Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Fart Car '97 posted:

I think people miss the point that ELO systems are designed to balance over long spans of time/sample sizes and that minor things like leavers, griefers, smurfs, ect, affect everyone equally over a large enough sample size. There's not really incentive to try and make minor corrections for those things because they don't happen frequently enough to actually affect your overall ELO rating, and they happen just as frequently to everyone else.

Confirmation bias just makes people think it happens to them more than everyone else, or that it happens enough to actually have a serious effect on their rating.

The reality is as long as you play enough your rank is going to be very accurate.

I agree, but it would still feel better and perhaps lessen the sting when a person leaves and doesn't rejoin in the first round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
that'd be nice but the problem is that it is extremely exploitable and only benefits the people that quit playing shortly after doing their placements.

just play a lot of ranked games and stop looking at the emblem next to your name/avatar. it solves like 99% of the problems and helps you enjoy the single best thing in siege.

i've bounced around every level under plat this season spending a lot of time in each. bronze/silver are very stable and chill these past few weeks. 1/10 games have had toxic assholes in them unless you are very unlucky. remember the time of day you play has a big impact on things. friday nights are going to be a lot harder than weekdays.

when you play casual and have a huge win streak you will be facing people way above your skill level, often times literal diamonds. in ranked this doesn't happen nearly as often even if you win. and you won't see diamonds at all until you are probably ready for them.

you absolutely will encounter smurfs and griefers at some point no matter what you do (even Thunt). the funny thing is that they are way less common in ranked, especially if you solo que frequently.

ranked is generally just the least toxic of all your options ironically despite however earnest an upset player is that has less than 50 games but literally hundreds or thousands in casual will still try to say otherwise.

Thief fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 21, 2018

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What's the best operator to teamkill?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Castle

Edit: Wait, to kill or to kill as? Works either way really though

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

actually its doc because you can down them, say woops and heal them before killing them forreal

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The best op for team kills is anyone with a nitro cell as long as you also have a rook as a teammate.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Cav is good because if the dude is a total shithead you can leave them dbno which makes them extremely mad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mira because if you politely ask in advance to not reinforce next to me, because I'm going to put a mirror there, and then some cumstain reinforces there anyways then I feel like a teamkill is totally justifiable.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I like to troll randoms on ranked by picking finka, then using all 3 of her boosts immediately.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Weird how more people don't play Castle. Usually when I do see someone as him they shield barricade all doors to the objective and lie down in a corner camping. It's way more interesting to create kill corridors by blocking routes leading to the objective and roaming instead.

And if you're unlucky enough to end up with an objective room at top floor you can still barricade the windows and make enemy approach more difficult.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

jyrque posted:

Weird how more people don't play Castle. Usually when I do see someone as him they shield barricade all doors to the objective and lie down in a corner camping. It's way more interesting to create kill corridors by blocking routes leading to the objective and roaming instead.

And if you're unlucky enough to end up with an objective room at top floor you can still barricade the windows and make enemy approach more difficult.

yeah, i agree. he's really useful to soak utility that can otherwise be used to make vertical peeks or flanking rotation paths.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

gently caress, ranked is full of a lot of glitching cheaters right now.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I’ve never done ranked before so I did my 10 matches today but at the end it still said 1 more match to get your ranking. I played 1 more and it still said it so I played another one. It still hasn’t given me my ranking. Do I need to quit out and restart the game?

tjones
May 13, 2005

Daric posted:

I’ve never done ranked before so I did my 10 matches today but at the end it still said 1 more match to get your ranking. I played 1 more and it still said it so I played another one. It still hasn’t given me my ranking. Do I need to quit out and restart the game?

Ranked is still in beta.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Daric posted:

Just about everything in Siege never updates properly ingame for me so I usually have to restart to see ranked changes or challenge progress actually register. Failing that check the R6 stats site and see if it's updated you.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ELO is poo poo, it was designed for 1v1 chess matches and should never have been applied to competitive team FPSes.

Unless you play ranked for a living like a professional chess player would, your ELO will not balance out over time, and the slog to get it back to where you were before is terrible. It is not and has never reflected your skill.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 22, 2018

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

On the other hand, skilled players have no difficulty maintaining a high elo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

And unskilled players have no difficulty teaming up with skilled players to get boosted into platinum. What's your point? ELO is garbage.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah, and then they fall out of that elo and eventually need another boost. Elo is good.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I mean the ultimate issue with ELO in this context is that it makes no sense to have one ELO which is affected both by party queues and solo queues. A few games have a separate party ELO and solo ELO and that seems to work better, but a game like this you can have your rank dragged up or down by playing with friends who are better or worse than you, and then that skewed ELO will dump you into matches that you will ruin either by being totally poo poo or unassailably good. If you're someone who switches back between solo and party it will never even out and the matches you have will mostly be uneven and bad.

of course at the end of the day Siege is just a terrible game to have a ranked mode in anyway

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Kingfish posted:

Yeah, and then they fall out of that elo and eventually need another boost. Elo is good.

In what reality do you live where this is the case. As long as they don't play ranked without their friends, they will never fall out of that ELO. ELO is a dumpster fire.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

what usually happens is people boost their rank then only play casual once they feel they've peaked

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Which contributes to Casual tryharding, since they play Casual like it's Ranked.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
tbqh it's kind of poo poo to use the same ELO number regardless whether you're doing solo or going at it with a 5-stack. Ideally a stack should have its own ELO instead of the players, so you and your friends are collectively considered gold II or whatever against a stack of friends that are all also Gold II, even though every player's individual solo queue skill might be entirely different. Of course, the playerbase might be too low for this kind of granularity. You'll never be able to consistently team up with the 5 same dudes for your ranked matches unless you're in a dedicated clan and you all have tons of free time.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The playerbase is over 100k on Steam alone, it's not too low for that. But do you REALLY expect them to bother with it when Ranked is still in "beta" two and a half years after release?

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 22, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ranked is still the better gamemode to play. Just ignore the elo numbers.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The playerbase is over 100k on Steam alone, it's not too low for that. But do you REALLY expect them to bother with it when Ranked is still in "beta" two and a half years after release?

Has Ubi ever said why it’s still in beta? It’s crazy that it’s been this long.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ACValiant posted:

As a criticism shield, I suppose.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ACValiant posted:

They basically keep loving with it to satisfy some whim of proleague teams.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

More supposed leaks about the upcoming operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLYTYOrLoME

In short:

Maestro:
-Has one turret that he can put down and remote control
-It's controlled through his camera
-It's bulletproof when he's not currently controlling it
-The turret might not be shooting bullets, but have some other type of attack instead
-Has an actual LMG as his primary, despite being a defender

Alibi:
-Can put down hologram projectors wherever. If the enemy shoots the hologram, they get marked with an outline like the Lion scan does currently.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 22, 2018

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I hope the holograms are at least semi convincing otherwise nobody will shoot them.

Though if they cause the slightest hesitation that may be what gets you the drop on them too?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I hope the holograms are convincing, and naked.

Very distracting

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

all of them are calm.jpg

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The Bananana posted:

I hope the holograms are convincing, and naked.

Very distracting

if i cant do this irl im uninstalling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE8KlskLKzc

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Basticle posted:

if i cant do this irl im uninstalling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE8KlskLKzc

lmao more ops like this please

meanwhile tachanka 2 gets a legit defense LMG which is all i care about but i seriously hope that turret is non-lethal because holy poo poo sentry guns are annoying. i thought they specifically said they wanted to avoid poo poo like this but oh well

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thief posted:

lmao more ops like this please

meanwhile tachanka 2 gets a legit defense LMG which is all i care about but i seriously hope that turret is non-lethal because holy poo poo sentry guns are annoying. i thought they specifically said they wanted to avoid poo poo like this but oh well

It's not a senty gun, it's a remote controlled turret, according to the leak.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

will it shoot grzmots too?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

The leak made it sound more like a taser turret.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Infected posted:

The leak made it sound more like a taser turret.

Yeah I read the word “zap” somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Maybe it has a gun like like Shock Drone but bigger? Something like, semi-auto, 20 damage, can't headshot.