Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Hello and welcome to And Then the Earth Spoke , a CYOA survival and civilization game!

Who Am I?
I am forums poster Telsa Cola, a fan of CYOAs, and a current Archaeology MA student. I have been toying with the idea of a CYOA informed partially by archaeological knowledge for about a year now and finally decided to put something together and post.

What To Expect
And Then the Earth Spoke is a semi-hard, Paleolithic themed take on the survival and the civilization CYOAs found on this board.
While it will be fairly ‘hard’ there will be quite a few fantasy aspects in play to keep things interesting. I am also adopting Diogenes “no bronze age steam engines” rule, which, while frustrating to some players, leads to more creative and realistic interactions with the world. To give you some frame of reference for this, the technology present in the setting is based on the Upper Paleolithic, and the atlatl and is the hot new technological marvel.

The adventure is freeform, though I have constructed the general framework of the setting already. Very few things are predetermined and you are free to venture off and prioritize what you think is important. That being said, I do not believe in plot armor and poor decisions can lead to disaster. Be cautious and be smart, but also don’t be too afraid to take the risky option sometimes.

Choices will be presented like in other CYOAs, I will present you with a series of options and after a day or so of voting I will continue the story based on the winning result. Please indicate your vote by bolding it. Approval voting is allowed. Write in votes are allowed but please make it clear what you are voting for if you choose to vote for one. Quoting the relevant write in often works best for this.

This will also be the first CYOA and forums game that I have ever done, as well as my first real attempt at writing fiction, so expect some writing weirdness. I am always up for suggestions and tips so if you think something could be changed for the better, please let me know. The channel for this game in the CYOA is likely the best place for this.
Posting Schedule
I am aiming to have at least one to two posts a week, maybe three if I can schedule it around real-life needs. This should allow time for votes to get in while still letting the story flow well.

:siren: I will be doing some excavation and survey over the summer in a small country in Central America, so don’t expect much posts from me during that time. I will try to post if possible but connectivity issues, research needs, and general exhaustion mean that it’s unlikely. I do plan to pick up my regular schedule once I return though. :siren:

Now, let us begin, who are you?

A: We are a member of the Swift-Reeds tribe. Our people live in a sheltered bay along a tropical coast, though vast forest looms in the distance. We are great sailors, fishers, and orators, harvesting the ocean’s bounty for our every need. We have no designated leader, though one of the woman in the tribe always seems to have a favor or three to call in whenever a decision needs to be made.

B: We are a member of the Sure-Foot tribe. Our people live in the great alpine forests that run along the Great Serpent Mountains. We are great trackers, hunters, and craftspeople, taking what we need from the forest to thrive and prosper. Our leader is a great hunter and warrior and our people respect him for it, and the people are expecting his son to be just as talented.

C: We are a member of the Red-Stone tribe. Our people live among the great ridges and dunes of the Great Desert, sometimes venturing out into the surrounding chaparral. We are a hardy people, able to find resources where others wouldn't, and good traders, trading with tribes to the north and south of us. Our leader is our sandtalker, able to find us water and food as long as we follow him.

Your first vote will decide which tribe you belong to, as well as your beginning environment and location. Voting will end in a couple days, with a post (hopefully) uploaded shortly after.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Space reserved

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Hell yes! I vote A.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

A and have you brought this up on the Discord or in IRC yet?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

dont be mean to me posted:

A and have you brought this up on the Discord or in IRC yet?

Thanks for the suggestions, I just dropped a link and short mention of it into the discord.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 20, 2018

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ground floor (is the only floor in the paleolithic)!

Voting A for boats, speeches and Girl Power.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

B
I bet there are goats in those mountains

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

AC

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

1. B

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
C
Traders means interacting with other people, my impression of people who live in forests or jungles is that they're quite isolationist.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A.

quote:

We read the wind and the sky
When the sun is high
We sail the length of the sea
On the ocean breeze
At night we name every star
We know where we are
We know who we are.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
A, coast tribe life sounds like a lot of fun.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

In this sort of setting it's always northern Europe and mammoths, so a change from that is very refreshing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I'm not sure how I didn't make that link in my own post but heck yes, going Full Moana itt

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Voting A for boats, speeches and Girl Power.
:same:

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
A

Boat time

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
C

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

A. Gonna heap up so many shell middens...

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

A

Also, gently caress you AJ, now I have to go watch the entirety of Moana again

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Crazycryodude posted:

At least it's a good movie.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Voting will end at noon tomorrow.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Crazycryodude posted:

You're welcome.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 21, 2018

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Mountain Forests would be a blast, but I'll go for A.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
A

B O A T

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wasn't there already an A style CYOA?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

super sweet best pal posted:

Uhhhhh the first few months of Paradise Lost?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Ooh, this looks neat!

C

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Voting ends in two hours.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

super sweet best pal posted:

There was an ancient civilization CYOA by mugrim that lasted for very few pages some time ago.

C

Even though nowadays I dont bother with any non Paradise Lost CYOA may as well help this get started.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Voting Closed

I will count the votes and have a post up sometime today. A looks like the winner though.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Vote Total:

14 votes for A
2 votes for B
5 votes for C

The Swift-Reed tribe is the winner!

Looks like we are in for some old fashioned boating and sea based adventures ahead.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

You are a member of the Swift-Reeds tribe

Your people have lived along the Great Bay as long as any of you can remember, though your songs tell of another land. Protected by the Bay, your people have survived on the bountiful harvest contained within it's waters, fishing and hunting in and along the Bay's shores. Your village is situated in the tropical shrub lands and undergrowth that exists in your portion of the bay, though vast tropical forest dominates the landscape the north of you, providing some fruits and vegetables to augment your diet, as well as wood for your fires and crafts. To the south, the tropical shrub land extends as far as the eye can see. While a productive landscape, the various bushes and plants hide numerous dangers and your tribe instead focuses on harvesting the sea and coast rather then risking injury or worse.

Your tribe has been helped in this manner by your boats, the finest, fastest, and most far-sailing in all the tribes.

Crafted long ago by experienced ship builders, with protective rituals placed over them by the male and female heads of each family, the boats allow you to venture out into the deeper portions of the Bay as long as the water is calm, opening up vast new fishing and hunting grounds for your people. Trade, though rare, is also facilitated mainly by the boats. Letting you trade limited amounts of the ocean's bounty with what distant tribes you have contact with. While the boats are not huge they can allow 1-3 people on them, depending on how the weather and water is acting. This is enough to allow the harpooning and recovery of large marine animals such as tuna and seals. Care must be taken with the boats, as the maintenance and repair of them is a lengthy process. When not in use the boats are stored above the high-tide point along the beach, in plain view of most of the tribes people.

Overhead view of your tribe

You live in a fairly large tribe, with three major family groups forming the three of the four major components of your society, with the Wayfarer forming the fourth.

While you do not have a designated leader, the female head of the Muwan family , Chak Chuy'muwan, seems to always have a deal to strike or a favor to call in when tribe effecting decisions are to be made. Because of this, the votes often end in her favor. The only other individual within the tribe that is near her level of influence is the Wayfarer, Jub Kokom. His influence on tribal matters, however, is much less direct.

Now it is time to choose what family we belong to.

We are...

A: You are the child of the Yak'ab Tun family, who craft and provide much of the tools and equipment to the tribe. Your family looks a little different from the other families, being generally taller in size, though this is never discussed. Your father Bubul Che', spends most of his time knapping tools and points for the three families, delegating the fishing to his extended family. Your mother Chak Chel' deals with the trading of your father's goods. Your family is medium in sized when compared to others, and occupies the northern most house group.

B: You are a child of the Aj-Ahin family, who primarily hunt and fish along along the coastline. Your father Bah Te' Aj-ahin and your mother Bato Tox, are the premiere hunters of the tribe, often bringing back the seals and other sea mammals, providing the tribe with pelts and fat. Sometimes the more daring members of your family venture into the shrub lands into the south. Your family is the must numerous of the three, and lives in the center of the village.

C: You are the child of the Muwan family. Your mother is highly influential in the tribe and a great fisher, making her a key player in any ongoing events. Your father, Nah Op, a great fisher in his own right, seems content with his lot in life and always seems to be wearing a bemused smile. Your family is the smallest of the three and the southern most, only containing you, your mother, and your father. Though small, your family ventures deep out into the bay and often returns with relativity large harvests.

D: You are a castaway, found drifting near-death in the waters of the bay after a tremendous storm season. You have no family that you know of, and have been "adopted" by the Wayfarer, Jub Kokom, to see if you can learn the crafts the tribe use to navigate, your survival seen as a promising sign. You lack a family unit, and live in the old but large hut present in the southeast of the tribe.Your "family" does not fish, and instead relies upon food received in return for hunting and fishing advice, as well as what food can be gathered from the forest.

Voting ends Monday at Noon

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 25, 2018

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I think I gotta go with D, being an outsider and under the wing of the wayfarer sounds really interesting.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, going D for *mysterious origins* because this is an RPG

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
C

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

C
Fish!

Crazycryodude posted:

Uhhhhh the first few months of Paradise Lost?

:thejoke: Yes.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
D

Blessed by the waters

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
C Learn from our mother the ways of social mastery.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
B

Some level of outside exploration and intrigue while remaining a core part of society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
A Clever fingers.

• Locked thread