Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why do you ignore the Godzilla franchise?

Because a gigantic radiation lizard whom'st breathes radioactive fire is rad as hell. Ergo: Nukes are rad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah. godzilla is "nukes owned and we deserved it".

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Shin Godzilla is one of the best movies of the past 5 years tbh

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Anyone else watch Good Bad Flicks, specifically his Exploring series? His regular reviews are way too dry for me and some of that carries over to his more in depth videos but I like it when he gives a rundown of a film's production history in a 10-15 minute chunk.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Miss Wallace posted:

Dunno if this is a joke I'm not getting, but Phelan's never posted on this thread.
:crossarms:
Is this a meta joke?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Phake Phelan phound

https://twitter.com/Phelous/status/987751764685443073

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

We are witnessing a bot becoming self-aware

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

SFdebris has another review out on a Voyager era Ferengi episode.

http://www.sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v844.php

It contains a very brief dig at Channel Awesome too.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

how boring to pretend to be someone else and not even do anything interesting with it

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Terrible Opinions posted:

So is BotL a lovely clone of SMG or is he the evil universe version of SMG? I can't keep SA continuity straight.
Someone put it best BOTL is the Troy Duffy to SMG Quentin Tarantino

To be fair I rather have a thousand people in this forum pretend to be Phelan than the 100s that pretend to be a fat slobbering Slovenian man with the contrarian film takes and so on and so forth.

As for good content Ants Canada is a show by a former contestant of Canadian Idol who now lives in the Philippines and makes elaborate ant terrariums as a hobby.

He's been making some real batshit insane ones the last couple of months, but this week he's kind of going back to basics after dealing with a lot of poo poo with his Amazon River aquarium/terrarium hybrid to house his Tropical Fire Ant colony.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WlhLmh7uiQ
Guy has a real passion and is a good showman along with being really nice and open to his fans. His videos are also a deep rabbit hole to various other ant collector enthusiasts, including an Australian man who is cultivating various species of Bull Ants :stare:

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 21, 2018

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Jimbot posted:

Not sure how showing using nuclear weapons being super effective and saving the day makes them more anti-nuke than using it which accelerates your own destruction. I mean, you can like one movie and dislike the other, dislike or like both but the messaging in Avengers was pretty bad.
I'm coming at it from the angle where the nuke in Avengers is an American strike against it's own people. It only saved the day because of the actions of the avengers and the presence of a giant space vortex. If it had gone as intended it would have atomized New york. The only planned collateral damage in Batman V Superman was superman. It was a bad idea to nuke the monster, but there's no realistic way anyone would have known that.

Basically, one nuke was justified and the other wasn't even if the results didn't line up that way. That's my take anyway, I'm not inclined to cheer for nuking civilians even if it turned out alright in the end.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
A justified nuclear attacking turning out bad seems more anti-nuke than an unjustified nuclear attack turning out good.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
Or maybe — hear me out here — it’s not pro-nuke or anti-nuke, and is just there as a neutral threat the heroes have to solve to avert self-destruction.

Sometimes a nuke is just a penis nuke.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
To some, nukes are a neutral, non-ideological threat, and directing them at aliens is just common sense.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Unless any of you chucklefucks are gonna loop this Man of Steel talk back around to the actual point of this thread, can you everyone else a favor and gently caress off to the film forums.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
Wait, hang on, I got this...

I generally like a lot of Ralph’s content, but his Zack Snyder character always felt really weird and out of place, and I’m pretty glad he seems to have killed the character off for good via... showing him he isn’t real? Macon is... a strange evolution, but at least there’s something to work with there.

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 21, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Miss Wallace posted:

Dunno if this is a joke I'm not getting, but Phelan's never posted on this thread.

Calling it now: Failin Porte_Potty is LorneKat's alt account.

Also, stop arguing about Man of Steel/Batman v Superman.

poparena posted:

Oh good, this thread is also garbage now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km3uZCVQyiY

I'll update this at some point so that it says 'Personality' instead of 'Critic'

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 21, 2018

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I declare myself mod so I can ban all of you

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've been quite fond of this video essay from Breaking Banter about the No Man's Land scene in WW. I have some minor quibbly nitpicks about their interpretation of Diana's "primary internal struggle," but overall I find it a really good examination of why exactly that sequence works so well that I haven't quite seen from other reviewers.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

ricdesi posted:

Wait, hang on, I got this...

I generally like a lot of Ralph’s content, but his Zack Snyder character always felt really weird and out of place, and I’m pretty glad he seems to have killed the character off for good via... showing him he isn’t real? Macon is... a strange evolution, but at least there’s something to work with there.

It was Fake Zack Snyder’s time to take off for that big Turkish Airlines in the sky.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Right. Well, nice to see you were all able to remain calm and rational while I away this morning/afternoon.

Anyway, I'll state it officially here just so that everyone can FINALLY shut the gently caress up about it, but given his little preformance over the course of today... and you all's response to it :manning:, BravestOfTheLamps is no longer welcome to post in this thread because of the earth-rending disruptions he causes every goddamn time he hits the Submit Reply button. And I shall make drat sure that this continues to be policy under my eventual successor, not that I imagine they will need much convincing.

Thank you for your time.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

"Say, I wanna hear a mostly positive but yet critical view of Sonic The Hedgehog done on a neat and cute style, a bit like a listenable hybrid between an Anatomy Of X and a ZEAL article"

There ya go!

I do not understand the meaning of the manning emote. This is not me being confrontational about it, just confused.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

nine-gear crow posted:

Right. Well, nice to see you were all able to remain calm and rational while I away this morning/afternoon.

Anyway, I'll state it officially here just so that everyone can FINALLY shut the gently caress up about it, but given his little preformance over the course of today... and you all's response to it :manning:, BravestOfTheLamps is no longer welcome to post in this thread because of the earth-rending disruptions he causes every goddamn time he hits the Submit Reply button. And I shall make drat sure that this continues to be policy under my eventual successor, not that I imagine they will need much convincing.

Thank you for your time.

Thank the friggin lord.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

post an internet person

a youtuber i follow has been slowly putting out a series of videos about their trip to antarctica, and the series is almost finished. they're really well done, imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpNrosb3lCE

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Can we just threadban anyone who has ever posted in CD for fairness

And if real Phelan wants to ever post (why) perhaps I can help...or just contribute to his Patreon.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Kunster posted:

I do not understand the meaning of the manning emote. This is not me being confrontational about it, just confused.

Peyton Manning has a massive forehead.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

i forgot doug killed off the critic to make a show but didn't upgrade his camera equipment even for that.

Always remember: Lol Doug Walker. I don't even watch him just to find new material to mock him for, does he still use the onboard camera?

Miss Wallace posted:

Maybe deep down Phelan was inside of all of us this whole time.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

http://www.thedrawplay.com/comic/how-gravity-should-have-ended/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kunster posted:

Kay Kessler posted:

It's also great for expressing one's existential disappointment in a subject.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So now that that's settled, I'm curious, I got introduced to an internet reviewer recently, and for once it was one I actually found myself liking instead of getting annoyed at almost instantly. Overly Sarcastic Productions.

I've only watched a couple of videos from each person, and I like Red's more (minus the Trope Talk, but that's just me), but I love Blue's history segments. They remind me very much Geop's history stuff, which I love too (and I'm almost convinced they take a lot of inspiration from him but I've got no actual way to prove that other than some topics and style/music choices), and I've been thinking for years that I would totally watch a channel that was just history lectures or summaries, and here it is, but with cool summaries of mythology too.

They seem to be relatively popular, so it's weird that I've never seen anyone talk about them in here, unless I've just been blind, which is entirely plausible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Also a firm flourish to the fake Phelan for fooling us fellows. Well played... I guess? Do I have to ban him now too? :confused:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

Thank you for your time.

I love you

Failin Porte_Potty
Apr 4, 2017

Pounded in the Butt by an Outhouse Pretending to be an Internet Reviewer.
By Chuck Tingle

nine-gear crow posted:

Also a firm flourish to the fake Phelan for fooling us fellows. Well played... I guess? Do I have to ban him now too? :confused:

I mean, I guess you could. I tried to keep it going for as long as possible and emulate the humour where I could. Clearly posted too many times in a row and gave it all away though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
In Bob We Trust - APU TRILOGY: PART II (The Simpsons): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVJ1mBcfNdk

Part 1 here.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Failin Porte_Potty posted:

I mean, I guess you could. I tried to keep it going for as long as possible and emulate the humour where I could. Clearly posted too many times in a row and gave it all away though.

Congratulations, for the most bafflingly boring prank executed in the history of internet

I give you three information superhighways out of five

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Failin Porte_Potty posted:

Well, like "Real" Phelous said, you haven't posted anything defamatory or mean spirited and you're pretty chill about everything now that the jig's up, so I'm cool with you staying if everyone else is.

You'll always be the real Phelan in my heart :blush:

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Leal posted:

Maybe deep down Phelan was inside of all of us this whole time.

Maybe the real Phelan was the friends we made along the way.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Now that I'm back (just as bad and twice as ugly), I can say that I really enjoyed Lindsay's hobbit three-halfology. I hope she does a piece about Hercules and Xena, which I imagine also had a bit of an impact on the New Zealand film industry, as well as introducing the world to Lucy Lawless, who is a blessing on us all.

Failin Porte_Potty
Apr 4, 2017

Pounded in the Butt by an Outhouse Pretending to be an Internet Reviewer.
By Chuck Tingle
I guess I can just post silly jokes and updates to Phelan's output.

On the account that Phelan is alright with it, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Now that I'm back (just as bad and twice as ugly), I can say that I really enjoyed Lindsay's hobbit three-halfology. I hope she does a piece about Hercules and Xena, which I imagine also had a bit of an impact on the New Zealand film industry, as well as introducing the world to Lucy Lawless, who is a blessing on us all.

Hercules and Xena was what more or less sustained the NZ film industry during he lean years of the 90s, which didn't really do much outside of a few big ones here and there - there were several high profile local films released like Once Were Warriors, but the vast majority of NZ films from this period were more or less being squeezed out of cinemas by American films (this isn't a go at American cinema, but just a simple statement of fact). Obviously the majority of the cast would do ads, TV shows like Shortland Street (a long-running soap opera set in a fictional hospital) and theatre, but so would the majority of the crew. Hercules and Xena provided a steady income and valuable major TV experience with huge exposure for a lot of the crew that worked on it.

Honestly, prior to Lord of the Rings, Sam Raimi did more for the NZ film industry than Peter Jackson did.