Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I did a walkman for my kid at 2. He is super into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

kbdragon posted:

This toy actually plays longer quips of 6 classical songs and doesn’t sound terrible to my musical inclined ear. Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy

This x 100. We got it from a family member when our son was a couple of months old and it's just now having issues after all his abuse. He's two and still plays with it on occasion. It just kinda stops during some pieces. :shrug: I loved it to death as a kid's toy.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I did a walkman for my kid at 2. He is super into it.

Hah! My mom gave my sister a cassette walkman at around that age. My sister loved La Bamba and figured out how to play just that song. She figured out that when the song was over and she flipped the tape over she could play this other song then flip back and La Bamba would play again.

I still remember her trying to bop her head along to the music and (failing to) snap her fingers.

loving adorable!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone ever dealt with kids with enlarged adenoids? I've been noticing that my 5 year old son always has dark circles under his eyes, sounds very nasal, and snores like an obese alcoholic. He can also be really grumpy, and will often ask us to repeat things we say. Google is throwing up tons of stuff that's pretty much confirming to me that he has enlarged adenoids. I'm gonna book an appointment with the GP tomorrow, but if he does need them removed it's general anaesthetic surgery and that seems pretty scary :(

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Bardeh posted:

Anyone ever dealt with kids with enlarged adenoids? I've been noticing that my 5 year old son always has dark circles under his eyes, sounds very nasal, and snores like an obese alcoholic. He can also be really grumpy, and will often ask us to repeat things we say. Google is throwing up tons of stuff that's pretty much confirming to me that he has enlarged adenoids. I'm gonna book an appointment with the GP tomorrow, but if he does need them removed it's general anaesthetic surgery and that seems pretty scary :(

I was a kid with enlarged adenoids, and I handled two separate surgeries for them fine, at age 5 and 7. (Or 5 and 6? I was 5 for the first one, anyway.) I don't remember even any real recovery time from the second one - the first one was also a tonsillectomy because my tonsils were the size of walnuts, and there was some (at-home) recovery from that, but I think I went to school the next day after the just-adenoidectomy.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I really loved my in-laws so much more before we had our kid

A lot of the books and classes warn of overbearing in-laws with outdated opinions, but what they don't tell you is that some in-laws are 'aware' of this warning and will use that to guilt you

My MIL visited for 2 weeks and every other sentence was some form of "I know your generation is so much smarter than mine, but I did X and my kids turned out just fine, so..." :abuela:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

WarpDogs posted:

A lot of the books and classes warn of overbearing in-laws with outdated opinions, but what they don't tell you is that some in-laws are 'aware' of this warning and will use that to guilt you

My MIL visited for 2 weeks and every other sentence was some form of "I know your generation is so much smarter than mine, but I did X and my kids turned out just fine, so..." :abuela:

Yep, this is tough. I get it from both sets of parents, and man is it tiring. But ehh, just part of family dynamics. I found that just being firm with “this is what WE decided”, without being defensive works pretty well to tamp it down. Also, it depends on the dynamic, but whenever I get the ‘so much smarter’ line I just say “Yep!”

It still rears it’s head from time to time, and I still get plenty of eye rolls from my parents over certain things.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

No, father-in-law, it is not okay to give your ten month old grandchild chocolate and cola. No, we don't need to relax.
No, mother-in-law, your granddaughter does not need wooly socks and mittens for the five minute drive back to our place. It's fifteen degrees out. Please try to relax a little.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We are "lucky" to have my husband's father nearby. He recently retired and has chosen to spend every day...completely avoiding us and his grandchildren. When he does grace us with his presence, usually at dinners we host in our home since he made it clear the kids are not welcome in his, he likes to give us parenting advice.

He left my husband's mother when my husband was 2. He barely saw his sons when they were little, then later he was the fun dad who had them on weekends for pizza and movies. I have held my tongue on numerous occasions, but I swear the next time he gets passive aggressive with our parenting choices I will finally call him out for being a lovely dad and a worse grandparent. I am oddly grateful he doesn't make en effort to put our kids in his life, I guess it's better to have an absent grandparent than a lovely one.

Ironically, the best grandparent my kids have is the one who lives farthest away.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Well, nobody is going to cop to actually useful advice parents or in laws give, particularly with discipline. People tend to share anecdotes where they rebuff bad advice vs being the parent that loses their patience and yells at their kids only to have their in laws give them pointers to help manage their temper for their kids sake.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Bardeh posted:

Yep, my son had the same symptoms & after waiting for him to grow out of it, we saw an ENT last year. He recommended an adenoid & tonsillectomy. General anesthesia is scary, but they’re under for like 15 minutes, it’s a super quick surgery. Recovery wasn’t too bad, lots of movies & iPad time.

After a week, his snoring was gone. It was amazing. His appetite also greatly improved. He went from being on the very bottom of the weight chart to smack in the middle. Turns out that when you use all your energy to breathe it makes eating not so great.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks, that's reassuring. I've got an appointment for him with the GP on Monday.

It's odd - his appetite is fine, he's tall for his age and a healthy weight, but he just never looks rested. He has plenty of energy and runs around, plays etc, but he's often cranky and those dark circles don't go away no matter how long he sleeps. I get him in bed by around 7.30pm, and he usually wakes up around 6.30-7am, so he gets plenty of sleep, but his snoring is getting worse and he'll wake himself up multiple times per night.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

WarpDogs posted:

My response has been "Oh well I guess my kid is going to turn out lovely then." Only took twice for them to get the hint.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I just straight up said "If we want your advice, we'll ask for it" and it hasn't been an issue since. I can see how that might not work for everyone though.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Inlaws and own parents are pretty cool. They don’t offer much unsolicited advice and when they do it’s rarely bad. When it’s bad we tell them that we’ll think about it, but right now we’d rather do whatever we’re doing. Never had any problem.

We do let them spoil the kids when they are taking care of them though. We don’t really care when it’s occasional “with your grandparents” kind of things

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

My mother-in-law gives a lot of unsolicited advice, and the funny thing is she apologizes over and over before and after, as if she knows how annoying she’s being, but can’t help herself. Also, she gets lots of “great tips” from other grandmother friends and it’s always stuff I’ve known about for like a year already (e.g. have you heard of these magnetic tiles? ‘MAGA-tiles’? :smugdon:).

But according to her, the worst offense we’ve committed as parents is not giving our kid cow milk. We might as well be killing her. It’s amazing how successful the “Milk Does A Body Good” campaign was in the 1980s.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Baja Mofufu posted:

My mother-in-law gives a lot of unsolicited advice, and the funny thing is she apologizes over and over before and after, as if she knows how annoying she’s being, but can’t help herself. Also, she gets lots of “great tips” from other grandmother friends and it’s always stuff I’ve known about for like a year already (e.g. have you heard of these magnetic tiles? ‘MAGA-tiles’? :smugdon:).

But according to her, the worst offense we’ve committed as parents is not giving our kid cow milk. We might as well be killing her. It’s amazing how successful the “Milk Does A Body Good” campaign was in the 1980s.

Lol, our son refuses to drink cows milk no matter how hard we try to give it to him. At first it really bothered my wife since she felt she was depriving him. Once I showed her that giant portions of the population don’t or can’t drink it she felt a lot better. The grandparents on the other hand are constantly going on about how we shouldn’t have given up and how critical it is.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Lol, our son refuses to drink cows milk no matter how hard we try to give it to him. At first it really bothered my wife since she felt she was depriving him. Once I showed her that giant portions of the population don’t or can’t drink it she felt a lot better. The grandparents on the other hand are constantly going on about how we shouldn’t have given up and how critical it is.

My go-to for unsolicited advice is to appeal to authority and blame the pediatrician as much as possible.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Know you got a solid as gently caress sleep schedule when the kids remind you that hey it's our bedtime now. Yes this was just pure brag without any value. Con is they wake every single day around 7AM or even 6AM so we never get to sleep in anymore. If that makes you feel better.

Also we drink loads of milk, Finland is like #1 per capita in the world of milk and coffee. Even my wife who is of vietnamese descent, she didn't even know that most people from Vietnam are lactose intolerant until recently when I told her, she grew up here drinking milk like almost everyone does and doesn't have any issues.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I 100% hated drinking milk as a kid, but I was forced to drink a cup with dinner every day. It might have something to do with my mom only buying the grossest skim milk. When I became I teenager all of a sudden I can't get enough milk and I still like milk to this day.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’m bulking just now and I bloody love milk.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Didn’t grow up drinking milk (Asia) and couldn’t tolerate the daily milk carton at lunch when I started school in the US. Now I’ll take it with tea, coffee, cereal but still don’t like it by itself. My 2 year old freaking loves milk and would drink a half gallon a day if we let him. We limit him to 16-20oz a day or else he gets constipated and doesn’t eat his food.

I do think Big Dairy had prior generations brain washed and now current parents of young kids are pushing back and purposely not giving cow’s milk. I’m ambivalent but why buy expensive goat milk/almond milk/Ripple when kid loves cow’s milk and it’s cheap and readily available? Plus on days when he only eats crackers I at least know he’s getting some fat and calories in him.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hi_Bears posted:

why buy expensive goat milk/almond milk/Ripple when kid loves cow’s milk and it’s cheap and readily available?

Because cow milk is for baby cows/full of pus/a product of cow rape :vegansay:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Yeah good quality cow milk is perfectly fine in normal amounts (I say good quality because I’ve heard that some countries have gross milk, but I have no idea how valid/true that is since I only drink milk produced here ).

It’s not necessary but if you can digest it it’s a perfectly fine food. Vegetable milks can be nice low calorie options thought you drink a lot of it. It’s not really a nutritional replacement for milk though, the macronutrients are completely different

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've heard some talk that it shouldn't be heavily relied on as a beverage for kids because it has a moderate amount of sugar naturally occurring in it and kids that are weaned won't feel sated by drinking milk. Probably the lesser of evils though since it's still like half the sugar of juice with more protein, calcium, vitamin D, and other micronutrients.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They make milk with sugar removed (but it has artificial sweeteners): https://hood.com/Products/Calorie-Countdown-2--Reduced-Fat-Dairy-Beverage/

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just don't think I could ever drink something called 'Dairy Beverage'

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

KingColliwog posted:

Yeah good quality cow milk is perfectly fine in normal amounts (I say good quality because I’ve heard that some countries have gross milk, but I have no idea how valid/true that is since I only drink milk produced here ).

It’s not necessary but if you can digest it it’s a perfectly fine food. Vegetable milks can be nice low calorie options thought you drink a lot of it. It’s not really a nutritional replacement for milk though, the macronutrients are completely different

Yeah this is kind of how I feel. Sometimes the amount that milk is leaned on for kids in the US can be weird (like we got some crap from our daycare when we didn't want to give him a cup of it for lunch because everyone else gets one and he'd feel left out!) but by itself I think it's fine if your kid tolerates it.

One thing I hate is the "they're baby humans, not baby cows!" and poo poo like "humans are the only species who drinks other species milk!" and poo poo like that. You can drat well loving bet a whole lot of other species would drink cows milk if they had the ability to milk cows too.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Here is a video about one animal drinking another animals milk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXSk5eBbRDs

I don't drink milk, but I let my son drink however much he wants. At nearly 3, he drinks around 16 ounces a day. He usually asks for a cup in the morning, and another one at some point throughout the day.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Original milk withholder here. Basically my kid doesn’t like it. She got breast milk through age 2 and kids after age 2 don’t need mammal milk. She eats plenty of leafy greens, yogurt and cheese, fatty fish, and gets at least 2 hours of outside play every weekday. She’s in the 80th percentile for height and weight. I’m happy to have these other guilt-free options besides arguing with her daily to drink 2 cups of something she doesn’t like.

There’s always a small amount of good quality cow milk in our house, mostly for coffee and cooking/baking. If our kid wanted some, I wouldn’t deny her. She doesn’t care for juice either. She sees her friends drink both and doesn’t care.

Basically I’m trying to say that we aren’t all intraspecific-milk-consumption lactivists who spend fortunes on nut milks...and/or lactose intolerant.

If you and your kids drink milk, that’s cool too.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Three weeks in and our newborn is doing great. One issue is that we bottle feed her a few times a day, and she drinks them really really fast. If I try to pull away the bottle to give her time to digest she starts squalling again. So she takes 2-3 ounces in super quickly, and then ends up with a huge tummy and what we think is bad gas from all the air she drank with the bottle.

grenada fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 24, 2018

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I really do not miss those days of having to burp a newborn after every feed. Ugh. If it is any consolation, they get the hang of it pretty quick and before long they will self-burp/swallow less air.

On another feeding related note - baby (11.5 months) is being oddly particular about how her greens are delivered. Steamed? Eh. Stir-fried? Meh. In the form of a pan-fried dumpling (potsticker for you Americans)? GIMME ALL THE DUMPLINGS NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

It is now a stupid hour at night and by the time I go to bed I will have spent three hours making and freezing tiny bite-sized pork and vegetable chive dumplings that have been stuffed with as many greens as I can possibly get into each one. Hopefully this batch will last me longer than two weeks.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Leng posted:

I really do not miss those days of having to burp a newborn after every feed. Ugh. If it is any consolation, they get the hang of it pretty quick and before long they will self-burp/swallow less air.

On another feeding related note - baby (11.5 months) is being oddly particular about how her greens are delivered. Steamed? Eh. Stir-fried? Meh. In the form of a pan-fried dumpling (potsticker for you Americans)? GIMME ALL THE DUMPLINGS NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

It is now a stupid hour at night and by the time I go to bed I will have spent three hours making and freezing tiny bite-sized pork and vegetable chive dumplings that have been stuffed with as many greens as I can possibly get into each one. Hopefully this batch will last me longer than two weeks.

They’ll turn their nose up at them, and you’ll have wasted those three hours.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

laxbro posted:

Three weeks in and our newborn is doing great. One issue is that we bottle feed her a few times a day, and she drinks them really really fast. If I try to pull away the bottle to give her time to digest she starts squalling again. So she takes 2-3 ounces in super quickly, and then ends up with a huge tummy and what we think is bad gas from all the air she drank with the bottle.

Look up paced bottle feeding. Hold her a little more upright so she can’t chug as quickly. I think you’re supposed to burp after every ounce too. Sorry those newborn days have faded into hazy memories and I mostly breastfed while half asleep.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Oodles posted:

They’ll turn their nose up at them, and you’ll have wasted those three hours.

I too thought of this possibility. We did a test run with the first batch and she downed 6 of them for dinner. :v: Here's hoping the trend continues.

It's weird because I use pretty much the same filling for wontons and she was not keen on the last batch of wontons. The only variables that were different were the wontons had less veggie in the filling (only pork and chive) and my wonton wrapping skills are significantly worse than my dumpling making skills.

Edit: three, if you count the fact that wontons go in soup but the dumplings are pan-fried. I would normally conclude she doesn't like soup wontons, but she loved the wonton batch before the last one so v:v:v

Hi_Bears posted:

I think you’re supposed to burp after every ounce too. Sorry those newborn days have faded into hazy memories and I mostly breastfed while half asleep.

In some ways breastfeeding is worse if you have oversupply. With a bottle at least you run out, but there were a few times when she just refused to come off, drank to overfull and then spewed everything back up all over the carpet. This is the reason why we're taking the carpet out and replacing it with floorboards.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

laxbro posted:

Try to get a bottle teat that has less flow. Also, try to hold the bottle close to horizontal, so the milk runs up to the hole but does not fill the teat. That way, the baby has less help from gravity and has to work for it a little bit. This also helps a lot if you are breast feeding alongside the bottle, otherwise you run the risk of the baby just getting mad at the breast because it has to work for it's food and not just open it's mouth and let gravity do the work.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Now I want dumplings

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Paced feeding is the most important part thing if you’re not doing it already

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Leng posted:

The only variables that were different were the wontons had less veggie in the filling (only pork and chive) and my wonton wrapping skills are significantly worse than my dumpling making skills.
The only variables outside of you child's RNG. Kids can change from :swoon: to :barf: from one bite to the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Leng posted:

In some ways breastfeeding is worse if you have oversupply. With a bottle at least you run out, but there were a few times when she just refused to come off, drank to overfull and then spewed everything back up all over the carpet. This is the reason why we're taking the carpet out and replacing it with floorboards.

Eek luckily my guy was never that into the boob. Around 6 months I had to convince him to stay on bc he was too curious and wanted to look around, would pull off the boob randomly and I’d spray halfway across the room. Ended up having to only feed him in a dark boring room. Plus side is he was very easy to wean.

I’m ambivalent about breastfeeding my second. I really had no issues the first time around so figure I’ll try it again, but I am jealous of my formula feeding friends who have so much more freedom, can have someone else do middle of the night feedings etc. (I know I can pump but pumping is a bitch and just as time consuming as nursing)