Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

I am aware of this but I wanted to take the gamble.

Am I an idiot? Yes.
e: though I will admit I was fine with pyscho pass and like season 2. Even though its crap.

Psycho-Pass S2 was by Tow Ubukata, not Urobuchi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Heaven's Feel part 1 is reshowing in my city for some reason this weekend so I finally got to see it and it was very good

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Watched the First Order movie. It was surprisingly good. If the game is the Time Squad style adventure that the movie promised I might have to pick it up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

astr0man posted:

Heaven's Feel part 1 is reshowing in my city for some reason this weekend so I finally got to see it and it was very good

It's cause MegaBox is doing this thing where they're reairing popular anime movies.

Love Live and SAO and AnoHana and other stuff are also airing.

I know this because I check MegaBox religiously.

http://www.megabox.co.kr/?menuId=event&p=detail&p2=5981

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Hate-Senpai posted:

It's cause MegaBox is doing this thing where they're reairing popular anime movies.

Oh that makes sense then. I just happened to notice that HF was on their front page when I was looking for the hakodate live announcement yesterday :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Watched the First Order movie. It was surprisingly good. If the game is the Time Squad style adventure that the movie promised I might have to pick it up.
The game is a timesquad style adventure and gets crazy good writing-wise as it goes on. Camelot, Babylonia, Shinjuku, and Lostbelt 1 are some of the best written stuff in the franchise.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

drat I'm tempted to watch the HF movie again

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Fate Grand Order's goofy events are the closest we're gonna get to a new Carnival Phantasm season.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If you start now they're running a Fate Zero collaboration event.

You get to watch Adult Waver (possessed by the servant powers of Zhuge Liang) sequence break the 4HGW like some kinda AGDQ Speed runner.

This includes yelling at his younger self a lot and telling him to choke on rice and die. :allears:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you start now they're running a Fate Zero collaboration event.

You get to watch Adult Waver (possessed by the servant powers of Zhuge Liang) sequence break the 4HGW like some kinda AGDQ Speed runner.

This includes yelling at his younger self a lot and telling him to choke on rice and die. :allears:

It's so fun! It reads like an indulgent fanfic, but by the actual author ragging on his own work

e: also nasu held a gun to urobuchi's head and forced him to write something lighthearted for once

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 20, 2018

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

UberJew posted:

It's so fun! It reads like an indulgent fanfic, but by the actual author ragging on his own work

e: also nasu held a gun to urobuchi's head and forced him to write something lighthearted for once

Nasu posted:

But during the plotting stage, even though I said, “Write something with a happy ending for once,” first he asked me, “Can’t I have this character kill this other character and end it there?” and he gave me a plot that was even darker than Fate/Zero. [laughs] I said, “What kind of festival do you think we’re making here?! Gen, you should believe more in dreams, aspirations, and the bonds between people!” and had him revise the whole thing.

Nasu is great. :allears:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
A plot darker than fate/zero. :byodame:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've never actually paid attention to Hollow Atraxia, what ending does it work off of?

It isn't, it's suffering against a merciless gacha.

That's basically what it is, yeah, featuring all your favorite characters (IE: Not Sieg) from past Fate installments, as well as plenty of new fun ones (like Marie Antoinette or Jalter or the heart-meltingly adorable Mash) as well as some not so good ones (Orion).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cuntellectual posted:

I've never actually paid attention to Hollow Atraxia, what ending does it work off of?
It's one of those cases where it could be any of them due to ~reasons~ and you're basically told to not think about it too much.

Also definitely give it a try, it's a ton of fun and develops most of the FSN cast in some new/better/interesting ways. I both regretted sitting on it for so long, but also not because I waited until there was a voice patch and that really did make a big difference IMO.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

All three of them. Rin screwed up an experiment involving the Second Magic (which, as you may recall, deals with parallel universes and alternate timelines), and it caused elements and outcomes of all three routes to blend together.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Hollow Atraxia also has a pretty cool little horror story to start it off.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

UberJew posted:

https://twitter.com/GrandShitpost/status/987336295616860161

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

It's one of those cases where it could be any of them due to ~reasons~ and you're basically told to not think about it too much.

Also definitely give it a try, it's a ton of fun and develops most of the FSN cast in some new/better/interesting ways. I both regretted sitting on it for so long, but also not because I waited until there was a voice patch and that really did make a big difference IMO.

W.T. Fits posted:

All three of them. Rin screwed up an experiment involving the Second Magic (which, as you may recall, deals with parallel universes and alternate timelines), and it caused elements and outcomes of all three routes to blend together.

I was just thinking about how I didn't really like how Fate/Heaven's Feel worked out for Saber but also didn't like UBW because it left Sakura with the short end of the stick, so HA sounds like my kinda deal.

Yeah I get too invested in anime characters, what subforum do you think this is

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Everyone gets the short end of the stick in at least one route.

Except for Rin I guess, who is okay in all 3.

And Lancer, who eats poo poo in all 3.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Except for Rin I guess, who is okay in all 3.

And Lancer, who eats poo poo in all 3.

As it should be.

Thinking about it I might be thinking of one of the bad endings but doesn't Sakura end up spending the rest of her life pining for Shirou in HF? Well, uh, at least things kinda work out in GO?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the normal end of HF is shirou dying of being swords and then sakura spends her life waiting to go to the cherry blossoms with him

the true end is much nicer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

As it should be.

Thinking about it I might be thinking of one of the bad endings but doesn't Sakura end up spending the rest of her life pining for Shirou in HF? Well, uh, at least things kinda work out in GO?
That's the normal end, which isn't the canon ending. The true ending is just Sakura, Shirou, Rin, and Medusa living together.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

I was just thinking about how I didn't really like how Fate/Heaven's Feel worked out for Saber but also didn't like UBW because it left Sakura with the short end of the stick, so HA sounds like my kinda deal.

Yeah I get too invested in anime characters, what subforum do you think this is

Yeah, definitely check out Hollow Ataraxia. About 90% of it is just watching almost the entire cast from Fate/Stay Night doing everyday slice of life stuff, like you see in Carnival Phantasm or Emiya Gohan, it's pretty drat great.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Though it's not as purely goofy as Carnival Phantasm. It has a more wistful bittersweet tone.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

The entire premise of f/z is that gen didn’t have to worry about a happy ending because Nasu already wrote it for him in f/sn! Nasu and Gen are close buds and love each other’s work! This really is a poo poo post!!

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Space Flower posted:

The entire premise of f/z is that gen didn’t have to worry about a happy ending because Nasu already wrote it for him in f/sn! Nasu and Gen are close buds and love each other’s work! This really is a poo poo post!!

The post was talking about the Fate Zero event in Grand Order, Nasu mentioned that Gen wanted to write an even darker story. And Nasu went “What kind of event do you think this is? You should believe in people more, write a happy ending.”

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So Type Moon aficionados. Were the dick worms in the pit an invention of Gen or were they pre-existing in the universe.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

So Type Moon aficionados. Were the dick worms in the pit an invention of Gen or were they pre-existing in the universe.

They were in the original VN. The remake that stripped out the H scenes also made them markedly less phallic.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Space Flower posted:

The entire premise of f/z is that gen didn’t have to worry about a happy ending because Nasu already wrote it for him in f/sn! Nasu and Gen are close buds and love each other’s work!

Oh I know. They play DnD together and everything! But...

Tribladeofchaos posted:

The post was talking about the Fate Zero event in Grand Order, Nasu mentioned that Gen wanted to write an even darker story. And Nasu went “What kind of event do you think this is? You should believe in people more, write a happy ending.”

Yeah this. And I think it's a funny image because I keep picturing Nasu as Gudako for some reason :v:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Ahhh. Well then bless nasu here

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Gen Urobuchi, in the Afterword to Fate/Zero volume 1 posted:

Gen Urobuchi wants to write stories that can warm people's hearts.
Those who know about my creative history will probably furrow their brows and think this is a sick joke. Honestly, I have trouble believing it myself. For when I start typing out words on the keyboard, the stories my brain comes up with are always full of madness and despair.
The truth is, I haven't always been this way. I have often written pieces that didn't have a perfect ending, but by the last chapter the protagonist would still possess a belief that "Although there will be many hardships to come, I still have to hold on".
But ever since I don't know when, I can no longer write works like this.
I have nothing but contempt for the thing men call happiness, and have had to push the characters I poured my heart out to create into the abyss of tragedy.
For all things in the world, if they are just left alone and paid no attention, are bound to advance in a negative direction.
No matter what we do, we can't stop the universe from getting colder, either, and on the same principle. This world is only maintained in existence by a series of logical, common-sense processes; it can never escape the bondage of its physical laws.
Therefore, in order to write a perfect ending for a story you must possess the power to break the chain of cause and effect, invert black and white, and act in complete contradiction to the rules of the universe. Only a heavenly and chaste soul, a soul that resounds with genuine praise for humanity, can save the story; to write a story with a happy ending is a double challenge, to the author's body as well as the mind.
At some point, Gen Urobuchi lost that power. He still hasn't recovered. The "tragedy syndrome" is still continuing within me. Is this a terminal disease? Should I give up on the pure "warrior of love" that I have longed for? Or mount a pallid battle steed and reincarnate into a bearer of the plague... could it be that I can only create pieces that give men courage and hope in my next life? (When I wrote this, I accidentally wrote "courage" as "lingering ghosts". I guess that's what I get for using IME — Ah, I just wrote "IME" as "hatred"... is there no way out of this for me?)

Nasu, in an interview about Grand Order and the Zero collab event posted:

But during the plotting stage, even though I said, “Write something with a happy ending for once,” first he asked me, “Can’t I have this character kill this other character and end it there?” and he gave me a plot that was even darker than Fate/Zero. [laughs] I said, “What kind of festival do you think we’re making here?! Gen, you should believe more in dreams, aspirations, and the bonds between people!” and had him revise the whole thing.

Nasu is the best. :allears:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Zero was really edgy, but I always felt like it kinda helped Gen work the edge out of his system a bit?

Also notice that hint about Madoka in that afterword. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Gen sounds a lot like Taro Yoko, who doesn't set out to write grim stories, just interesting ones!

Endorph posted:

That's the normal end, which isn't the canon ending. The true ending is just Sakura, Shirou, Rin, and Medusa living together.

I only got like half the endings for FSN. :effort:

Dr Pepper posted:

Though it's not as purely goofy as Carnival Phantasm. It has a more wistful bittersweet tone.

Oh no, wistful bittersweet is harder for me to take than grimdark. :ohdear:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
In Fate/Hollow Ataraxia you get to meet Bazett, the greatest character in all of fiction who looks cool when she puts on gloves and also she punches people.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It also has a great soundtrack (like every Type-Moon project except for the original Tsukihime)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zJBSNM77rQ

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Snooze Cruise posted:

In Fate/Hollow Ataraxia you get to meet Bazett, the greatest character in all of fiction who looks cool when she puts on gloves and also she punches people.

And sometimes she punches people with time reversing lasers! I want Bazett in FGO.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I want Bazett in real life and by that I mean I want to be Bazett in real life because she is cool and punches things and pretty.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

It also has a great soundtrack (like every Type-Moon project except for the original Tsukihime)

i'm gonna be totally honest, I've always kind of liked Tsukihime's soundtrack? there's none of the straight up GET loving HYPE stuff like Emiya or Mighty Wind or Light & Darkness but the soft, melancholy vibe the whole thing has works perfectly for the Far Side routes and still fits okay in the Near Side ones

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Snooze Cruise posted:

I want Bazett in real life and by that I mean I want to be Bazett in real life because she is cool and punches things and pretty.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I want bazett to punch me so hard my chest collapses in on itself