Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
GOW 3 spoilers (I think it's been long enough but I'm not sure)

Do they address the fact that Kratos somehow survived impaling himself at the end of GoW3 and just laying down to bleed out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

Do they address the fact that Kratos somehow survived impaling himself at the end of GoW3 and just laying down to bleed out?

Not really, there's and end of credits scene (IIRC) that shows the place where he impaled himself and we don't see a body, just a trail of blood

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Probably not. It shows his trail of blood going off the cliff implying he survived getting gutted for like the umpteenth time in GOW3

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nail Rat posted:

Look closely at his new model, he has a big rear end scar on his abdomen. I guess he just had too much anger in him to die.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

exquisite tea posted:

I'm playing on Challenge difficulty and it's pretty hard to my average gamer sensibilities. Definitely not like a Horizon or Uncharted situation where the Normal is a bit too easy. Kratos dies real fast and there is a learning curve as you come to blend more of your abilities together.

I'm getting my rear end kicked. It's really making me learn to play, and fast. Just when I think I'm getting good, the game destroys me. Very often, out of nowhere & very suddenly it puts you in dire situations that stretch the limits of your skills up to that point and then you die. A lot. Then you git gud. I love it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
drat, the combat is actually pretty solid.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Look closely at his new model, he has a big rear end scar on his abdomen. I guess he just had too much anger in him to die.

He's had that since the second game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sneeing Emu posted:

Did I miss something in GoW 3 about how Kratos lost the Chaos Blades or is that just another mystery I'm sure we'll find out n this one?

The Blades of Exile though were thrown away in favor of beating the poo poo out of Zeus hand to hand. He didn't really have time to grab them after the ending, nor do I think that Athena would let him keep them after what happened.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Jiro posted:

Probably not. It shows his trail of blood going off the cliff implying he survived getting gutted for like the umpteenth time in GOW3

Yeah I saw that but he could just as easily have fallen to his death on the rocks.

Although I guess he could have just died and then fought his way out of Hades for the thirtieth time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Over There posted:

drat, the combat is actually pretty solid.

Starting to think every other third person action game is about to feel real rough and boring after this.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Oh sweet you can chose to dodge with O and interact with X just like soulsborne.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jiro posted:

He's had that since the second game.

You're right I forgot the dude has been deaded multiple times at this point.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This game is no loving joke on Give me a Challenge.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

holy poo poo that first boss was amazing!

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Feenix posted:

This game is no loving joke on Give me a Challenge.

100% this. I went with this difficulty because with all of the action RPGs I play on normal difficulty, if I end up doing all the sidequests/exploration/etc., the game gets incredibly easy. I just got to the point where you get to finally upgrade things, so I'm hoping it gets a bit easier from here, as there were a few fights (the one with the revenant and two draugurs in particular) that were loving brutal (and the only reason I beat that fight was by accident, finding that I could knock the draugurs into the pit thing, so I guess in theory it was not brutal).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm in the Draughr pit near the beginning with like 10 of them and it's the first time where I'm just like... "hmmmm... maybe not?"

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

You can adjust the difficulty mid-game for all modes but "Give me God of War" right?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Uh, is hard difficulty (second hardest) meant for ng+? It seems much harder than hard difficulty in previous games.

Edit: Seems like I'm not alone in thinking it's balls hard.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Renoistic posted:

Uh, is hard difficulty (second hardest) meant for ng+? It seems much harder than hard difficulty in previous games.

Edit: Seems like I'm not alone in thinking it's balls hard.

It is. I am trying to ride it out on that setting until after I can use skills and shops and poo poo. Maybe once I can upgrade it evens out a bit.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Are you guys prioritizing resolution or performance?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Over There posted:

I have a console for 'graphics', always makes this an easy choice as it pops up more in games.

I just hit the lake and started exploring. Am i right in thinking that you basically have to come back a lot as you unlock new moves?

If anyone's got far enough, can you say if you get a teleport ability? Backtracking to some of these areas for collectibles is gonna be a ballache.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kin posted:

I have a console for 'graphics', always makes this an easy choice as it pops up more in games.

I just hit the lake and started exploring. Am i right in thinking that you basically have to come back a lot as you unlock new moves?

If anyone's got far enough, can you say if you get a teleport ability? Backtracking to some of these areas for collectibles is gonna be a ballache.

There are inter realm doorways you get to use to return as a fast travel function back to the forge.

Have you been inside the building there yet and been through all the info? You won't need to come back to unlock moves or items and the dwarfs pop up in hilarious and unlikely places as you proceed, so you can easily upgrade as you go.

Has anyone fought the first large boss? I had a loving ball. Can't wait to get home and keep going. I love this game.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Republicans posted:

You can adjust the difficulty mid-game for all modes but "Give me God of War" right?

Yup. I started with Challenge but then died 4 times in a row at the very first encounter and changed that right back down to Balanced, which has been true to its name.

Over There posted:

Resolution, since performance doesn't have a stable framerate.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah balanced is good. I don't know why people feel like they need to play on hard from the outset.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's a big pretty AAA release so I assumed the default difficulty would be tuned a little too easy.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

acksplode posted:

It's a big pretty AAA release so I assumed the default difficulty would be tuned a little too easy.

This. AAA games are *usually* "everyone needs to see the end" games. And often tuned that way.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Feenix posted:

This. AAA games are *usually* "everyone needs to see the end" games. And often tuned that way.

this is the best development in modern games

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
JUST THROW THE CHAIN DOWN YOU LITTLE TURD

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
my son is a total failure

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

kratos hating being in a AAA soulful dad game and wacky elf adventure is my fav bit of his characterisation
his face when you meet the fancy dwarf is excellent

you can tell he wants to go back to GoW3 and shove that guy into some gears to keep a door open

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man it's crazy this is sold out in both my gamestops plus amazon. hope to play this soon lol.

how's the framerate performance, is it a mainly stable and smooth 30fps?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

How am I supposed to play this and Yakuza 6 at the same time?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Palpek posted:

How am I supposed to play this and Yakuza 6 at the same time?

play the better game, you know which one that is

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
sigh all the self closing gates all have a magical hole just big enough for my failure of a son to fit through

acksplode
May 17, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

Digital Foundry says resolution mode is 30fps with a few dips, and that performance mode is all over the place.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DLC Inc posted:

man it's crazy this is sold out in both my gamestops plus amazon. hope to play this soon lol.

It's the best performing game I've seen on the PS4 since Horizon Zero Dawn, near-perfect 30fps at all times favoring resolution on the Pro.

The environment design is also out of this world. Anybody who only thought the new God of War was just gonna be snowy woods forever, you're in for a treat.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The environment design is also out of this world. Anybody who only thought the new God of War was just gonna be snowy woods forever, you're in for a treat.

That part where you have to carry the boar was just gorgeous. I'm seriously dumbfounded at how they get this much closeup detail and then also have huge stuff like a lake-size serpent. I'm gonna read all the development postmortems.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's the best performing game I've seen on the PS4 since Horizon Zero Dawn, near-perfect 30fps at all times favoring resolution on the Pro.

whoa high praise considering I thought Horizon was and still is the high mark for what a PS4 can do, sounds sick

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
Every time I return the axe to Kratos' hand, something about the visual of the axe returning and the sound of it returning, I can't help but have a giant grin on my face.

I feel like I'm going to run into Thor at some stage and he's going to be pissed I stole his move(which given this series will probably happen at some stage.)

Game is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Spoiler from a few hours in that I feel pretty much sums up Give Me God of War difficulty.