Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yup :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
"Mitchell Neil William "Mitch" McGary is an American former professional basketball player who is currently a bowler."

At least Ostertag was legit 7 foot and didn't wear loving platforms, Aldrich is like the platonic ideal of big dumpy white center who was good in college though.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/987529920913006592?s=19

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

So uh are the Pacers gonna beat the Cavs?

Pacers in 6.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

that boy ain't right

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tae posted:

This Cavs/Pacers series is just the longest grudge held when the Cavs picked Bennett over Dipo

The funniest part about that is allegedly Gilbert wanted them to draft Dipo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Aron Baynes is the ideal target to be dunked on. He's big, white and can get enough air to make it look real impressive.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spacebump posted:

The funniest part about that is allegedly Gilbert wanted them to draft Dipo.

I mean considering how badly Dipo sucked up to this year the result would be the same either way.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That is absolutely ridiculous

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That dunk was crazy live. I rewinded it to show my girlfriend and she asked why it was a big deal... :arghfist:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

RCarr posted:

That dunk was crazy live. I rewinded it to show my girlfriend and she asked why it was a big deal... :arghfist:

:sever:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Kobe went out with a 60 point game though.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Hahah I meant that in general it's basically a good way to see how people view basketball and Kobe in general, everyone kind of has a personal spin on how they interpret that game

The best part was watching all the drunk celebrities in the front rows amazed.

Players with 50 FGAs in a single game:

Elgin Baylor once.
Kobe once.
Rick Barry once.
Wilt 14x.

The issue I have is that Kobe didn't commit to doing 50+ a night on his farewell tour. He does it one time in his whole career on his last game. He should've taken 4,100 shots over the season and shattered Wilt's 1962 record of 3,159.

Wilt actually did 60+ FGAs 3x.

Kevin Love has let down LBJ. LBJ can only make so many 3P shots.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don’t think his wife has been sick for a year and a half.

It was a lot longer than that. More like twenty years of affliction.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I just cannot shake the feeling that Kawhi + Paul George in LA is going to happen. A Lonzo/PG/Kawhi/Kuzma/Randle would probably put them around 50 wins.

No need for a t-shirt salesman and a Gatorade salesman on the 2019 Lakers.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Pacers not named Bogdanovic were 1-17 from 3 tonight. Luckily he was 7-9.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The B_36 posted:

It seems to be the nature of professions like sports, music, acting - you either make obscene amounts of money, or you struggle to make ends meet, there's no middle ground and the talent/effort difference between the two is very small.

It's the nature of the world. The same trends are happening all around the world. Jeff Bezos and others are accelerating into the hundreds of billions while people are starving and higher percentages are going deeper into negative net worth.

G-Hawk posted:

Capela: 32 points, 28 rebs 4 blocks
Towns: 13, 22, 2

LBJ: 98 points, 34 rebounds, 25 assists.

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

So uh are the Pacers gonna beat the Cavs?

LBJ still might be capable of turning on Frankenstein terminator mode again and having some more 40+ GmSc games so it's still early.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ghost Dog posted:

the only ones who benefit are dumbos who want to have a weird voyeur moment about something awful happening to someone in the nba

The media benefits from that kind of coverage.

Someone should ask LBJ about the passing of Barbara Bush and Miloš Forman after his next playoff loss.

morestuff posted:

He's also specifically right that trying to give Mitchell poo poo for 28 points on 25 shots in that situation is dumb pedantry

People bowed down to Kobe when he got his finals MVP after shooting 6for24 which was funny. Or more recently Harden doing 2for18 and cruising to a dominating twenty point win.

Ramadu posted:

i think KG is goin full videodrome on inside the nba what the heck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0XwWXgISXI
Full Videodrome?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I just cannot shake the feeling that Kawhi + Paul George in LA is going to happen. A Lonzo/PG/Kawhi/Kuzma/Randle would probably put them around 50 wins.

That team would have a terrifying wing defense.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Strawberry Panda posted:

Also, this is the first time a Boogie team has gone to the playoffs. And they may get out of the first round without him. I wonder how this feels to him.

Probably like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9CQscwXBt0&t=257s

Lockback posted:

Also Lonzo Ball is a good young player :colbert:

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=QkWS9PiXekE&p=n#/144;147

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 21, 2018

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Hoping the Raptors remember how to play before Sunday, but because I'm a pessimist it's a little hard to imagine right now.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

Looks like Bron is wearing his pants for some reason.

From the last page, but that is actually the signature style of Thom Browne suits, and I think it actually works here rather than on most people.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Dexo posted:

That team would have a terrifying wing defense.

And teams would promptly switch Randle onto their best guard and roast him over and over.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

If Wall was warning Ibaka about putting his finger in people's faces, then why did the ref have to whisper it :clint:
https://twitter.com/HoopDistrictDC/status/987541222079303680?s=19
https://twitter.com/FeignEnthusiasm/status/987511750227619841?s=19

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

this makes the :stat:man in me wonder what's the most one sided dunking relationship in history. like who dunked on who the most of all time. probably shaq and some 90s white guy right

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Shaq had so many mean dunks on Sabonis.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Rick posted:

Shaq had so many mean dunks on Sabonis.

Shaq dunked on Ostertag so hard that Ostertag had to go to therapy

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Zogo posted:

The media benefits from that kind of coverage.

Someone should ask LBJ about the passing of Barbara Bush and Miloš Forman after his next playoff loss.

People bowed down to Kobe when he got his finals MVP after shooting 6for24 which was funny. Or more recently Harden doing 2for18 and cruising to a dominating twenty point win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0XwWXgISXI
Full Videodrome?

my dude that was basucally KGs segment on inside the NBA i was chanting long live the new ballers

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

chunkles posted:

this makes the :stat:man in me wonder what's the most one sided dunking relationship in history. like who dunked on who the most of all time. probably shaq and some 90s white guy right

It’s Wilt and every center in the league who wasn’t Russell or Kareem. They all had to complain about it constantly the next day at their body shop jobs, too.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean considering how badly Dipo sucked up to this year the result would be the same either way.

It was the path he needed to take to reach greatness. Orlando taught him the hell that awaits mediocre ballers. Russell taught him the value of intensity, and Indiana showed him the value of friendship with your teammates. The Hoopster's Progress from the Draft Combine, to the Larry O'Brien Trophy

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Boredumb posted:

From the last page, but that is actually the signature style of Thom Browne suits, and I think it actually works here rather than on most people.

I googled Thom Browne suits and I hope the Cavs show up next game in this:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

blue squares posted:

The middle one would have been Isaiah’s

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe

blue squares posted:

The one with the short arms would be great for Kevin Love.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Henchman of Santa posted:

The middle one would have been Isaiah’s

This made me lol too hard

IT short jokes will always be in style

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think you need to reassess what “sucked” means

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dr.Radical posted:

I think you need to reassess what “sucked” means

Are.... are we pretending Dipo didn’t suck?

Because objectively he did. Don’t let current success cloud your view of the past.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Raps lost on purpose just to gently caress the Wiz long term. Grunfeld keeps his job if they lose in 5 or 6. Masai playing chess when everyone is playing checkers.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because objectively he did. Don’t let current success cloud your view of the past.
If y

[quote="CharlestheHammer" post="483370055"]

His lowest ppg average has been 13.8 points, he has always averaged over a steal a game, about 4 rebounds, and some assists. Are you just assuming that a player who doesn’t put up all star numbers sucks?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

well if his points per game were good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dr.Radical posted:

His lowest ppg average has been 13.8 points, he has always averaged over a steal a game, about 4 rebounds, and some assists. Are you just assuming that a player who doesn’t put up all star numbers sucks?

Those stats are bad. He wasn’t even good as a role player as he wasn’t a great rebounder and can’t shoot. He finally got it together in Indy but no one thought he was good.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Eh I mean whatever. Dipo was never as bad as people pretend but if it makes you feel like a basketball genius to not admit it then that’s your jam and go on ahead

E: like for example I have seen people in these threads say that George Hill was really good and as a Pacers fan who has watched him tons I just can’t agree with that. His numbers don’t agree with it either by your metrics. Dipo has for sure done way better than expected but I just don’t think he was as awful as y’all are making him out to be :shrug:

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 21, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dr.Radical posted:

Eh I mean whatever. Dipo was never as bad as people pretend but if it makes you feel like a basketball genius to not admit it then that’s your jam and go on ahead

I don’t think I’m a genius for understanding a bad player was bad. Especially when it’s obvious.

I really wanted him to be good and am sad he couldn’t be good on the magic, but he just wasn’t.

I do think this is an opportunity for you to learn that pure state aren’t a good indicator of anything tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dr.Radical posted:

Oladipo was objectively not very good, his Orlando teams sucked, his efficiency sucked and his counting stats sucked for his usage rate/playing time. Throwing out underwhelming counting stats and then immediately dropping to "Eh I mean whatever" isn't going to convince many people that a formerly aggressively mediocre player was actually good in retrospect

There's a reason his sudden development was shocking, and it's not because he was good to begin with

• Locked thread