Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

As of now backers can download and try out Star Marine or Arena commander (both turned off right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

CIG has spent years getting the trash pipeline setup. Once Hurston is ready they can press a button and procedurally generate 100 star systems full of trash in an instant.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Blue On Blue posted:

I'm the stock picture of whatever ship that is, but with a blur effect applied behind it

The blur effect on that ship and the wreckage below it is really messing with me. It's like wherever they stole that wreckage from they just stretched it out awkwardly and it looks weird and super fake.

Tokamak posted:

i'm the trash biome

Also I'm the empire spread across one hundred star systems that generates maybe a pipe and a dumpster here and there in my "Trash Biome"

For fucks sake CIG. The concept art is all you do. You employ hundreds of artists that have had six years to do nothing but make concept art and that's what you come up with?

These were movies. All you need to do is make a still image in photoshop. That's it. It's not like this is in the game or ever will be. It's a concept art image meant to generate sales by impressing the loving idiots that plow their money into this thing endlessly.

:argh:

I guess with the extreme laziness of this image it might show that the only thing CIG actually has, artists, might have given up.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 21, 2018

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
https://twitter.com/RichardOnTwitch/status/987543992907726849

What's that? you need a refund citizen??? lmao get hosed

here you go captain richard have a new computer lol

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Seems like a really weird time for a marketing push.

Also I wonder if it clicks in the brain of any backer that the $500 spaceship they just bought went toward giving WTFOSaurus a sweet gaming rig for his personal use.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Drunk Theory posted:

You know it took me a little bit to realize, this is all the promised stuff for 3.5. Ie next year.

Agony Aunt posted:

And still just one system and still so many features and mechanics missing before they will be able to make a 1.0 release. A lot of new assets though! New outfits! New ships! All stuff that idiots will pay real money for! This is good for Just Starting Citizen.

I'm now wondering if the game will be released by 2030.

That stuff is scheduled for Q1 next year, but there are things they have slated to happen before that.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Mukip posted:

That stuff is scheduled for Q1 next year, but there are things they have slated to happen before that.

Yes, thank you I would not have been able to find their roadmap without your help. Let’s sit back and watch these lovely projections get pushed out or downgraded together. Oh and rub of course.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Also I wonder if it clicks in the brain of any backer that the $500 spaceship they just bought went toward giving WTFOSaurus a sweet gaming rig for his personal use.

If it involves anything star citizen, it doesn't matter to any of them

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

You just had a free fly weekend. Emails will remind them to come back, but they'll look at twitch/youtube'ers first. If those signal boosters make the game look smooth and pretty, that ~$1000 investment per streamer will be paid back by return buy-ins.

Also CIG needs more money.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

nawledgelambo posted:

https://twitter.com/RichardOnTwitch/status/987543992907726849

What's that? you need a refund citizen??? lmao get hosed

here you go captain richard have a new computer lol

I'm still having trouble with this

Aside from the marketing contract that CIG signed with intel for the optane stuff, why would they be pushing So hard all of a sudden to get the streamers on their side

That's a $3k computer, just based on what is on their website, possibly more depending on what's inside it

Why now of all times would CIG be spending money on what they have generally regarded as nobodies before

Bootcha posted:

You just had a free fly weekend. Emails will remind them to come back, but they'll look at twitch/youtube'ers first. If those signal boosters make the game look smooth and pretty, that ~$1000 investment per streamer will be paid back by return buy-ins.

Also CIG needs more money.

poo poo I guess it makes sense, but the few streams I checked out during the free fly event were actually relatively 'smooth'. In that they were 20-30 fps, with absolutely gently caress all happening that anyone would call gameplay

I just think CIG has yet to realize it is not a lack of people trying to show off their game, it's that the game HAS NOTHING TO SHOW

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Blue On Blue posted:

poo poo I guess it makes sense, but the few streams I checked out during the free fly event were actually relatively 'smooth'. In that they were 20-30 fps, with absolutely gently caress all happening that anyone would call gameplay

I just think CIG has yet to realize it is not a lack of people trying to show off their game, it's that the game HAS NOTHING TO SHOW

Effect the things you can effect.

If you can't make a game fun, make it look pretty to others.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
It's just weird that they have had this Optane deal since last year and they've gone through years of E3s, Gamescoms, Citcons and whatever else and only now in the middle of April 2018 after their quarterly release is already done are they doing a full court press and throwing brand new computers at all of their streamers.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

Effect the things you can effect.

If you can't make a game fun, make it look pretty to others.

I thought the frame rate shits itself, independent of what hardware you have.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Yeah, but you can mitigate it slightly with a better computer.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Blue On Blue posted:

I'm still having trouble with this

Aside from the marketing contract that CIG signed with intel for the optane stuff, why would they be pushing So hard all of a sudden to get the streamers on their side

That's a $3k computer, just based on what is on their website, possibly more depending on what's inside it

Why now of all times would CIG be spending money on what they have generally regarded as nobodies before

I think you're missing the point

These streamers make CIG a lot of money by inferring a completely working game with the occasional "hiccup" (teehee, game crashed, that NEVER happens guys) and implying that there is way more to it than what's there. Not to mention how many ships CIG gives the streamers to give away and creating an 'in' to get the winner to get hooked and buying more jpegs.

that's my hot take

hotcake

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I wonder what's the threshold of money you've to have thrown in this 6-years-in-pre-alpha collection of amateurish crap, past which you start believing that there's a secret and more advanced build developed by the competent people at CIG, where also transparency in unprecedented.

Yeah, being in development hell actually means you can actively develop and maintain (at least) two versions of your project, the worst of which is barely functional and exposed to the public who funds your work, so that hopefully one day you can go "surprise! how you like them apples now, goons?"

Clearly people grasping at straws and really believing in the power of their dreams (and Crobber's fantasy land) know more about game development though.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mukip posted:

Amazing enough, i did look at that, and that is why i said what i said.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tokamak posted:

i'm the trash biome

I still laugh at the immediate and sustained impact of the Blade Runner sequel on SC's art direction. Roberts couldn't stop talking about it on their big livestream last year, and then you have this.

It even has the dead tree.

Wise Learned Man fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 21, 2018

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

We are pretty drat close now and I'm sure the only reason we dont have such things in planes and cars is simply because of the government taking ages to adopt anything new .... like we are seeing how with laser headlights being banned from entering the market

And plus there is the good old mechanical fall back of glass and mirrors when the little cameras get broken or filled with dirt

Cars are going to look so goofy the first few years after manufacturers finally remove wing mirrors though ,

We are already there ; in the high prices tickets, passengers are in a bubble with fake portholes, these are screens that let you view from cameras outside. And the pilots already fly hand free, they are only needed for take off/landing. But to have an automated landing you'd probably need an overhaul of airports, with a layer of sensors on the landing runway and a direct link with any incoming aircrafts.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Its paid for by intel. Ships cost nothing for cig to giveaway and cig gains a rededicated scamployee to hype up the game and make it look as good as humanly possible

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Any of you “they need to steal to feed their families” ppl wanna defend this?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ColonoscopyExp posted:

Any of you “they need to steal to feed their families” ppl wanna defend this?

What? Where that come from?

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Agony Aunt posted:

What? Where that come from?

Several pages ago I put forth that even the lowliest QA tester likely knows its a scam at this point (i.e currently advertised features are impossible etc) and works there despite that their paycheck is derived from a scam. In fact at this stage of the game the scam would not be possible if they did not actively help develop the front and appear on ATVs etc. And that makes them Bad People.

Several posters think they are Good People because they need money for rent. But in my opinion they aren't gainfully employed. They are "employed" the same way a phishing scam telemarketer or mugger is employed. Their paycheck is not predicated on providing a good or a service, but on victimizing others.

So I was wondering how those people viewed these streamers getting cash (standard part of these deals with other games) and free stuff (to unbox, advertise, and benefit from) to continue the scam. Good people trying to feed their kids or Bad people?

ColonoscopyExp fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 21, 2018

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't address this before but there was a QA guy who said he QA'd what he was told to QA on a scam project. So he says he was providing the good/service and deserved his paycheck.

Being able to swing a bat really hard and accurately is a marketable skill. Yet we look very differently at the people who are paid to use this skill on rival's heads or on baseballs. there are endless examples I picked a fun one dont nitpick you guilt ridden man

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

ewe2 posted:

It's a sarcastic Australian joke, I was hoping to smoke out fans of the show :saddowns:

Unlikely to find any fans on SA. Around here, we’re tough. Uncompromising. No holds barred, no ‘beg your pardons’.

And we don’t have the brown underpants on for nothing!

I’m off to Pissweak World.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Just put the dumbass on ignore and move on with your lives, y'all. Until such time as everyone working for CiG, big or small, spontaneously combusts and burn away into ashes, this dipshit will not be satisfied. Do not interact with him/her.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Just put the dumbass on ignore and move on with your lives, y'all. Until such time as everyone working for CiG, big or small, spontaneously combusts and burn away into ashes, this dipshit will not be satisfied. Do not interact with him/her.

I just think they should all quit/lose their "jobs" and get real ones. Don't project.

Like at the very least stop going "Poor devs! They look so tired I bet they are crunching!". Good lord.

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

ewe2 posted:

It's a sarcastic Australian joke, I was hoping to smoke out fans of the show :saddowns:

No need for sad! I watched your clip and found it funny.

It's more of an auditory trigger for me. I can't hear or see the word 'champagne' without thinking of Orson Welles drunk off of his rear end trying to sell cheap wine.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

ColonoscopyExp posted:

I just think they should all quit/lose their "jobs" and get real ones. Don't project.

Like at the very least stop going "Poor devs! They look so tired I bet they are crunching!". Good lord.
Sure, they can just go and get jobs from the job tree. It's that simple!

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

Buying monster hardware to streaming shills is a comparatively cheap way to project an illusion of relatively smooth gameplay to the masses.

I would not be at all surprised if popular streaming accounts would be flagged with a tag enabling them to play on "streamer only" server with low population. Watching at some goon streams during the free flight weekend it looked like it is hard to even get from the bed to the spaceship without crashing for regular people.

ColonoscopyExp
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyTolradi posted:

Sure, they can just go and get jobs from the job tree. It's that simple!

It often is! And they currently dont actually have jobs!!!

But seriously think about the implications of your logic there. Anything is permissible to get money because getting a job can be hard?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

post balls or gtfo

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Taking money from Chris Roberts is a worthwhile endeavour

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ColonoscopyExp posted:

But seriously think about the implications of your logic there. Anything is permissible to get money because getting a job can be hard?

Yes? Like, in what world do you live? Assassins, Kidnappers, and Ball-posters have needs too.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

ColonoscopyExp posted:

Several pages ago I put forth that even the lowliest QA tester likely knows its a scam at this point (i.e currently advertised features are impossible etc) and works there despite that their paycheck is derived from a scam. In fact at this stage of the game the scam would not be possible if they did not actively help develop the front and appear on ATVs etc. And that makes them Bad People.

Several posters think they are Good People because they need money for rent. But in my opinion they aren't gainfully employed. They are "employed" the same way a phishing scam telemarketer or mugger is employed. Their paycheck is not predicated on providing a good or a service, but on victimizing others.

So I was wondering how those people viewed these streamers getting cash (standard part of these deals with other games) and free stuff (to unbox, advertise, and benefit from) to continue the scam. Good people trying to feed their kids or Bad people?

This is the most boring gimmick yet. Come on man, go balls out, get something unique hanging out there. Balls.

SD Trying to piss up rope in an attempt to outspend Derek on the forums aside, what's the over and under on those new images being Archered from one of the Resident Evil movies?

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

ColonoscopyExp posted:

I didn't address this before but there was a QA guy who said he QA'd what he was told to QA on a scam project. So he says he was providing the good/service and deserved his paycheck.

Being able to swing a bat really hard and accurately is a marketable skill. Yet we look very differently at the people who are paid to use this skill on rival's heads or on baseballs. there are endless examples I picked a fun one dont nitpick you guilt ridden man

First of all, it wasn't a "scam project" it was a game which had features cut or changed, some of which weren't workable and so ended up on the cutting room floor even after being tested and tweaked, eventually the project got cancelled but the writing was on the wall for a while, which for your edification, was an extremely stressful period for a lot of people who put their heart and soul into that project. If that counts as a scam then I guess every game ever made is a scam unless you know one which has delivered exactly on it's initial design document?

I guess as a medic in the military now I'm responsible for the bombing runs on Syria. SORRY GUYS.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
this gimmick is pretty good at getting people itt to defend star citizen though.

Perhaps -- and hear me out because this is extremely controversial -- but perhaps it is possible to think both 'these people are in on a scam and morally should quit' and 'but pragmatically why would they given they have bills to pay etc' at the same time

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

In addition to the reasons previously put forth, I think the sudden burst of public investment in streamers is CIG trying to blunt the impact of the revelation via discovery that they have been paying streamers on the downlow all along.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

I know I've been silent on this for a while now and that I'm not the MoMA of old, but here is where I have to comment:

Chris is not actively defrauding backers or enticing others to be complicit in a scam for purposes of padding one's pocket. You are all (mostly) intelligent folk and to think that a game dev from days-past has come to the light once again in final attempt to create the game he has envisioned would so publicly try to pull a 'fast-one' in front of 2 million+ individuals would not only be brazen, but downright idiotic in today's political and legal climate. Government agencies are out for blood, especially in this hosed-up administration because missteps can so easily lead to lack of funding. The judiciary face the same scrutiny and I would imagine that many would err on the side of caution and conservation instead of being so fast-and-loose with decisions.

OK - all of that said (and why I still need to make this disclaimer after all this time is beyond me, but I'm not affiliated with CIG in any other way than an overzealous backer): I see Chris and team in a similar light to Lucas and the production of SW Episodes 1 - 3. Lucas came back to "finish" his masterpiece because he said the technology final caught up to his vision, and I compare that to Roberts thinking that he can finally substantiate his vision into something tangible. There's no other explanation for his attitude, passion and antics except that he must really believe that his vision can be accomplished with current tech and resources, so much so that he turned the dial to 11 with over 400+ employees under his employ.

No disrespect Don, but you're no one to think you can hold his neck under your boot. I don't know if you're a backer or not, but whether you have skin-in-the-game is moot: Chris and team will continue to chug forward collectively. 60+ Open positions, half of which are art or back-office related, are not a good indicator of collective business success. And to over a counterpoint: neither is the current state of the game. No - my personal feeling is that the current code base, current iteration that is backer-facing and current attitude is one that is 2 steps behind what CIG is privately working. They have contracted resources assisting with the netcode and are likely working on a scalability model for AWS, none of which fall under the umbrella of "open development" because it could be proprietary and simply not ready for public consumption. Not everything CIG does needs to be broadcast, especially if it's not ready (which I know is par for the course in some aspects).

In any event, the "fleecing of backers" so claimed by many of you is not on CIG. There's not force - there's no gun-to-the-head - for someone to back the game. Anyone could just as easily sit-out and watch, but if someone wanted to partake in play it's been well established since the kickstarter that money spent is on development. Promises made at this time to deliver a certain type of gameplay that got enveloped in scope-creep probably should have been re-evaluated and/or conceded. But after the first moves into the direction of an expansion of scope, I think it became clear to many (certainly not all) where the vision was heading.

I'm glad your family is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

Golli posted:

In addition to the reasons previously put forth, I think the sudden burst of public investment in streamers is CIG trying to blunt the impact of the revelation via discovery that they have been paying streamers on the downlow all along.

excellent point