Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Here's a nice article about bagna cauda:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/03/a-bagna-cauda-youll-want-to-bathe-in.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Now for a recipe for Minbari flarn.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
JMS really, really wants to do the Lord Of The Rings TV show.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/982770201136541696

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
All those jokes my friend and I made about Khazad-dum and Za Ha Dum sharing the same crevice where you can be reborn is a bit less funny now I guess.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think he was pretty open about how many Tolkien influences and homages were visible in B5.

“Lorien” is a really weird name to reuse in the way he did though

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
The Rangers are totally inspired by things like the Texas Rangers, totally, not any other sort of grand story about a mystic clash between light and dark in which the actions of normal people serve to end the era of ancient godlike beings dominating the course of history.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm pretty sure back in the day that JMS wavered between 'it was intentional homage' and 'how dare you accuse me of borrowing elements from lord of the rings' depending on his mood/audience.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I went to see if he had posted anything about it on Usenet back then and came across this instead which gave me a good chuckle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vavrek posted:

The Rangers are totally inspired by things like the Texas Rangers, totally, not any other sort of grand story about a mystic clash between light and dark in which the actions of normal people serve to end the era of ancient godlike beings dominating the course of history.

All things considered, I don't have a problem with the Rangers being directly inspired by LOTR within show continuity.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Eyud posted:

I went to see if he had posted anything about it on Usenet back then and came across this instead which gave me a good chuckle.

It's great when writers superimpose the reaction to their work onto the work of writers who have practically become legendary. They seem to not understand that they're basically saying "well, this world-renowned writer managed to craft his work in such a way as to avoid those criticisms, whereas I did not".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well, or they could be alluding to how more renowned stuff wasn't necessarily all that well received when it first came out but then came to be much better regarded over time?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Saw 8 new posts, wondered who died this time.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

evobatman posted:

Tolkein... :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

evobatman posted:

Think we're pretty safe on that front until November 25th.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I just got past the end of the Shadow war in my rewatch. Its a great episode despite its odd placement in series four. In the next episode they celebrate stopping not one but two genocidal crusades by throwing the lamest party in the galaxy. I'm not being critical, I find that some how really charming. Especially Franklin throwing himself fully into the dancing despite being terrible at it.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Just in case there was any doubt...
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/987205484850524160

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

A drat shame. Warner Bros treatment of this show is really something.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I will buy the rights to it for $1. Whoever sells it to me will get credit for a profit and therefore a success. Going once, going twice....

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I am watching this for the first time. I just finished 3x16 War Without End (1).

It's great except for the rear end in a top hat of the week episodes (that have mostly seemed to slowed down now that earthforce isn't sending random assholes anymore). I know you're all dying to hear my thoughts so here you are:

Bester owns and I love my psidaddy
    Sheridan took forever to grow on me (they frontloaded all the whiny eps), and his burgeoning love with delenn is the cutest thing ever, mostly because
    Delenn is the best
    There needs to be no more doctor eps, i hate his plots
    G'Kar's gone from okay to amazing
    Londo's done the opposite
    The king arthur episode was dumb as goddamn heck, but I sort of enjoyed it anyway

e: I forgot the most important thing: Zathras is the best character on any show

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Psi tape is real

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Senor Dog posted:

e: I forgot the most important thing: Zathras is the best character on any show

Wait, do you mean Zathras, or Zathras?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Milky Moor posted:

A drat shame. Warner Bros treatment of this show is really something.

Yeah, don't ever let anyone tell you businesses or corporations are governed solely by the almighty dollar. There's plenty of people in charge who will happily shoot themselves in both feet out of utter pettiness and spite.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The complete series was broadcast on one of the UK freeview channels and after watching nearly all of it... I'd happily rewatch it again! They showed the movies too, but I missed a few episodes, it's a shame it's so hard to catch up on them due to WB's pettiness.

Also weird how one of my final memories will be the Rangers weapons system. What the hell were they thinking? If they recut that movie and just removed that bit, I think it would actually be a decent enough film. But with it, wow, just wow.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I wonder if JMS had some grand vision of how the ranger VR weapon system would look on screen and gradually turned more and more pale as he watched the end result, or if he proudly thought "yes, this is what people will remember!" Which they did, but...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Payndz posted:

I wonder if JMS had some grand vision of how the ranger VR weapon system would look on screen and gradually turned more and more pale as he watched the end result, or if he proudly thought "yes, this is what people will remember!" Which they did, but...

I think he's said it was the former. He had this vision in his head that didn't translate at all.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The goddang doctor is talking to himself while I'm tryna watch these shadow bitches get killed,

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

The goddang doctor is talking to himself while I'm tryna watch these shadow bitches get killed,

"Why do I have to watch the good bit, it's interfering with my viewing!" :qq:

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

I think he's said it was the former. He had this vision in his head that didn't translate at all.

The number of bosses I've worked for who will insist that all their ideas are good and that the ones that turn out bad are solely due to the execution and not because the idea was bad.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Jedit posted:

"Why do I have to watch the good bit, it's interfering with my viewing!" :qq:

JMS and his walkabout bullshit is never the good bit of anything.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, don't ever let anyone tell you businesses or corporations are governed solely by the almighty dollar. There's plenty of people in charge who will happily shoot themselves in both feet out of utter pettiness and spite.

Bear in mind, though, that any statement from Straczynski has to be taken with a grain of salt, because he has a long, long history of filtering the truth to make him look good; he's almost Roddenberry-esque in that regard. For all we know, he went to WB and asked for a Blu-ray release, but then added, "Also, I want the full rights to B5 back, I want you to resurrect Katsulas and Biggs and Conaway, and also I'd like a pony."

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Timby posted:

Bear in mind, though, that any statement from Straczynski has to be taken with a grain of salt, because he has a long, long history of filtering the truth to make him look good; he's almost Roddenberry-esque in that regard. For all we know, he went to WB and asked for a Blu-ray release, but then added, "Also, I want the full rights to B5 back, I want you to resurrect Katsulas and Biggs and Conaway, and also I'd like a pony."

He's admitted fault a lot more frequently than Roddenberry ever did. Then again, the number of professional relationships he's had that have gone utterly sour has been conspicuously high.

We do have multiple other people corroborating his explanations of why WB has treated the show so poorly, and it certainly fits with other accounts of their corporate structure.

The mess with the human weapons interface comes down to his statements about thinking audiences need identifiable human figures to identify with in space combat. I'd say that reflects a fundamental failure of imagination. I've watched Trek spin-offs where I identify with the ship more than with any of the actual characters. I have no doubt he'd imagined something different (tai-chi in the weapons pod, maybe?), but that's no indication either that this was a solution to the stated problem or that the problem needed solving in the first place.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Flatscan posted:

JMS and his walkabout bullshit is never the good bit of anything.

The walkabout wasn't good, but Franklin vs Franklin was great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Narsham posted:

He's admitted fault a lot more frequently than Roddenberry ever did. Then again, the number of professional relationships he's had that have gone utterly sour has been conspicuously high.

We do have multiple other people corroborating his explanations of why WB has treated the show so poorly, and it certainly fits with other accounts of their corporate structure.

I'm not saying he's explicitly wrong--I have no problem believing that WB doesn't want to throw one more cent at B5--I'm just saying that he's high on his own farts most of the time, so anything he says has to be taken with that in mind.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Timby posted:

I'm not saying he's explicitly wrong--I have no problem believing that WB doesn't want to throw one more cent at B5--I'm just saying that he's high on his own farts most of the time, so anything he says has to be taken with that in mind.

You write as if that were unusual and unexpected? JMS wrote so drat much in relation to B5 that it's pretty easy to get a line on his particular brand of BS (like the grandiose Studio JMS plans) in comparison to other writer/producers. Ron Moore managed to string out the "they have a plan" thing for years and has since admitted that catch-phrase got inserted into BSGs opening by someone else and he knew quite well how big a lie it was. It's perpetually hard to tell whether Steven Moffatt is trolling, lying, or being completely sincere. And don't get me started on JJ Abrams. Unless you're the sort who doesn't get that people can offer distortions or lies on the Internet, JMS is generally much easier to decipher than most.

I'm not sure why this particular line of discussion triggered a warning from you not to trust what he's saying, when this looks like an example (rare or not) of him being relatively straight. It is believable that the other obstacle to negotiations is that JMS is an obstinant control-freak with poor people skills. Then again, JMS doesn't exactly go out of his way to conceal that, either, and it's doubtful we'd have the show if he weren't.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of good media out there that ended up getting mostly abandoned by whatever organization wound up sitting on the rights for decades. It's not a particularly unique occurrence.

Unless somebody important in Warner Brothers decides to put some effort into putting it out again or somebody buys off the rights, it'll stay in its little hole until it eventually enters public domain in about 150 years.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Started my ... hmmm let’s see. 4th watch through of the series. This time reading the corresponding episode notes from the script books like I always wanted to. I agree with something said waaaaaay back that the 1st season really isn’t all that bad in retrospect. I used to think O’Hare to be awfully wooden and sometimes he is, but it’s not as bad as I thought.

Goddamn this show is so loving good.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

Started my ... hmmm let’s see. 4th watch through of the series. This time reading the corresponding episode notes from the script books like I always wanted to. I agree with something said waaaaaay back that the 1st season really isn’t all that bad in retrospect. I used to think O’Hare to be awfully wooden and sometimes he is, but it’s not as bad as I thought.

Goddamn this show is so loving good.

Knowing what he was going through mentally, his performance is actually fairly amazing. You'd only guess that he was suffering from paranoid delusions and hallucinations when that's in character!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Narsham posted:

Knowing what he was going through mentally, his performance is actually fairly amazing. You'd only guess that he was suffering from paranoid delusions and hallucinations when that's in character!

It was interesting when O'Hare came back in season 3 seeming much more happy and relaxed. At the time I wondered if he was so chipper because he was getting a nice paycheque while not having to deal with the stress of working with JMS on a daily basis. Nope; turns out that he'd spent eight months filming before seeking treatment because he thought the show would be canned if he didn't complete the season. When he came back he was on anti-psychotic medication and didn't have to wonder if the weird looking creatures on set were real or not.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i learned about O'Hare's schizophrenia during my last rewatch of the show last year, and drat if the plots of several season 1 episodes must have been trying for someone with his condition. sinclair gets mind-whammied some way or other every other episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Schizophrenia eh? Well never mind. Here's your role: THERE IS A HOLE IN YOUR MIND