Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it's like i'm in the backwards dimension in here, ellis's videos are actually interesting and well thought-out whereas rlm is just two cranky middle-aged white dudes complaining, that is, when they aren't making rape jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AriadneThread posted:

it's like i'm in the backwards dimension in here, ellis's videos are actually interesting and well thought-out whereas rlm is just two cranky middle-aged white dudes complaining, that is, when they aren't making rape jokes

I don’t think you watch the videos.

Either set really.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Yaws posted:

There's a level of smugness and elitism in Ellis' reviews that I find rather off-putting.

Could you elaborate on why you get that impression from her videos?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think you watch the videos.

Either set really.

you're half right, i stopped watching rlm because it's terrible

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AriadneThread posted:

you're half right, i stopped watching rlm because it's terrible

Yet you still watch Lindsay? Seems hypocritical.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Purely personal opinion but I've been watching Lindsay's stuff for a little while now and really enjoy it but every time somebody links me to an RLM video I usually get a few minutes in before getting bored and doing something else. :shrug:

I mean, I've never specifically searched out their stuff so it's possible I haven't given them a fair shake but that's just my experience.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yet you still watch Lindsay? Seems hypocritical.

i'm glad we saved time with this discussion by skipping straight to the 'no u' phase

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

i'm glad we saved time with this discussion by skipping straight to the 'no u' phase

It’s were we started. A brisk pace it’s good, it’s how you know Lindsay had nothing to do with it.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Conal Cochran posted:

Wasn't it Ellis that portrayed people who watched Transformer movies as these white trash dullards?

If not, I apologize in advance. I THINK it's her but I may be wrong.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Yaws posted:

Wasn't it Ellis that portrayed people who watched Transformer movies as these white trash dullards?

Even if it was, what would that have to do with your impression of her Hobbit reviews compared to the RLM Plinkett stuff?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Yaws posted:

There's a level of smugness and elitism in Ellis' reviews that I find rather off-putting. The Plinkett reviews are occasionally funny and don't take themselves that seriously.

The rape/murder poo poo in the Plinkett reviews sucks though.

Do you know what "smug" means?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Yaws posted:

That doesn't sound right considering her whole series about the Bayformer movies is inspired by both the massive popularity of the films and her own fascination with the series.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

Do you know what "smug" means?

After reading you post I looked it up on dictionary.com and I think I have a handle on it.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Yaws posted:

After reading you post I looked it up on dictionary.com and I think I have a handle on it.

So you would know that what she does is basically the opposite of that.

If you actually watched her videos.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

business hammocks posted:

This is great in its efficiency and the deliberateness with which it unveils the inevitable mechanisms of capitalism through a really nice case study. And I had no loving idea Warner Bros did a United Fruit to a sovereign nation for some loving mediocre turds of movies that nobody will even remember in five years. Not that I’m surprised, but I guess I have this lingering belief that the crimes of capitalists at least accomplish something notable for the capitalists rather than just being part of how they inexorably, mercilessly grind nature and man down to nothing as a part of day-to-day business.

Numbness at how inescapable the horrors of capitalism are doesn’t necessarily seem like the best response, since it’s not within your power to refuse participation in the system. The idea of ethical consumption is kind of perverse because it puts the burden on you while denying that the system is inherently unethical—not that a series on film criticism should go full revolutionary or something. But it’s good to show people the inside of the machine sometimes from the perspective of something that they care about, so that was a nice bow to tie on at the end.

But I feel like I should point out that capitalism reproduces itself partially by making itself seem inevitable and wearing people down. But keep in mind always that another world is possible.

And even then, the bullshit that Warner Bros. and Peter Jackson did was somewhat downplayed, IMO. That interview footage of Peter Jackson and Philippa Boyens having a whinge about unions and the protests were from after Equity and the Council of Trade Unions (a lobby group for various unions around the nation, like a union of unions) had agreed to lift any boycott or industrial actions planned against The Hobbit so that they could enter negotiations in good faith.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/129382/emails-reveal-how-studio-controlled-announcement

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL1104/S00081/helen-kelly-the-hobbit-dispute.htm

And currently, the Hobbit Law, as it's called, is being amended to benefit those affected, with the plan being to ultimately repeal it. In all likelihood, it will be gone, or changed in a way that it n longer resembles what the National Party passed in 2010, because the current government simply has the seat numbers to pass it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wtf are you morons arguing about, both lindsay and rlm make very good videos deconstructing films. y'all are wack.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

So you would know that what she does is basically the opposite of that.

If you actually watched her videos.

Explain to me what the opposite of smug is? What is the antonym of smug? And how does this apply to the videos of one Lindsey Ellis?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yaws posted:

RLM thinks this too btw

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

And even then, the bullshit that Warner Bros. and Peter Jackson did was somewhat downplayed, IMO. That interview footage of Peter Jackson and Philippa Boyens having a whinge about unions and the protests were from after Equity and the Council of Trade Unions (a lobby group for various unions around the nation, like a union of unions) had agreed to lift any boycott or industrial actions planned against The Hobbit so that they could enter negotiations in good faith.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/129382/emails-reveal-how-studio-controlled-announcement

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL1104/S00081/helen-kelly-the-hobbit-dispute.htm

And currently, the Hobbit Law, as it's called, is being amended to benefit those affected, with the plan being to ultimately repeal it. In all likelihood, it will be gone, or changed in a way that it n longer resembles what the National Party passed in 2010, because the current government simply has the seat numbers to pass it.

if it actually gets repealed, that's great. the 'no collective bargaining' thing is crazy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Conal Cochran posted:

I'm more curious why they don't think RLM is smug in the prequel videos. Like, I like them and all but they're incredibly smug considering how much is rooted in 'actually George Lucas is poo poo and extended CGI grousing'

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

sexpig by night posted:

I'm more curious why they don't think RLM is smug in the prequel videos. Like, I like them and all but they're incredibly smug considering how much is rooted in 'actually George Lucas is poo poo and extended CGI grousing'

i don't think saying 'george lucas is poo poo' is an indicator of smugness, considering george lucas is, in fact, poo poo.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yaws posted:

Explain to me what the opposite of smug is? What is the antonym of smug? And how does this apply to the videos of one Lindsey Ellis?

Humility. Also levity can work.

CelticPredator posted:

RLM thinks this too btw

Yeah, if anything RLM has the far harsher and more vitriolic attitude to that film franchise and the people who see it. IIRC it was a big start to their carping about how they want cinemas to die out.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
RLM is bad because I can't take anyone who invest so much into star wars seriously.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

There is a level of self-awareness about how dorky shredding prequels is. Hence the Plinektt character.

Ain't no one care about the Hobbit movies. They came, went and have been promptly forgotten.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tired Moritz posted:

RLM is bad because I can't take anyone who invest so much into star wars seriously.

i agree, it's really weird and unusual and off-putting that anyone is invested in the biggest franchise of all-time. a real head-scratcher, that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Plinket reviews the joke is that the reviewer is lovely and terrible. The editing of the videos themselves are terrible on purpose. Smug is not self mockery.

You don't seem to actually know what criticism they brought up, but whatever. It's getting to be ten years since they made them and maybe like five years since I watched one. But if they were basically repeats of what people said at the time (too much cgi and Lucas bad) instead of actually making points, it would never have caught on.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yaws posted:

There is a level of self-awareness about how dorky shredding prequels is. Hence the Plinektt character.

Ain't no one care about the Hobbit movies. They came, went and have been promptly forgotten.

so what you're saying is, nobody should ever analyze any films ever except those belong to the biggest, most popular movie franchises of all time.

guess that's a good argument as to why lindsay's videos are 'smug'(?) since nobody cares about lord of the rings at all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Plinket reviews the joke is that the reviewer is lovely and terrible. The editing of the videos themselves are terrible on purpose. Smug is not self mockery.

You don't seem to actually know what criticism they brought up, but whatever. It's getting to be ten years since they made them and maybe like five years since I watched one. But if they were basically repeats of what people said at the time (too much cgi and Lucas bad) instead of actually making points, it would never have caught on.

again I said I liked the loving videos but 'no it's supposed to be poo poo' is like the 'it's my art style actually' of comedy videos

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i agree, it's really weird and unusual and off-putting that anyone is invested in the biggest franchise of all-time. a real head-scratcher, that.

yes

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

so what you're saying is, nobody should ever analyze any films ever except those belong to the biggest, most popular movie franchises of all time.

guess that's a good argument as to why lindsay's videos are 'smug'(?) since nobody cares about lord of the rings at all.

No, quite the opposite.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

RLM has frequent jokes about the dumb masses going to see whatever crap is on at the time, so I don't know how it could bother you more in Lindsay's videos which I don't even remember ever being a thing.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
okay lets be honest

the reason people think lindsay sounds "smug" is because she's a woman

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also while we're dropping hot takes on the countryside like it's Vietnam I'm just gonna say I think the reason RLM's star wars stuff is so sacred to so many nerds is it was the first time many of us saw criticism of the films from within the community rather than from outsiders who's main criticism boiled down to 'yea but space stuff is lame' so it was assigned a lot more depth than's actually there.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Also, this poo poo's dumb, here's a new Defunctland video on Superstar Limo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2L-bZiqckM

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i don't think saying 'george lucas is poo poo' is an indicator of smugness, considering george lucas is, in fact, poo poo.

I don't even remember them fixating on CGI except when it clearly limited what they could do with the movies in terms of cinematography or the actors ability to immerse themselves in the role.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

They aren’t even that invested in Star Wars really.

They like the original trilogy and don’t care for the prequels but they generally shrug when talking about the new movies.

If any of them are invested in anything it’s Star Trek.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this thread fuckin sucks

Roth posted:

Also, this poo poo's dumb, here's a new Defunctland video on Superstar Limo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2L-bZiqckM

this however, fuckin rules

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yaws posted:

No, quite the opposite.

then what the gently caress kind of idiot argument are you even trying to make

everyone on this page is a loving dumbass, including me, for engaging in this completely loving idiotic discussion that is going nowhere at all

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If anything this topic shows me is that the most virelant RLM haters don’t actually watch their videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

also while we're dropping hot takes on the countryside like it's Vietnam I'm just gonna say I think the reason RLM's star wars stuff is so sacred to so many nerds is it was the first time many of us saw criticism of the films from within the community rather than from outsiders who's main criticism boiled down to 'yea but space stuff is lame' so it was assigned a lot more depth than's actually there.

this sounds right to me
i didn't end up watching those videos till years after they came out and i wasn't exactly blown away by the film-crit side. though to be fair, i don't know if i paid that close attention since the 'terrible (rapist?) reviewer' b-plot was kind of attention grabbing