Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

JoeCL posted:

Baseball was wild before anybody knew what stats were.

A baseball game where the players are kept completely anonymous and the managers have to choose who to put in the lineup based solely on 10 BP swings, 10 bullpen throws, and whether the player has a high butt. The managers aren't even told what positions the players play, they're kept completely in the dark.

Goddamn right I would watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hi,

Javier Baez leads the NL in RBI's and is tied for the MLB lead with 23. He's also tied for second in MLB and NL home runs.

Bye.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Hi,

Javier Baez leads the NL in RBI's and is tied for the MLB lead with 23. He's also tied for second in MLB and NL home runs.

Bye.

Is he at 7? I thought he was at 6.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
No time like now to trade Baez to Colorado

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
He just hit HR #7 today.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
He hit #7 today but he's still at best tied for 3rd in MLB in home runs because Harper has 8 and Trout has 9. Harper will hit 2 tonight to get to 10 though.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Apropos of nothing, their seems to be more certainty now, even with so few games played, which teams will matter after the break and which teams won't.

Parity has always been a myth and there's always been poo poo teams but there's always also been a smidgeon of "you mean there's a chance?". There isn't even a chance for many fans and how can that be good for baseball?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Carlos Gomez owns owns owns.

It now means I can name 3 Rays outfielders hell yeah.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Johnny Bravo posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MLB/status/988152750818119682
Barria threw 49 pitches, left the bases loaded and didn't give up a run.

I was at the Angels game today and watching this at bat in the hot sun was only fun because it was the first inning. The top of the 1st took like 30 minutes and the game was at 3 hours going into the 8th.

Went to the Dodgers last night. I give the Dodgers the edge on the better ballpark, but only a little. Walking up the hill through a sea of parking lots is really aggravating. Good concessions though and had a good view of the game. Big park though, and the outfield bleachers look tacked on.

Angels park was nicer since it is newer, but the concession lines were huge. Lots of Giants fans there.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

How was it getting to Angels Stadium? I'm planning a SoCal trip for this summer and getting to either there or Dodger Stadium is on the list

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Carlosologist posted:

How was it getting to Angels Stadium? I'm planning a SoCal trip for this summer and getting to either there or Dodger Stadium is on the list

I’m staying close to Dodgers Stadium and it took me about 45 minutes to get to Angels Stadium, about an hour to get back. It’s pretty close to I-5. I left before the game ended because I had to get back to LA, so I breezed out of the parking lot. Not sure how it would have been if I stayed until the end.

I imagine getting there for a night game would have add another 30 minutes to the drive.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Carlosologist posted:

Depending on where you’re staying, transit at Angels Stadium may be doable since the regional Metrolink train service stop for the city is (was? They rebuilt the station since I was there) the stadium’s parking lot. If you’re staying locally, I’ve never ridden the local bus system, sorry.

Dodgers are in a sort of isolated crevice is really just outside the downtown core, but it feels like its way out there even though it’s not. The connections between that isolated desert of pavement and concrete and the rest of the city isn’t able to handle the capacity of the stadium; which is kind of odd, because cars were massive tanks in the days of the stadium’s origins, and while the city has grown the stadium capacity has largely remained the same due to state and local law.

You should see both baseball stadiums if you can, but if you can’t that might help.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 23, 2018

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

algebra testes posted:

Carlos Gomez owns owns owns.

It now means I can name 3 Rays outfielders hell yeah.

Gonna get some spicy hot takes from boring old baseball purists for his celebration.

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/988162883728035840

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

marioinblack posted:

Gonna get some spicy hot takes from boring old baseball purists for his celebration.

I hope Dozier keeps his dumb mouth shut about this one

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

IMO bat flips aren't enough. I want signature touchdown dances in baseball for home runs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tom Gorman posted:

IMO bat flips aren't enough. I want signature touchdown dances in baseball for home runs.

done on the pitcher's mound

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

done on the pitcher's mound

I could get behind this.

Edit: has javy learned to lay off garbage pitches or something? Hot drat.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 23, 2018

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Tom Gorman posted:

Bury a dunk tank underneath the mound and let the batters javelin the bat into the target :getin:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Thanks for the tips to the above posters, really appreciate it

I’m thinking about starting up a general advice thread for goons who travel to see their teams. Like I’ll write something up for New York and what to do/see around trips to the ballpark. It’ll also be a place where people can post their trip pictures and report back

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Carlosologist posted:

Thanks for the tips to the above posters, really appreciate it

I’m thinking about starting up a general advice thread for goons who travel to see their teams. Like I’ll write something up for New York and what to do/see around trips to the ballpark. It’ll also be a place where people can post their trip pictures and report back

This could be fun; I'm going to get a chance to go to Fenway for the first time in June.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23290062/white-sox-reliever-danny-farquhar-critical-stable-condition-following-brain-surgery?platform=amp

quote:

White Sox reliever Danny Farquhar was in stable but critical condition Sunday, a day after undergoing surgery to relieve swelling on his brain after suffering a brain hemorrhage while in the dugout during a game.

That is not good. Goddamn.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Mustached Demon posted:

I could get behind this.

Edit: has javy learned to lay off garbage pitches or something? Hot drat.

Looking at his plate discipline numbers on fangraphs to check. His swings outside the zone are 44% which is crazy high and more or less in line with his numbers form last year. his overall swing percentage is in fact somewhat higher than last year, fueled by a huge increase on swings inside the zone, from about 72 to 81%, despite a swinging strike percentage that is down 2% compared to last year. Thats the most noticeable change in his profile, but his contact percentage is also up relative to last year from about 66 to 70%. This seems to mostly be fueled by an increase in contact percentage on pitches outside the zone, from 53 to 63%.

So yeah basically Baez still swinging all the time, but he is maybe seeing the ball better than before and punishing more strikes. Who knows how sustainable any of this is.

Edited to make a little more sense.

Strasburgs UCL fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 23, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

jesus I hope he's ok

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m staying close to Dodgers Stadium and it took me about 45 minutes to get to Angels Stadium, about an hour to get back. It’s pretty close to I-5. I left before the game ended because I had to get back to LA, so I breezed out of the parking lot. Not sure how it would have been if I stayed until the end.

I imagine getting there for a night game would have add another 30 minutes to the drive.

This phrase is enough to know you're not from socal. That's "the 5". :colbert:

Driving to Angels stadium sucks coming from LA or from Orange County just because its rush hour. I'd expect an hour and a half from LA to get to a 7pm game. The 57, 5 and 22 are all really close to the Stadium. Metrolink has a stop in the parking lot so if you're coming from Union Station in LA that's an option, I think its like $10 for a roundtrip ticket on weeknights. OCTA bus system sucks but 50 (Katella Blvd bus) and 57 (State College, Bristol) aren't horrible.

And Angels stadium isn't much newer than Dodgers stadium. 1966 vs 1962. 3rd and 4th oldest stadiums in baseball. The Angels just put up all new video boards this season and have done more renovations recently though.

The Changeup Grill is the best food in the stadium. I got pork katsu, broccoli and steamed rice and a Sapporo the last time I was there. This year its a different nationality/region of food each month. April is Japanese food for Ohtani, I think May is Philly stuff for Trout even though he's from Jersey, I guess its "close enough".

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 23, 2018

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

I had a co-worker drop dead at work last year from this same thing. I hope he can recover.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Good Dog posted:

As a Seattleite, :barf:

It's I-5 and always has been.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

marioinblack posted:

This is good and cool but wow that uniform is hideous :eyepop:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

why were the cubs' bench coaches ejected after the bryant hbp?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

New Dodgers game plan: lose Kershaw starts, win each series anyway.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Abel Wingnut posted:

why were the cubs' bench coaches ejected after the bryant hbp?

They threw coffee at the umpires (this is not a joke)

E: Here is the video https://streamable.com/w3qvi

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 23, 2018

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Good Dog posted:

I always draw my California relatives' attention to how weird they are saying that whenever I see them and then they second guess themselves the entire time they're here. It's awesome.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve lived in LA since 2010 and still refuse to say “the” 5, and still call the red line the subway instead of the “train”

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"The Californians" was the most accurate skit that SNL ever did

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I lived in SoCal for ~10 years, have now lived in the Bay Area for ~8 years, and know I'm slowly being converted because I've started saying "eighty seven, five, one-oh-one", etc instead of "the 87, the 5", etc.

I refuse to say hella, though. :colbert:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Is this where I come to complain about the Twins losing to a team consisting largely of Former Twins? Because god drat c'MON guys. THE RAYS.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

JoeCL posted:

So yeah basically Baez still swinging all the time, but he is maybe seeing the ball better than before and punishing more strikes. Who knows how sustainable any of this is.

Oddly enough his BABIP this season is nearly 50 points lower than his career average, so maybe it is sustainable?

MrMojok posted:

I’ve lived in LA since 2010 and still refuse to say “the” 5, and still call the red line the subway instead of the “train”

I had the reverse happen to me. I grew up in Chicago, but when I moved back here after living for 5 years in LA, I called it "the 90" for the first 6 months I was back.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

As a Hoosier, it's definitely "I-69" for me

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I feel like single-digit interstates actually sound weird without "The", and I'm a New Yorker.

Which probably helps explain it since we don't have of them. But when I was in Irvine for work and drove up to see my brother in LA, I couldn't help but say "the 5" because just saying "I took 5 up here" sounds really weird.

I would never say "the 495" or "the 95" or "the 90" though, that's totally hosed.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Explosionface posted:

I always draw my California relatives' attention to how weird they are saying that whenever I see them and then they second guess themselves the entire time they're here. It's awesome.
We say it that way because freeways got their start here and were initially given names. So it was the Santa Monica Freeway, the Pasadena Freeway, etc.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
5 was The Cowfart Freeway. Weird but true

• Locked thread