Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
If next episode Avasarala tosses Holden out of an airlock and takes over the Roci I would be more than ok with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Grognan posted:

Chrisjen is a loving beast

She sure is. Best character and best actress too

But I do like most of the cast, they are mostly great. And that's why Holden stands out so much

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bloom posted:

If next episode Avasarala tosses Holden out of an airlock and takes over the Roci I would be more than ok with it.

She’ll also stare Amos straight in the eyes and go, “I loving double-dog dare you”.

And Amos backs down.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Proteus Jones posted:

Wasn’t it Chrisjen that froze all the assets last season? Errinwright is just an opportunist using it as leverage now.

Chrisjen is his deputy.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I honestly don't get the sheer murder-fantasy hated some people have for Holden. Yes, he's annoying, but that's his character, and I think his actor is doing a really good job portraying someone whose parents might as well have named him after the Catcher in the Rye character, for all his irritating ideological and behavioral tendencies.

I mean, we pretty much wouldn't have the series without his character doing what he did, it'd just be following a crooked cop traveling to a dead end asteroid, where he died, then said asteroid flew into Earth, killing everyone on the planet, and Mars throws a party while the Belters realize they can't even play Mars off of Earth anymore, so they're just straight up slaves to the rusters now.

I guess Bobby could look sad because she's never going to get her war, but at least she didn't get betrayed and lose her friends, so she'll get over it while brutalizing Belters?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I appreciate that this thread seems to have overwhelming negative opinions of every character and performance except Drummer, I guess?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I appreciate that this thread seems to have overwhelming negative opinions of every character and performance except Drummer, I guess?

I dunno, I just said that I think Christjen is fantastic and most of the cast is good and Holden stands out because he is so bad

Also I don't think I ever got why everyone here think Drummer is so great, to me she was just a minor character I barely noticed

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My exposure to Elizabeth Mitchell isn't the best, but IMO it's the first time I see her in a role where she feels natural. Everything before, there was always some weird vibe to her act.

Also, the gratuitous cussing generally helps the natural feel. I loved the bit with Mao. "...motherfucker!"

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Weren't seasons 3 & 4 filmed concurrently? So even if there is a soft cancellation we still have more episodes? I have no idea if this was a fever dream of mine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

My exposure to Elizabeth Mitchell isn't the best, but IMO it's the first time I see her in a role where she feels natural. Everything before, there was always some weird vibe to her act.

Also, the gratuitous cussing generally helps the natural feel. I loved the bit with Mao. "...motherfucker!"

God drat now that I think about it... It’s like her default is “I know something really cool, that you would find cool too”, and then she smugly won’t tell you because you just aren’t cool enough.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

ZorajitZorajit posted:

As far as I can tell the only character to get any real hate is Holden. Who sucks and is terrible, making said hate entirely justified.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Combat Pretzel posted:

She was ok in LOST

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Proteus Jones posted:

Wasn’t it Chrisjen that froze all the assets last season? Errinwright is just an opportunist using it as leverage now.

Personally, I wouldn’t classify those two as “political” enemies. I’d say that Mao and Errinwright are *enemy* enemies now. Errinwright needs Mao to go away, and Mao needs to bury Errinwright. I would imagine there enmity is complicated due to how unsure each is in what (incontrovertible) dirt the other has.

Is it kinda funny that in that contest I'm actually rooting for Mao? He's a total shithead but Errinwright is such a smug weasel that I can't help but root for anyone against him.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is it kinda funny that in that contest I'm actually rooting for Mao? He's a total shithead but Errinwright is such a smug weasel that I can't help but root for anyone against him.

Errinwright destroyed space murals

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Mao is more openly a bad guy. Most times we see Errinwright he's playing politics so of course he comes across as a two-faced son of a bitch.

Easier to respect someone who's at least honest about being a terrible person.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

etalian posted:

lol Which episode was this? I definitely must have missed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol Which episode was this? I definitely must have missed.

Mao's ship had pretty paintins on it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

:doh:

I thought there might have been a point where he was effacing public art and I was wondering if he was referencing something from the book.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

etalian posted:

So did Holden.

https://giant.gfycat.com/PiercingFearlessAnteater.mp4

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Mao is his partner in crime, not a political rival.

whynotboth.gif

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Aw sheeit, it just hit me.

Christjen just went through the same sort of torture, unto the point of death, that she inflicted on that Belter in the first episode. She got to experience almost exactly what he did when he sabotaged his G-juice feed to commit suicide, too.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I honestly don't get the sheer murder-fantasy hated some people have for Holden. Yes, he's annoying, but that's his character, and I think his actor is doing a really good job portraying someone whose parents might as well have named him after the Catcher in the Rye character, for all his irritating ideological and behavioral tendencies.

I mean, we pretty much wouldn't have the series without his character doing what he did, it'd just be following a crooked cop traveling to a dead end asteroid, where he died, then said asteroid flew into Earth, killing everyone on the planet, and Mars throws a party while the Belters realize they can't even play Mars off of Earth anymore, so they're just straight up slaves to the rusters now.

I think the show just hasn't progressed far enough for all fans to realize that every person in power thinks Holden is at best a naive do-gooder idiot, but the good news is that Chrisjen has just come aboard the ship.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ekeog posted:

I think the show just hasn't progressed far enough for all fans to realize that every person in power thinks Holden is at best a naive do-gooder idiot, but the good news is that Chrisjen has just come aboard the ship.

It was great when he got dunked on at Tycho station.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Aw sheeit, it just hit me.

Christjen just went through the same sort of torture, unto the point of death, that she inflicted on that Belter in the first episode. She got to experience almost exactly what he did when he sabotaged his G-juice feed to commit suicide, too.

:psyboom:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
holden does his job of forcibly moving the crew of the roci plant to wherever advances the plot

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

etalian posted:

It was great when he got dunked on at Tycho station.

I liked when they got there and just assumed they'd get to keep their ship as if they were some A-Team special forces whatever out to save the solar system. Not enough people say "You're just a bunch of lovely rock hoppers who lucked into a fancy ship." I feel like that's going to come up now that they don't have much in the way of weapons left anymore. They stole a cop car and now it's out of gas and they don't want to go back to normal.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's a shame cgi modeling is expensive because I'd dig a show where the crew have to buy/steal a new ship each season because of increasingly violent finales.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I imagine building sets for a whole new hero ship every season would be the expensive part

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They could probably just reconfigure the current one.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Cojawfee posted:

I liked when they got there and just assumed they'd get to keep their ship as if they were some A-Team special forces whatever out to save the solar system. Not enough people say "You're just a bunch of lovely rock hoppers who lucked into a fancy ship." I feel like that's going to come up now that they don't have much in the way of weapons left anymore. They stole a cop car and now it's out of gas and they don't want to go back to normal.

At the same time, if they could actually prove that they've done a ton to expose the protomolecule shenanigans, that they were instrumental to Eros not straight up killing Earth, etc., then they'd justifiably deserve to be paid all the money and get an even fancier ship if they wanted it.

Maybe they'll take a step closer to that if they compare notes with Chrisjen, though based on the preview we won't see an immediate teamup, but I don't think it'll take long for everyone to be completely whipped and doing Chrisjen's bidding once she wakes up.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

NowonSA posted:

At the same time, if they could actually prove that they've done a ton to expose the protomolecule shenanigans, that they were instrumental to Eros not straight up killing Earth, etc., then they'd justifiably deserve to be paid all the money and get an even fancier ship if they wanted it.
You're not wrong about recognition in general, but I don't think there exists a fancier ship in the system. At least not on the scale our guys could crew.

Like they basically have more firepower by themselves than the rest of the OPA at this point.

On just a conceptual level, I don't know what the appeal is in getting a new ship. It's way more fun to get comfy and familiar with one ship. Break it in over the years, make it feel like home. That's more compelling to me than fancy new ships.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They better loving change the name back to Rocinante

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

legitimate salvage

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In the books the Roci is basically backed by the OPA/is OPA muscle but in the show they injected a bunch of needless friction and drama between the Roci and Frohnson

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Phi230 posted:

They better loving change the name back to Rocinante

You can't change the Roci back, it's gone and gone and gone.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Eiba posted:

You're not wrong about recognition in general, but I don't think there exists a fancier ship in the system. At least not on the scale our guys could crew.

The impression I get is that her class is meant to be the latest and, at least in her weight division, greatest addition to the MCRN fleet, and is hence more technologically advanced than anything else in the system bar the stealth ships.

The black ops team sent to collect the protomolecule from Ganymede, that Errinwright had shot down, were riding in one, and they're not likely to be flying around in a third rate patrol ship on a mission like that.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

Phi230 posted:

In the books the Roci is basically backed by the OPA/is OPA muscle but in the show they injected a bunch of needless friction and drama between the Roci and Frohnson

The same thing pretty much happens by this point tho, just in a slightly different order.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

The impression I get is that her class is meant to be the latest and, at least in her weight division, greatest addition to the MCRN fleet, and is hence more technologically advanced than anything else in the system bar the stealth ships.

The black ops team sent to collect the protomolecule from Ganymede, that Errinwright had shot down, were riding in one, and they're not likely to be flying around in a third rate patrol ship on a mission like that.

There are two berthed on each of the Donnager class battleships.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Collateral posted:

There are two berthed on each of the Donnager class battleships.

I didn't say they were super rare, just that her class was the newest one in the fleet, which is why it's fielded in the big roles, while Bulk and Skull on belter patrol shakedown had an older ship relegated to second line service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The Donnagers are absolute bleeding-edge battleships, and in fact THE Donnager was the flagship of the entire MCRN, right? So it makes sense that the frigates they carry are also the best available. The Roci is extremely unique.