Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

big nipples big life posted:

What the gently caress does getting a refund have to do with social justice?

Also, lol

Its the old conflating unrelated things for no reason at all gambit. I'm just surprised he didn't call the refunders cucks as well. A missed opportunity there!

He totally misses the point as well. I'm sure most refunders knew there would be a risk of non-delivery of what was promised at the time they backed. I presume most backers didn't expect the risk of lies, deception, endlessly shifting goals, and the need for more and more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Snow
White ice
Ice
Aaaayyyyssseee
Aise
Thunder water frozen from sky
Snaw
Snao
Slushy froth
Death from above
It's like Summer in New York
Frozen sunshine
Sled food
Dehydrated and frozen water
Lice
Cocaine
Glitzies
Snoo
El snow
La snow
Le snow
Fresh snow
Snow snow

And this is only what I know of my very basic Eskimo languages when I was but a young Eskimo crossing the channel between Russia and Alaska back in the day when the world was one big chunk.

CIG called. They want you to replace the language guy they had before. Can you start on Monday?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/980515165912424453

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

I'm sure most refunders knew there would be a risk of non-delivery of what was promised at the time they backed. I presume most backers didn't expect the risk of lies, deception, endlessly shifting goals, and the need for more and more money.

This is on-point and what pisses me off about the whole affair. Although there are a few smug assholes who like to tout the line that people are pissed because they're "risk-averse", the reality is that nearly everyone who backed knew there was a risk of non-delivery. That was never in question - I always knew my own money could be gone with nothing to show. What I didn't expect, like you outlined, was the incredible ineptitude and dishonesty as this sham of a project devolved.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

The Titanic posted:

This stuff is not new ground. This stuff is what most big dollar engines come built in with as a tutorial. This isn't where you want to be right now after 6 years in your space ship game about space ships.

The thing that cracks me up is that the people who participated in that race event probably had more fun doing it, than they ever had flying their space charriots in the past 6 years. Think about it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Milky Moor posted:

come on Skadden, tell us how much CIG is spending on 'influencers' and astroturfing

I'd be curious to know if it costs more to get hostile grade support. Like when you weaponize your marketing strategy, how much does that cost in difference to somebody who just goes around to websites randomly saying "boy I sure do love ___! Let me tell you about it!" Like that Boo Huxley character.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tokamak posted:

i'm the trash biome

I guess it's time to take on Mad Max, huh? Didn't hit that market yet. :shrug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bofast posted:

CIG called. They want you to replace the language guy they had before. Can you start on Monday?

Already on it and accepted the offer, friend. Just wait what's in store when I get to refactor the languages 4 times for the vandals! It will be amazing and definitely worth the $6M sunk into it!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I'd say every transaction in Star Citizen is a microtransaction from CIG's perspective, since no matter how much money you give them, you get nothing in return.

You make a fair point

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Nyast posted:

The thing that cracks me up is that the people who participated in that race event probably had more fun doing it, than they ever had flying their space charriots in the past 6 years. Think about it.

I believe it. I've said it before but I'll reiterate it again:

I'm pretty sure the best parts of SC will not be the space game. The space game is hard and CIG no longer has the talent to pull it off well.

We're going to see more and more third/first person FPS stuff and more junk there as time marches forwards. If I can do it outside of being in control of a space ship, it'll be a big focus. Stuff like these cars is great too, because as mentioned there are tons of tutorials out there. Anything art related too, as always. Making a model is a ton easier than integrating that model into a video game that interacts with stuff around it.

The time for CIG to break new ground is over. Now it's time for them to show us how well they can re-skin the basics with an new coat of shaders and 1M polygon models.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zzr posted:

It's like there has been a change of shift mid-post.

They did say in that very post that they were not the MoMA of old, so :shrug:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:rip: surface detail

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

In other news, I just got my Battletech key, making Star Citizen the only crowdfunded project that has hosed me to date.

I have 2 or 3 failed kickstarters on my backing record, depending on whether or not that spiritual sequel to Space Quest has come out or failed yet. I'm not sure I even care to look at this point :(

fake edit: Apparently, it's not out yet but they are still posting updates 5 years after the estimated shipping date, so who even knows for sure :shrug:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
On the upside, all the video game music kickstarters I backed have been nothing but joy and success :unsmith:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Already on it and accepted the offer, friend. Just wait what's in store when I get to refactor the languages 4 times for the vandals! It will be amazing and definitely worth the $6M sunk into it!

Just be sure to have a different word for each layer of jackets.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
SJWs don't understand game development.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Speaking of which, did anything even resembling seamless planetary landings ever show up? No one busts on it anymore.

lol no stuhr schnitzenden is bad

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I just want the AMD letter to get accidentally released during discovery. Is that too much to wish for?

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

Daztek posted:

lol

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

35 Years Of Influence – A Look Back at Origin Systems, Creators of Ultima and More

quote:

With the Ultima games becoming progressively bigger and more complex, Origin also began to pivot to other genres and niches. It was at this time that Chris Roberts joined the company and directed the RPGs Times of Lore and Bad Blood, which became mere footnotes to the 1990 release that defined the company’s identity as much as Ultima… Wing Commander. There were space combat simulation games before Wing Commander, but it raised the bar for the whole industry in terms of production value and realistic simulation.

Wing Commander was a great commercial success, and the demand for expansions and sequels didn’t diminish for most of the 1990s. Origin Systems was fully established as a powerhouse of both RPGs, simulation games, and first-person 3D technology. This technology was just beginning to come into play, which would give rise to the first-person shooter. John Romero had worked at Origin Systems for about a year before moving on to found id Software with John Carmack, Tom Hall, and Adrian Carmack.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lladre posted:

I just want the AMD letter to get accidentally released during discovery. Is that too much to wish for?

:same:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Thinking Wing Commander is a realistic simulation of space flight is akin to thinking Moon Buggy is a realistic simulation of the Apollo missions.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

tooterfish posted:

Thinking Wing Commander is a realistic simulation of space flight is akin to thinking Moon Buggy is a realistic simulation of the Apollo missions.

Or that Flappy Birds is a realistic simulation of bird flight.

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

tooterfish posted:

You mean Moon Buggy isn't historically accurate? Dammit, tooterfish! Why do you have to destroy my childhood?

(As a side note...Gabe Newell was never exactly svelte but god drat has he let himself go since 1999. I mean, I'm always fighting middle-aged spread but that man is heading for Type-II-Diabeetus-Land.)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Or that Flappy Birds is a realistic simulation of space mining.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'd say damnit, because i had a friend raving about crypto back in 2002-ish, and i said, meh. If i had got into it back then, i'm pretty sure my investment would have multiplied and by 2003 i'd have blown my profits on a pizza.

Such a lost opportunity.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Don't even need to troll them anymore, they do it for you.

More time to rub.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Looks like “diagetic” finally came up on someone’s word-a-day desk calendar.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

that's a lot of text for someone drunk and on mobile to read

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lladre posted:

that's a lot of text for someone drunk and on mobile to read

Just hit cruise control while you are driving and you should be able to make it through.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Daztek posted:

Nooooo! the 15 page rebuttal I was writting!

MoMA! Help a bro out. Say something really loving dumb, maybe go kill some endangered marine animal. Come on, just be yourself for a bit.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Drunk Theory posted:

Don't even need to troll them anymore, they do it for you.

More time to rub.

We trained them well. I'm proud.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hold on guys, i've got this.

Summary: What they want is to CIG spend a lot of time of mechnics that will piss off a lot of players and make certain things really tedious.

Ok, come on, own up, which of you guys is trolling?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bofast posted:

Effort posts (from G0rf and others) - $10
Pgabz - $5
Kayak - $5+
Derek getting banned - $10
Various meltdowns - $10
Chris "playing" his own game - $5
CIG holiday stream - $10
Crobear (+variants) - Priceless

Wow thanks for nothing, rear end.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sammie isn't the only one with opinions on the matter.

https://youtu.be/e_fzHxsMFTA

Sally his adopted sister.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wow thanks for nothing, rear end.

I guess I forgot to add the following:
Misc. shitposting - $15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav