Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Theres also a skill you can spend exp points on that increases your chances of enemies dropping cash/loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe

SiKboy posted:

Theres also a skill you can spend exp points on that increases your chances of enemies dropping cash/loot.

good looking out. i'll watch for it.

edit: just found it actually. it's definitely tucked away. so much to get used to with this game

lamey_whinehouse has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Apr 21, 2018

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I playing Yakuza 0, and the Fantasy Zone completion score is killing me. I hate Fantasy Zone so, so much. None of the other arcade games took more than a few tries for me.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Yeah I hated that one. Old arcade games are just loving terrible. I don't even know if there's any real strategy other than buying the best engine ASAP and learning the enemy attack patterns

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah I hated that one. Old arcade games are just loving terrible. I don't even know if there's any real strategy other than buying the best engine ASAP and learning the enemy attack patterns

That's pretty much where I'm at, but bleh. It just feels too easy to accidentally run into stuff vs more shmups I've played.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I love roguelikes and in theory like a lot of what FTL does but I just get bored or frustrated after a few runs. Too much annoying poo poo I dunno

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While I'm enjoying Creature from the Krusty Krab a bunch, there were too many of Plankton's levels given how simple his mechanics were - they were varied, yes and fairly fun too, but after a while I grew tired of holding right and jumping. Happily I'm through that part now though, and the level after that segment was pretty fun. Also Plankton's dream actually made me laugh out loud during it's opening - been a long time since Spongebob was actually funny.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Agent355 posted:

Into the breach is good and it sounds like you need to get good.

I managed to clear to the end near flawlessly, but the last stage is just a gauntlet of garbage. I have no particular desire to replay the game at all if I'm going to have to do that every time. At least it felt rewarding when you were finally able to take down the flag ship through it's bullshit FTL. With this game it's just endless amounts of bugs and increasingly RNG based ways to gently caress up your chances to win.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's a 2 stage level where you're allowed to get real sloppy and the benefit of doing well up until then is you effectively start with more poo poo you can sacrifice and still finish. I'm not sure I've ever had a run be ruined by the boss island that wasn't also on it's final legs already.

I'm not even trying to be snide but I really really don't know what you're talking about.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

Loving Far Cry 4, but goddamnit game, I do not want the car radio on. I especially do not want it on in a car I got out of ten seconds ago where I'd already switched the loving thing off. On the plus side, there's no radio in the tiny helicopters, so I can fly around grenading people like an own brand Airwolf in peace and quiet.

It's funny how this is opposite in 5. They have an amazing licensed and original soundtrack on the car radios but you don't get to listen to it enough.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

lamey_whinehouse posted:

good looking out. i'll watch for it.

edit: just found it actually. it's definitely tucked away. so much to get used to with this game

I have no idea how effective the skill is, as none of the skills give you actual information. Its all "increases strength XP gain" or "increases loot dropped by enemies", so you have no actual way of knowing which skills are worth the XP investment. Give me a % or something, so I know if its worth dropping 80 of every type of XP when I am always painfully short of Technique XP! That way I could at least estimate if the skill will eventually pay for itself.

However, I was chronically short of money (having bought a child a photo of Haruko for 50K, more than half the cash I had on hand), saw the "Increase money dropped" skill, bought level one and within 5 minutes a random fight had dropped about 60K on me in one go. However, I have no idea what effect the skill had on that. Its possible that without the skill that wouldnt have dropped at all, or that it would have been a smaller amount of money by some amount (again, without the skill would have I have got 10K or 59K?), but then its possible that it was just a RNG thing and I would have got the same amount from the same fight regardless. Like the drinks that increase a certain type of XP gain, I've chugged one and then in the next fight only gained 1 point of that XP, so presumably its a percentage increase?

It is a minor thing dragging down yakuza 6 for me (I am still absolutely loving the game). In the long run it doesnt matter because the game does throw skill points and money at you fairly often, so if it turns out that some of these skills are sub optimal picks it doesn't matter as I'll probably pretty much max out everything anyway. As for money, because in this game there isnt any investment type activities (that I've seen anyway) and you cant buy weapons (the black market is actually very lackluster) once you have enough money to keep yourself stocked up on healing items and enjoying some delicious looking meals, money becomes fairly irrelevant. Once I had a few hundred K I didnt need to worry that I burn through all my money on the puyo poyu arcade machine.

As I'm complaining about a game I enjoy, heres another few minor complaints: I preferred the skill/XP system in 0. As lamey_whinehouse intimated, there is a LOT going on in Y6, you get 5 different types of XP to spend across 4 menus, each menu is a big list you have to scroll, its easy to miss things. Some things are greyed out because you dont have high enough stats, some because you dont have the prerequisite skill, some because you dont have enough of one or more of the types of XP. Not a massive deal when you get used to it, but I loved the elegant simplicity of "Money is XP, XP is money" in Zero. The combat is good, but again, I preferred the multiple styles of Zero and Kiwami, it feels like there is slightly less variety in the heat moves in Y6 (although many of the ones that are there are in fact hilarious). Its also a bit easier than zero and Kiwami, I'm on about chapter 10 and I think I've only needed to use a health item in about 4 fights total? All of them boss fights. Now, I dont miss the MASSIVE difficulty spikes that zero and kiwami had (honest to god the very first boss in zero nearly had me quitting the game because I hadn't got a grip of the combat at that point and hadnt known enough to go buy some health items before continuing the story) but the bosses could do with being a bit tougher.

Oh, and a lot of stuff that definitely would have been s short sub story in a previous game is now in the "Troublr" app in the game, which is fine, its a funny little thing. Except the time limits on some of them are quite short between getting the alert and it being too late. So you get a message saying "some creeps are harassing women outside millennium tower", you accept the alert, head in that direction, but if you walk into a couple of random encounters, or got forbid a cutscene initiating and actual sub story, then you get another alert guilting you for not saving the person in time. Again, not a massive deal, the ones you fail will cycle round again, but still annoying.

There are claw machines in the batting centre, but unlike the ones in Zero, they arent playable. What the hell game? Okay, that one is super super minor. The game is still great, but for me it could have been *slightly* greater.

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe

SiKboy posted:

I have no idea how effective the skill is, as none of the skills give you actual information. Its all "increases strength XP gain" or "increases loot dropped by enemies", so you have no actual way of knowing which skills are worth the XP investment. Give me a % or something, so I know if its worth dropping 80 of every type of XP when I am always painfully short of Technique XP! That way I could at least estimate if the skill will eventually pay for itself.

However, I was chronically short of money (having bought a child a photo of Haruko for 50K, more than half the cash I had on hand), saw the "Increase money dropped" skill, bought level one and within 5 minutes a random fight had dropped about 60K on me in one go. However, I have no idea what effect the skill had on that. Its possible that without the skill that wouldnt have dropped at all, or that it would have been a smaller amount of money by some amount (again, without the skill would have I have got 10K or 59K?), but then its possible that it was just a RNG thing and I would have got the same amount from the same fight regardless. Like the drinks that increase a certain type of XP gain, I've chugged one and then in the next fight only gained 1 point of that XP, so presumably its a percentage increase?

It is a minor thing dragging down yakuza 6 for me (I am still absolutely loving the game). In the long run it doesnt matter because the game does throw skill points and money at you fairly often, so if it turns out that some of these skills are sub optimal picks it doesn't matter as I'll probably pretty much max out everything anyway. As for money, because in this game there isnt any investment type activities (that I've seen anyway) and you cant buy weapons (the black market is actually very lackluster) once you have enough money to keep yourself stocked up on healing items and enjoying some delicious looking meals, money becomes fairly irrelevant. Once I had a few hundred K I didnt need to worry that I burn through all my money on the puyo poyu arcade machine.

As I'm complaining about a game I enjoy, heres another few minor complaints: I preferred the skill/XP system in 0. As lamey_whinehouse intimated, there is a LOT going on in Y6, you get 5 different types of XP to spend across 4 menus, each menu is a big list you have to scroll, its easy to miss things. Some things are greyed out because you dont have high enough stats, some because you dont have the prerequisite skill, some because you dont have enough of one or more of the types of XP. Not a massive deal when you get used to it, but I loved the elegant simplicity of "Money is XP, XP is money" in Zero. The combat is good, but again, I preferred the multiple styles of Zero and Kiwami, it feels like there is slightly less variety in the heat moves in Y6 (although many of the ones that are there are in fact hilarious). Its also a bit easier than zero and Kiwami, I'm on about chapter 10 and I think I've only needed to use a health item in about 4 fights total? All of them boss fights. Now, I dont miss the MASSIVE difficulty spikes that zero and kiwami had (honest to god the very first boss in zero nearly had me quitting the game because I hadn't got a grip of the combat at that point and hadnt known enough to go buy some health items before continuing the story) but the bosses could do with being a bit tougher.

Oh, and a lot of stuff that definitely would have been s short sub story in a previous game is now in the "Troublr" app in the game, which is fine, its a funny little thing. Except the time limits on some of them are quite short between getting the alert and it being too late. So you get a message saying "some creeps are harassing women outside millennium tower", you accept the alert, head in that direction, but if you walk into a couple of random encounters, or got forbid a cutscene initiating and actual sub story, then you get another alert guilting you for not saving the person in time. Again, not a massive deal, the ones you fail will cycle round again, but still annoying.

There are claw machines in the batting centre, but unlike the ones in Zero, they arent playable. What the hell game? Okay, that one is super super minor. The game is still great, but for me it could have been *slightly* greater.

Yeah, they definitely took a mini-JRPG route with this game. Which, that's fine. And what? The claw machines aren't playable what the gently caress. There was a whole substory about claw machines in 0

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe
another little thing I'm not fond of. the game doesn't pause when you take screenshots. and there are ALWAYS a lot of screenshottable moments in a Yakuza game

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

my biggest complaint with yakuza 6 is that they give me a way to take selfies but forbid me from taking em in combat

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SiKboy posted:

You probably are not gonna be happy to hear that you can get that Haruka photo for free.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You probably are not gonna be happy to hear that you can get that Haruka photo for free.

Motherfucker... How? Not that it matters now, by this point I'm swimming in cash anyway, but just for curiosities sake.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So I decided to play the Sly Cooper games (well, at least the first three). The first hub-world and levels in Sly 1 aren't bad, good variety of level gimmicks, only real headache was the submarine mini-game, where you have to shoot chests to collect them and shoot crabs to stop them from carrying the chests away and every time they grab a chest, it seems to reset the chests health.

The second hubworld and stages... I'm really hoping that they wanted to get "poo poo level design" out of the way early. A sidescrolling-esqe stage where one of the collectables is placed just outside of the area you can reach, so you have to attack it to collect it while bouncing off of one-use platforms that only reset when you die. A hub-world where it's easy to accidentally trigger the enemies with homing ranged attacks after leaving some of the hubs because you thought the hub acted the same way as the first hub, and removed the guard closest to the entrance. A racing minigame with very floaty controls and very little traction. A minigame where you're protecting your partner with a long-range gun and one shot from you will kill him (He can take multiple hits from enemies and stage hazards, but one shot from you is enough to kill him). And to top it all off, a boss that, when you first fight him, starts off closer to you than he's supposed to (I'm assuming, as every time you fight him after he starts at the far end of the arena) and can and will just pull out his guns and shoot you before you can figure out where you can and can't go. His bullets either sometimes clip through the edges of the crystals you hide behind/shine lights into, or Sly's tail is also part of his hitbox (which means that you're twice as long as you would expect). And to top it all off, the final part of the boss requires jumping on tiny platforms that you use a special move to latch onto, except that the special move sometimes doesn't want to register the platform and you fall to your death. It was a bit of a surprise of how solid the first hub and stages were only to come in to a pile of odd and poor design choices.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SiKboy posted:

Motherfucker... How? Not that it matters now, by this point I'm swimming in cash anyway, but just for curiosities sake.

If you don’t buy it the first time when you go to the pawn shop, when you go a second time it’s been bought by someone who’s being accosted by thugs. Beat em up and he gives it to you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The levels are interesting and the combat is... something, but god the battlecat sections in HeMan: Defender of Grayskull are totally untested - I've clipped through scenery multiple times in the Evergreen Forest, which is annoying because it's interesting scenery than I'm enjoying exploring. I'm just looking forward to getting off the mount so that the game stabilizes again.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you don’t buy it the first time when you go to the pawn shop, when you go a second time it’s been bought by someone who’s being accosted by thugs. Beat em up and he gives it to you.

Fuuuuck... I thought it was just priced so high because you were intended to do that sub story after you had more cash (or that the reward would be worth more than that). Not a major issue, as I say I recouped the money pretty quickly, but would have been nice to realise that at the time!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

New God of War is very entertaining but it quickly enters a point where I'm just :rolleyes: at having to do puzzles or not being able to jump up to a ledge that's higher than your arms can reach. It's just like those Dragon Ball Z rpgs like Legacy of Goku or Attack of the Saiyans where the question of 'Why do I have to do any of this, when we can all fly?' just seems to get largely ignored.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Here's one from Divinity: Original Sin 2 that pretty much killed it for me. It's pretty late in the game, so I'm wrapping it in spoiler tags.

Toward the end of the game, you come across an impish pocket dimension, with imps being the clockwork inventor goblins of the setting. The pocket dimension is a puzzle dungeon in which switches need to be pressed, either by party placement or throwing boxes onto them, to open doors. The lovely part is that there is a constant slow effect applied to your party for the duration of the dungeon. Considering the characters move so slowly that I was alt+tabbing out of the game if I had to have them travel any real distance, having them move at half speed through an entire dungeon is painful.

Whoever thought that was a good idea, especially so late in the game when players' enthusiasm is already starting to flag, really didn't think this one through.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Divinity OS2 is already slow as poo poo which is why I put it down early.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

More game need a fast forward button like Pillars of Eternity. And I'd argue the base speed even in PoE needs to be higher. But at least the in-game reduce speed effect only apply in combat, so if someone has move penalty armor on they don't drag behind when you are running around the regular map.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
What is it with Squad based games of having your speed be a crawl?
I've been replaying Wasteland 2, and the combination of the glacial move speed, large trap radius and minimal trap check radius makes efficient movement impossible. Some maps can take multiple minutes to traverse, so I check out, and my team stumbles into a minefield I somehow missed the last three times, and half of them get loving exploded.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Post poste posted:

What is it with Squad based games of having your speed be a crawl?
I've been replaying Wasteland 2, and the combination of the glacial move speed, large trap radius and minimal trap check radius makes efficient movement impossible. Some maps can take multiple minutes to traverse, so I check out, and my team stumbles into a minefield I somehow missed the last three times, and half of them get loving exploded.

because that's how it was in the old days

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The whole experience made me appreciate Spiderweb Software's take on character movement in its earlier games. Since Spiderweb Software is one guy with better poo poo to do than make walking animations, the party teleports to where you clicked so long as there isn't an obstacle in the way. The games with actual running animations makes the characters move at a pretty quick pace.

My rule going forward is going to be that if a game routinely expects me to sit for longer than a minute while my character moves from its starting point to another point on the map with nothing to make that time interesting, I'm putting it down. It's one thing in an effective horror game to use slow movement speed to heighten the tension, or for a game to have a big set piece in the background to show off, but if I'm just trying to get characters from point A to point B, then, gently caress it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Brother Entropy posted:

because that's how it was in the old days

I sunk about twelve hours into Wasteland 2, restarting once, before realizing what an unpleasant slog it was becoming. Like the first few hours/missions are genuinely entertaining, for the most part, but the mechanics are hot garbage and the game just.... never becomes anything better than meh.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I got WL2 for free with a bundle or possible another Kickstarter game I backed, and I'm glad I didn't pay for it. I was in the first fight (literally the first gunfight you get into) and the gun for my main rifleman jammed, and I didn't seem to have way of clearing it, and I got reamed. Quit to desktop and never went back.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I get too stressed in any Bethesda game with regards to having companions following me, and I blame this entirely on Morrowind. That game taught me that if you ever have a dude following me for whatever reason (usually a quest or something), you have to be drat sure to look over your shoulder a lot to ensure that he or she didn't get stuck somewhere, or have a conniption fit if you decided to go anywhere other than the flattest of roads. I still have memories of some Morrowind quest asking me to escort an NPC to a temple, or something, and halfway up a mountainside the NPC had skeddaddled off to god-knows-where.

It's really frustrating because those things (generally) didn't happen in later games Bethesda made, but it's one of those things I cannot for the life of me unlearn. Yes, I suppose I don't have to worry as much about Lydia stomping behind me but wait wait look back there she might be gone and you'll have to reload

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Memento posted:

I got WL2 for free with a bundle or possible another Kickstarter game I backed, and I'm glad I didn't pay for it. I was in the first fight (literally the first gunfight you get into) and the gun for my main rifleman jammed, and I didn't seem to have way of clearing it, and I got reamed. Quit to desktop and never went back.

It is much more fun if you cheat considerably, I think, and you can just edit single file with notepad or notepad++ to give yourself any stats or items you like. There are some amusing moments in it. Not saying go back, but if you do, cheat first.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Dungreed is great but the mouse control breaks the 180 degree rule during room transitions and it's also where your dash targets. Bad separation of concerns there, game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes: LETS RESPAWN SOLDIERS WHERE YOU JUST CLEARED THEM OUT. OH AND NOW EVERYONE HAS TANKS. Okay you made it TO THE CHOPPAH we'll kill Paz just as you get on board, because gently caress you. Oh, you died? Wait 'til you see where we respawn you: FUCKEDVILLE, Population: You.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I get too stressed in any Bethesda game with regards to having companions following me, and I blame this entirely on Morrowind. That game taught me that if you ever have a dude following me for whatever reason (usually a quest or something), you have to be drat sure to look over your shoulder a lot to ensure that he or she didn't get stuck somewhere, or have a conniption fit if you decided to go anywhere other than the flattest of roads. I still have memories of some Morrowind quest asking me to escort an NPC to a temple, or something, and halfway up a mountainside the NPC had skeddaddled off to god-knows-where.

It's really frustrating because those things (generally) didn't happen in later games Bethesda made, but it's one of those things I cannot for the life of me unlearn. Yes, I suppose I don't have to worry as much about Lydia stomping behind me but wait wait look back there she might be gone and you'll have to reload

That's one of those things about Morrowind that drives you completely prodromal and you only realise how deep an effect it had ten years later, like quicksaving every 20 seconds including on completion of a successful quicksave

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
*Quicksave because I finished something*
*Think about what I'm doing next*
*Decide what I'm doing next*
*Quicksave because I'm about to start something*

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Agents are GO! posted:

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes: LETS RESPAWN SOLDIERS WHERE YOU JUST CLEARED THEM OUT. OH AND NOW EVERYONE HAS TANKS. Okay you made it TO THE CHOPPAH we'll kill Paz just as you get on board, because gently caress you. Oh, you died? Wait 'til you see where we respawn you: FUCKEDVILLE, Population: You.

In Phantom Pain there is a cap on how many guards are in a zone, no monster-closets here. Also 99 percent of the people are fultoned directly. If anything the game is too easy to beat using a boring, conservative method.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In Phantom Pain there is a cap on how many guards are in a zone, no monster-closets here. Also 99 percent of the people are fultoned directly. If anything the game is too easy to beat using a boring, conservative method.

Yeah, Im waiting on my steam code for PP. Humble store ran out twice and hasnt restocked. MGS3 also had zone caps so you could rambo through. So far GS just restocks guards every time Snake scratches his rear end. Also somehow replaces anti-air emplacments in minutes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Twelve is just the worst in Street Fighter III: Third Strike - maybe one of the worst SF characters ever.

He does a crappy amount of damage, has terrible super arts, makes annoying sounds and basically feels like a Darkstalkers character in the wrong game. I've been trying to clear arcade mode with him on normal difficulty and it's just an enormous loving pain.

I mean, he's animated nicely - but so is everyone else in SF3.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Take Laura back and give me Twelve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Agents are GO! posted:

I never beat Ground Zeroes because getting to Paz was a giant pain in the rear end in itself, then I died during the escape and it respawned me right in front of a tank, which would shell me instantly. gently caress it.