Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Buhbuhj posted:

Beautiful day out today so I got my summer wheels on and cleaned off some of the winter dirt thats been on there for months.

I need to paint my tailpipes...

drat that looks good :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My Mustang left the garage for the first time in about 8 months today. I moved 8 months ago and just never really had time to get it out until winter hit so finally got it out today and got the oil changed. I had to explain to the Jiffy lube guy twice that he didn't have bulk synthetic 5w50 so the oil was in the trunk. Also it was like 48 bucks despite bringing my own oil and filter so I may go back to changing my own oil.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I drive a BBW posted:

I went and test drove a 2018 GT and now I want to make a bad financial decision. Everyone needs four cars right?

My wife disagrees but also knows deep down that as soon as I pay off my truck I will go buy another car which will put me at 4 (5 if we're talking household cars and count her shitpile).

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

veiled boner fuel posted:

My Mustang left the garage for the first time in about 8 months today. I moved 8 months ago and just never really had time to get it out until winter hit so finally got it out today and got the oil changed. I had to explain to the Jiffy lube guy twice that he didn't have bulk synthetic 5w50 so the oil was in the trunk. Also it was like 48 bucks despite bringing my own oil and filter so I may go back to changing my own oil.

Jiffy Lube is stupidly expensive. Their one saving grace is that they're open on Sundays, unlike most garages (that will do oil changes for way less).

Also the new 2018 front fascia looks awful. The new headlights look droopy and lovely. There's your reason not to buy one and to wait for a refresh.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

Also the new 2018 front fascia looks awful. The new headlights look droopy and lovely. There's your reason not to buy one and to wait for a refresh.

False

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Actually hes right. The one thing the 2018s hosed up was the headlights look hella dumb and droopy.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Digital_Jesus posted:

Actually hes right. The one thing the 2018s hosed up was the headlights look hella dumb and droopy.

It is ok you are going to smash that part up anyway.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Nope. 2018 headlights look good.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

Nope. 2018 headlights look good.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
aight enjoy your forest whitaker-rear end headlights

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I installed the coil overs over the weekend, and finally got around to tweaking the ride height last night.

Currently I can turn the wheel's lock to lock, w/o rubbing while driving. I'm gonna drive around for a while more to see, if there is rubbing issues in other driving conditions.

The only issue, I am experiencing, is that on the passenger side, I feel like there is a small rock glued to the tire, I can feel like I am going over a little bump.
Its one of those things, that if you don't really pay attention, you wont notice its there kind of a feeling.
the bump increases and decreases with the speed of the car. it does not affect driving the car, and I double checked that all the spacers above and below
the CC plate. On visual inspection, there is no rocks in the tire tread and brakes/abs lines are clear, and I don't feel anything touching on the top of the strut hats where the bottom of the CC plate is.

I don't know if this is an alignment issue (which I need to do), or if this is what coil overs are supposed to feel like when driving. I just don't want to take it
for an alignment if there is something else i have to correct first. any ideas?

Also here is the coil over.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Digital_Jesus posted:

I prefer the pre-refresh ones as well. But it's probably one of those things that could grow on me.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

kalvick posted:

I installed the coil overs over the weekend, and finally got around to tweaking the ride height last night.

Currently I can turn the wheel's lock to lock, w/o rubbing while driving. I'm gonna drive around for a while more to see, if there is rubbing issues in other driving conditions.

The only issue, I am experiencing, is that on the passenger side, I feel like there is a small rock glued to the tire, I can feel like I am going over a little bump.
Its one of those things, that if you don't really pay attention, you wont notice its there kind of a feeling.
the bump increases and decreases with the speed of the car. it does not affect driving the car, and I double checked that all the spacers above and below
the CC plate. On visual inspection, there is no rocks in the tire tread and brakes/abs lines are clear, and I don't feel anything touching on the top of the strut hats where the bottom of the CC plate is.

I don't know if this is an alignment issue (which I need to do), or if this is what coil overs are supposed to feel like when driving. I just don't want to take it
for an alignment if there is something else i have to correct first. any ideas?

Also here is the coil over.

Your car looks awesome, that ride height looks perfect. For the weird feeling in the tire, take it somewhere that has one of them new fangled tire balancers that puts a load on the tire while it turns and takes a bunch of measurements in addition to just balance. Some call it a “road force balancer” but that’s just one brand’s name for it. They can tell you if your tire is out of round or whatever it might be.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I discovered the wobble, and ultimately this is my fault, the coil overs I got where 10" springs and I should have got 12" springs. The wobble I was experiencing was because the coil over was set so low, that the spring was really not firmly pressing against the upper hat when the strut expanded.

The shop adjusted my ride height to a "safe" level of 27" with the expectation it will drop a little bit when it settles in. They used a computer laser thing, so every corner is perfectly even.
I am looking at the final stance being somewhere north of 26 1/2" when all said and done.

After all of this I still ended up with a very little drop from my previous MacPherson spring / strut setup BUT I still had a reverse rake going. The mechanics raised the height of my rears a 1/2" and now the rake looks a lot better. Maybe next year I will do new longer front spring and then drop the rears back down with a rear coil over setup. After the alignment and balancing, the car feels Amazing.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
This is pretty cool in a "still making stuff for our crappy cars" sort of way.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-DP7009W/mustang-intellitronix-digital-dash-gauge-cluster-white-99-04

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-DP7009B/mustang-intellitronix-digital-dash-gauge-cluster-blue-99-04

I dont know much about led tech but I feel like they hosed up by having them all be a single color.

Cage fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 3, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kalvick posted:

I discovered the wobble, and ultimately this is my fault, the coil overs I got where 10" springs and I should have got 12" springs. The wobble I was experiencing was because the coil over was set so low, that the spring was really not firmly pressing against the upper hat when the strut expanded.

You can probably just buy helper springs and set it to however you'd like again.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

This is pretty cool in a "still making stuff for our crappy cars" sort of way.
I dont know much about led tech but I feel like they hosed up by having them all be a single color.

RGB is the #PCMASTERRACE way. without tons of random flashing colors your computer is a pos!
so same thing with cars (i guess.)

Larrymer posted:

You can probably just buy helper springs and set it to however you'd like again.

WTF is that? i have never heard of helper springs. link?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I just talked to MM and they said my car should indeed be able to do less than 27" ride height without any problems and it should not matter the length of the spring.
The oscillation they said could be the internal bump stop of the strut. They said there is no way there was a gap with the spring and top hat would occur even with hard driving and bouncing.
Because of all this, they are convinced my struts have the internal bump stop, stopping me from going lower than 26 1/2. So now I need to decide if I lower the car again (and get new parts) or leave it as is.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
The fancy chrome fuel door for my 2001 Bullitt went to crap over winter and I guess I'm looking at some knockoff on eBay now??? Or getting a stock door and an entire touch up paint pen to get it Dark Highland Green.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I always liked the black $50 one from american muscle. It was on my old car.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-9404-fueldoor-black.html

Cage fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 7, 2018

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
THANK YOU I couldn't find anything that looked close.

Part of the casting that holds the spring blew out, and I assume whatever kept tension fell through the hole.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Why is my 2017 gt destroying the inside of my front tires? Stock ride height and everything.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

fps_bill posted:

Why is my 2017 gt destroying the inside of my front tires? Stock ride height and everything.

What are the alignment numbers?

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Larrymer posted:

What are the alignment numbers?

IDK I haven't taken in to an alignment shop yet. The drivers side is wearing super weird. there's a 1/4" strip of tread on the inside with about 2" of perfectly smooth baldness, the passenger side has cords showing on the inside edge.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
:stare:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Have the dealer check/do the alignment. Should be under warranty, and they might give you a deal on new tires.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Yeah your alignment is way off.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Nooooo. :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOfGnDflRLg&t=126s

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Meh. Its just an SN96.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Um rude, there are at least 3 new edge owners on this page alone. What you SHOULD have said was "Meh at least its a lovely v6*".

Test fit of my old louvers. Not sure if I want to use them.

* - Considering the era. The v6s got pretty good in 2011.

Cage fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 8, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Mustang Murder thread

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cage posted:

Um rude, there are at least 3 new edge owners on this page alone. What you SHOULD have said was "Meh at least its a lovely v6*".

I think they look good and I wish louvres looked ok on my magnetic s550.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cage posted:

To be fair *I* was an SN96 driver for a decade.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
SN95, fuckos. Stop trying to seem a year better.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I drive a s198. :coal:

iwentdoodie posted:

SN95, fucko. Stop trying to seem a year better.
Fixed. :coal:

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Called the dealership by my house and they said 12k or 12 months. I'm at 15k :(

A couple guys at work said after you drive a new car a while and everything settles in you need to get it realigned. Guess that explains why my ST destroyed the insides of tires too.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
but its not an sn95, its a newedge v6.... Not to be pedantic or anything though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

kalvick posted:

but its not an sn95, its a newedge v6.... Not to be pedantic or anything though.
Always heard them referred to as SN96, to distinguish from the 90s SN95.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
my butt is big and it smells

sorry ilkhan i was wrong and rude.

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Figured it was based on chassis code, not year. Like s197 or s550. Shrug.