Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She did touch on Xena in her loose Canon video on Aphrodite. Seeing Karl Urban dressed up as a nineties punk Cupid was amazing and horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Basically every actor of Karl Urban's generation came up through Hercules/Xena and Shortland Street.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vagabundo posted:

Hercules and Xena was what more or less sustained the NZ film industry during he lean years of the 90s, which didn't really do much outside of a few big ones here and there - there were several high profile local films released like Once Were Warriors, but the vast majority of NZ films from this period were more or less being squeezed out of cinemas by American films (this isn't a go at American cinema, but just a simple statement of fact). Obviously the majority of the cast would do ads, TV shows like Shortland Street (a long-running soap opera set in a fictional hospital) and theatre, but so would the majority of the crew. Hercules and Xena provided a steady income and valuable major TV experience with huge exposure for a lot of the crew that worked on it.

Honestly, prior to Lord of the Rings, Sam Raimi did more for the NZ film industry than Peter Jackson did.

I guess it's difficult when you're competing with such a voluminous source of same-language cinema. Israeli cinema at least always had the advantage of being the only source of Hebrew-language film, while unlike Europe, dubbing movies that weren't for children has never been very common.

Arcsquad12 posted:

She did touch on Xena in her loose Canon video on Aphrodite. Seeing Karl Urban dressed up as a nineties punk Cupid was amazing and horrifying.

Yeah, I remember that one!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Failin Porte_Potty posted:

I guess I can just post silly jokes and updates to Phelan's output.

On the account that Phelan is alright with it, anyway.

you don't think, maybe, that it's weird to impersonate a random youtuber?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Gimmick posting is always weird, gimmick post a real person is just creepy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why is Moviebob taking five minutes out of his Apu video to define colloquialism and racism?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

OldTennisCourt posted:

Shin Godzilla is one of the best movies of the past 5 years tbh

:yeah:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why is Moviebob taking five minutes out of his Apu video to define colloquialism and racism?

Because the video was talking about how the white comedy writers tried to varying success and failures of actually addressing Apu, and the varying degrees of racism that'd come from it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

dunno and I don't wanna find out

nine-gear crow posted:

Thank you for your time.

YOU FOOL! you have banished our scapegoat! now we have no-one to blame when the thread turns to poo poo!

Anyway here's Sideways talking about the music in Transformers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCSpuZ4B7_o

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Failin Porte_Potty posted:

I guess I can just post silly jokes and updates to Phelan's output.

You reminded me to go back and watch a Phelan video I missed when you started posting, so I'd say you had a net positive effect on the threads.

Vagabundo posted:

Honestly, prior to Lord of the Rings, Sam Raimi did more for the NZ film industry than Peter Jackson did.

Plus they're still there, making Ash vs. the Evil Dead. PJ may come and go, but Raimi stands by his island.

I hope. No horror stories, right?

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Do people in New Zealand consider these big Hollywood productions as New Zealand films? Outside of the LotR/Peter Jackson films that is. I know in Australia very few people would consider The Matrix, X-Men or the last Pirates film as Australian.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Paladin posted:

Plus they're still there, making Ash vs. the Evil Dead. PJ may come and go, but Raimi stands by his island.

Were :eng99:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Wrageowrapper posted:

Do people in New Zealand consider these big Hollywood productions as New Zealand films? Outside of the LotR/Peter Jackson films that is. I know in Australia very few people would consider The Matrix, X-Men or the last Pirates film as Australian.

Not really, no. That said, there is acknowledgement that these major film productions coming to New Zealand does return investment into the film industry. For every Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 that comes here to do post-production or Alien: Covenant that shoots in the South Island means some of that money goes into the production of films like Hunt for the Wilderpeople or Whalerider.

SON OF A BITCH :negative:

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Oh god damnit.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Paladin posted:

Oh god damnit.
I'm going to be even more bummed when they cancel American Gods

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

achillesforever6 posted:

Maybe Gormenghast and/or The Peripheral will take its place. :geno:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

achillesforever6 posted:

Didn't they already more-or-less cancel American Gods due to financial issues?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

Didn't they already more-or-less cancel American Gods due to financial issues?

Sort of? It was more that a bunch of the key folks on it (cast and behind the scenes) started demanding much larger wages.

It's not officially cancelled yet though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Sort of? It was more that a bunch of the key folks on it (cast and behind the scenes) started demanding much larger wages.

It's not officially cancelled yet though.

That and Gillian Anderson told them all to gently caress off, she wasn't coming back for Season 2.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nine-gear crow posted:

That and Gillian Anderson told them all to gently caress off, she wasn't coming back for Season 2.

Oh, no, what did they do? :smith:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Honestly? No idea. But she said she's not coming back to American Gods or X-Files either. I think she just wants to go back to the UK and return to doing TV there, but X-Files in particular she's done with because was just a real crapshow this year and mishandled Scully's character so badly that it killed her interest in coming back for a third revival season next year, so Chris Carter was forced to say "okay, then the show's done for good now."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Bryan Fuller and Michael Green quit the show because Starz didn't want to give them even more money for the show (Fuller wanted 10 Million Dollars per episode). And seeing how American Gods was not a Game of Thrones draw, Starz basically told them gently caress no and so they left. Anderson basically signed for the show because of Fuller and decided to quit in solidarity.

Honestly Anderson's character at least makes it easy to recast (which they are by having a New Media replace her Old Media character)

Gaiman is still heavily involved so I don't think the show is going to go that far off the rails and it will still probably be really good even though Fuller is gone.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oh, I was worried they'd been poo poo to her specifically.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Do Bob Chipman's Apu videos offer any insight that wasn't already covered in the documentary, "The Problem with Apu?"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Conal Cochran posted:

Do Bob Chipman's videos offer any insight

no

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Conal Cochran posted:

Do Bob Chipman's Apu videos offer any insight that wasn't already covered in the documentary, "The Problem with Apu?"

No but wouldn't you rather have a white guy spend three monitized videos explaining the concept that a guy from the race involved already did?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Apparently some comedy news channel got removed from Youtube? Crimson Studios? Or Crimson Films? Strangely enough, googling either of the two will land you on very different companies.

https://twitter.com/Crimson_Films/status/987472588061360129

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Apparently some comedy news channel got removed from Youtube? Crimson Studios? Or Crimson Films? Strangely enough, googling either of the two will land you on very different companies.

https://twitter.com/Crimson_Films/status/987472588061360129

hosed up that they're called Crimson Studios but their main color brand seems to be a hideous ancap yellow.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I Before E posted:

hosed up that they're called Crimson Studios but their main color brand seems to be a hideous ancap yellow.

They're just all over the place.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

quote:

This account has been terminated due to multiple or severe violations of YouTube's policy against spam, deceptive practices, and misleading content or other Terms of Service violations.

I'm curious to see what happens here, but it seems like a risky move to counteract being terminated for spamming by telling your followers to spam YouTube's Twitter account to have it put back up. I guess that has a history of working, though. We'll have to see how it goes. What was this channel prior to their takedown?

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 22, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ricdesi posted:

I'm curious to see what happens here, but it seems like a risky move to counteract being terminated for spamming by telling your followers to spam YouTube's Twitter account to have it put back up. I guess that has a history of working, though. We'll have to see how it goes. What was this channel prior to their takedown?

I have no idea, it somehow found its way into my timeline.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Spoony’s alive. He tweeted. Is mentioning Spoony kosher?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Unless he's actually released a video or something I don't care.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alacron posted:

Unless he's actually released a video or something I don't care.

I think the general inference is that he's going to be making videos again.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

VanSandman posted:

Spoony’s alive. He tweeted. Is mentioning Spoony kosher?

You mean you found a Spoony account that wasn't a parody account? That is news.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I AM SO HAPPY

Have a video from one of my fav YouTube duded to celebrate BOTL being told to gently caress off forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvDGBIkJaqQ

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 22, 2018

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Guru Larry posted another dumb game cancellations video. I'm phone posting so I can't link it but it's a fun watch as per usual. He doesn't make any Channel Awesome jokes sadly

Vagabundo posted:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Everyone should watch this btw, it's a phenomenal comedy and Julian Dennison is such a talented kid.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Testekill posted:

Guru Larry posted another dumb game cancellations video. I'm phone posting so I can't link it but it's a fun watch as per usual. He doesn't make any Channel Awesome jokes sadly

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9K3bjziMiI

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Conal Cochran posted:

He talks about Lisa for a bit in the first video. Lisa breaking the 4th wall was obviously a development that happened after the documentary. Plenty of thinkpieces already acknowledged Lisa's dual role as the writers' self-insert and her being the conscience of the family, which obviously exacerbated the problem. Nothing too insightful from Bob.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
New Jenny Nicholson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRD-CX9Uzwo