Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I spent several thousand dollars on hundreds of colorful tropical fish, and tens of thousands more on an automated feeder system to train each color to of fish to respond to different auditory signals, not to mention several months developing a conversion algorithm to turn video into the auditory signals for the fish.

Was it worth it? Verdict is still out. The pixel refresh rate isn't excellent, if I'm honest, and I'm concerned about the longevity of the unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Also Woot has the 55" B series refurbed for $1099 (Prime shipping included for Amazon folk):

https://www.woot.com/offers/lg-55-oled-4k-120-hz-tv?ref=w_cnt_gw_dly_img

Somebody talk me out of buying this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
And now, for something entirely expected: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/sharp-launches-its-first-70inch-tv-with-8k-panel-lv-70x500e.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Holy poo poo... Guru3D is still around???

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

I have spent plenty of money on things I actively hate(d). It’s silly to say that if it’s expensive it must be confirmation bias. Just like it’s silly to think something may not be worth it because you can’t/won’t/shouldn’t pay the asking price.

Sure, everyone just comes at it from their own perspective and suffers from confirmation bias in some form or another. I love my OLED but like you I wanted the best image quality possible. My brother loves his Insignia TV and is convinced spending anymore is pointless. Just a matter of perspectives. Of course he still comes over to my place to watch sports and movies haha.

quote:

The second would be playback of 8K content, you'll likely need an awesome media player or HTPC to be able to do that. And thirdly, connection. To be able to get towards 7680x4320 pixels this TV needs to bundle four HDMI 2.0 connections for supplying enough bandwidth at 8K/60Hz

Pretty hilarious drawbacks but I guess someone had to be first.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 21, 2018

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

How much of a real world problem is burn-in on the OLED tvs? My office TV broke and I really wanted one but that stopped me, so I just got a new cheap panel instead. Especially since it usually is on CNN or Bloomberg with all the fixed ticker banners and stuff.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Droo posted:

How much of a real world problem is burn-in on the OLED tvs? My office TV broke and I really wanted one but that stopped me, so I just got a new cheap panel instead. Especially since it usually is on CNN or Bloomberg with all the fixed ticker banners and stuff.

It is a real problem for that kind of viewing activity so you made the right choice. Definitely don't get an OLED for "background" style viewing.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
If your office has at least moderate illumination all the time then the vaunted infinite OLED contrast ratio is gonna be wasted anyway

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Gunslinger posted:

Pretty hilarious drawbacks but I guess someone had to be first.

And the drawbacks of being like $15000 or something, and not being able to tell the difference if you're not 8 inches from the TV lol

edit: I feel like now that we have 4K HDR OLED, the only way for the TV industry to go any further is to groom morons into an "audiophile" belief system where people think they can really "feel" the pixels if they go to 8k or 16k at couch distance. You know, like how an audiophile's ears are superior to the plebs and diminishing returns don't apply to them.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 21, 2018

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Zero VGS posted:

My mom is asking me to sell it on Craigslist because it's "too big" for the living room though.

Also a great thread title.

I'm going to get around to getting an OLED at some point, but it's tough to justify when my old 42" panasonic plasma works fine and I can just shovel more money into retirement accounts. :effort:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Conversely, what's the use of having an awesome TV when you're older after your eyesight starts to go. :haw:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

It is a real problem for that kind of viewing activity so you made the right choice. Definitely don't get an OLED for "background" style viewing.

While image retention is real issue I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the automatic brightness limiter (ABL).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9OvPfPd8s0&t=276s

In short, if all the pixels in an OLED are near full white it draws a lot of power and overheats. So, once the screen reaches a certain threshold it automatically cuts the brightness to prevent overheating. Apparently it rarely happens with movies but it's more noticeable with video games. My current Sony TV had some sort of default power saving mode that would fuss with the brightness in a similar fashion and it drove me crazy until I found it deep in an obscure menu and turned it off. If all OLEDs do this then it's a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In 20 months of ownership I've never once seen ABL kick in on my C6.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I don't notice abl in my c7 either.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Well that's encouraging. Either of you play a lot of games or do you mostly watch movies and TV? I saw a lot of complaints about about screen brightness while playing games on the 2017 LG OLEDs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've been playing Nier on my PC hooked to my B7. No brightness issues at all.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

McCracAttack posted:

Well that's encouraging. Either of you play a lot of games or do you mostly watch movies and TV? I saw a lot of complaints about about screen brightness while playing games on the 2017 LG OLEDs.

I do a ton of gaming on my B7 and no issues with ABL. My only real complaint with my B7 is the vertical banding I can sometimes see on gray, its a uniformity thing that you can't unsee once you know its there. Every TV has some sort of quirk though and its pretty stellar other than that.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bull3964 posted:

Conversely, what's the use of having an awesome TV when you're older after your eyesight starts to go. :haw:

Conversely, what's the use of having an awesome sound system when you're older after your hearing starts to go. :haw:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Palladium posted:

Conversely, what's the use of having an awesome sound system when you're older after your hearing starts to go. :haw:

You can turn it up until you hear it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Only if you live in a house or hate your neighbors.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GreenNight posted:

Only if you live in a house or hate your neighbors.

Where else would one live? A cardboard box under the bridge?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's one reason I haven't sold my house and gotten an apartment. I like my movies loud.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

And the drawbacks of being like $15000 or something, and not being able to tell the difference if you're not 8 inches from the TV lol

edit: I feel like now that we have 4K HDR OLED, the only way for the TV industry to go any further is to groom morons into an "audiophile" belief system where people think they can really "feel" the pixels if they go to 8k or 16k at couch distance. You know, like how an audiophile's ears are superior to the plebs and diminishing returns don't apply to them.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/first-u-s-led-cinema-screen-now-running/

Convert an entire wall of your livingroom into a TV screen :pcgaming:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Not acoustically transparent, what am I supposed to do with my RTI Noesis speakers?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

I always did wonder about that... LEDs... even tons of them, are dirt cheap, right? There's those giant billboards and stadium jumbotrons that are made out of RGB LED arrays too... at what point/size would it become affordable to make a giant TV, like 100-inch or something, out of surface-mount tiny LEDs instead of LCD/OLED?

Edit: Oh, apparently it's an emerging thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroLED

https://www.thestar.com.my/tech/tech-news/2018/01/10/samsung-presents-146in-modular-microled-tv-at-ces-2018/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 25, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Density is the main issue. Right now MicroLED is only viable at the sizes they showed it at for the standard resolutions. It's not currently possible to fit the LEDs closer together to, for example, get 4k at 75" sizes.

146" is currently the smallest they can make a 4k display.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 25, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
At the kind of price range that's going to end up at, you're looking at super high-end projector cost anyway. Hell, a short-throw Sony 4k projector is "only" $25k or so.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

At the kind of price range that's going to end up at, you're looking at super high-end projector cost anyway. Hell, a short-throw Sony 4k projector is "only" $25k or so.

Dell actually has a 4K HDR 5000-lumen short throw laser projector for $5000 and I've seen it come with $500 gift card: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-advanced-4k-laser-projector-s718ql/apd/210-amtg/projectors-projector-accessories/overview

It has input lag and rainbow effect but it's still far and away the best value for the specs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdiP-b0jfHc

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm working on an event space/gallery design and the client wanted us to price up using LED walls instead of projectors. The projector option came out to 750k - we got half way through the maths on the cheapest LED option and went '...nah'
The LED option was nowhere near as dense as the projector route too.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I feel like I just cannot get my C7 OLED to look good for HDR gaming. I keep on messing with settings playing Assassin's Creed: Origins on a PS4 pro and just recently played a bit of Horizon, where night was so dark as to be almost unplayable.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Radioactive Toy posted:

I feel like I just cannot get my C7 OLED to look good for HDR gaming. I keep on messing with settings playing Assassin's Creed: Origins on a PS4 pro and just recently played a bit of Horizon, where night was so dark as to be almost unplayable.
Might be you're playing with Limited RGB instead of Full RGB. There's a setting for that in both your TV and console settings. I use:

* PS4: Automatic
* TV (Panasonic): Full (because Automatic never works)

Only issue is you have to keep swapping between Full and Limited when you wanna watch TV or movies on your PS4.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Radioactive Toy posted:

Horizon has an HDR brightness slider you need to crank to the max for HDR.

ufarn posted:

Might be you're playing with Limited RGB instead of Full RGB. There's a setting for that in both your TV and console settings. I use:

* PS4: Automatic
* TV (Panasonic): Full (because Automatic never works)

Only issue is you have to keep swapping between Full and Limited when you wanna watch TV or movies on your PS4.

There is no reason to use Full RGB unless you are hooking a PC up to it. Leave everything on low or limited. Everything on your ps4 is mastered with limited RGB.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Kind of cross posting from the post production thread. Have a friend with a $4,000 budget that needs a small color grading monitor (we're going EIZO or FSI) but also wants a 40"-42" TV for a client monitor. So what would be the best TV in that size, around $1200-1500-ish. 4K and color quality are the most important factors.

And budget could be upped if needed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Does it need to be a TV? Philips just announced an HDR 43" monitor yesterday that looks like it should fit every other aspect.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/04/philips-launches-a-43-inch-hdr-monitor-that-reaches-1000-nits-of-brightness/

Though, it is an 8 bit panel with 2 bit dithering, still though it hits 97.6% of DCI-P3.

One big issue is there really aren't any quality TVs in that size range. 49" is the minimum size for a quality tv (X900E/F).

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 26, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Does it need to be a TV? Philips just announced an HDR 43" monitor yesterday that looks like it should fit every other aspect.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/04/philips-launches-a-43-inch-hdr-monitor-that-reaches-1000-nits-of-brightness/

Though, it is an 8 bit panel with 2 bit dithering, still though it hits 97.6% of DCI-P3.

Nope and that looks great! I'll wait for some reviews to see how color reproduction looks. Also I love the Ambiglow. I want that poo poo on my tv (without building my own). That could be fun for client monitors.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

The TCL 6-series seems to be rolling out today: they're available for order on Amazon and Best Buy, and I think the review embargo lifts today.

I'm trying to decide between the 55" TCL 6-series at $650, the 65" TCL 6-series at $1000, or the 55" Sony X900E at $1000 and waiting to see what the reviews of the 6-series look like.

edit: Amazon has already sold out of both sizes.There's a review up at AVSForum.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 26, 2018

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Don Lapre posted:

This has been my experience with all HDR games whenever I turn on game mode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Parker Lewis posted:

The TCL 6-series seems to be rolling out today: they're available for order on Amazon and Best Buy, and I think the review embargo lifts today.

I'm trying to decide between the 55" TCL 6-series at $650, the 65" TCL 6-series at $1000, or the 55" Sony X900E at $1000 and waiting to see what the reviews of the 6-series look like.

edit: Amazon has already sold out of both sizes.

Buying the 6 series on Amazon always seemed to be the poor bet since it's almost always
cheaper and more plentiful at Best Buy.

Here's the decision maker for 6 series vs X900E/F. Motion.

If you are going to stick with native sources (Netflix/Amazon/Vudu/Hulu/Blu-ray@24fps and gaming at 30/60 fps) save money and buy the TCL.

If you have to deal with 24fps material crammed in 30hz or 60hz streams (such as OTT live TV from DTNow, YouTube TV, etc. and provider streaming apps like FX Now), the X900 is going to give the better experience.

The 6 series seems to be a great display, it just doesn't have a motion engine to speak of.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

There is no reason to use Full RGB unless you are hooking a PC up to it. Leave everything on low or limited. Everything on your ps4 is mastered with limited RGB.
In theory, yes, but tell that to my pitch-black calibrated Panasonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

bull3964 posted:

Buying the 6 series on Amazon always seemed to be the poor bet since it's almost always
cheaper and more plentiful at Best Buy.

Here's the decision maker for 6 series vs X900E/F. Motion.

If you are going to stick with native sources (Netflix/Amazon/Vudu/Hulu/Blu-ray@24fps and gaming at 30/60 fps) save money and buy the TCL.

If you have to deal with 24fps material crammed in 30hz or 60hz streams (such as OTT live TV from DTNow, YouTube TV, etc. and provider streaming apps like FX Now), the X900 is going to give the better experience.

The 6 series seems to be a great display, it just doesn't have a motion engine to speak of.

I have a 1080p Sony projector for 24p movie/TV content but I don’t really like gaming on a 110” screen so I still use an old 54” plasma for my consoles and PC couch gaming. I’d be using the TV exclusively for gaming and HDR/4K are the selling points for me. 60Hz panel is no problem for me as I’d be running all my consoles/PC at 60Hz anyway.

I don’t think I need motion engine at all and TCL seems to have the better input lag so I'm leaning towards the 65" TCL at the same price of the 55" Sony.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 26, 2018