Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

HORMELCHILI posted:

play the better game, you know which one that is
But then I just end up playing Virtua Fighter 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Friendly Fire posted:

Every time I return the axe to Kratos' hand, something about the visual of the axe returning and the sound of it returning, I can't help but have a giant grin on my face.

I feel like I'm going to run into Thor at some stage and he's going to be pissed I stole his move(which given this series will probably happen at some stage.)

Game is good.

Ending a brawl by ripping a draugh in half then calling the axe back with a big meaty THUMP will never get old.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So close. I know he wanted to push his kid off the cliff. But he backed his hand off at the last moment.

dammmmit

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Yep, got a hard laugh when that happened to me, drat you Niflheim Gate (?).
By the way, levels really do mean something in this game, even enemies 2 level ahead of you will gently caress your poo poo up if you're a filthy casual like me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sometimes I just boomerang my axe a bunch because of how satisfying it is.

What kind of skills are you all going for? I have no idea how I want to approach it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Philthy posted:

my son is a total failure

Minor spoiler but you basically forget to pick him up from soccer practice one point and when you finally return there are loving piles of dead bodies and he's absolutely furious

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
That happens on the easiest setting too. I don't think you're supposed to do that bit yet.

edit: Is hacksilver infinite? I wanna buy all the armour pieces but they're quite pricey.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
What the hell. Patch 1.10 is 7+ gigs and it only contains balance changes and bug fixes?

Edit: 1.1gig for patch 11 now. Does Sony not know how to do delta patches?

Secx fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 21, 2018

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

JBP posted:

Minor spoiler but you basically forget to pick him up from soccer practice one point and when you finally return there are loving piles of dead bodies and he's absolutely furious

yeah this was good, kratos is a bad dad lol

e: i feel like im missing 99% of the emotional hooks though due to not having a child or an emotionally distant dad

actually id like a game based on dads like mine where you're the kid trying to get him up the mountain killing monsters while he's like "careful now! im so proud of you!"

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kin posted:

That happens on the easiest setting too. I don't think you're supposed to do that bit yet.

edit: Is hacksilver infinite? I wanna buy all the armour pieces but they're quite pricey.

Does hacksilver replace the red orb currency?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jiro posted:

Does hacksilver replace the red orb currency?

More or less. It's basically money.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This happened to me on balanced...

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
There's a lot of dialogue in this game. I'm waiting for Kratos to get pissed and start killing everyone.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so can you only regain health from dropped health things? any other way to restore health.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Over There posted:

There's a lot of dialogue in this game. I'm waiting for Kratos to get pissed and start killing everyone.

I was like holy gently caress there's a lot of talking but the writing is legit good and the setting is incredible to explore. I sit in the boat with Atreus just chatting and enjoy every convo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so can you only regain health from dropped health things? any other way to restore health.

You get active support abilities that regenerate small amounts. Basically equip the rune or whatever then L1 and O. Also some give you passives that regen on precision throws or grabs for example.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
This game is really really good

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

God of War x King of the Hill

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Lmao.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Got a "preowned" copy at Gamestop. People buying the bundle and trading the game in immediately. A few stores in my area had them and the store I got my copy at had 2.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So how many more times will Kratos be about to pat his failure son's back only to stop and stare meaningfully at his hand

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Calaveron posted:

So how many more times will Kratos be about to pat his failure son's back only to stop and stare meaningfully at his hand
Dad?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Calaveron posted:

It happened maybe three times in the first 8 hours that I've played.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The first time I groaned and the second time I almost laughed. Looking forward to #3. The writing has generally been good but they're kinda overdoing it here.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

acksplode posted:

The first time I groaned and the second time I almost laughed. Looking forward to #3. The writing has generally been good but they're kinda overdoing it here.

*kratos stares deeply in his hand* "can Kratos.... love?"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kratos sad. Honestly every time it happens I'm like "come on buddy! Love your son! You can do it!"

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Atreus is so sweet too :(

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kilometers Davis posted:

Atreus is so sweet too :(

Yeah. Who would have thought I'd be going awwww at a loving god of war game.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I'm forgetting I threw my axe at some point during a battle and then just keep fighting on but it doesn't matter because then I just hit the ol triangle button and feel like a bad rear end .

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I forget a lot of moves in this game

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

JBP posted:

I was like holy gently caress there's a lot of talking but the writing is legit good and the setting is incredible to explore. I sit in the boat with Atreus just chatting and enjoy every convo.

Kratos attempting to tell Aesop's fables is incredibly good.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
So can someone who has played the game a bit further tell me who "The Stranger" was at the beginning of the game? Seemed like it might be Loki but I wasn't 100%.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Over There posted:

I forget a lot of moves in this game

Same

Le Saboteur posted:

I'm forgetting I threw my axe at some point during a battle and then just keep fighting on but it doesn't matter because then I just hit the ol triangle button and feel like a bad rear end .

Yeah I proceed for ages without it and then when I finally hit triangle I get to live out the comedy hammer scenes from Ragnarok which owns.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

So can someone who has played the game a bit further tell me who "The Stranger" was at the beginning of the game? Seemed like it might be Loki but I wasn't 100%.

Geez didn't you waste your childhood by reading about old mythologies like I did? Baldur

Do they ever get at why Midgard is basically the setting of Dark Souls? I didn't play the previous God of War games but was Greece equally as hosed up? At least prior to Kratos being Kratos.

Aurubin fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 21, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

So.. is good, is a good game. I am happy is not some techno hyper new experience. Is just a well made game, with great graphics and good design, built on top a over the top franchise and we have learn about videogames and gamers in 2018. This god of war is possible because Skyrim existed, The Last of Us existed, the Uncharted titles existed, the Two Brothers existed.. and so on. Is not actually a giant game, but a good game on the shoulders of giants.

Theres even things that I don't feel that are necessary, but for some reason are here, like the constant upgrading and looting random parts. I know God of War3 was also a constant stream of upgrades, but here the game feels very diablo-like.

A lot of things work with this game. Is not some 10/10 masterpiece, thats pure non-sense. Is some love letter to modern gaming, and is made with expertise. A good game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game is loving sick, the combat feels very satisfying. First game I've bought for (nearly) AAA price in a while and it was definitely worth it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Le Saboteur posted:

I have not played further so technically speculation but it makes sense

it's Baldur - the inability to feel pain or anything else goes in line with his invulnerability to anything except mistletoe

Alternatively its Conor McGregor

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Lid posted:

I have not played further so technically speculation but it makes sense

it's Baldur - the inability to feel pain or anything else goes in line with his invulnerability to anything except mistletoe

Alternatively its Conor McGregor

The inability to feel pain thing makes sense but Baldr was supposed to be the purest and kindest of the gods, so him being a big rear end in a top hat would be weird. Though, it does kind of seem like the whole mythology is breaking down somehow so maybe Baldr being an rear end in a top hat is a symptom of that.

Also, the more the game characterizes Faye, the more I want a prequel DLC starring her.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

1stGear posted:

The inability to feel pain thing makes sense but Baldr was supposed to be the purest and kindest of the gods, so him being a big rear end in a top hat would be weird. Though, it does kind of seem like the whole mythology is breaking down somehow so maybe Baldr being an rear end in a top hat is a symptom of that.

Also, the more the game characterizes Faye, the more I want a prequel DLC starring her.

All gods are assholes and that's why Kratos buys his tp in bulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

1stGear posted:

I think its a twisted take on him

he says he cant feel ANYTHING which includes pain but isnt limited to it, i think the point is hes demented by a complete inability to feel anything so ratger than kind hes overwhelmed by being unable to feel at all