Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way Games, I've been playing the HeMan: Master's of the Universe PS2 game, based on the 2002 revival. - it's pretty fun. Just got past Triclops and to level 2. I'm now riding battlecat, which is kinda neat because while in the first stage x and square both physically attack with the sword, on battlecat X becomes a claw swipe from the kitty while the sword moves entirely to the square button.

I was waiting until I beat Triclops before recommending it because he was a pain in the rear end to do but it was annoying in an appropriate way (given that in the show he had a different eye beam type for each eye)- you approach him in a massive arena with him at the centre, trying to avoid his beams, of which he has loving annoying to avoid homing shot and a normal laser blast, but when you get to the little bit in the middle where he hangs out meleeing him is way more manageable. I just kept dying during the approach and getting pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

BioEnchanted posted:

By the way Games, I've been playing the HeMan: Master's of the Universe PS2 game, based on the 2002 revival. - it's pretty fun. Just got past Triclops and to level 2. I'm now riding battlecat, which is kinda neat because while in the first stage x and square both physically attack with the sword, on battlecat X becomes a claw swipe from the kitty while the sword moves entirely to the square button.

I was waiting until I beat Triclops before recommending it because he was a pain in the rear end to do but it was annoying in an appropriate way (given that in the show he had a different eye beam type for each eye)- you approach him in a massive arena with him at the centre, trying to avoid his beams, of which he has loving annoying to avoid homing shot and a normal laser blast, but when you get to the little bit in the middle where he hangs out meleeing him is way more manageable. I just kept dying during the approach and getting pissed off.

thank you, i was curious if that game was any good, but i didn't want to try it myself until i ran out of other cartoon games from licenses i actually understood

i'm glad to hear it's better than people say

i still need to get to that weird-rear end woody woodpecker game that alexey recommended

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Oh man is that Woody game some weird kind of awful. Makes PK Duck seem good.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Oh man is that Woody game some weird kind of awful. Makes PK Duck seem good.

Since Alexey recommended it, I have no choice but to believe it's good until I experience otherwise

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Since Alexey recommended it, I have no choice but to believe it's good until I experience otherwise

Hear hear!

Also a little thing you may find amusing - I played Tron Evolution a few months ago, and for the boss that you knocked off the Solar Sailor at the end of the V3 video, mine broke very differently - I was having trouble countering him when his AI totally broke and he just stood there motionless as I threw my disk at him for about 3 minutes. Pretty funny.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Also a little thing you may find amusing - I played Tron Evolution a few months ago, and for the boss that you knocked off the Solar Sailor at the end of the V3 video, mine broke very differently - I was having trouble countering him when his AI totally broke and he just stood there motionless as I threw my disk at him for about 3 minutes. Pretty funny.

Oh, did you enjoy Tron: Evolution? That's one of my favorites, definitely. I wish you had gotten the chance to record the glitch, but recording PS3 games is very difficult

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Oh, did you enjoy Tron: Evolution? That's one of my favorites, definitely. I wish you had gotten the chance to record the glitch, but recording PS3 games is very difficult

I played it on 360 and did enjoy it. I may run through to get the rest of the collectibles some day. Also there is a Carmen Sandiego PS2 game you may enjoy, at least I dug it, called Secret of the Stolen Drums. I have a NG+ save file that I'm planning on running through because apparently for NG+ you get a different ending, although the game itself is identical as no powerups are kept from the first play. Carmen has a cute rapport with the main character, like at one point he is looking through a pair of binoculars at her while she stands on a steamship, and she is looking right back at him from her own. Old gag but a cute one. Also some of her clues have little notes to the player character, like "You're gonna need this hon..." attached to a Peruvian hat.

Also the framing device is pretty funny - starting with the main character being chewed out for abandoning his post to chase Carmen, as the other agents were sent on a wild goose chase to the wrong location, but as the game progresses the chief starts getting more and more enthralled by the story and what the main character actually did. She gradually becomes less annoyed and more impressed, which is funny.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

An extra video for the Radio Allergy LP

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Time for a double bill of Ace Lightning: First of all, we tackle the final Cowboy Crossroads level in:
Ace Lightning Part 10 - Cowboy Crossroad Cemetery.

Next we tackle the boss of the area, the easiest boss in the game, Dirty Rat:
Ace Lightning Part 11 - Dirty Rat boss fight.

Also, to continue what me and GASN were discussing: 1) HeMan's first battlecat level has a big problem with ledges with poor or no hit detection, and that's pretty sad, I fazed through the world way too many times. The second level in that segment seems better for that so far, but I worry it may carry across to later levels, so bear that in mind.
2) An aspect of Tron Evolution that I thought was well done was the fact that while you don't defeat Clu, being allowed to kill the Abraxas virus and destroy the big death ship at least helps the game not feel pointless - you at least accomplish something.
3) The Spiderwick Chronicles game is loving fantastic. I loved it. Tells the story better than the movie did because it fleshes out the world more with sidequests. Crap final battle, but many games have that problem and a cute sidequest opens after beating it, so gently caress it.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 20, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I think I started and left unfinished two casual LPs by now and today I had the incredible idea to at least finish this trilogy of incompetence. So I fired up my PS4 and became Darkwing Duck

Dark Winged Ducks 01: Quaker Jack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHeCM6ZbvYg

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ace Lightning Part 12 - Climbcrag Castle: Firemoat Fort

This is a neat introduction to the final set of normal levels - after this video we are 2 levels and 2 bosses away from completing the game!

Also, to clarify on calling the Princess enemies "transphobic" I was referring to the old dumb joke of "You thought it was a girl but lol it's a guy!" which is often the calling card of assholes who think that's how transpeople work. I don't think the devs were intending it to come off the way they did, but similarly to the same joke in Toy Story 3 it is still in poor taste, especially nowadays.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

it is still in poor taste, especially nowadays.

It's usually done out of accidental ignorance, from people who simply aren't aware

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's usually done out of accidental ignorance, from people who simply aren't aware

I know why it happens, they grew up with the joke and just never bothered to think about it. I can still call it out though, especially if it starts cropping up in later games that should know better. Still, a fun level. And the delivery of the joke did make me laugh with the high pitched scream they do, its the same kind of joke as Bugs Bunny getting caught in a shower. So I'll admit to enjoying the joke despite it's age.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I know why it happens, they grew up with the joke and just never bothered to think about it. I can still call it out though, especially if it starts cropping up in later games that should know better. Still, a fun level. And the delivery of the joke did make me laugh with the high pitched scream they do, its the same kind of joke as Bugs Bunny getting caught in a shower. So I'll admit to enjoying the joke despite it's age.

I've sent you a message through YouTube's messaging system about chatting through Email or Discord or something, since we keep chatting back and forth here about secondary topics and I'm too lazy to buy private message privileges on SomethingAwful

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

The problem here is access, it's the kind of poo poo that only Eastern Europeans and Poles might be able to get their hands onto in the year 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I've sent you a message through YouTube's messaging system about chatting through Email or Discord or something, since we keep chatting back and forth here about secondary topics and I'm too lazy to buy private message privileges on SomethingAwful

Nevermind, I saw you just did the same thing and I've now responded with my Discord handle. My mistake

Alexeythegreat posted:

The problem here is access, it's the kind of poo poo that only Eastern Europeans and Poles might be able to get their hands onto in the year 2018

I can just import the PS2 version

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Nevermind, I saw you just did the same thing and I've now responded with my Discord handle. My mistake

I can just import the PS2 version

Thanks. Sent the Friend Request.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Part 19 - Archdragon Peak

I almost forgot I was posting these in here :sweatdrop:

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzGTOJkNVh4

Doodle Date is a game where you play as one of those sickos in art class who beats off to his own drawings, and I kinda dig it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Part 20 - Sidequest Conclusions and more Ariandel

This is even more rambly than usual, mostly because I wasn't doing that many actually fun things. I'm sorry! At least I almost kill the Nameless King first try* (the only try in this video), so that's cool?

*for this playthrough

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ace Lightning Part 13 - The Drab Dungeon.

We explore a long, mildly annoying level with a ton of enemies and I lose a few lives due to a difficult platforming section. Welcome to the Penultimate Level!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ace Lightning Part 14 - Tumbledown Tower

Actually three towers all starting from the top of the last one, and quite a gauntlet to boot. A cool level, with some aspects of monumental assholery.

Also, that Wizard Swarm can go gently caress itself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ace Lightning Part 15 - Boss 4: Random Virus

We fight a boss with a gimmick that really should have been reserved for a game with functioning physics..

Also, a few thoughts on the level design since now we only have one boss to go to finish the game:

Something that strikes me about Ace Lightning is it tends to alternate between vertical and horizontal movement, sometimes in the same level. The Big Top is largely horizontal, as is most of Cowboy Crossroads with the only verticality being the end of the Cactus Gulch with the climb to the hotel.

However, the Garden of Illusion is a large horizontal level, followed by a deep vertical climb, then the final level having both types of movement in spades. Then the Medieval levels combine them further with a Fort to climb with brief horizontal and vertical sections that switch quickly, a dungeon that is mainly horizontal with some challenge rooms that have some verticality, and finally the upcoming level, a large tower with a few horizontal challenges but that is mainly vertical.
I thought that was interesting.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) doesn't need an introduction by this point. It's one of the most infamously bad, incomplete, unintentionally hilarious games in recent memory. Plenty of people have played it to show off its ridiculous badness, but few have actually been payed to do it. Thanks to my Patreon patrons, I have.
This is a totally casual, loose, goof-off playthrough of the game. The weird thing- despite never playing the game until now, I'm... weirdly good at it? I die plenty, but I end up not having an awful time with it despite how demonstrably unplayable it is. This is perhaps aided by my co-commentators, Mugiwara Yoshi, a long-time friend and collaborator whom I haven't worked with in over a year until now, and JigglyJacob (Shadow's story on) who is likewise but I have worked with more recently. We have a history goofing on Sonic (warning: pretty cheap and dated, but also necessary to understand our nonsense). We riff the poo poo out of the game and end up having a blast. However it's worth noting that, because of this, this LP can be either hilarious to you or loving annoying. :v:

The Sonic Story was streamed on my Twitch to celebrate our channel's 8th birthday, and later story streams followed in subsequent months. The LP parts have been edited down from the stream to shorten the egregious load times when possible and skip through long retries. New parts go up on Mondays.

Sonic's Story

Shadow's Story

Silver's Story

Last Episode

--------------------------------------

(By Brenna Okazaki)

(By CJ)

(By MattM)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 15, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

you should s-rank it, that's the standard that's been set now

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It had to happen eventually.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I kind of like Tails being Mech Boy, it's a niche that the other characters outside of eggman don't fall into so it's his own thing. More interesting than just being "Sonic with a weird butt" which was his original character in gameplay.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

there are many things to like about Sonic 06

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ace Lightning: Final Boss!

In this fight we finally take down Lord Fear!... and Pigface... and Anvil... and Lady Illusion again? Yeah, this fight has a lot of players although only three really matter, the last one is just a distraction.

Something amusing that I just realised after uploading this is that Lord Fear has a party, like a JRPG character. He is the white mage, Lady Illusion is the Black Mage casting spells from afar, Pigface is the speedy Thief/Rogue, and Anvil is the Knight/Fighter. A Balanced Party.

Now that I have finished with this, next weekend I may do the next McFarlane video, so that could be neat.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I bring you more Burnout, with a look at the excellent sequel. We still have no Takedowns or EA Trax buttrock, but what we do have here is some truly excellent arcade racing and of course the debut of the Crash Mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8J_dQe4UGY

Watching this back, it seems I'm pretty relaxed about all this crazy 150mph+ action going on. That's :finland: for you.

Also, while I mention in the commentary that Burnout 3 is next, I wasn't planning on doing an LP video like the first two games and I'm adapting my retrospective article for a video review thing instead.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I started watching the Ace Lightning TV show because of your LP, and now I have bought the series on VCD.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I started watching the Ace Lightning TV show because of your LP, and now I have bought the series on VCD.

What have I done :ohdear:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Something amusing that I just realised after uploading this is that Lord Fear has a party, like a JRPG character. He is the white mage, Lady Illusion is the Black Mage casting spells from afar, Pigface is the speedy Thief/Rogue, and Anvil is the Knight/Fighter. A Balanced Party.

Where does Googler fit into this? This is imperative.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Shoeless posted:

Where does Googler fit into this? This is imperative.

I meant specifically for the final boss. Googler, Dirty Rat and Random aren't included in that fight, Fear's party is Fear, Illusion, Pigface and Anvil.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

I read synapses for some of the episodes and I don't think I would be able to handle the level of cringy cheese

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

I read synapses

You can read minds?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

You can read minds?

That was a typo but also yes

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I think shows like Ace Lightning are beautiful in that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Dark Winged Ducks 02: Dumbass Duck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RJUF5BxtDs&t=1356s

More technical troubles and for some reason the game audio is still louder then my voice. Welp, at least I made no progress, so I can have another go at trying to get a sane sound balance on my PS4!

Episode 1