Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Interesting catch from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/8e56x7/spoilers_speculation_on_whether_this_character/

Looks like the watcher from the Iron Flail will be returning in Deadfire

Edit:

looking through the portrait directory, it also looks like Galvino will be coming back, possibly Verzano.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

Thanks for the writeup! Druid and Monk were actually two of the other classes I considered. Monk has always been one of my favorite fantasy classes, punching stuff is cool and good. Druid I'm a bit more mixed on because I like the shapeshifting aspect but not so much the caster aspect.

Thanks!

Spiritshift is outrageous. Druids turn into the best single target dps class in the game once/fight. When they aren't doing that their spells are good too.

Monks are strong. Great defenses, awesome damage. They do require some micro since they have a lot of abilities to press.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Barbarian is the best class I've played in the game so far. Holy poo poo hitting a front line enemy and watching his wizard and rogue buddies just explode behind him from the hit never gets old. I have a few questions about it though (PoE 1 of course)

Do attacks like Barbaric Strike or whatever or say the amateur sneak attack feat hit the initial target only or does that carry to the rest of the cleave?

Second, does anyone have a good guide for a two handed weapon/DPS focused Barbarian builds? I'm really awful at these games and I think it's cause i'm conflating what I know in older similar games with how things work here and not actually understanding the systems well/what's actually good and I wanna go back and respec if I've borked my class up.

The Carnage AoE in PoE1 inherits pretty much every property the initial strike had, like sneak attacks and on-hit/on-crit properties from your weapon. It has to make a separate roll to hit, and stuff like sneak attack only applies if the stuff in the AoE would be vulnerable to it IIRC. Like it's basically an extra party-friendly weapon attack on anything in range, with a -33% damage penalty slapped on. In the case of Barbaric Blow, it increases the size of the Carnage AoE for that hit and applies the crit bonuses to everything you hit in the AoE, I'm pretty sure.

Building a barbarian around two handers is not super complicated. Statwise you want a lot of might and decent int, like at least 16/14. Pick abilities that let you attack faster, like Bloodlust and Blood Thirst. Keep an eye out for weapons that do cool stuff when you crit- some mid-game shops sell a greatsword or pike that prones on crit, which is outstanding. Get the Heart of Fury ability the moment you hit level 13. Take Savage Defiance and maybe Veteran's Recovery to regenerate loads of health. Its great, by far my favorite class.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I better see a lot of codes this week Obsidian

unless this game is being delayed again

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/8e56x7/spoilers_speculation_on_whether_this_character/

Edit:

looking through the portrait directory, it also looks like Galvino will be coming back, possibly Verzano.

The first two: woo!

The third: not sure who that is

I have to say, one cool thing about all NPCs getting portraits is that a name and face is a lot more memorable than just a name

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

2house2fly posted:

The first two: woo!

The third: not sure who that is

I have to say, one cool thing about all NPCs getting portraits is that a name and face is a lot more memorable than just a name

The guy you can save or not during Pallegina's quest

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Leery of digging through this thread too much because of spoilers but I'm trying to finally beat PoE 1 before the sequel comes out and it looks like the IEmod no longer works with the current version? Just wanted a couple QoL things like fast sneaking and teleports/cheats with achievements. I couldn't get a handle on my old save so I started over and I'm trying to zip through the early game quickly.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
IEMod still works for me in 3.07-- you'll have to run Patchwork Launcher again to create a new assembly-csharp.dll, and apparently injecting custom NPC stats is busted, but it's working fine otherwise.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Your Computer posted:

I'm interested! I like dual-wielding and it's cool that you can multiclass in Deadfire since I was originally thinking that a "rogueish" cipher could be fun. Also, while on the topic of weapons, how early/important is it to take a weapon focus talent? It's one of the things I always dread in these kinds of games because what if I find a super cool weapon that's not the type I specialize in? :v: Same with dual-wielding, I assume if I'm gonna go with that I want the talent pretty soon?
Like Vargs said, respeccing isn't too expensive early on.
But if you're playing a Cipher you can just pick up the Biting and Draining Whip talents early on. Whatever you go with in the end, melee, ranged, two-handed, dual-wielding, those talents will be useful. So I'd say just pick them and experiment with different weapons.

Edit:

Now I might actually have a reason to import a save. Seeing if the game tracks that I murdered Galvino. That man just had to die for the horrible dungeon he called his home.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Cheston posted:

Nope, but the soulbound items are looking good:

There's a dagger you can sacrifice a trusting companion to! It's not even a quest, just a tier of one of the soulbound items you can find.

Wow, using item progress to force you to make moral decisions is a great idea, really could add an actual encouragement/endorsement to 'evil' playthroughs. I don't think I've yet played an RPG that made it look appealing to make evil decisions, it always sounded me like a 'kill everyone you meet and maybe you might break the game' kind of youtubable bullshit. I thought Tyranny would do this well but it really didn't seem to, I just ended up being continuously benevolent.

Might be just my bad (good?) habits though, always picking the nice choices. If Pillars 2 is engineered to make it possible I might try giving it a full roleplay.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Edit:

You missed Caedman Azo, the animancer doing lovely experiments at the sanitarium (rip Gram :( )
Edit: Oh man Kana has a portrait too! That one actually excites me.

Milli fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 23, 2018

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Are there any recommended mods for the first game? Apparently there's one that fixes a bug with the Deadfire pack arbalest, are there any other bugfix mods? Is there a way to slow down xp gain?

(I strongly support including a console command that let's you set a universal xp multiplier for Poe 2.)

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 23, 2018

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

IEmod has a feature that let's you increase the XP needed to level. It's not officially compatible with the latest patch, but it works fine anyway (minus a couple of minor features.)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How many of these previous party members are going to get the BG2 treatment? As in unceremoniously killed off the moment you meet them again like Dynaheir, Khalid, Xzar, Montaron, Safana, Faldorn, Tiax, and Ajantis who most people kill without realizing it's him.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
That bug when your character gets stuck in permanent recovery after getting Immobilized :argh:

Just wiped to Lagufaeth on PotD because of this and ragequit. These loving mages.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Haven't finished all of the beta content but holy poo poo I found a party composition I really like:

* Crusader (Fighter/Paladin Goldpact Knights) for the Aura, the juicy defensive buffs but also Disciplined Barrage and Knockdown.
* Brute (Fighter/Barbarian, no subclass) for the amazing synergies between +Accuracy and Stances with the Barbarian Frenzy and Carnage. But as I feared, swinging Greatswords just feels too slow for me.
* Herald (Paladin/Chanter, Moon Godlike, no subclass) for melee support, another Aura some chants and invocations
* Mystagogue (Cipher/Priest) with Arquebuse for Alpha Strike + Blunderbuss/Pistol + yet another Blunderbuss Pistol. This build is nuts, she's always max Focus, I mostly use her for alpha strikes, Priest buffs and Mental Binding/Eye Strike.
* A Wizard because I like Slicken and Expose Vulnerabilities but she feels very underwhelming compared to the other characters.

I'm kind of roflstomping stuff. Multiclassing is more entertaining than I thought!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Wizards often seem less good than they actually are in Deadfire, I find. It took me a couple of runs to appreciate the variety of Afflictions, targeted defenses etc. they bring, but it's very helpful. Especially since a lot of other classes have huge issues with redundant offensive abilities, Rogues and Chanters for example. I mean, I hope that gets addressed, but right now the versatility of the Wizard is not just nice but also something that other classes can't emulate that easily.

How do you use the Cipher/Priest? Like, just from an order of operations point of view. Shoot from stealth, cast Priest buff(s), then spend Focus? I've never tried a multiclass like that because it just seems like you'd want to do more than you actually have time for.

Furism posted:

That bug when your character gets stuck in permanent recovery after getting Immobilized :argh:

Just wiped to Lagufaeth on PotD because of this and ragequit. These loving mages.
Wait, that happens with other Afflictions than Blinded? I've never noticed it with Immobilized (and I'm very fond of running my guys into my own Binding Web AoEs); I thought the bug was tied specifically to the +100% Recovery penalty Blinded hits you with.

But either way, gently caress Lagufaeth, gently caress Necrotic Lance critting for 80 damage and a DoT on top of that, gently caress Lay on Hands always resolving just before I finally kill one of those Sidewinders, and especially gently caress that bullshit Smoke Bomb. :arghfist::mad:

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
I just finished my first complete run yesterday (finally!). Even if things felt a little disjointed toward the end, I really enjoyed the setting/lore/story/character arcs. I was a little disappointed with the complete lack of difficulty after level 9 or so, though, so I went ahead and started up a new game on PotD. I made it most of the way through the first act last night and it's been very doable but a little slower. I've actually had to burn per-rest abilities on most fights so far and subsequently use my camping items or even backtrack to an inn here or there, which is great. I kind of wish I'd just done PotD from the beginning. I mean, it could have been frustrating with less game knowledge at first, but I wouldn't have had 30ish hours of almost no challenge over the back half of the game.

Which brings me to my question: How many of y'all plan to do PotD for your first play through for Deadfire? If the difficulty curve ends up being like the first game, I think that's where I'll have the most fun. If it ends up being so hard that it's just frustrating and really requires optimal builds/deep system knowledge, it may be better to start on hard or normal so I can just enjoy the story the first time through...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
My plan is to play on Veteran for the first week or two then restart on PoTD once the game gets to feeling "too easy," whenever that happens.

That way I avoid frustration initially and get more play-hours out of the game total.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've got 300 hours in PoE and only just now realized that Wizards are more similar to Sorcerers from BG with their casting mechanics, as in they can cast a limited number of any spell per level, rather than a specific number of each spell. BUT they can also scribe spells like mages; best of both worlds. I realize I'm the only one who didn't know this, but this is awesome and now I want to do some kind of muscle wizard run.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

secret portrait data-mined don't tell anyone

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Battletech releases the day before I leave the country and Deadfire drops the day I get back lord help my pitiful soul.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

frajaq posted:

secret portrait data-mined don't tell anyone

Strong faking game by whoever made that.

My plan is to play on Veteran for the first week or two then restart on PoTD once the game gets to feeling "too easy," whenever that happens.

That way I avoid frustration initially and get more play-hours out of the game total.

I was actually going to play on Veteran, but I've been surprised how good PotD feels in the beta. I never liked it in Pillars. I'm probably going to start on PotD with just critical path scaling.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

This is a little late, but in case you don't like cipher, wizard is a really good choice for a spellblade type. One main difference is that you'll be fighting with summoned weapons from spells instead of gear, but you get a really solid summoned staff right from level one. Later on, you summon a pike that just does batshit crazy amounts of damage, and you can make yourself really, really hard to hit when you need to be, as well as being able to disable basically the entire field almost at will once you the expansions (shadowflame!)
I´ve never reached a very high level as a wizard but how long do you have to stand around just buffing yourself in order to survive melee at higher levels? Just asking since I goddamn loathe prebuffing in CRPG´s since my unfortunate foray into Arcane Knights in Neverwinter Nights 2 .

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

I´ve never reached a very high level as a wizard but how long do you have to stand around just buffing yourself in order to survive melee at higher levels? Just asking since I goddamn loathe prebuffing in CRPG´s since my unfortunate foray into Arcane Knights in Neverwinter Nights 2 .

Prebuffing doesn't exist in PoE, wear armor and you're set

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Prebuffing doesn't exist in PoE, wear armor and you're set

Pretty much that. If you're a melee wizard, you'll still typically want to cast a buff or two before wading in but you can't do that until combat starts obviously. When I do melee wizard I cast a defensive buff (Mirrored Image, Llengrath's whatever, then summon a weapon (Concelhaut's Staff, etc) and then wade in. Takes barely any time at all.

If it's a really tough fight I might cast a few more buffs before actually meleeing but even then it's nothing like NWN2 or Bg. It's just a few spells.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Pre-buffing doesn’t exist but buffing in combat does. I usually had my battlemage buff with Spirit Shield, a weapon summon, and Disciplined Barrage before hopping in. Sometimes I would add Shield of Flames and/or Deleterious Alacrity of Motion.

Most of it was automated through simple custom AI.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ginette Reno posted:

Pretty much that. If you're a melee wizard, you'll still typically want to cast a buff or two before wading in but you can't do that until combat starts obviously. When I do melee wizard I cast a defensive buff (Mirrored Image, Llengrath's whatever, then summon a weapon (Concelhaut's Staff, etc) and then wade in. Takes barely any time at all.

If it's a really tough fight I might cast a few more buffs before actually meleeing but even then it's nothing like NWN2 or Bg. It's just a few spells.

And in Deadfire, you can have even that minimum done automatically by the scripting. My beta wizard nature godlike the Eldritch Aim and Infuse with Vital Essence at the start of every fight (Per, Int, Con inspirations) and I don't even have to think about it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I finished up WM2 yesterday and wowee. I really didnt like the conclusion. I was so irritated by the choice you have to make i broke with what i nornally do and looked up ways to subvert it and thank god there were.

Otherwise the white march is absolutely the best content in PoE1.

I never did cragholdt and i had no idea there was another swampy zone involved in that, so im pretty sure this represents the last bits of content i haven't seen in this game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

I finished up WM2 yesterday and wowee. I really didnt like the conclusion. I was so irritated by the choice you have to make i broke with what i nornally do and looked up ways to subvert it and thank god there were.

I never did cragholdt and i had no idea there was another swampy zone involved in that, so im pretty sure this represents the last bits of content i haven't seen in this game.

Cragholdt is pretty good and so is the swamp zone you get after that. It's two of the harder areas in the game as well although if you've done WM2 already you probably won't find them overly tough.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

With the end of WM2 there is so little wiggle room to getting that third choice.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm really hoping Fighter/Wizard is useful. I hated melee wizard in PoE1, I ended up just holding special magical weapons while doing the same poo poo my wizard in the back was doing.

Druid makes a great spellblade in function, but not in form.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

basic hitler posted:

i've got WM1 & 2 and i was trying to just finish a current character that was mid-act 3 so that i could have a save to import into PoE2. this character had WM1 completed but not done anything for WM2.

so i dash thru the core plot to sun in shadow and finish the game. the ending slides go off and everything is what i would expect until the very end when all the sudden it's telling me that giant monsters hosed up caed nua and then that's the last slide.

queue my WTF face because i don't recall ever seeing that slide before. i go online to check because i'm wondering "did they slip a new slide in for the transition between PoE 1 & 2? is this a teaser for how your watcher gets to the second game"?

nope! turns out that's just the slide you get if you have WM2 installed but haven't done the content. i'd never beaten the game with that particular condition, so it was still something new i'd never seen in like 400 hours of playing PoE1.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I didn't know at first that the WM2 ending choice was potentially a character killer and assumed whoever did it would survive, so I did it myself and died :v:

marshmallow creep posted:

With the end of WM2 there is so little wiggle room to getting that third choice.
I like that but apparently it's insanely buggy too. My characters who've finished WM2 have all just gone with what the Eyeless want anyway, with the exception of the last one who killed them

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I figured there was no harm in letting abydon reform himself. Ondra was acting as a shithead would the entire time. I wanted to wipe the temple out i just lacked the patience to remove the entire high tide from life.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
It's a combination of it sometimes just bugging out and needing some strange choices to argue your point properly to the Eyeless. For example, you could argue against animancy at the hearings, which is something most players don't normally do. You could convince Aloth that it's better to keep things hidden or secret, and use him as an example, again something most players probably wouldn't think to do.

What the Eyeless' final conversation tells me is that sometimes choices can and should be difficult, but there should also be consideration for what a typical player experience will be, in terms of what choices they make in the game and how they carry those forward. Just before that conversation for example, there's the best CYOA section in the game, where basically anyone you brought with you to fight the Kraken can probably contribute in some way to the big dramatic escape from the Eyeless lair, a pretty perfect demonstration of the game's core values: the useful, diverse cast of companions, the sheer number of choices the player can make to affect a more positive outcome, and so on.

It's something I hope Obsidian takes into account, as far as player feedback goes from all the data they most likely got for PoE2.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I like that changing Abydon requires you to actually act like someone who values forgetting things sometimes over the course of the game instead of just giving lip service to the idea at the 11th hour because you read on a wiki that it gives the most idyllic epilogue slide.

That the Eyeless aren’t convinced by someone who doesn’t walk the walk is a good thing.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

I like that changing Abydon requires you to actually act like someone who values forgetting things sometimes over the course of the game instead of just giving lip service to the idea at the 11th hour because you read on a wiki that it gives the most idyllic epilogue slide.

That's great, hope you know beforehand exactly what choices count and how they count beforehand though because its not obvious at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tzarnal posted:

That's great, hope you know beforehand exactly what choices count and how they count beforehand though because its not obvious at all.

Why does it need to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Quick question: which stats should I focus on for a Chanter wielding a 2-handed axe? I want to finish the whole thing to have a savegame for Deadfire.

• Locked thread