Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ricdesi posted:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but aren't the Plinkett Prequel reviews supposed to be bad? I always understood them as a satire on armchair movie reviewers who think they know everything, but the longer they talk, the more they reveal they're just pissed over shallow or misunderstood details.

No? That would be stupid and nonsensical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

CharlestheHammer posted:

No? That would be stupid and nonsensical.

Much like your posting.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

cosmically_cosmic posted:

The most shocking part of all this arguing is that one person who said they actually like Jack.

Rich: Jack, help, how do I beat this Bloodborne boss?

Jack: I don't know Rich. I just read the names of people who subscribe.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

ricdesi posted:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but aren't the Plinkett Prequel reviews supposed to be bad? I always understood them as a satire on armchair movie reviewers who think they know everything, but the longer they talk, the more they reveal they're just pissed over shallow or misunderstood details.

that was my initial take-away but many people have since endeavored to correct me on this

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhKqs7dUMa8

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Roth posted:

I mean he's also like a libertarian. And that's not even starting on the high pitched screaming he does instead of making jokes.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I feel like RedLetterMedia started the terrible trend where video reviewers insert clips from interviews and production footage where a director or actor says "something stupid" and that's proof that the movie is stupid too. YMS does this a lot, as well as Ralphthemoviemaker (though I do enjoy his videos.) I think IHE does this as well.

It just always seems like a pretty lazy way of trying to prove your point and comes across as a pretty mean spirited and personal attack. Sometimes people lose their train of thought or simply aren't fully prepared for a question. It doesn't automatically mean that they're an idiot or that the movie must suck.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

I mean he's also like a libertarian. And that's not even starting on the high pitched screaming he does instead of making jokes.

Jack? The only time I can remember him talking about economics he stated that he thinks that capitalism is fine but only if it's heavily and tightly regulated

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

ricdesi posted:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but aren't the Plinkett Prequel reviews supposed to be bad?

I think so? I don't really know. They're hands down the worst part of RLM.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Yaws posted:

I think so? I don't really know. They're hands down the worst part of RLM.

I can endlessly put Best of the Worst on loop and never get bored, but I've seen the Prequel reviews exactly twice in my life and I think I'm good with ever needing to watch them again.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Jack? The only time I can remember him talking about economics he stated that he thinks that capitalism is fine but only if it's heavily and tightly regulated

Granted I don't have a timestamp/video because it was on a pre-rec stream, but I remember him mentioning it along with the time he said the fountainhead is his favourite film, which is a whole other tin of beans.

That is all hearsay though, considering I don't know which vid it is.

The high pitched screaming I have endless evidence of. (Though that might be because he has young children and has just spent years making babies laugh like that and now is stuck)

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Between RLM and Lindsay Ellis, I think we can all agree that Jenny Nicholson is the best youtube reviewer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Roth posted:

That’s....not how bloodborne bosses work.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i think that makes him a cat

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

ricdesi posted:

I can endlessly put Best of the Worst on loop and never get bored, but I've seen the Prequel reviews exactly twice in my life and I think I'm good with ever needing to watch them again.

BotW is easily my favorite part of their output. Stuff like Mike sincerely going to bat for the Geritol Follies is what makes that channel great

Granted I don't have a timestamp/video because it was on a pre-rec stream, but I remember him mentioning it along with the time he said the fountainhead is his favourite film. Which is a whole other tin of beans.

The high pitched screaming I have endless evidence of. (Though that might be because he has young children and has just spent years making babies laugh like that and now is stuck)

I don't doubt your memory but, philosophically speaking, it doesn't at all jive with other things I've heard him say. And I'm pretty sure those films aren't really masterclasses in storytelling so hmmmm

As for the screaming, yeah, to me it's like Rich's laugh. Either you get used to it or you go insane

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I don't doubt your memory but, philosophically speaking, it doesn't at all jive with other things I've heard him say. And I'm pretty sure those films aren't really masterclasses in storytelling so hmmmm

If you watch the pre-rec stream, ask him about it because I also found it very weird. It wasn't like a joke either, he was just like 'yeah my fave film is prob the fountainhead, I really identify with the main char etc'

To quote the Plinkett reviews, it's like your friend casually mentioning they've been reading Mein Kampf

quote:

As for the screaming, yeah, to me it's like Rich's laugh. Either you get used to it or you go insane

At least Rich is just reacting to something, Jacks' improv is 99% shouting in a weird intentionally shrill way. Rich can't even speak english but at least he doesn't just scream when he's riffing.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Arguing which of two review series that cover movies that range from merely fine (Hobbit films) to actually good (prequels) is pretty funny given that the actual film criticism from RLM and Ellis is pretty lame

One is “this standard movie shot selection makes the movie bad” and the other is “I didn’t like that they added characters that weren’t in the book”

Stunning insights there

At least Ellis’ third video covered the industry stuff and it was very cool and good and she doesn’t make videos with creepy rape dungeons

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Conal Cochran posted:

Between RLM and Lindsay Ellis, I think we can all agree that Jenny Nicholson is the best youtube reviewer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People keep saying rape when it’s mostly murders in silly and contrived ways.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Adlai Stevenson posted:

BotW is easily my favorite part of their output. Stuff like Mike sincerely going to bat for the Geritol Follies is what makes that channel great

Watching them lose their poo poo dealing with the (unintended???) sexual innuendo in Wormania! is easily the hardest I've laughed at a YouTube video in a very long time. Partners is another real solid one, from the Black Spine Collection video.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Granted I don't have a timestamp/video because it was on a pre-rec stream, but I remember him mentioning it along with the time he said the fountainhead is his favourite film, which is a whole other tin of beans.

On the whole, the RLM guys who have any sort of online presence are generally left, they just don't talk about it on video for the most part.

Josh and Jack are pretty distinctly in the leftist camp, though, but they also do the most online stuff so.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

Arguing which of two review series that cover movies that range from merely fine (Hobbit films) to actually good (prequels) is pretty funny given that the actual film criticism from RLM and Ellis is pretty lame

One is “this standard movie shot selection makes the movie bad” and the other is “I didn’t like that they added characters that weren’t in the book”

Stunning insights there

At least Ellis’ third video covered the industry stuff and it was very cool and good and she doesn’t make videos with creepy rape dungeons

Keep in mind the Waffle here has zero insight into the prequels and merely regurgitates what other people have said before him.

Like he thinks the prequels are 'actually good" lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

If you watch the pre-rec stream, ask him about it because I also found it very weird. It wasn't like a joke either, he was just like 'yeah my fave film is prob the fountainhead, I really identify with the main char etc'

are you perhaps confusing The Fountainhead with the Darren Aronofsky movie The Fountain

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Yaws posted:

Keep in mind the Waffle here has zero insight into the prequels and merely regurgitates what other people have said before him.

Like he thinks the prequels are 'actually good" lol

Ok op

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Alaois posted:

are you perhaps confusing The Fountainhead with the Darren Aronofsky movie The Fountain

I'm telling you man, it was the Fountainhead. He even described the main char and plot, with reference to how he really relates to the main guy.

And I do legit want someone to ask him on the stream about it, because I would love for him to reveal that he was just being SO perfectly sarcastic that it was undetectable.

(And also ask him to stop killing my ears)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yaws posted:

Yeah, that's naked classism. loving Cletus? Really? Did said Cletus like NASCAR and live in a trailer?

I... guess it is? As I said, she doesn't present them as anything beyond like a personification of the average moviegoer, and even then, in a pretty neutral, quick fashion. Are you really sure you're not thinking of, like, MovieBob in a wig?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Conal Cochran posted:

It's so weird that she started out doing an abridged series style parody of MLP.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Roth posted:

"Ah Rich, or some say Richard...Do you read our subscriptions? As you once did for vacuous ShowBiz Pizzabear?"

I think it's happened, where every single thing around me is Bloodborne. I just platinumed Bloodborne, Vinesauce Vinny's playing Bloodborne, and now this thread's talking about Bloodborne.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

I... guess it is? As I said, she doesn't present them as anything beyond like a personification of the average moviegoer, and even then, in a pretty neutral, quick fashion. Are you really sure you're not thinking of, like, MovieBob in a wig?

She is smug in a more paternalistic rather than aggressive way.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

She is smug in a more paternalistic rather than aggressive way.

:thunk:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I know it’s hosed up op.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

Look, it's been a few years since I've seen the video. I really don't know at this point and I don't really care to dig through her videos to find that poo poo.

Waffles inc is dumb btw

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

I know it’s hosed up op.

Would you perhaps have come too close to the freudian nightmare of your opinion if you correctly said maternal?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Could it be that she comes across as smug to people because she is trying to make a point that she believes is right?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Why do people watch movies

Full disclosure: I like RLM fine, but have never seen the Plinkett reviews. The prequels do not interest me even remotely

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I might have said this before but who cares the funniest video I've seen in a long time aside from Double Toasted's review of Acrimony was the Jenny Nicholson video on that SyFy Channel reality show on the caveman tribe and the future tribe. Goddamn that was funny and not just because that show was stupid as hell but because Nicholson knows how to frame her topics in the most hilarious way possible.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Would you perhaps have come too close to the freudian nightmare of your opinion if you correctly said maternal?
Im fine with my word choice but thanks?

Though this post is heavily ironic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

Why do people watch movies

The world may never know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Roth posted:

Could it be that she comes across as smug to people because she is trying to make a point that she believes is right?

Women talking with authority can be scary, it's like mom all over again!