Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Inspector_666 posted:

I feel like single-digit interstates actually sound weird without "The", and I'm a New Yorker.

Which probably helps explain it since we don't have of them. But when I was in Irvine for work and drove up to see my brother in LA, I couldn't help but say "the 5" because just saying "I took 5 up here" sounds really weird.

I would never say "the 495" or "the 95" or "the 90" though, that's totally hosed.

Well no, you'd say "I took I-5 to get here." Or "I-90."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Oddly enough his BABIP this season is nearly 50 points lower than his career average, so maybe it is sustainable?

I had the reverse happen to me. I grew up in Chicago, but when I moved back here after living for 5 years in LA, I called it "the 90" for the first 6 months I was back.

That’s right, I remember you knowing the “ev-ry bo-dy clap yo hands” Dodgers Stadium thing too LOL

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Eh I refuse to pronounce Boise correctly and I've lived here like 4 years now. Locals hate it but I gotta stick to my north Idaho roots where it's pronounced Boi-ze. Supposed to be boi-see.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

Eh I refuse to pronounce Boise correctly and I've lived here like 4 years now. Locals hate it but I gotta stick to my north Idaho roots where it's pronounced Boi-ze. Supposed to be boi-see.

Wait... really? Holy poo poo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

Is this where I come to complain about the Twins losing to a team consisting largely of Former Twins? Because god drat c'MON guys. THE RAYS.

They were just drained from sending the Wolves the good mojo they needed for Saturday

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is good and cool but wow that uniform is hideous :eyepop:

Also gently caress Carlos Gomez

*looks at Josh Hader's stats again*

gently caress him forever

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Senf posted:

Wait... really? Holy poo poo.

Sure is. Idaho is full of people that can't loving pronounce poo poo.

I mean, so is every other state, but Idaho has that ridiculous Sarah Palin accent on top of it.

ninja edit: And I say this as someone born and raised in the Fargo, ND area.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is good and cool but wow that uniform is hideous :eyepop:

lmao those caps were astonishingly bad even by Rays standards.

Also,

NBA: doing super well because young kids like players with personality and style.

MLB: get the gently caress off my lawn.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I've been playing more of the show since I'm laid up after surgery. How do you guys deal with the lovely loving field and baserunning controls? They're so laggy that it takes the player like 2 seconds to respond to the stick and if I let go the moment he starts moving he ends up overrunning every drat time. I have so many outs from overrunning bags and so many errors from him just not running to the ball or overrunning it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I just cannot get over the fact that the long Belt AB was 12:45

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

rickiep00h posted:

I mean, so is every other state, but Idaho has that ridiculous Sarah Palin accent on top of it.

What's up North Dakota brother :hfive:

Dumb Idaho story: I was at a car dealership in Sacramento and the salesman found out I was from North Dakota so I got the full "people like us" racist treatment and a long winded story about how he wants to move to Idaho to escape the Communists in California. He claimed to be an ex navy seal.

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 23, 2018

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Inspector_666 posted:

I feel like single-digit interstates actually sound weird without "The", and I'm a New Yorker.

Which probably helps explain it since we don't have of them. But when I was in Irvine for work and drove up to see my brother in LA, I couldn't help but say "the 5" because just saying "I took 5 up here" sounds really weird.

I would never say "the 495" or "the 95" or "the 90" though, that's totally hosed.

Born in St Louis and living in LA for many years, I only say “the” in front of California freeways. I would never say “The 70” or “the 55”.

I don’t call 170 “the interbelt”, though. I’m not my parents.

Also Dodger Stadium: sometimes it’s no problem to get into, and other times it might as well be in a Orange County. I went to a Cardinals/Dodgers playoff game a few years ago, I left an hour before game time, and I lived in Los Feliz, literally just 4 miles down the street. We didn’t get through the parking gate until the national anthem started, and were subsequently sent in circles around the stadium because every section was full. But we had paid for parking, already, so we kept circling, and no one knew where the open spots were because they weren’t in communication. Halfway through the second inning and we finally got directed to some weird hidden spots behind a fence at the edge of the lot.

So what I’m saying is that it was a typical LA commute.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Epic High Five posted:

As a Hoosier, it's definitely "I-69" for me

Nice.

Sup Hoosier buddy.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

rickiep00h posted:

Is this where I come to complain about the Twins losing to a team consisting largely of Former Twins? Because god drat c'MON guys. THE RAYS.

The Rays started 1-8 and are 5-5 since. Progress! Probably helps that Chirinos rules and they’re not running a goddamn 3-man rotation anymore.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Good Dog posted:

This phrase is enough to know you're not from socal. That's "the 5". :colbert:

Driving to Angels stadium sucks coming from LA or from Orange County just because its rush hour. I'd expect an hour and a half from LA to get to a 7pm game. The 57, 5 and 22 are all really close to the Stadium. Metrolink has a stop in the parking lot so if you're coming from Union Station in LA that's an option, I think its like $10 for a roundtrip ticket on weeknights. OCTA bus system sucks but 50 (Katella Blvd bus) and 57 (State College, Bristol) aren't horrible.

And Angels stadium isn't much newer than Dodgers stadium. 1966 vs 1962. 3rd and 4th oldest stadiums in baseball. The Angels just put up all new video boards this season and have done more renovations recently though.

I’m from Chicago, so I definitely don’t know the highway lingo. I didn’t realize the Angels Stadium was that old, it felt really new.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m from Chicago, so I definitely don’t know the highway lingo. I didn’t realize the Angels Stadium was that old, it felt really new.

It got massively renovated in the late 90s , which added among other things the waterfall in the outfield

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

gently caress baseball, let's talk roads.

Asphalt > gravel IMO but you can't discount a gravel road's character.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Oddly enough his BABIP this season is nearly 50 points lower than his career average, so maybe it is sustainable?

I had the reverse happen to me. I grew up in Chicago, but when I moved back here after living for 5 years in LA, I called it "the 90" for the first 6 months I was back.

Better than the yokels who call it I-90 instead of just 90.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Goodpancakes posted:

What's up North Dakota brother :hfive:

Dumb Idaho story: I was at a car dealership in Sacramento and the salesman found out I was from North Dakota so I got the full "people like us" racist treatment and a long winded story about how he wants to move to Idaho to escape the Communists in California. He claimed to be an ex navy seal.

These fuckers are ruining the state. The Mormons are bad enough but these fuckwads give zero poo poo about the beautiful public lands Idaho has to offer. Plus they all become Boise State fans the second they move here to fit in.

gently caress you poster who brought up Palin. We don't all speak and act like we just smoked a gram of meth.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
70% of the Earth is covered by water.

The other 30% is covered by Albert Almora.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I like how Trout decided to improve his defense in the off-season and now he's already put up 0.6 dWAR. As if he already wasn't the most dangerous man in baseball.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I’m from where Kevlar and Porque call “southern Illinois” and you don’t put a goddamn “the” or “I” in front of the interstate numbers. It’s just 55 or 72. :colbert:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt-tG6ufH90

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Kevyn posted:

That’s some looney toons poo poo

I know I shouldn't but I cannot stop laughing at the helmet 360 - it's straight out of a bugs bunny cartoon

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Miz Kriss posted:

I’m from where Kevlar and Porque call “southern Illinois” and you don’t put a goddamn “the” or “I” in front of the interstate numbers. It’s just 55 or 72. :colbert:

:hfive:

Horseshoe sandwich country represent?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Pancakes posted:

Flatlander

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
What I call "Southern Illinois" is "Anywhere south of I-80".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Javy Baez confirmed that his verbal slapfight with LaMahieu yesterday was over sign-stealing, which is why he kept on standing in front of him and blocking his view to the plate.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

When I was working in Noblesville, Indiana many moons ago, a distressing amount of the populace pronounced chipotle as "chi-poh-tull"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to Chicago in August for an extended weekend. Was thinking of getting Cubs tickets. Anything special I should know? The Padres are in town then.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

marioinblack posted:

Gonna get some spicy hot takes from boring old baseball purists for his celebration.

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/988162883728035840

This will be the highlight of the Rays’ season.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

I'm going to Chicago in August for an extended weekend. Was thinking of getting Cubs tickets. Anything special I should know? The Padres are in town then.

I-90 North = The Kennedy
I-94 North = The Edens
I-290 = The Eisenhower
I-90/94 South = The Dan Ryan

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Pancakes posted:

Hell yea. :hfive: No one I know (myself included) says the sandwich part though.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

cis autodrag posted:

I've been playing more of the show since I'm laid up after surgery. How do you guys deal with the lovely loving field and baserunning controls? They're so laggy that it takes the player like 2 seconds to respond to the stick and if I let go the moment he starts moving he ends up overrunning every drat time. I have so many outs from overrunning bags and so many errors from him just not running to the ball or overrunning it.

It sounds like your playing Road to the show wtih those controls, it just takes time getting a feel for how it plays in the field. Also don't hold up on the stick all the way to the bag, you won't stop running unless you pull the stick back

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
19 years ago, Fernando Tatis did something no one else will likely ever do.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=syFmUVFNRZE

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

seiferguy posted:

Best bang for your buck seats are in the 400s.

Unfortunately, Poque and I are out of town that weekend for a wedding, otherwise it'd be cool to get a drink somewhere, like we did when Inspector_666 was in town. :cheers:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pancakes posted:

19 years ago, Fernando Tatis did something no one else will likely ever do.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=syFmUVFNRZE

Good God he loving smoked them, too. I don't think I've ever seen the video until now.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Unfortunately, Poque and I are out of town that weekend for a wedding, otherwise it'd be cool to get a drink somewhere, like we did when Inspector_666 was in town. :cheers:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 23, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

I switched my fielding controls to buttons instead of analog, it's a lot easier that way. Base running is always kind of wonky but just remember you don't need to hold the stick, it's just a simple flick.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Timby posted:

Javy Baez confirmed that his verbal slapfight with LaMahieu yesterday was over sign-stealing, which is why he kept on standing in front of him and blocking his view to the plate.

LaMahieu is perfectly within his right to attempt to steal signs and Baez is perfectly within his right to stand in front of LaMahieu to block his view. LaMahieu flat-out admitting he was stealing signs was pretty unexpected, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855083

Speaking of travel plans, my thread is up! Please fill it up with good posts about places I've never been to so that I might go to them one day

• Locked thread