Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

CharlestheHammer posted:

She is smug in a more paternalistic rather than aggressive way.

If we're scaling things here, Lindsey only manages a like 2.3 on the smugness scale. By no means is she anywhere near Kyle (3.6), Dan (5.8), BotL(7.6) or HBomb (who I can't give a rating, because his smugness is such that not only can the scale handle that much, but it requires me to tare to scale afterwards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

It seems weird to accuse Ms. Ellis of being smug especially in comparison to the RLM guys, who refer to dumb regular movie-goers on a regular basis in Half-in-the-Bag and made a fake podcast to make fun of nerds.

I guess "speaking as if one knows that they're talking about" and "direct mockery" can both be smug in different ways?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

If we're scaling things here, Lindsey only manages a like 2.3 on the smugness scale. By no means is she anywhere near Kyle (3.6), Dan (5.8), BotL(7.6) or HBomb (who I can't give a rating, because his smugness is such that not only can the scale handle that much, but it requires me to tare to scale afterwards).

Dan ventured into CD not long ago and got utterly dunked on. By extension, his smugness went down a peg or two.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sandy Irons was banned by George Noory due to Irons simply calling in to bash fan theories surrounding Supreme Leader Snoke of the Star Wars franchise. Irons' final call in was on August 16, 2017 when he shouted over the phone, "Your Snoke theory sucks! All Snoke theories suck!" as soon as he got on the line. Noory simply asked Irons for his own Snoke theory and Irons began shouting again. Noory dumped him mid-shouting and Irons was banned from the program.[20]

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yaws posted:

Dan ventured into CD not long ago and got utterly dunked on. By extension, his smugness went down a peg or two.

Yeah it showed how loving stupid CD is when it comes to the garbage comic book thread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This argument is stupid. Have a video from Isaac Arthur about how viable O'Neill cylinders could be for space colonization.

Isaac Arthur is a cool channel that looks at science fiction concepts as well as theoretical science regarding humanity's future in outer space. Also, he is aware he sounds like a scientist Elmer Fudd.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The last thing this thread needs is arguing about Cine D

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Roth posted:

i'm gonna start using all 5 limbs as studied in the Burmese martial art of Lethwe to set some goddamn order in this thread if it comes to this

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah it showed how loving stupid CD is when it comes to the garbage comic book thread.

I'm sorry that CD doesn't like the MCU movies. You'll learn to move past this. In time.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DoubleCakes posted:

I might have said this before but who cares the funniest video I've seen in a long time aside from Double Toasted's review of Acrimony was the Jenny Nicholson video on that SyFy Channel reality show on the caveman tribe and the future tribe. Goddamn that was funny and not just because that show was stupid as hell but because Nicholson knows how to frame her topics in the most hilarious way possible.

can't find it, or maybe I did but didn't realize it, care to share a link?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yaws posted:

I'm sorry that CD doesn't like the MCU movies. You'll learn to move past this. In time.

That has nothing to do with Dan Olsen.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

can't find it, or maybe I did but didn't realize it, care to share a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKFgn6tNU6w

Edit: VV I didn't mean to! Clipboard error! :saddowns:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

^i saw what you originally posted motherfucker so instead i'll post a different video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv0v0VCVgJ4

Alaois fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 21, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So weird that the person who originally showed up to to white knight BotL also makes endless bad posts. :iiam:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

jesus christ look at the size of that porg

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

jesus christ look at the size of that porg

Have you never seen it before? The video where she gets it is pretty great.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

So weird that the person who originally showed up to to white knight BotL also makes endless bad posts. :iiam:

I came here to make friends and I've been drinking quite heavily for a few hours now :)

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Alaois posted:

^i saw what you originally posted motherfucker so instead i'll post a different video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv0v0VCVgJ4

This is also good and you should watch it and not the RLM video on Annihilation I accidentally posted originally!

Yaws posted:

I came here to make friends and I've been drinking quite heavily for a few hours now :)

You came to make friends and you didn't bring enough booze for everyone? :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You have failed, then.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Internet Review Thread: The Desolation Of Posting

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Roth posted:

That and less Cine D posters coming in and thread making GBS threads.

For actual content, poparena posted a new Nick Knacks, about Dusty's Treehouse and the associated goings on with that series afterwards.

Edit: Forgot the actual link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhXirhyUImI

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

tudabee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKFgn6tNU6w

Edit: VV I didn't mean to! Clipboard error! :saddowns:

This is the funniest thing I've ever seen

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yaws posted:

That isn't a problem. The problem is that for some reason they like DCU movies.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not the type to do a video essay--I'm too lazy, and I work all the time so I can't afford to anyway--but if I were one of those people I would do one on DEEP FRIED MASTERS, the most important and meaningful reality show of all time. If you haven't seen it, well, it's enthralling.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Arguing which of two review series that cover movies that range from merely fine (Hobbit films) to actually good (prequels) is pretty funny given that the actual film criticism from RLM and Ellis is pretty lame

One is “this standard movie shot selection makes the movie bad” and the other is “I didn’t like that they added characters that weren’t in the book”

Stunning insights there

At least Ellis’ third video covered the industry stuff and it was very cool and good and she doesn’t make videos with creepy rape dungeons

CineD is a loving disease.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

corn in the bible posted:

I'm not the type to do a video essay--I'm too lazy, and I work all the time so I can't afford to anyway--but if I were one of those people I would do one on DEEP FRIED MASTERS, the most important and meaningful reality show of all time. If you haven't seen it, well, it's enthralling.

i'm afraid looking this up is going to be some kind of trap

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

This argument is stupid. Have a video from Isaac Arthur about how viable O'Neill cylinders could be for space colonization.

Isaac Arthur is a cool channel that looks at science fiction concepts as well as theoretical science regarding humanity's future in outer space. Also, he is aware he sounds like a scientist Elmer Fudd.

This is great, thanks for bringing it up. :)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AriadneThread posted:

i'm afraid looking this up is going to be some kind of trap

It is a baffling cooking competition where people try to make the best state fair food to win a corndog trophy. You can tell the studio figured they'd do the duck dynasty thing like "ha ha ain't rednecks funny wheeee hoo," but it all falls apart because everyone actually on the show takes it completely dead serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hraFvIdNck

One time a guy lost because he made something Chinese, and the judges told him that fair-goers don't like foreign food so they penalized him.

I think if you wanted to tell someone what America is, you could show them the episode where someone batters and deep fries an entire softshell crab and then they'd understand.

e: just to be clear I'm not saying it's good, just that it is a hell of a thing

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 21, 2018

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

John Murdoch posted:

It's almost like shitposters defend fellow shitposters.

edit: speaking of garbage people online, Wrestling with Wregret did a video on an awful storyline where idiots online naturally responded by doxxing an actress playing a character and trashing her personal website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNXwAF2AOpI

So the internet was still the same 6 years ago

Testekill fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 21, 2018

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Testekill posted:

It's almost like shitposters defend fellow shitposters.

edit: speaking of garbage people online

:lol:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I almost miss not having botl on ignore. At least he puts some effort into his poo poo posting and occasionally says something insightful. Right side better than inane "no they're worse no they're worse!" back and forth. I saw seventy new posts and thought some juicy channel awful controversy had dropped but instead it's the usual dross.

Sad panda has been re uploading his forget about it videos and the trash talk against CA in them has never been more relevant.
Phelous put up his next video looking at the mortal kombat cartoon as well. Phelous please come post in the thread again I like you.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Wrageowrapper posted:

Shauns German clone, three Arrows, has a video about refugees. Fun times!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0g0BDEid8M

Man, this is a really good video, I hope Three Arrows keeps it up.

I saw this in the related videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s2BLwkk7WI
God, out of all the right wing youtubers there's something about this guy that really gets up my craw the most.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

also while we're dropping hot takes on the countryside like it's Vietnam I'm just gonna say I think the reason RLM's star wars stuff is so sacred to so many nerds is it was the first time many of us saw criticism of the films from within the community rather than from outsiders who's main criticism boiled down to 'yea but space stuff is lame' so it was assigned a lot more depth than's actually there.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The more you know about movies and moviemaking, the more terrible the Plinkett Star Wars review seem. Because they're wrong on a huge amount of things, as well as being super manipulative on anything to do with Lucas.

I still love RLM and follow their channel and videos, but as the years go by I've come around to realizing the Prequels reviews are just plain bad.

Which doesn't mean you can't dislike the Prequels. That'S a question of simple taste more than whether something is good or not.

nah.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 21, 2018

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

khwarezm posted:

Man, this is a really good video, I hope Three Arrows keeps it up.

I saw this in the related videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s2BLwkk7WI
God, out of all the right wing youtubers there's something about this guy that really gets up my craw the most.

I like his "skull" mannequin head.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4JhP-NyeQ

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The adulation the Hobbit videos have gotten was at first baffling, but I guess people just like having the most basic talking points repeated at them.

Attacking the Hobbit's production is good, but the point it serves about how art may be created under questionable conditions is almost infantile. The serious philosophical points are mixed up with fannish nonsense, like how terrible it is that Tolkien's universe is being "run into the ground" by commercialization. It's like the RLM crew complaining that Star Wars is no longer "special" in The Last Jedi review, where the despair for a fictional word losing it's essence hides the reality that there never was any such essence in the first place. Applying this kind of mindset to anything else than some escapist fantasy universe will quickly show how useless it is.

This all culminates in argument about how depressing adulthood and you can't go back to enjoying media like a child. That also explains the video trilogy's popularity: it's a paean to adult-children.

Yaws posted:

I for one cherish Lamps posts and the unwarranted vitriol they get.

The funny thing is that Groovelord Neato's anger stems from the betrayal they feel over the fact that I extensively mocked Patrick Rothfuss's work but then disagreed with them over big franchise movies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's more sadness over how the mighty have fallen. the dc films minus wonder woman are trash fires and it's hilarious seeing someone able to expound upon how bad in the name of the wind is but utterly incapable of processing what failures those movies are on an even basic cinematic level.

and also lol at quoting yaws giving you a positive review.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 21, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i like lindsay's vids and i think she's neat

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
also heavenly creatures is the best peter jackson movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i forgot doug killed off the critic to make a show but didn't upgrade his camera equipment even for that.