Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Quick clarifications :

Can you edit NPC mechwarriors? I see they've got a backstory, if you change details does that carry over?

Are those NPC mechwarriors random on game start or the same each time?

Are missions actually random or again, pre-set?

e: Another question. I think I remember reading but I could be wrong - was it confirmed that one or two (?) original mechcommander voice actors were on board to voice in this?

Jesus, Tuesday can't come quick enough.

Iymarra fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

We really need an Its happening gif with twerking urbie

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
You cannot edit NPC MechWarriors yet. It was one of the features cut for time.

The starting MechWarriors are locked in- you, Behemoth, Dekker, Glitch, and Medusa.

Hopefully it will be added later.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
No Rooster?

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

We really need an Its happening gif with twerking urbie

It's really low effort but I'm lazy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

cugel posted:

It's amazing is what it is!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

People view the shadowhawk's main gun as the AC/5. The AC/5 has a minimum range, thus they feel they should keep the shadowhawk back instead of just firing the AC/5 while closing in.

People don't understand bracket builds basically.

The AC5 is it's main gun - remember it's effectively an AC9. It's only 5 damage off a PPC. The biggest problem with the Shadowhawk is that it runs too cool imo.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

cugel posted:

Amazing

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DatonKallandor posted:

The AC5 is it's main gun - remember it's effectively an AC9. It's only 5 damage off a PPC. The biggest problem with the Shadowhawk is that it runs too cool imo.

I'm sorry, but the Shadowhawk's main guns are its fists. :v:

Seriously though, I love the shadowhawk's ac/5 shoulder gun, and I'm always sad when people inevitably rip it out to fit in more SRMs or whatever. It just doesn't feel like a Shadowhawk without it. While I"m bitching about the mech, I really like the MWO version except those weird double thumbs and the head/cockpit. I wish it had kept a more open canopy style cockpit similar to the original Dougram.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Galaga Galaxian posted:

those weird double thumbs

I never noticed :aaa:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

IAmThatIs posted:

I never noticed :aaa:

Yeah, those piss me off. They started on the Centurion and worked their way onto every design and it's like: Ok, that would've been a cool one-off unique thing, why is it everywhere? It makes the 'Mechs all look like they came from the same manufacturer. The BattleMaster has them too.

Humans don't have two thumbs, and the 'Mech's hands are controlled mostly by pilot brainwaves. It must be a bear trying to teach yourself to control that second thumb with your pinky. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

And then there is Banshee "Six Fingers" McCoolShades.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And then there is Banshee "Six Fingers" McCoolShades.

:dealwithit:

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Iymarra posted:

Quick clarifications :

Can you edit NPC mechwarriors?

Not in game, but you can edit their .json files

quote:

I see they've got a backstory, if you change details does that carry over?

See above

quote:

Are those NPC mechwarriors random on game start or the same each time?

Your starting lance is static, but you will find both static (Backers) and randomly generated Pilots at Hiring Halls.

quote:

Are missions actually random or again, pre-set?

Story missions are pre-set, but the entire rest of the game is generated.

quote:

e: Another question. I think I remember reading but I could be wrong - was it confirmed that one or two (?) original mechcommander voice actors were on board to voice in this?

No idea, but one of the actors from The Expanse does VO work.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
From the streaming stuff I've see, the Shadowhawk seems to have no hardpoints on it's Left( I think?) arm. In tabletop could just just detach it entirely for spare tonnage?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, those piss me off. They started on the Centurion and worked their way onto every design and it's like: Ok, that would've been a cool one-off unique thing, why is it everywhere? It makes the 'Mechs all look like they came from the same manufacturer. The BattleMaster has them too.

Humans don't have two thumbs, and the 'Mech's hands are controlled mostly by pilot brainwaves. It must be a bear trying to teach yourself to control that second thumb with your pinky. :v:

I was almost 100% certain that neurohelmets only really keyed into the mech's sense of balance and equilibrium, rather than acting as some kind of neural control interface.

Two thumbs is pretty useful if you're actually intending on using the hand to grab things.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 21, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No. And in HBS Btech you don't want to think "Oh I can just strip all the armor off to save weight!" either. Internal damage repairs are costly and time consuming, plus you can use the arm to soak fire by positioning your mech properly. Plus if the arm is destroyed any attacks that roll the arm as their hit location just transfer inwards to the closest torso section anyways.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No. And in HBS Btech you don't want to think "Oh I can just strip all the armor off to save weight!" either. Internal damage repairs are costly and time consuming, plus you can use the arm to soak fire by positioning your mech properly. Plus if the arm is destroyed any attacks that roll the arm as their hit location just transfer inwards to the closest torso section anyways.

"Armor repairs are free and instant, internal repairs are costly and time consuming" seems to me that the game's basically screaming at you to never skimp on armor for campaign purposes. In one-off skirmishes I could definitely see it being worth the tradeoff, but not in the campaign.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Damage transfer is the big reason.

Stripping armor is popular in MWO because of how their weird transfer rules work (only 40% of damage transfers). Also, arms fall off when destroyed and their hitboxes mostly vanish, whereas in HBS's game I assume dead arms will still be a valid roll on the hit table. Overall the opportunity cost for stripping armor is way higher than it is in MWO.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 21, 2018

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

cugel posted:

Low effort is the hallmark of the Urbie.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kanos posted:

"Armor repairs are free and instant, internal repairs are costly and time consuming" seems to me that the game's basically screaming at you to never skimp on armor for campaign purposes. In one-off skirmishes I could definitely see it being worth the tradeoff, but not in the campaign.

Yeah, you always want your units to be well armored, though you don't necessarily have to go maximum armor depending on the unit's purpose.

Also, IIRC Kiva mentioned that torso armor is bugged right now and you can full armor both front and rear instead of the two splitting the same maximum amount of allowable armor.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I noticed that in Cohh's streaming.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, you always want your units to be well armored, though you don't necessarily have to go maximum armor depending on the unit's purpose.

Also, IIRC Kiva mentioned that torso armor is bugged right now and you can full armor both front and rear instead of the two splitting the same maximum amount of allowable armor.

I also saw Kiva mention last night in Beaglerush's stream that sale prices for mechs seem bugged. He completed a Commando that would scrap for about 115k; the shop sale price was 100k. :psyduck:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

I was almost 100% certain that neurohelmets only really keyed into the mech's sense of balance and equilibrium, rather than acting as some kind of neural control interface.

Nah, Clan pilots with neural implants don't really need physical controls anymore (it's why ProtoMech pilots are fine being swaddled in their tiny little coffin-cockpits, they don't need room to use physical controls)

The balance thing is just the only part the idiots in the Inner Sphere still understand. There's a reason most BattleMechs are humanoid: because it's easier for a person to wrap their brain around something that approximates their range of motion.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I was under the impression that the neural interfaces that Clanners could use (and are in fact mandatory for ProtoMechs) were so damaging to the mind that even the hyper militaristic Clans thought it wasn't worth the cost.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I also saw Kiva mention last night in Beaglerush's stream that sale prices for mechs seem bugged. He completed a Commando that would scrap for about 115k; the shop sale price was 100k. :psyduck:

It might be a bug, but this doesn't sound so unreasonable. Repairing mechs is expensive, and it makes some sense that repairing a specific variant you want to hang onto is more costly than buying a whole new one if you can find it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nah, Clan pilots with neural implants don't really need physical controls anymore (it's why ProtoMech pilots are fine being swaddled in their tiny little coffin-cockpits, they don't need room to use physical controls)

The balance thing is just the only part the idiots in the Inner Sphere still understand. There's a reason most BattleMechs are humanoid: because it's easier for a person to wrap their brain around something that approximates their range of motion.

Yeah but only psychopathic zealots have EI implants and they're regarded as super dangerous and crazy by most because they drive you insane even if they don't kill you with feedback, so they're hardly the norm.

It seems pretty implausible to me that they don't understand how neurohelmets work, considering that even by the early 3000s they were manufacturing new mechs again. The Merlin hit the field in 3010. That and "battlemechs are humanoid because it simplifies controls" doesn't explain all the mechs with gun arms or reverse-jointed legs. The Catapult doesn't resemble a human body in any way besides "has a vague torso area with two legs that don't function like human limbs at all".

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 21, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The lore contradicts itself on the issue of why mechs are humanoid(ish) all over the place.

The real answer is because stompy robots shooting poo poo at each other and punching each other in the face are hella cool.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

The real answer is because stompy robots shooting poo poo at each other and punching each other in the face are hella cool.

Pretty much this, yeah. Rule of Cool applies.

I just enjoy speculation: the only novels that use any sort of physical mechanism to control 'Mech limbs are the earliest Grey Death Legion novels with their waldo controls. Those waldos get dropped hard, they don't even turn up in Wolves on the Border (where it's implied that some pilots are just really, really good at connecting to their 'Mechs). Later books all feature foot pedals (and the Jump Jet Bar) and a five-button joystick (or two, but usually just the one).

The only logical explanation is that the neurohelmet handles more than "just" balance (which is something the gyro should be doing unassisted anyway but gyro crits are fun :v: ).

Edit: Casual reminder that the computers in BattleTech are advanced enough to read your brainwaves, predict that teenage Melissa Steiner likes the novel Sweeney Todd, and can calculate accurate and basically instantaneous travel over interstellar distances all while also being tough enough to withstand being left to rot in the ocean for 300 years and will still work once you fish them out and clean all the dead shrimp out of their heat sinks...

... but are still basically Apple IIs with RAM measured in kilobites.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 21, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pretty much this, yeah. Rule of Cool applies.

I just enjoy speculation: the only novels that use any sort of physical mechanism to control 'Mech limbs are the earliest Grey Death Legion novels with their waldo controls. Those waldos get dropped hard, they don't even turn up in Wolves on the Border (where it's implied that some pilots are just really, really good at connecting to their 'Mechs). Later books all feature foot pedals (and the Jump Jet Bar) and a five-button joystick (or two, but usually just the one).

The only logical explanation is that the neurohelmet handles more than "just" balance (which is something the gyro should be doing unassisted anyway but gyro crits are fun :v: ).

Isn't there also a bit in Close Quarters where Cassie hijacks a Battlemaster and laments having to use the kludgy manual backups to move its arms cause she doesn't have the time or training to pull the neurohelmet of the dead pilot and get properly plugged in?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 21, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Skippy McPants posted:

Isn't there also a bit in Close Quarters where Cassie hijacks a Battlemaster and laments having to use the kludgy manual backups to move its arms cause she doesn't have the time or training to pull the neurohelmet of the dead pilot and get properly plugged in?

Yeah, there is (also she forgot and sorta pitched the pilot's body out the window and only realized after the fact that a Neurohelmet would've made things much easier).

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

If I were a manufacture, I ain't going to waste time and money stockpiling two types giant robot hands when I can just make one type that can serve as both a righty and a lefty.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, there is (also she forgot and sorta pitched the pilot's body out the window and only realized after the fact that a Neurohelmet would've made things much easier).

I always liked the pseudo-canonical conceit that most of a mech's motor function is controlled through the neurohelmet. Having to operate the physical cockpit controls while also mentally juggling what amounts to a full body prosthesis goes a long way towards selling the mystique of why being a Mechwarrior is genuinely difficult.

Edit: It also invokes a lot of comedy relief moments, like neophyte pilot accidentally punching the hanger wall with his Shadowhawk when all he meant to do was grab one of the fire control sticks.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 21, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Back Hack posted:

If I were a manufacture, I ain't going to waste time and money stockpiling two types giant robot hands when I can just make one type that can serve as both a righty and a lefty.

That is the best defense of those dumb hands I've seen.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Except that doesn't fly in universe either as clearly the IS manufactures at least are positively terrified of efficiency or usability.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's sort of goofy that so many mechs have humanoid hands anyway, considering that it's not like they use them to hold interchangeable weapons or anything. A claw is enough for rudimentary picking stuff up, or if you just want something to hit people with you can either mount a weapon like the hatchet/sword mechs or just have a blunt ramming fist.

I can't imagine articulated mech fingers are in any condition to pick something up after being inserted at high velocity into another mech's torso plating.

e: What I'm really saying is that the handheld weapon rules should have been baseline so the Charger's small laser pistol could be canon and swapped around.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 21, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kanos posted:

It's sort of goofy that so many mechs have humanoid hands anyway, considering that it's not like they use them to hold interchangeable weapons or anything. A claw is enough for rudimentary picking stuff up, or if you just want something to hit people with you can either mount a weapon like the hatchet/sword mechs or just have a blunt ramming fist.

I can't imagine articulated mech fingers are in any condition to pick something up after being inserted at high velocity into another mech's torso plating.

As far as the books go? Yeah, they are. There's fluff about the fists being reinforced specifically for that, and the fingers are dexterous enough to pick up stuff without damaging it.

The justification for fingers etc. is that they are actually really useful for manipulating complex objects and as an added bonus your mechwarrior who is plugged in via a neurohelmet intuitively grasps how to use them in a way he might not some kind of industrial claw. Yes this clashes a lot with how you have some exceedingly un-humaniod mechs (hard to imagine morphological similarity helping you drive a locust, for example) but like I said before there are a lot of inconsistencies.

from a more practical standpoint the mechs with hands also act as salvage vehicles after the fights. They're pretty much big rear end industrial machines and frequently the best thing around for picking up some 50 ton mech that had its legs blown off to get it on the salvage crawler is a couple of 100 ton mechs. You see a lot of stuff like this in the assorted fluff, especially when it comes to the rough and tumble merc unit doing salvage operations.

If you want to be really charitable the different control methods (stick, pedals, helmet, waldos, whatever) are a thing for more or the same reason different variations on how to steer a large vehicle are a thing today. Different solutions to specific engineering problems figured out by different teams at different times and used for different purposes. Throw in a few hundred years of cludging poo poo together and "backup" systems sometimes becoming primary systems and you get the mess that we're talking about here. The real answer is that FASA didn't ride herd hard enough on their various authors so there's a lot of contradictory information, but you can hand wave that if you channel your inner sperg hard enough.

edit: oh, and the in-universe explanation for why hand held weapons can't just be swapped willy nilly are targeting and cooling link ups. If your phoenix hawk wants to ditch the large laser rifle it can, but you're going to be cutting a lot of links so it's not going to be usable again until a tech plugs them all back in. It's the kind of thing you do if you want to have both hands free to do something like grab valuable salvage before skeedadling or whatever.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You need a hand to mount a hatchet or sword, it's one of their few actual requirements. You can't just staple one to the end of a Zeus's missile arm even though it has the Barrel Fist (aka a blunt ram designed for punching) quirk.

My favorite dumb hand design is still the Scylla, which technically has hands in the same way the Yeoman technically has a torso, but the fingers are so stubby the Scylla can't touch them together and the only thing they can ever possibly accomplish is getting in the way of its own missile launchers if the pilot accidentally makes a fist.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Do the Crabs claws have any special quirk/gameplay impacts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

Do the Crabs claws have any special quirk/gameplay impacts?