Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

"You're really giving me your axe?!"
"I'm letting you hold it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

esperterra posted:

I kind of love Kratos' idea of mourning right now just being to showing not a whole lot of emotion, least of all empathy for his also mourning son. Last time he mourned over a dead wife things got a little um hectic.

yeah. kratos is a just a broken human being, he came from a lovely military based society and i doubt they believed in positive ideas of emotional release. not to mention his whole "killed the greek pantheon and everyone else" thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
huh, i just looked up Ascension because I don't remember a single thing about that game's plot, and was surprised to see it actually got very good reviews, were they all paid off or did everyone misjudge that game? I don't remember it being BAD exactly, just super mediocre?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

precision posted:

huh, i just looked up Ascension because I don't remember a single thing about that game's plot, and was surprised to see it actually got very good reviews, were they all paid off or did everyone misjudge that game? I don't remember it being BAD exactly, just super mediocre?

Ascension was pretty good as a game but it didn't really add anything to the series and was definitely a step down from GoW III.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK wow, so it takes a few hours until you really start to see the insane scope of this game. I just unlocked the ability to travel to different realms and went to Alfheim and good lord the art direction is just absolutely outstanding. All of it without a single loading screen is some dark witchcraft poo poo. And then despite the overall scope being absolutely huge, each little area you explore is wonderfully detailed with a ton of stuff to puzzle out and find.

I complained before about the combat, but now I've started to unlock new abilities and runes and stuff it's getting much better. It's still not quite clicked for me completely, but I'm getting there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Me when a soul eater/elemental fella thinks he can whoop the k man

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The combat clicked for me finally last night, I've unlocked all the "first tier" moves I guess you'd say and I got in that sweet spot of "throw axe to pin down a dude, wail on dude with fists, parry into shield slam, call back axe slicing through the guy I just shield slammed, activate big Runic attack, done".

I still think the Health Upgrades are weirdly done and distributed. I got apples 4, 5 and 6 like an hour after getting number 3, then I got 7. And I'm just now still in Alfheim, which means that there are only 2 more apples in the entire, what, 75% of the game I have left? So weird.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Having lots of sockets and good jewelry to stick in there helps out a ton, especially with all the stacking passive effects like cooldown reset and defense boost.

I've stuck with the shield charge and ice slam as my light and heavy runic attacks for almost the entire game up to this point, they feel so nice to use in conjunction. The kid just got Boars.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I've been using the frost giant frenzy heavy runic, max upgraded that thing does ridiculous damage and interrupts even heavy enemies.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

And you can adjust the text after last night's patch, so that's not even an issue any more afaik unless it's still crap for 4K users.

Holy poo poo, thank you.

I can actually read the codex from my couch now.

[Go to map, hit triangle, accessibility]

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hahaha oops thanks for reminding me you can upgrade runic attacks...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah the game doesn't really point out that you can upgrade EVERYTHING

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

jizzy sillage posted:

I've been using the frost giant frenzy heavy runic, max upgraded that thing does ridiculous damage and interrupts even heavy enemies.

Yeah that's the one I use, Kratos wailing away 30 times a second never gets old.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've killed 3 ancients but only have 2 hearts. Do they not always drop?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just killed the dragon. Holy gently caress this game is epic. What an awesome boss fight.

It just seems to get better and better and it started out really good.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)
Bought it today, beat Varg Vikernes into a bloody pulp within an hour of starting it.

10/10 GOTY

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Kilometers Davis posted:

Me when a soul eater/elemental fella thinks he can whoop the k man

Lmao

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I uhh.. started this game on hard, because I play every game on hard like an idiot, and it was loving miserable. I even died in the fighting tutorial because the enemies overwhelmed me before the game taught me how to dodge or block. I think I got as far as the first ogre and turned it down to normal.

Combat is really hard before you get some upgrades, huh?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Also hearing Kratos retell old Greek fables like they were presented to him as a series of matter-of-fact bullet points is hilarious.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
"And then Icarus flew too close to the sun and his wings melted. Uh, yeah...yeah that's what happened"

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

"There was an ant and a grasshopper. The ant collected food for winter. The stupid grasshopper did not and slowly starved to death."

"Uhhhhh cool dad"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There was a crab. His mom wanted him to stop walking sideways and walk forward instead.

The End.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just got a new chisel, how far away am I from a scene where Kratos accidentally and meaningfully calls the boy SON

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

esperterra posted:

I've killed 3 ancients but only have 2 hearts. Do they not always drop?

Did you craft something with one?

Otherwise check in the lost loot section at a blacksmith in case you missed picking one up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Muspelheim trial 3 part 1 is some bullshit huh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nah, haven't crafted any ancient stuff yet. Maybe it bugged out and will show up in my lost loot after I leave the area properly.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

esperterra posted:

"You're really giving me your axe?!"
"I'm letting you hold it."

“If I had lost it I-“

“You DID lose it”

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I just had something awesome spoiled for me trying to look up how to fight a certain beasty.

Don't read unless you don't care or you're past a cut scene involving digging things up.

The motherfucking Blades of Chaos are in this motherfucker

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Not Operator posted:

Also hearing Kratos retell old Greek fables like they were presented to him as a series of matter-of-fact bullet points is hilarious.

That tortoise and hare story :allears:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is there an easy way to track those hidden doorways that you can unlock once you find the chisel?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I just got a new chisel, how far away am I from a scene where Kratos accidentally and meaningfully calls the boy SON

An hour or two if you mainline the story, I think?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Is there an easy way to track those hidden doorways that you can unlock once you find the chisel?

They appear on the map and always have a gate inside you can travel to.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
well i already died

this game does not gently caress around, jesus

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
So before every single fight i remind myself "there is a square button and a quick turn button" and immediately forget it.

Had it in resolution mode initially but switched to performance - it is the best looking 1080p game i've seen and the extra framerate makes things GORGEOUS. The extra detail from 4k is nice, but 40-50fps makes so much difference.

Those Valkyries are nasty, huh? I attempted one at level 3 but gave up after ~15 attempts, though twice had her within 1/2 a bar of death.

Just got my SECOND WEAPON. chaos blades. Unf.

e: i still feel like i'm playing in tutorial mode because there's a head attached to my bum telling me things.

im streaming my thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTytsy-lakU midgame spoilers i guess!

iRend fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 23, 2018

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The sealed doors [the ones with a ghostly diamond shaped enchantment seal] are marked on the map if you walked up to them. Same with the fast travel gates.

The real bitch is gonna be remembering where all those chests covered in vines are.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I just had something awesome spoiled for me trying to look up how to fight a certain beasty.

Don't read unless you don't care or you're past a cut scene involving digging things up.

LMAO I got to this part like 6 minutes later. :suicide:

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 23, 2018

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

My impression playing God of War over the first 5 hours:

Hour 1:
Hour 2:
Hour 3:
Hour 4:
Hour 5:

Its been a real roller-coaster ride but I'm loving this game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo yessss not even sad I read that spoiler

How close am I to that happening if I’m headed back to the Witch after getting to the top of the mountain and snatching Mimir’s head?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
holy loving poo poo this game is so good

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
everything about kratos and atreus' dynamic is incredible and i love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Visuals are great. Combat is okay. I'm not one to judge sound, but it was fine for me and the voice acting was good.

As for the story, and as I pointed out earlier, there is basically no player engagement at all and is ultimately super lovely. Up until the literal last 5 minutes of the game the story is you are going to spread your wife's ashes from the tallest mountain in all the realms because she asked you to. And what does it take to do that? Killing a few gods, opening pathways and secrets that other gods gave their lives to protect, and generally just paving the way for Odin to accomplish one of his big goals even if it isn't directly spelt out in the game. And this all culminates in starting Ragnarok early... all because you couldn't settle for second best mountain to toss your wife's ashes from. That is the actual story of this game. Then the remaining 5 minutes are basically a cliffhanger with no explanation.

Maybe you can get behind the dad/son theme and it connects with you as some have noted. If that is true, I'd say please call CPS and turn yourselves in. For me, Kratos comes off as the video game god equivalent of the angry drunk and borderline abusive dad with PTSD who thinks he's knows the one way to raise his kid and gently caress all other possible paths. Atreus does well with the angst filled young boy who just lost his mother and is dependent upon a dad who was never really home angle, but that doesn't make for a very compelling character and the rapid ping ponging he goes through near the end made him far more unlikable and annoying than anything else. His whole coming of age and finding himself takes place basically over the course of running through a single zone.

The side stories were generally pretty great, so long as you remember to read the lore items. I don't regret my time playing it however I planned on getting through it this weekend (as I did) on the strength of the reviews and pre-release coverage and if I had known the story was so weak I'd have been happier waiting a while.

I can't see where it lists time played, but I'm sitting around 25-30 hours. I've done everything except beat one Valkyrie (story wise, I'm sure I missed some chests and I definitely didn't go looking for ravens). Started on Challenge and scaled it back down to story over the course of 6 or so hours after I found the difficulty to be too dependent upon the controls and not fun as a challenge itself.

nessin fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 23, 2018