Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Alpha Mayo posted:

Is it worth paying extra for X470 boards? Plan on upgrading my i5 2500K to Ryzen 2700X next month but X470 is pretty pricey (looks like they start around $180 at Microcenter).

Do you or someone you know have a first gen Ryzen around anywhere to flash an old board to the latest firmware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Alpha Mayo posted:

Is it worth paying extra for X470 boards?

Only if you need features not available on older boards. As long as it has an up to date BIOS a B350 board should be fine if it otherwise meets your requirements.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
What is StoreMI? Is that kind of like Intel SRT (SSD/RAM caching for HDD)? I use PrimoCache so I am kind of interested in that technology, though PrimoCache does it pretty well.

I thought X470 supported higher clockrates with XFR2 or something, did that turn out to be true? I also just found out B450 is due soon so maybe that will be out by the time I upgrade.

I don't have any old Ryzen CPUs for flashing the BIOS. That might be an obstacle for me with B350.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
XFR2 is built into the chip. All X370 has is Precision Boost Overdrive, which is just a Multi Core Enhancement style “auto OC” feature for running outside of spec. It’s entirely unnecessary.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

StoreMI Is just fakeraid storage tiering, yeah.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

The 16 phase VRM X470 boards are probably good for more than XFR2 is

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

StoreMI Is just fakeraid storage tiering, yeah.

Wouldn't be surprised if we saw that tech show up in the next console generation, with a tiny SSD as cache.
If it works without breaking stuff it's not bad for the low end.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sauer kraut posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if we saw that tech show up in the next console generation, with a tiny SSD as cache.
If it works without breaking stuff it's not bad for the low end.

With the PS4 at least, I thought switching to SSD didn’t make much difference in game startup or performance (10% or so on startup, IIRC). Do you expect architectural changes in the next generation to change how I/O speed affects system performance?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

With the PS4 at least, I thought switching to SSD didn’t make much difference in game startup or performance (10% or so on startup, IIRC). Do you expect architectural changes in the next generation to change how I/O speed affects system performance?

The base PS4 only had a SATA2 interface so SSDs were mostly wasted on it, but the PS4 Pro upgraded the interface to SATA3 and benefits a lot more.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/PS4-Pro-SSD-Upgrade-Does-SATA-III-Make-Difference/Testing-Methodology-Results

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The base PS4 only having SATA2 support despite coming out many years after SATA3 was standard is weird, but I guess it's totally in line with the PS3 fuckery they did where hard drive speed was limited to a very low rate due to running it all through a hardware encryption chip that couldn't do more than ~90 megabit per second reads.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sony loves doing weird poo poo with their hardware.

Fun fact: the HDMI output on the base PS4s GPU isn't connected to anything, instead they run the DisplayPort output to an external DisplayPort->HDMI encoder chip. For... reasons?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

Sony loves doing weird poo poo with their hardware.

Fun fact: the HDMI output on the base PS4s GPU isn't connected to anything, instead they run the DisplayPort output to an external DisplayPort->HDMI encoder chip. For... reasons?

probably they support higher version / specific HDMI features that way. like how they added HDR to existing consoles via firmware update, while MS had to put out new boxes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Craptacular! posted:

Do you or someone you know have a first gen Ryzen around anywhere to flash an old board to the latest firmware?

Alpha Mayo posted:

I don't have any old Ryzen CPUs for flashing the BIOS. That might be an obstacle for me with B350.

AMD will send you a free loaner "boot kit", which is a very old/weak Bristol Ridge APU that is supported on all the firmware revisions. So even this isn't a hard roadblock, it'll just take an extra week to ship to you.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 22, 2018

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Still think AMD needs some SKUs below 99$. Like, loving firesale the Bristol Ridge poo poo AMD, or get more Raven Ridge SKUs out. A 4C/4T, 6CU part and 4C/4T, 4CU part for 79$ and 59$ respectively, heck even the A12-9800 is worth it if it's only 50$.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think after Kabini Sempys turned out to be totally unnecessary, they are hesitant to dive back into uber cheap CPU designs.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

I think after Kabini Sempys turned out to be totally unnecessary, they are hesitant to dive back into uber cheap CPU designs.

I am biased, I had endless love for AM1 for building insanely cheap computers, but I don't think they need to go that low, just Intel has a totally untouched market with the Pentiums and Celerons, I just don't see the reason not to compete there.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Alpha Mayo posted:

Is it worth paying extra for X470 boards? Plan on upgrading my i5 2500K to Ryzen 2700X next month but X470 is pretty pricey (looks like they start around $180 at Microcenter).

Doesn't look like it - I'm waiting for a consensus on memory speeds for them both, but otherwise no.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The only wildcard IMO is whether XFR2 is still maxed out on the lesser VRMs of the B-boards.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Alpha Mayo posted:

X370 vs X470 chipset differences

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any chance of getting X470 boards with thunderbolt support? It's basically the only thing stopping me from getting a 2700x, and I know X399 boards have thunderbolt so it's not impossible on the AMD side.

The final comparison I'd love to see is the highest end, 8700K@5.2 with 4000MHz+ RAM vs 2700x@4.4GHz with 3600MHz+ (whatever the max that is 24/7 possible) in CPU bound scenarios like open world games and huge WoW instances.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BurritoJustice posted:

Is there any chance of getting X470 boards with thunderbolt support? It's basically the only thing stopping me from getting a 2700x, and I know X399 boards have thunderbolt so it's not impossible on the AMD side.

The final comparison I'd love to see is the highest end, 8700K@5.2 with 4000MHz+ RAM vs 2700x@4.4GHz with 3600MHz+ (whatever the max that is 24/7 possible) in CPU bound scenarios like open world games and huge WoW instances.

Effectively, reviewers are testing maxed-out 2700Xs against stock 8700Ks. XFR2 pretty much extracts all the overclocking headroom right out of the box... which is good for lazy users who wouldn't otherwise bother with fiddling in the BIOS, but there is easily another 15-20% there on 8700Ks even above MCE speeds. Games still do care about clockrates, even if Ryzen has caught up on latency/etc.

It's like GPU Boost 3.0 on the 1070... it sucked up all the OC headroom, which looked really good against a reference 980 Ti that wasn't bothering to use its 30% OC headroom.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Palladium posted:

The only wildcard IMO is whether XFR2 is still maxed out on the lesser VRMs of the B-boards.

or more likely, whether they'll be happy doing so long-term. as buildzoid observes about MSI's kinda crappy power components, they absolutely can deliver 200w sustained -- they just put out a lot of waste heat doing so because MSI tends to use inefficient components. and then that heat puts stress on the vrms and caps around them and kills stuff early.

if pairing a B450 with a 2700X make sure you get a higher-quality one, not a cheapo.

(or just get a 370, I bet a lot of the ones in the chain at places like newegg that move stock will work OTB)

Paul MaudDib posted:

Effectively, reviewers are testing maxed-out 2700Xs against stock 8700Ks.

much as I'd like to disagree with PMD, if all you care about is video game performance and you're planning to spend 8700K money either way, the 8700K is at least as good at stock speed. then it has OC space above that. I doubt video games are going to care about 6 vs 8 cores soon enough for that to matter.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

About StoreMI, Wendell at Level1Techs made a video about how it differs from normal SSD cache stuff. He sounds quite enthusiastic about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbl2dYgjMQ4

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 22, 2018

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Has AMD made any statements about their eventual Zen2 (Ryzen 3rd-gen) being compatible with X470? I am actually leaning towards X470 right now just for the better power delivery alone, and with the Microcenter $50 bundle discount, $130 is typically what I spend on a mobo anyway. But if X470 is Zen2-compatible, then I'd rather go for a 2600X now and put that $100 towards a new CPU 2 years down the line, I am usually a "buy $200 now, upgrade with $200 in 2 years" rather than "$400 now" kind of guy.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alpha Mayo posted:

Has AMD made any statements about their eventual Zen2 (Ryzen 3rd-gen) being compatible with X470?

AMD has said their goal is that all AM4 processors will work in all AM4 sockets, and that AM4 will be in use until 2020 and Zen 3

(goals are not guarantees, but so far so good)

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
That makes my CPU choice harder. If I go with 2700X I can literally double my cores and quadruple my threads from 2500K.
I mean I'd probably be happy with 2600X but the doubling aspect just sounds really cool. I've never bought a CPU that cost more than $200, before the 2500K my favorite CPU was the E2160 because that poo poo did a 50% overclock and was amazing value for its time too. I am an extreme cheapass and always like those best-value components.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wouldn’t bet on Asus etc actually releasing BIOS updates for boards after two generations per platform, for the same “what have you done for me lately” reasons that Android manufacturers stop supporting OS releases at an early point. But I would bet $5 on X470 supporting Zen2

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'm curious how well a 2700X can undervolt at let's say 4GHz because 150W stock is too much for me but I'm sure I won't be able to find out when everyone is gonna YOLO their chips because OCing street creds

Palladium fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 22, 2018

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Drakhoran posted:

About StoreMI, Wendell at Level1Techs made a video about how it differs from normal SSD cache stuff. He sounds quite enthusiastic about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbl2dYgjMQ4

Everyone with a Zen CPU can get that software at a great price right now: http://www.enmotus.com/amd
20 bucks for the version that is bundled and 60 for a version that allows 1tb fast tier storage.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Craptacular! posted:

I wouldn’t bet on Asus etc actually releasing BIOS updates for boards after two generations per platform, for the same “what have you done for me lately” reasons that Android manufacturers stop supporting OS releases at an early point. But I would bet $5 on X470 supporting Zen2

could be, but I figure the competition aspect will keep them more honest. if one guy doesn't and the other does, the people with boards that aren't getting updates will be mad.

phone makers get away with it because most people have zero idea what is in their phone

Palladium posted:

I'm curious how well a 2700X can undervolt at let's say 4GHz because 150W stock is too much for me but I'm sure I won't be able to find out when everyone is gonna YOLO their chips because OCing street creds

Ryzen 1 was pretty fantastic at maintaining performance while underclocked. I think it was the previous thread but there were some results of testing that. (That was one of the things that tilted me towards buying one.)

AMD's GPU drivers have some really nice power management abilities, including the ability to simply set lower targets for the power management system. Drag the slider to -25% power and tell the chip figure it out for itself. Would be cool if they could add that into Ryzen Master.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Palladium posted:

Gamers Nexus posted:

To this end, we found that, at a given frequency of 4.0GHz, our R7 2700X held stable at 1.175V input at LLC level 4, which equated to 1.162V VCore at SVI2 TFN. The result was stability in Blender and Prime95 with torturous FFTs, while measuring at about 129W power consumption in Blender. For this same test, our 1700 at 4.0GHz required a 1.425V input at LLC level 5, yielding a 1.425VCore, a 201W power draw – so 70W higher – and pushed thermals to 79 degrees Tdie. That’s up from 57.8 degrees Tdie at the same ambient.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Palladium posted:

Gamersnexus has found that Ryzen 2 undervolts VERY well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A2yatfyLoo

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3287-amd-r7-2700-and-2700x-review-game-streaming-cpu-benchmarks-memory

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Niiiice, one less obstacle to persuade my friend out of his 2500K.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I really, REALLY hope that at least one of the new Ryzen ThinkPads will have dual channel memory configs available.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This StoreMI stuff sounds interesting in regards to getting a bit more from SATA SSDs. Some "cheap" 64GB or 128GB Optane module as fast tier to a large SATA SSD. Optane is way faster at low/single threaded random 4K.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I wonder if the power floor is as low as the 1700's 35w 3.0ghz. I figure you can't get much lower than that due to memory controller/etc but you can probably get a couple hundred more mhz out of the same 35w if it does undervolt that well.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Hm, I guess there is a reason for not clocking higher. Apparently die sizes are exactly the same, which indicates Pinnacle only gets optical improvements, it's not actually using improved design libraries probably for drop in compatibility for TR and EPYC; I can see Pinnacle EPYCs being very in demand. Might mean Raven Ridge will hit higher clocks as well since it'll never be an MCM design and therefore doesn't have to be concerned about it.

Lul that it's 2018 though and now, finally GloFo has a reasonable 14nm design. Maybe this'll fix the Polaris and Vega power issues for the refresh this year, like Polaris 10 @ 1450-1550Mhz @ 1.1v might consume 130W instead of 185-205W. Holy poo poo if GloFo has been that much of an Albatross.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

This bodes extremely well for the next consoles in 2-3 years too.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's like GPU Boost 3.0 on the 1070... it sucked up all the OC headroom, which looked really good against a reference 980 Ti that wasn't bothering to use its 30% OC headroom.
1070 still has a lot of OC wiggle room. Mostly through the RAM. It's just like the 2700x actually, where you can get big gains ocing RAM but you won't really get anything from ocing the CPU.

My 1070's RAM is stable for compute and everything at +580, it's good enough for gaming in most games at +820ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Stanley Pain posted:

I really, REALLY hope that at least one of the new Ryzen ThinkPads will have dual channel memory configs available.

The E485 and E585 were just listed - I haven't looked into the older ones they're based off of to see if they have an open DIM.