Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

then what the gently caress kind of idiot argument are you even trying to make

everyone on this page is a loving dumbass, including me, for engaging in this completely loving idiotic discussion that is going nowhere at all

I don't even know. You utterly missed what I was talking about by a loving mile and went off a tangent from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sexpig by night posted:

also while we're dropping hot takes on the countryside like it's Vietnam I'm just gonna say I think the reason RLM's star wars stuff is so sacred to so many nerds is it was the first time many of us saw criticism of the films from within the community rather than from outsiders who's main criticism boiled down to 'yea but space stuff is lame' so it was assigned a lot more depth than's actually there.

Maybe because it’s good, idk.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alaois posted:

this thread fuckin sucks

this however, fuckin rules

This thread rules. I loving love arguments.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
okay we get it, the plinkett reviews made you see God for the first time.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

sexpig by night posted:

also while we're dropping hot takes on the countryside like it's Vietnam I'm just gonna say I think the reason RLM's star wars stuff is so sacred to so many nerds is it was the first time many of us saw criticism of the films from within the community rather than from outsiders who's main criticism boiled down to 'yea but space stuff is lame' so it was assigned a lot more depth than's actually there.

'Within the community'? No that's absolutely not the case, first off RLM didn't have any profile wrt to Star Wars at all before the reviews, the first Plinkett reviews were all about Star Trek and if you follow their stuff it's abundantly clear that Mike and Rich are gigantic Trekkies more than anything else while 90% of their content about Star Wars usually involves them making fun of it and it's community.

Additionally, it's really obvious that most of the most venomous criticism about the prequels already came from the Star Wars superfans for years and years before RLM showed up, you remember things like Spaced and Clerks talking about this back in 2000?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 21, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So, how long do you think it'll be until that Lord of the Rings sequel trilogy is made?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

khwarezm posted:

'Within the community'? No that's absolutely not the case, first off RLM didn't have any profile wrt to Star Wars at all before the reviews, the first Plinkett reviews were all about Star Trek and if you follow their stuff it's abundantly clear that Mike and Rich are gigantic Trekkies more than anything else while 90% of their content about Star Wars usually involves them making fun of it and it's community.

Additionally, it's really obvious that most of the most venomous criticism about the prequels already came from the Star Trek superfans for years and years before RLM showed up, you remember things like Spaced and Clerks talking about this back in 2000?

Shhh, let the dude be smug.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Mraagvpeine posted:

So, how long do you think it'll be until that Lord of the Rings sequel trilogy is made?

Once the Amazon show starts raking in more money than it could ever possibly deserve because there's more than enough of a consumer base to push the franchise forward towards ever-greater lengths than it ever should have reached

it's me, I'm the smug one

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Let Del Toro make a film adaptation of The Silmarillion.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

khwarezm posted:

Additionally, it's really obvious that most of the most venomous criticism about the prequels already came from the Star Trek superfans for years and years before RLM showed up, you remember things like Spaced and Clerks talking about this back in 2000?

they were trekkies first? that's interesting

eta: does being the star ways guys forever now mean they're in, like, hell?

AriadneThread fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 21, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They did Star Wars videos too, like the United States of No. so they always cared about Star Wars.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

AriadneThread posted:

To a comical degree. In their Half in the Bags its gotten to the point that every single episode seems to have Mike bring up obscure star trek episode that have the most tangential relationship to whatever they're talking about, prompting Jay to look at the camera clearly longing for death.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Roth posted:

Let Del Toro make a film adaptation of The Silmarillion.

You say this like Jodorowsky hasn't un-retired himself and had a new burst of popularity in recent times.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

khwarezm posted:

To a comical degree. In their Half in the Bags its gotten to the point that every single episode seems to have Mike bring up obscure star trek episode that have the most tangential relationship to whatever they're talking about, prompting Jay to look at the camera clearly longing for death.

I think we can all agree that Jay is the best out of the bunch.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Mike liked Get Out because it reminded him of a good episode of Star Trek.

He can't watch The Orville because it overloads the part of his brain that compares things to Star Trek episodes, it is too much for him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tired Moritz posted:

Jay is a cool and nice dude.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

khwarezm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reApQlk5JiA

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

I like Rich and Jack a lot except for their video game opinions. But yeah, Jay is great.

Honestly there's nobody I don't like in the usual stable.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

TheMaestroso posted:

Do you know what "smug" means?

Isn't that the name of the dragon or smth?

Yaws posted:

Explain to me what the opposite of smug is?

That would be "gums".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yaws posted:

Wasn't it Ellis that portrayed people who watched Transformer movies as these white trash dullards?

If not, I apologize in advance. I THINK it's her but I may be wrong.

No that was moviebob.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Arcsquad12 posted:

No that was moviebob.

confusing lindsay ellis for moviebob is maybe the most offensive thing anyone has ever posted in one of these threads.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

AriadneThread posted:

eta: does being the star ways guys forever now mean they're in, like, hell?

When have RLM ever been "the Star Wars guys"? Mike and Rich constantly talk the other participants out of the conversation by comparing minute scenes in Z-grade movies to obscure episodes of Star Trek, they have way more of that going for them.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

ricdesi posted:

When have RLM ever been "the Star Wars guys"? Mike and Rich constantly talk the other participants out of the conversation by comparing minute scenes in Z-grade movies to obscure episodes of Star Trek, they have way more of that going for them.

If you largely/entirely know them based on their prequel videos it's an easy assumption to make

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mike and Rich are the star track guys and Jay has a thousand yard stare.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

ricdesi posted:

the only reason i ever heard of them to begin with was people on this very forum refusing to shut up about their prequel reviews

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
To be clear, I find Lindsay's way better due to part 3 and the sheer research and effort that went into gathering data and interviewing people about the ramifications of the film (even with potential errors). Which isn't to say an analysis must do that, there are plenty of analyses that don't bother doing that sort of research that are even better than her review trilogy, even on Lindsay's own channel. Parts 1 and 2 of her review are quite good on their own, but with just those I could probably call it a matter of taste vs Plinkett, even considering what I feel to be Lindsay's more thorough approach to analyzing the story of the production of the films. It's certainly not her strongest set of videos, I enjoyed her Hunchback and Hercules ones, among others, much more (with perhaps my favorite being her Rent critique). It's the presence of part 3 that really cinches it to me.

The Plinkett reviews I really believe I can only describe as "important and good for their medium and time". They've been eclipsed by other video reviews that put much more craft and thought into their arguments and production, like, at least most of the time, Kyle, Lindsay, Big Joel, Innuendo Studios, Dan, and so on (leaving out Lupa because it's apples to oranges largely with what Plinkett was aiming to do). But then, I generally lean towards "let's use this movie for a springboard to talk about some topic" (the 3 act structure, environmentalism, the cultural/legal impact of a film, whatever) more than "let's criticize this thing" so take my opinion with that in mind.

(PS yes I know Plinkett is a character but it's easier to refer to the character as the author rather than "RLM's Plinkett character" or "the Plinkett reviews" or whatever)

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Adlai Stevenson posted:

If you largely/entirely know them based on their prequel videos it's an easy assumption to make

I suppose, but that's like calling MatPat the Five Nights at Freddy's Guy because oh I see what you did there

For serious though, when you get into their stuff, Star Wars is almost absent from their usual banter, and Mike and Rich are Star Trek reference monsters.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

No that was moviebob.

loving Moviebob. Like, if someone were to tell you that a person wrote a book about Super Mario Bros. 3 you'd have a certain mental image of said person. And in Moviebobs case, you'd be entirely correct. A disgusting person that you don't want to look at.

Anyway, apologies to Ellis for that mixup.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

the only reason i ever heard of them to begin with was people on this very forum refusing to shut up about their prequel reviews

Its what their known for but that is because Star Wars is a lot more popular than Trek.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yaws posted:

Wasn't it Ellis that portrayed people who watched Transformer movies as these white trash dullards?

If not, I apologize in advance. I THINK it's her but I may be wrong.

She uses hypothetical characters named Joann and Cletus as a stand in for people who just want to see movies to have fun and watch explosions and not think especially deeply about the plot. Though I never got the impression that she thinks of this as a bad thing, and, IIRC, she referred to them as disserviced by the Transformers movies, though I will admit I have not watched those videos in a while.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I have plenty of problems with Bob Chipman too, but when people start insulting his appearance and the sound of his voice is starts to get a little weird.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

She uses hypothetical characters named Joann and Cletus as a stand in for people who just want to see movies to have fun and watch explosions and not think especially deeply about the plot. Though I never got the impression that she thinks of this as a bad thing, and, IIRC, she referred to them as disserviced by the Transformers movies, though I will admit I have not watched those videos in a while.

Yeah, that's naked classism. loving Cletus? Really? Did said Cletus like NASCAR and live in a trailer?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Boy these poor whites sure do like poo poo movies! Right guys??!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

RLM is bad because I can't take anyone who invest so much into star wars seriously.

This. Everyone who tells us RLM is better than Lindsay Ellis shows us we can safely discard their opinions as worthless. :colbert:

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

So, I haven't watched MovieBob since pretty much the beginning, when he was a direct, blatant ripoff of Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation.

I just took a look at his MCU recap video and thought "huh, he still talks really fast". ...and then the content started, and it's just straight-up sped-up even more and edited so there is not a single moment of silence in the video.

Couldn't sit through more than a few seconds without my head starting to hurt.

Also, as a critique of what little of the review I saw, you really shouldn't be making jokes at the expense of clarity or opening with an "I dunno" line when you're presenting the entire history of the MCU in eight minutes. Been working on something similar, and I can't even fathom making like any of these editorial choices.

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 21, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

Maybe people talk about the reviews a lot

because

they're good

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

i don't remember this at all, but it's not like like i've watched those videos since they first came out either

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The more you know about movies and moviemaking, the more terrible the Plinkett Star Wars review seem. Because they're wrong on a huge amount of things, as well as being super manipulative on anything to do with Lucas.

I still love RLM and follow their channel and videos, but as the years go by I've come around to realizing the Prequels reviews are just plain bad.

Which doesn't mean you can't dislike the Prequels. That'S a question of simple taste more than whether something is good or not.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Maybe I'm wrong here, but aren't the Plinkett Prequel reviews supposed to be bad? I always understood them as a satire on armchair movie reviewers who think they know everything, but the longer they talk, the more they reveal they're just pissed over shallow or misunderstood details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
The most shocking part of all this arguing is that one person who said they actually like Jack.