Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I thought it was cool that I'm pretty sure he was played by Jeremy Davies from Lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Man at least the majority of Greece was well, Greece, according to a few cutscenes I watched, at least until the Greek gods gently caress it up, but the Nine Realms seem like really lovely places due to infighting regardless of the Aesir and Vanir. Going by that and the endings, I think they're probably going for the trope that the Norse pantheons bring Ragnarok on themselves

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lid posted:

I think its a twisted take on him

he says he cant feel ANYTHING which includes pain but isnt limited to it, i think the point is hes demented by a complete inability to feel anything so ratger than kind hes overwhelmed by being unable to feel at all

He's basically Gray Fox from MGS1

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like how this game has great checkpoints and the ability to pretty much save at any moment you want.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Le Saboteur posted:

I thought it was cool that I'm pretty sure he was played by Jeremy Davies from Lost.

Who played Jesus on American Gods. (Well, he played one of the Jesuses. Jesi? Jesu?)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I thought the Stranger's weird way of walking and carrying himself gave his identity away

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I like how this game has great checkpoints and the ability to pretty much save at any moment you want.

I laughed my head off when I came across a shop after a boss fight. The shops are so video gamey but they also fit the weird world of mythical journeys so perfectly.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JBP posted:

I laughed my head off when I came across a shop after a boss fight. The shops are so video gamey but they also fit the weird world of mythical journeys so perfectly.

Brok is a good fuckin’ dude.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Gonna be fun in 10 years when Loki/Atreus inadvertently causes the Egyptian creator Atum to try and destroy creation after 3 games playing as Osiris or something.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Aurubin posted:

Gonna be fun in 10 years when Loki/Atreus inadvertently causes the Egyptian creator Atum to try and destroy creation after 3 games playing as Osiris or something.

Oh man I kind of wish I hadn't of rolled over this one. Oh well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing I’m not clear on, if I hit a side area can I always do it right then and there? Or is there a Metroid type deal where I have to come back later to complete some stuff.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

One thing I’m not clear on, if I hit a side area can I always do it right then and there? Or is there a Metroid type deal where I have to come back later to complete some stuff.

Definitely the latter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah the Norse Mythology is breaking down. Tyr is stated as being dead long ago. As part of Odin's plots to deny Ragnarok.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

I'm glad to report that "Give me a Challenge" begins to stop being miserably hard after you get to the first kinda open hub as long as you've been exploring/collecting money. Managed to get myself a ton of upgrades which has made this much more manageable.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just bought this on a whim, usually don't grab stuff launch day but 4/20 is a day to treat myself.

Looks fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My one complaint about this game so far is that there are all these branching paths, and I don’t know which one is the way to progression and I end up thinking I’m exploring a side path, and it’s actually the main story. Then I am locked out from the doing the optional stuff I was working on.

I’m sure the game will let me go back and do it but it’s sort of frustrating when I get blocked like that and I don’t know if I’ll be motivated to backtrack and I wanted to do it now.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Whichever way your kid is trying to lead you is the story path. Failson dipshit doesn't know about upgrades

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In a way, the current state of the Aesir and the Nine Realms can be explained as the effects of Pandora's Box being opened during the last trilogy.

Odin's paranoia and lust for power/knowledge were intensified, just like Zeus' fear, which lead him to murder Tyr and pursue a more brutal rise to power (such as torturing Mimir instead of befriending him). Also, Kratos is literally Farbauti.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I just bought this on a whim, usually don't grab stuff launch day but 4/20 is a day to treat myself.

Looks fun.

i just started it, about 30 minutes in and it's fuckin' great already, good game to blaze for sure

there's some bugs with the kid tho because a minute ago he was standing on a bridge waiting for my old slow rear end to finish collecting garbage so we could continue, then i turned and suddenly he was running up from behind me, totally opposite from where the bridge was, lmao

teleporting ghost lad

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

I do wish there was a setting or a skill that lets Altreus auto shoot that can be toggled on or off. With so many combos, runes, talismans, I find myself constantly forgetting to use him in smaller encounters, and only remember in big encounters and/or if I keep dying on a smaller encounter.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Man, I am really loving bad at this even on standard. Its really hard to get out of bloodborne mode.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 21, 2018

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I watched 3 different people playing this game on Twitch today. I also watched 3 different reviews on YouTube. All the people playing were pretty "meh" about it but all of the reviews were sucking the Sony cock until it was polished well and shiny.

The fighting bits themselves seemed to play out very God of War, so that's pretty great. But I cannot get into "Family Man" Kratos. . . and that kid drives me bananas. He's like the Scrappy Doo of God of War.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Is there an equivalence for the Desolation in Norse mythology or is it just supposed to be the hosed up lead up to Ragnarok? Also a convenient excuse to not have to model more people and have additional voice actors. This game chugs enough without it being in a city.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

sleepness posted:

I'm glad to report that "Give me a Challenge" begins to stop being miserably hard after you get to the first kinda open hub as long as you've been exploring/collecting money. Managed to get myself a ton of upgrades which has made this much more manageable.

Now that I reached that part I'll probably bump it up to that after restarting the game on normal. Normal is a bit too easy but hard felt just as punishing as GoW mode only the enemies didn't power up anymore.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

sleepness posted:

Thank god, I just made it through the set piece after you fall off the bridge and it was pretty frustrating. I can't imagine

Here's the difficulty changes BTW.

quote:

Give Me A Story
Experience the story without too much of a gameplay challenge.

-Enemies deal less damage and take more damage
-Enemies have reduced resistance to hit reactions
-Enemies are alot easier to Stun
-Enemies are alot less aggressive
-Enemies are weaker to Leviathan's ranged attacks
-Kratos is more resistant to status effects

Give Me A Balanced Experience
An adventure that's reasonably challenging.

This is the default difficulty mode. Use this mode to measure how much more difficult or how much easier enemies are in the other modes.

Give Me A Challenge
A more demanding combat experience.

-Enemies gain a slight power level advantage, improving many Stats
-Alot of enemies gain a bonus of 50 health
-Enemies deal more damage and status effect damage
-Enemies receive a boost of 8 to Defense (This means Kratos will need an additional 8 more Strength to deal bonus damage)
-Enemies are harder to Stun in general, with a slight bonus resistance to axe and bare-handed attacks
-Enemies are more resilient to Leviathan's ranged attacks
-Enemies are more resistant to Atreus' Runic Summons
-Enemies are more aggressive
-Enemies absorb impact from basic attacks
-Building up Permafrost or Immolation takes more time

Give Me God Of War
As difficult as possible, requiring god-like reflexes and strategy. This difficulty cannot be changed in-game, so a new game must be started to lower the difficulty.

EVERYTHING from Give Me A Challenge plus...
-Almost all enemies will power up and turn Elite after taking damage. Elite enemies are stronger and much more aggressive. Preventing them from becoming Elite is vital to getting through this difficulty.
-Enemies take slightly less damage
-Enemies deal alot more status damage
-Harmful status effects last longer and are more potent
-Enemies get a boost to their defense
-Slight increase to damage dealt to enemies in midair
-Enemies can only be wall-pinned in the air
-Enemies can counterattack quickly after taking hit reactions or blocking an attack
-Kratos' motion during attacks is more accurate
-Fewer advantages when the hero has a greater power level than an enemy
-Frost status effect reduces Kratos' invincibility frames on evades
-Poison status effect reduces Kratos' Power Level
-Burn status effect does significantly more damage
-Spartan Rage gain rate is significantly reduced
-Health pickups reduce status damage and can clear active status effects
-Enemies are more resistant to status effects
-Parry attacks are less effective
-Elite enemies do not take ledge reactions and take significantly less reactions to Spartan Rage

Remember, you can switch between any difficulty at any time EXCEPT for Give Me God Of War.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Over There posted:

I forget a lot of moves in this game

Early on pro-tip: if you can mix in the d-pad into your punch combos, instead of eventually knocking a guy away, you can punch, punch, punch, axe, axe, axe, punch, punch... etc. well, something like that anyway. You can juggle with newly anything if you can keep the pressure on.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Anybody know if you can visit all the realms?

I'm hoping this is gonna be a bigass game but now I'm thinking it's just gonna be the one storyline with the one main boss plus henchmen and leave the rest for sequel bait rather than killing the whole Norse pantheon over 100 hours.

E also I am gonna be PISSED if kratos doesn't get mjolnir by the end!

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

. . . and that kid drives me bananas. He's like the Scrappy Doo of God of War.
Atreus is a good kid with a good head on his shoulders, how dare u

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I’m fighting the urge to break my ‘wait ‘til it’s on sale’ rule. Please link me to a review that says it’s actually not that great to tide me over.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

snoremac posted:

I’m fighting the urge to break my ‘wait ‘til it’s on sale’ rule. Please link me to a review that says it’s actually not that great to tide me over.

It's good OP
Not perfect, not a masterpiece. But like.. A solid respectable 8 for me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OK for real try this out because it makes the game control way better

all the available options for Quick Turn kinda sucked for me, but then i realized that since i usually swap L3 and R3 in games where you click L3 to sprint, i turned that on and then set Quick Turn to be "hold back and L3" (which, now, is "hold back and press R3")

this makes a WORLD of difference in chaotic combat situations! not only does it make sprinting easier, it makes Quick Turning incredibly easy. the default being down on the d-pad is so horrid.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Atreus is very annoying at the start but Kratos acknowledges this and over the course of the game teaches him to shut up a lot

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
lmao the Ogre part

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
My wife told me I am a bad parent for wanting my kid to die from the tumor in his head.

I told her I AM THE GOD OF WAR I AM HERE TO KILL EVERYTHING

She told me I shouldn't have had unprotected sex then and walked away.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Can you eventually go back and finish up the artifact gathering in areas where you missed a couple?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Holy drat, that first boss fight is one of the coolest things I’ve seen in a video game in a long time in terms of presentation. I was cackling like a madman through the whole thing.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Fart City posted:

Holy drat, that first boss fight is one of the coolest things I’ve seen in a video game in a long time in terms of presentation. I was cackling like a madman through the whole thing.

Same. I wasn't expecting this game to have Dragon Ball Z poo poo and I was so hyped when it started happening.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This whole area with the dragon is dark souls as gently caress haha.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Le Saboteur posted:

Can you eventually go back and finish up the artifact gathering in areas where you missed a couple?

yeah i missed one stupid toy in the first area somehow unless you're meant to have to go back because i also saw a chest i don't think i could get to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
moree games should have puzzles you solve by throwing an axe at them