

The movie tried to make it into some weird iron clad code that Clark obeyed at all costs because it was given down from heaven.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I like Saberspark's continued coverage on North Korean cartoons. Especially this Lion King one since it looks like a ride although the later part of that Squirrel cartoon had better animation.

Karloff posted:

For me, any critic who I'll watch/read has to come from a place of love for film, so naming a channel Your Movie Sucks* was already a red flag for me, because I hate the whole "Movies are inherently poo poo, aren't I better than them" attitude. Negative reviews are fine, funny negative reviews even better, but I find it far more...truthful... I guess when a bad review comes from a place of disappointment, not entitled rage.

I watched his Looper review once and it got to the bit where he was complaining about "OMG, cars don't brake like that, unrealistic, bad movie", which made him seem like Cinemasins tier rubbish so I bailed. Looks like that wasn't a mistake on my part.

*Probably an Ebert reference, but still, point still stands.

Empty quote.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wrageowrapper posted:

Stop talking about anime and watch the third rather depressing part of Lindsays Hobbit review instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7t_g5QObs

This is great in its efficiency and the deliberateness with which it unveils the inevitable mechanisms of capitalism through a really nice case study. And I had no loving idea Warner Bros did a United Fruit to a sovereign nation for some loving mediocre turds of movies that nobody will even remember in five years. Not that I’m surprised, but I guess I have this lingering belief that the crimes of capitalists at least accomplish something notable for the capitalists rather than just being part of how they inexorably, mercilessly grind nature and man down to nothing as a part of day-to-day business.

Numbness at how inescapable the horrors of capitalism are doesn’t necessarily seem like the best response, since it’s not within your power to refuse participation in the system. The idea of ethical consumption is kind of perverse because it puts the burden on you while denying that the system is inherently unethical—not that a series on film criticism should go full revolutionary or something. But it’s good to show people the inside of the machine sometimes from the perspective of something that they care about, so that was a nice bow to tie on at the end.

But I feel like I should point out that capitalism reproduces itself partially by making itself seem inevitable and wearing people down. But keep in mind always that another world is possible.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

Sure.

Game of Thrones is a landmark in television production, showing remarkable technical and logistical achievements in television, with countless man-hours consumed by the accomplishment of its practical and digital effects. But there is absolutely no artistry to Game of Thrones. For all of its sweeping landscapes, complex costuming, and large-scale sets, it is only notable on the level of budgeting and logistics. That Game of Thrones has no “visuals” means that there is no imagery worth remembering in it.

From Ada Palmer’s article Hollow Crown: Shakespeare’s Histories in the Age of Netflix

Its cinematography is merely functional. Scenes are staged and shot drably. Even the costuming is stunningly unimaginative, and the series has helped innovate the dull look that dominates modern historical drama. This is a period of history that loved the colourful and the gaudy, something acknowledged repeatedly in the turgid original novels, yet most everyone in the series is draped in mute leathers or furs.

Much can be excused by the nature and demands of television, but not all. Providing striking cinematography is not television’s forte, but Game of Thrones simply does not look good. Its creators have evidently forgotten some lessons from theatre. Neither theatre nor television are really in the business of visual storytelling, as much as in providing visual elements to stage and frame performances and narrative. Both theatre and television depend on regularity, consistency, and reuse of visual elements – with Henry V one finds Shakespeare explicitly struggling with the great changes of scenery. Thus one might suggest that in theatrical drama and television, visuals are a question of establishing a distinct and flexible visual identity, attractive but unobtrusive. Thus we cannot help but to notice how Game of Thrones looks worse than Blackadder. Can anyone say that they truly enjoy looking at the dragons more than the ruffles in the second series (I willingly court controversy by naming it as my favourite season)? It wasn't really my idea to compare Batman v. Superman, a movie, to Game of Thrones, a television series, but the former’s vibrant visuals show success in its field, while Game of Thrones is visually inexpressive. In the field of television, the show’s visual successes are few, like the White Walkers.

And that example leads us to themes, because everyone will agree that the White Walkers are some of the most boring antagonists to ever grace television. They serve in the role of Satanic evil, but are mute B-movies villains without any character to them. We see Doomsday in Batman v Superman as a horrible, perverse reflection, but the White Walkers nothing. They perfectly illustrate the vacuity of the series, providing ineffective apocalyptic horror that is detached from bulk of the action, which is bland feudal intrigues. That Game of Thrones is without “themes” means that it is without insight into its subject matter. Its chief contribution to public discourse has been the title phrase itself, impressing more on the strength of its brand than any insight into Machiavellian politics.

Fantasy can convey truth, but it will just as easily drift apart from reality. Game of Thrones features an endless series of crimes and atrocities, but they only function to induce shock and surprise. The purpose of every scene is to build up to and justify the next big twist. It’s too broad to say anything in specific, but too narrow to provide anything but repetitive shocks and transgressions. Batman v. Superman has something to say about the world with its fantastical superhero setting. It even managed to predict that piss-related conspiracies would matter on a national stage. The reason CD keeps coming back to two Superman movies is that they are one of the few superhero movies of lasting values. Even people who love the latest superhero movies recognize and treat them as basically disposable. Likewise, any insights of Game of Thrones might possess are immaterial next to comparing Donald Trump to Joffrey or other nonsense like that.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 21, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

a medical mystery posted:

everyone wants to copy MST3K with all of the sass and none of the creativity or optimism

I still say the reason Allison is good is because she actually loving likes movies, which is apparently impossible for YMS and people like that. Like no poo poo Cool Cat isn't good but it's also pretty funny and you don't have to be a dick about it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

B-

Could use more concrete detail and examples, less generalization. Good hustle though.

:golfclap:

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

corn in the bible posted:

I still say the reason Allison is good is because she actually loving likes movies, which is apparently impossible for YMS and people like that. Like no poo poo Cool Cat isn't good but it's also pretty funny and you don't have to be a dick about it

It had a great story, engaging characters, original storytelling, a tight plot, and didn't overstay its welcome. I haven't had this much fun watching a movie in months. This is easily a top-3 movie of the year for me and I'll I've already pre-ordered the Blu-Ray.

6/10

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I can't think of any striking or interesting visuals in BvS and the fact that Game of Thrones is bad does not make BvS good

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

Could use more concrete detail and examples

Here's one: there's no reason as to why the costuming in Game of Thrones shouldn't have been based on late Renaissance clothing. Every single scene would be improved by inclusion of ruffles. Imagine how beautiful it would be.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 21, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I mean negativity sells on youtube. Apparently pedophilia does too, if those "1 kill = 1 strip with my 13yo sister" videos were any indication.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yeah, Allison is my fave because I just want to have a chill time talking about movies, not constant talk about how blank movie sucks rear end or whatever.

of course I still bingewatch her Charmed reviews so-

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Shauns German clone, three Arrows, has a video about refugees. Fun times!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0g0BDEid8M

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Leal posted:

I mean negativity sells on youtube. Apparently pedophilia does too, if those "1 kill = 1 strip with my 13yo sister" videos were any indication.

I am really loving confused as to how that of all things became a fad. Even if it's blatantly fake because no one in their right mind would do that poo poo for real for YouTube, I just don't even understand why people would A) make that, or B) watch that.

Oh wait, because internet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is why I used to like Spoony when he would do Reb Brown videos

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Leal posted:

i'm sorry what?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Adlai Stevenson posted:

It had a great story, engaging characters, original storytelling, a tight plot, and didn't overstay its welcome. I haven't had this much fun watching a movie in months. This is easily a top-3 movie of the year for me and I'll I've already pre-ordered the Blu-Ray.

6/10

There’s a Cool Cat sequel that I’m sure is old news by now, but it makes me a little cool on the whole Cool Cat idea. Seems a little tone-deaf:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cool-cat-stops-a-school-shooting-a-safety-film--2#/

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

i'm sorry what?

A PUBG streamer claimed he was basically going to do a "strip poker" type deal and have his underage sister remove a piece of clothing for each kill he made.

THANKFULLY, it was pure clickbait and the underage and sister part of it was a fabrication.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/13/17231470/fortnite-strip-clickbait-touchdalight-ricegum-youtube (apologies for Polygon but it was the most indepth article on the thing I could find)

She was another youtube "celebrity" and the guy is basically a "professional clickbait artist."

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 21, 2018

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

SatansBestBuddy posted:

i'm sorry what?

Search "kill strip" on YouTube and you will get fuckjillions of results, including Asian Jake Paul. It'd be bad enough if it was just one person making cringey clickbait like that, but like... loving everyone is doing it all of a sudden, it's really weird.

business hammocks posted:

There’s a Cool Cat sequel that I’m sure is old news by now, but it makes me a little cool on the whole Cool Cat idea. Seems a little tone-deaf:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cool-cat-stops-a-school-shooting-a-safety-film--2#/

It's not just tone-deaf, it's "born without ears and just a smooth, billiard ball surface where they should be". It'd be like putting out "Cool Cat Stops Airline Hijacking" on July 4, 2002.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That Cool Cat movie needs to happen, holy poo poo.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Okay, can we talk about this? I know this is just a production still during the literal only shot where Cool Cat has angry eyes, but this bit on the IndieGogo looks like Cool Cat is about to make Daddy Derek call him daddy instead.

BONUS:

quote:

-“Cool Cat is a Cleaver Series!” - Rupert Murdoch, News Corporation, 20th Century Fox

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

business hammocks posted:

Huh, I saw a Cool Cat twitter account talking about making Cool Cat stops a School shooting, I honestly thought it was a parody.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Those Hobbit reviews were dope. Had a debate with a friend about whether it or the RLM Prequel breakdowns were better. We ended up agreeing they were doing different things but both were really well put together.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

B-

Could use more concrete detail and examples, less generalization. Good hustle though.

:golfclap:

I for one cherish Lamps posts and the unwarranted vitriol they get.

I'm also in favor of BotL derails.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't want to be too condescending and credulous but... What? the Plinkett stuff isn't even in the same league as Lindsay's mini-documentary/analysis given part 3. MAYBE taking into account the relative maturity of the medium at the time but even then.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They're very similar in how they deconstruct three failures of movies that sorta ended up ruining the originals almost retroactively. Just goofier and sillier. Less serious because Lucas being a bad director is about as serious as deconstructing the prequels can get. Both do similar things, but one has darker undertones.

And it ain't the one where a serial killer feeds women to his flesh eating cockroaches!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I don't want to be too condescending and credulous but... What? the Plinkett stuff isn't even in the same league as Lindsay's mini-documentary/analysis given part 3. MAYBE taking into account the relative maturity of the medium at the time but even then.

There's a level of smugness and elitism in Ellis' reviews that I find rather off-putting. The Plinkett reviews are occasionally funny and don't take themselves that seriously.

The rape/murder poo poo in the Plinkett reviews sucks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah there is no way Lindsay is way better. Her stuff is fine but not all that great.

I like the RLM stuff better with the exception of the weird rape poo poo which doesn’t serve a purpose. Just makes poo poo uncomfortable.