Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Running profitable companies is boring, what's fun is loving around in the Board Room.
Rulebook: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1z9FAMXy3aiPxTRlzJ-Il3GGF8C31hWjY
Spreadsheet! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lzYR0s15nz1h3G3CqfwF8uLdA0NOW36BJMAOl09wMZI/edit?usp=sharing

Will we make it to the first OR? Let us hope!

e2: seating order:
Panzeh
General
Squishy - PD
Orvin

e: and a quick-ref for Phases

and another for cert limits

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Third time's the charm. I'm in. (board18 username as soon as I'm at my PC)

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am willing to give PBF another shot. Is this 5 short or 10 short?

Board18: Orvin

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I was thinking 5 but if anyone wants to lobby for 10 they'd probably get their way.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am fine with 5. The handful of times I have played 1817 have been with 5 shorts. My guess is that 10 shorts can sink anything but the most rock solid company.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm down. My board18 name is Panzeh.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Let's do this. "The General" is my board18 handle.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

And that's 5! Still waiting on Dancer's username, but I've made the spreadsheet and randomized the player order which is
Dancer
Panzeh
General
Me
Orvin

And we start bidding for privates. It's not a chain auction so Dancer can place a starting bid for any company and then we'll auction that one off, then Panzeh can start one and so on. There's $200 of seed money and bidding must remain below the company's face price, with the seed money being spent making up the difference between the winning bid and the face price. I think that's the only weird part other rules are pretty standard: subsequent bids must increase, bids must be a positive number that's a multiple of five, you must have the money to pay, once you pass you're out, if we all consecutively pass the chance to start an auction this round ends and remaining privates are junked.
Here are the privates

None of them provide revenue to the player who owns them, they're just for company abilities. Pittsburgh allows you to place the Pittsburgh tile (but doesn't promise you can); Mountain Engineers make it profitable to lay tile on Mountains; Bridge Co.s make it free to lay tile on rivers and give the ability to buff Louisville, Cincinatti, and Charlston for all players; Train Station is a station that your company doesn't have to buy (more on that later); Coal Mines allow you to place coal mines on mountain tiles, $10 stops that make the tile unupgradable; and Mail Contracts give your company money just for having a train.
e: here's a homebrew map on BGG while we're waiting for the Board.
e2: maybe I should say here: you do not sell privates to public companies. Instead, you use the face price of a private as funds for the IPO in a stock round. So if you win an auction for a President's share with a bid of $100, you could start the company off with $60 and the Pittsburgh Steel Mill, for example. It must match the bid exactly, so you couldn't start it with the Major Mail Contract.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 22, 2018

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I have to apologize folks, I really didn't mean to kill this before it even started; with courses starting tomorrow, this is a bad time for me to engage in this. I can't play. I should've been more sensitive and not signed up in the first place.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Nows the best time, good luck with school. Shall we knock it down to four players?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am fine with 4, or willing to wait a day or two if you think you can find a 5th.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Orvin posted:

I am fine with 4, or willing to wait a day or two if you think you can find a 5th.

same

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Ok, assuming General's easygoing and no one's about to rush in, let's go. Same order, sans Dancer. I've started the Board so hopefully everyone's received an email.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'll put Union Bridge Co up for $25

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This is happening faster than I anticipated. I still haven't looked at the board or rulebook but since Panzeh Wants it, I'll Bid 30.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Bid $45 on Union Bridge

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Orvin posted:

Bid $45 on Union Bridge

hey, wait ur turn, maaaan

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Whoops. Got the turn order messed up in my head.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Orvin posted:

Bid $45 on Union Bridge

I'm assuming this is still happening.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Yes,

Bid $45

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Bid $60

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Pass

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

$65

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Pass

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
$70

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I pass and I got a discord message saying "Hi, I'm running the 1817 thread and I'm heading off for a bit w/out internet. In the interest of speeding it up a bit if it gets round to me again could you Passfor me?"

So Squishy and I pass.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

In this game, once you pass on a specific private company auction, you can not bid again. So no need to continue passing after the first time in each auction.

Looks like Panzeh wins at $70.

And The General gets to put up the next private for auction.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I bid $20 on Mountain Engineers

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

$25
e: i guess i should say; $190 of seed money remaining. Panzah has $245 and a purchasing equity of $325.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 23, 2018

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Bid $30

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
$35

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

$25
e: i guess i should say; $190 of seed money remaining. Panzah has $245 and a purchasing equity of $325.

I think in the spreadsheet Panzah should have a $10 subsidy in the private section for the Union Bridge.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You're right. My gut was that player cost is more interesting but since we're just changing money into equally-spendable companies, the subsidy is the more important info. Also, the only way I could find of subtracting the amount from Panzeh is entering a -70 "Stock Action."

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I want it dammit. $40

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

As no bids can exceed the face price then it's yours. I reckon you can make it pay.
$50 for the Major Mail Contract - a fair price I'm sure.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

$55

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You've skipped Orvin and Panzeh.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Bid $70 on Major Mail Contract

No point in going slowly at $5 increments.

• Locked thread