Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

lol, Why is Enids second form "Clown"

Season 2s looking like a must watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Hihohe posted:

Heck, Season 2 already established itself as a Much Watch with The Perfect Meal and Hope This Flies (you can tell they're actually season 2 eps by the production codes, 1064-054 and 1064-055 respectively)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hihohe posted:

lol, Why is Enids second form "Clown"

She is a Mime not a clown.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

A mime is a clown and I will hear nothing of saying theyre not

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm like... half relieved, half disappointed that this show is still exactly as goofy as it was

(like, I get the whole "timeskip -> new design!" thing, but... why those designs? Orange Rad looks weird and Mime Enid looks really loving weird)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm like... half relieved, half disappointed that this show is still exactly as goofy as it was

(like, I get the whole "timeskip -> new design!" thing, but... why those designs? Orange Rad looks weird and Mime Enid looks really loving weird)

It's obviously a joke that won't last the episode. The clip even shows Rad scratching his skin and probably just about to peel the bronze layer of skin off.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, yeah, no poo poo, those designs are just kinda... out of left field?

Like I guess Rad getting a spray tan pretty much works, but... mime?

(It would have probably worked better for the joke if it had been basically their same designs as before, but... Too Much, for lack of a better way of putting it; think SSJ3 Goku as opposed to regular Goku)

e: okay uh

I just found out that Laserblast, Professor Venomous and Shadowy Figure are a) all voiced by the same dude and b) all voiced by loving Trevor from GTA5

I'm not gonna be able to un-hear that anytime soon

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I just found out that Laserblast, Professor Venomous and Shadowy Figure are a) all voiced by the same dude and b) all voiced by loving Trevor from GTA5

I'm not gonna be able to un-hear that anytime soon

I think thats intentional. :ssh:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hihohe posted:

A mime is a clown and I will hear nothing of saying theyre not

Everyone knows that the Mime is the original wild form of the domesticated Clown

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
So we've had Rusty, Orpheus, and Dean. When does Patrick Warburton show up?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So I’m a bit late to the party but I finally saw the gun control episode. It was... kind of dogshit?

I mean I give the show points for trying but ultimately it fails as an episode because it wasn’t very funny and the metaphor was obvious to the point of being obnoxious. Meanwhile it fails as an anti gun message because the format wont really let the writers deal with the subject matter in a serious and nuanced way (read: no one can get shot and die). They clearly wanted to get a message across (albeit, kind of a wishy-washy one) but weren’t allowed to use the tools that would make that message resonate.

Also I found the depiction of congressmen as honest actors and not human filth to be deeply offensive:colbert:. No, calling your representative won’t fix poo poo. In real life that pol would have hung up on KOs mom, fired her secretary for sending her a call from the general public, and let the gun manufacturerskeleton remote salesman do whatever the gently caress they wanted in exchange for a few millions in campaign cash. But I’ll grant you that “You’re hosed kiddies! Enjoy experiencing at least three active shooter incidents before you graduate!” as an episode moral would be a hard sell for the TV execs.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The gun control episode was funny and cool and the congressman scene was obviously a tongue in cheek commentary saying "this is what lawmakers should be doing, hold people accountable kids!", dumbass.

Obviously it's not going to have people literally die, that's they why they "only" have them get turned into actual real skeletons because people have descended into violent paranoia brought on by rich people playing up to the public's worst tendencies, what could it mean?!

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 12, 2018

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

IMO the skeleton episode was fine, I thought the congress-is-effectual to be a nice parents joke. There's probably a few ways they could have made it more explicit, but honestly I think it's a first to talk about this in a kids-oriented show. So, y'know, the Model T probably had some bad ideas baked in.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

khwarezm posted:

The gun control episode was funny and cool and the congressman scene was obviously a tongue in cheek commentary saying "this is what lawmakers should be doing, hold people accountable kids!", dumbass.

Maybe? I read it as a sincere call to action. Which is fine in theory but having watched the “contact your congressman!” strategy fail to change anything substantial for like 20 years now I’ve kind of lost my patience with it. Hell a bunch of shooting victims are doing a high-profile campaign for gun control right now and even that isn’t accomplishing much in terms of actual legislation getting passed.

quote:

Obviously it's not going to have people literally die, that's they why they "only" have them get turned into actual real skeletons because people have descended into violent paranoia brought on by rich people playing up to the public's worst tendencies, what could it mean?!

Yes I got the metaphor, it wasn’t very subtle. But when being a skeleton has few real drawbacks it kind of deflates the message. It works on a metaphorical level but on an literal one it’s kind of a mess. At least it was for me. YMMV

T-man posted:

So, y'know, the Model T probably had some bad ideas baked in.

Yeah, this kind of sums it up for me. It was a good try but the format was just not meant to deal with this kind of thing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
to be totally frank I kinda don't like the gun control episode myself, because I can't not compare it to the Gargoyles one

and the Gargoyles gun control episode is possibly one of the greatest cartoon episodes of all time and hands loving down the best Very Special Episode from a cartoon

Let's Not Be Skeletons isn't that bad but it is nowhere near the bar set by Gargoyles on the subject

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Let's Not be Skeletons had a lot of funny jokes, nice bouncy animation, and great songs (All like the other episodes from that board team), but the execution of the message was definitely of the "kinda bit off more than they could chew" type

Actually thinking about it, each of the 4 board teams had it's own "Very Special episode" this season.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I liked the Captain Planet episode because it would have been so easy to go ironic, but they embraced it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i just can't really get behind the idea that they bit off more than they could chew, because Gargoyles was a kids show from 25 loving years ago that targeted broadly the same demographic and did a literally perfect episode on almost this exact topic. it was way, way more brutal than Let's Not Be Skeletons, but... that ended up selling the message more clearly.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

I liked the Captain Planet episode because it would have been so easy to go ironic, but they embraced it.

Agreed. The Captain Planet episode owned.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i just can't really get behind the idea that they bit off more than they could chew, because Gargoyles was a kids show from 25 loving years ago that targeted broadly the same demographic and did a literally perfect episode on almost this exact topic. it was way, way more brutal than Let's Not Be Skeletons, but... that ended up selling the message more clearly.

I did not know that this existed. *sigh!* OH WELL I guess I’ll just have to go back and rewatch Gargoyles I suppose.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think the main difference is that Gargoyles was a more mature action show

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Not to mention the whole gun control thing falls apart when you remember that the Bodega already sold other much more directly lethal weapons

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Not to mention the whole gun control thing falls apart when you remember that the Bodega already sold other much more directly lethal weapons

This inspired my own gun control episode idea:

KO buys a photorealistic glock from a vending machine and treats it like any of Gar’s doodads. After a few scenes of him playing around he shoots one of the robots only to have the bullet ricochet and hit a random minor character through the spleen. The fighting stops, everyone goes silent, and we’re then treated to five solid minutes of waiting for the ambulance as the gunshot victim screams in pain and asks if he’s going to die. We cut to the hospital where KO reflects on what he’s learned and the gang has a big laugh about the whole thing. Then the doctor walks in, says that the victim will never walk again, and we get a loooong uncomfortable silence followed by the credits and standard ending theme where the cardboard cutouts depict KO at his parole hearing.

Think the TV execs would go for it?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Remember how that Gargoyles episode, good as it was, got dropped from reruns because it dared portray realistic gun violence?

Yeah, imagine the shitfit it would cause in the modern day, when Americans have wholly embraced gun violence as the logical consequence of FREEDOM. I understand why they went for a goofy allegory.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I have to say storyboard artist Parker Simmons is a great VA

(also voiced the narrator at the start of No More Pow Cards)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 12, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

drrockso20 posted:

None of those things ever seem to actually kill anybody, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

(It would have probably worked better for the joke if it had been basically their same designs as before, but... Too Much, for lack of a better way of putting it; think SSJ3 Goku as opposed to regular Goku)

e: okay uh

They did a joke on that in that clip. Saying that Dogmun changed after his timeskip. Showing him with the only difference being a new shirt. (With KO taking it seriously and saying Dogmun was in a war.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsterEnvy posted:

They did a joke on that in that clip. Saying that Dogmun changed after his timeskip. Showing him with the only difference being a new shirt. (With KO taking it seriously and saying Dogmun was in a war.)

you're not quite getting what i was saying, though I do really like that Dogmun joke

this is regular Goku:

this is SSJ3 Goku:

it's a pretty noticeable difference, not just a tiny shirt change (if you ignore the hair, SSJ3 Goku looks like some kind of hosed up caveman) but it's not a hard left turn in terms of design the way Rad and Enid's are; SSJ3 Goku is basically like the designers went "what if Goku but TOO MUCH GOKU"

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Speaking of Dragon Ball, I thought Rad's ridiculous new look was supposed to be a poke at Golden Frieza. Thought Enid's clown look was a jab at Hisoka from HunterxHunter.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

you're not quite getting what i was saying, though I do really like that Dogmun joke

this is regular Goku:

this is SSJ3 Goku:

it's a pretty noticeable difference, not just a tiny shirt change (if you ignore the hair, SSJ3 Goku looks like some kind of hosed up caveman) but it's not a hard left turn in terms of design the way Rad and Enid's are; SSJ3 Goku is basically like the designers went "what if Goku but TOO MUCH GOKU"

That's not a timeskip change though, that's just a transformation.

An example of a timeskip change would be Franky from One Piece.

Before timeskip:

Post timeskip:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Though Franky does change his hair around a lot in his new look.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Story of Mime Enid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiu6H9YRwzg

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though Franky does change his hair around a lot in his new look.

This was entirely because Franky's voice actor didn't like the first hairstyle he had, so Oda decided to just change it a whole bunch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

This was entirely because Franky's voice actor didn't like the first hairstyle he had, so Oda decided to just change it a whole bunch.

Heh that is fun.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Clearly Enid will suffer in the long run from over-specialization as a clown. Dual skillsets like those found in FFT are superior.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Enid: Aggressively Bisexual.

(this is not a bad thing)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the treatment of TKO, I thought he was interesting. I expected him to be going for "Powered by anger, but KO needs experience to learn how to direct it properly", but brought out by helplessness is more interesting. Also I like KO replacing his cage with a punching bag. :3: (Just finished watching the show over the last few days)

Also the reporter owns.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is there anywhere to legally obtain this in Australia?

It's difficult to obtain via other methods :(

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I just finished watching the series, in time for the four new episodes per week schedule starting Saturday May 5. All the recurring characters, like the reporter, the skeleton and the bear, and Mr. Logic are great.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/992270721874247683