Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
You've suffered enough missing out on her videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

KayTee posted:

Thoroughly enjoyed this up until real car stuff started happening and my eyes kinda glazed over.

As a Top Gear fan, I really enjoyed the bit on the Fiat 500 and the '67 Shelby GT500. But I like cars.

Do you like my car?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Depends. Is it a spaceship?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Is it my summer car?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
am I allowed to watch chris stuckmann's videos

he's not in the op so I assume he's like a serial murderer

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's just kind of boring and has a thousand yard stare. Harmless

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I've noticed that in his reviews he tries to take an apolitical approach, which results in his videos being kind of boring, shallow, and insular.

A couple examples so I'm not just saying stuff:
-His review of Death Sentence his briefly brings up the controversy surrounding the movie and then quickly brushes it aside saying that it's just a bad movie.

-His response to critiques of V for Vendetta being fascist in its nature is that people need to separate movies from reality.

I'm not saying he's some alt right advocate, or that he should be burned at the stake. Just one of the reasons I find his reviews so uninteresting.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

KayTee posted:

Thoroughly enjoyed this up until real car stuff started happening and my eyes kinda glazed over.

Does Star Fleet count as an anime? Cos the X=Bomber is the coolest-looking (anime) spaceship little Kay can remember and I think it belongs on a list somewhere. (The other coolest spaceship ever doesn't count :( )

Plenty of great anime spaceships he didn't mention. There's the Yamato, the Arcadia, the Nautilus, the Nadesico, the Gekko-Go, White Base and it's bajillion clones and heirs in Gundam series, the Ryvius, and that's just off the top of my head.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Conal Cochran posted:

I've noticed that in his reviews he tries to take an apolitical approach, which results in his videos being kind of boring, shallow, and insular.

A couple examples so I'm not just saying stuff:
-His review of Death Sentence his briefly brings up the controversy surrounding the movie and then quickly brushes it aside saying that it's just a bad movie.

-His response to critiques of V for Vendetta being fascist in its nature is that people need to separate movies from reality.

I'm not saying he's some alt right advocate, or that he should be burned at the stake. Just one of the reasons I find his reviews so uninteresting.

The typical nerd view of media. It may be part of why so many went down the gamergate drain into nazitown once the economy started failing. But there are plenty of nerds that just curate without thinking and never go near fascism. I’ve recently come to realize that Ernest Cline is such a specimen and that’s probably why I find his book so repulsive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Plenty of great anime spaceships he didn't mention. There's the Yamato, the Arcadia, the Nautilus, the Nadesico, the Gekko-Go, White Base and it's bajillion clones and heirs in Gundam series, the Ryvius, and that's just off the top of my head.

Those aren't really "hero cars" though. They're iconic, but they're not exactly the protagonist's main ride. Mecha was also off the criteria too, save for Veritechs getting a foot in due to being fighters first.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those aren't really "hero cars" though. They're iconic, but they're not exactly the protagonist's main ride. Mecha was also off the criteria too, save for Veritechs getting a foot in due to being fighters first.

Yeah, but the Bebop and Outlaw Star count?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, but the Bebop and Outlaw Star count?

The Bebop was a mention, as was Macross/SDF-1, and the Outlaw Star is flown directly by Gene Starwind like a starfighter in every episode.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Free BravestOfTheLamps

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Battleships don't really count as hero vehicles outside of the Yamato since they're more of a setting most of the time. You want the millennium falcon not Home One.

EDIT. Though I will say that the Albion and the Sparta are way prettier Pegasus class Carriers than the White Base.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 23, 2018

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Free BravestOfTheLamps

You get what you paid for, I guess

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Free BravestOfTheLamps

Make a convincing argument for his freedom, if it sucks you get a sixer

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Junpei Hyde posted:

If it is an open challenge, I accept.

Criticism in its central form is a dispassionate analysis of thematic elements within the text. The inclusion of fandom into criticism has ultimately lead to a lesser and far more toxic form of criticism that ultimately accomplishes little but reinforces cultural insularity.

The notion of "internet critic" has also become vague to the point of being fundamentally irrelevant. Very few internet critics in the list on the OP engage in criticism, including video makers I personally respect and enjoy. For example, I think Kim Justice is an excellent historian and documentarian, but I do not think Kim's quality work is necessarily criticism. (I apologize Kim as I am not aware of your preferred pronouns so I sided on caution)

What I feel BotL does, while admittedly a bit disruptive, is not, at its core, dishonest. BotLs comments are aggressive, but they are also legitimate.

This most recent probation is, in particular, both harsh and unfair if you observe the comments in isolation. Does he have a bad reputation? Surely. However, the comments for which he was probated are not themselves either unreasonable or against the rules of the thread.

Making an argument for an unpopular opinion is not trolling if the argument is honestly constructed. While I disagree with his criticism of MoS and BvS, and would gladly challenge that analysis if he were not probated, I also recognize they are not dishonest.

It seems that much of his negative reputation is built on the response to his arguments rather than the ideas themselves. If you find yourself unable to honestly engage with someone's ideas, they are not at fault for it. He said an obviously controversial opinion, and he you and I know it. However, he was not trolling. His opinion was formulated and justified by legitimate critical theory. It was weakly constructed, but not invalidly constructed.

I argue the thread would be better served reconsidering how they engage with BotL rather than simply banishing him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
mmmm

nah

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

chris stuckman has worn short sleeve shirts over long sleeve shirts in videos produced in the past year.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Groovelord Neato posted:

chris stuckman has worn short sleeve shirts over long sleeve shirts in videos produced in the past year.

is that a fashion faux pau because i do that all the time

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It seems kind of unfair to actively lie in a defense post like Mel is doing. I mean it’s not against the rules technically but seems kind of lovely.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Every time BoTL posted itt it resulted in long derails of the stupidest poo poo. Please god do not bring him back.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It seems kind of unfair to actively lie in a defense post like Mel is doing. I mean it’s not against the rules technically but seems kind of lovely.

What's the lie?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Criticism in its central form is a dispassionate analysis of thematic elements within the text. The inclusion of fandom into criticism has ultimately lead to a lesser and far more toxic form of criticism that ultimately accomplishes little but reinforces cultural insularity.

The notion of "internet critic" has also become vague to the point of being fundamentally irrelevant. Very few internet critics in the list on the OP engage in criticism, including video makers I personally respect and enjoy. For example, I think Kim Justice is an excellent historian and documentarian, but I do not think Kim's quality work is necessarily criticism. (I apologize Kim as I am not aware of your preferred pronouns so I sided on caution)

What I feel BotL does, while admittedly a bit disruptive, is not, at its core, dishonest. BotLs comments are aggressive, but they are also legitimate.

This most recent probation is, in particular, both harsh and unfair if you observe the comments in isolation. Does he have a bad reputation? Surely. However, the comments for which he was probated are not themselves either unreasonable or against the rules of the thread.

Making an argument for an unpopular opinion is not trolling if the argument is honestly constructed. While I disagree with his criticism of MoS and BvS, and would gladly challenge that analysis if he were not probated, I also recognize they are not dishonest.

It seems that much of his negative reputation is built on the response to his arguments rather than the ideas themselves. If you find yourself unable to honestly engage with someone's ideas, they are not at fault for it. He said an obviously controversial opinion, and he you and I know it. However, he was not trolling. His opinion was formulated and justified by legitimate critical theory. It was weakly constructed, but not invalidly constructed.

I argue the thread would be better served reconsidering how they engage with BotL rather than simply banishing him.

he accused me of being a pedophile to deflect from my counterarguments

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tired Moritz posted:

am I allowed to watch chris stuckmann's videos

he's not in the op so I assume he's like a serial murderer
My OP is just a summation of people that where suggested, not some end-all be-all cutoff list. :v:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I know that you are new here but...

quote:

he was not trolling.
. Lol

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Junpei Hyde posted:

Wtf you're busy gonna let him be a rad Ready Player One character? What kind of punishment is that

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

I know that you are new here but...
. Lol

I see trolling as fundamentally dishonest. BotL knows what he says is going to be controversial but he is not deliberately creating ideas explicitly to upset people. His points are valid criticism, they are just controversial and aggressively said.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

rudecyrus posted:

Every time BoTL posted itt it resulted in long derails of the stupidest poo poo. Please god do not bring him back.

I don't think BotL was a good poster, but the thread kind of just does this regardless. Everything negative no matter how dumb gets brought up over and over again for pages while anything positive only warrants a few posts, unless someone finds a way to turn it into a negative thing. Like the discussion after the last Lindsey Ellis video.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What's the lie?

You called his criticism legitimate which is hilarious, said he wasn’t trolling and that people didn’t honestly engage with him.

Literally all of these things are objectively false.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

You called his criticism legitimate which is hilarious, said he wasn’t trolling and that people didn’t honestly engage with him.

What is illegitimate about saying Marvels use of nuclear weapons as a good thing is deeply political and that Zack Snyders attempts to utilize religious imagery are more ambitious in messaging than what the Marvel films do?

I would argue against them, because I think they are ignoring other elements of film criticism, but they are completely valid ideas.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

can you also ban mel from the thread because he is a wretchedly bad poster everywhere he goes

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Junpei Hyde posted:

No way

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What is illegitimate about saying Marvels use of nuclear weapons as a good thing is deeply political and that Zack Snyders attempts to utilize religious imagery are more ambitious in messaging than what the Marvel films do?

I would argue against them, because I think they are ignoring other elements of film criticism, but they are completely valid ideas.

We don’t need a new Lamps so I ain’t engaging with this basic poo poo

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I posted in defense of btol, i deserve a sixer

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

We don’t need a new Lamps so I ain’t engaging with this basic poo poo

See, this is exactly what I mean. Just because it makes you angry doesn't mean it's the persons fault for saying it.

If you do not wish to engage the idea, that's your prerogative. But your comfort with the idea is not the determiner of legitimacy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I don't think BotL was a good poster, but the thread kind of just does this regardless. Everything negative no matter how dumb gets brought up over and over again for pages while anything positive only warrants a few posts, unless someone finds a way to turn it into a negative thing. Like the discussion after the last Lindsey Ellis video.

Why is it so hard to have a constructive discussion at the level of ideas? “Critical” doesn’t mean “find fault with something.” But then it’s so drat hard to just let the dumb posts sink when they’re so transparently bad, like calling Lindsay bossy or whatever. I guess I should just wait it out like I do whenever video games and anime come up.

Certainly we should have the strength of will to just let it go when certain thread-banned posters are mentioned.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ban Mel. Nip this stupid poo poo in the bud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ban Mel. Nip this stupid poo poo in the bud.

Based on what? The mod said defend him and risk a sixer. I like BotLs book barn posts so I figured it was worth risking a sixer.

If I get a sixer I lost and am out and back to TBB.