Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

get that OUT of my face posted:

i want to volunteer for the guy who's challenging Felder in the primary. his district starts on the south side of the street i live on. it's obviously deliberate because when you walk down there, the amount of orthodox jews living in the houses there increases dramatically. you can still see some occasional bangladeshis and a fair amount of uzbeks, but they're not taken into account for the blatant gerrymandering

Several of (((my friends and I))) :v: wanna volunteer too but he's not really responding to direct questions about what he's doing to work with the various Jewish communities in his district, which Jewish reform organizations he'd willing to ally with, etc, and is instead blithely carrying on as if he can win the district if only the non-Jewish votes all turn out for him, which is, uh, precious. :geno:

The repetitive "Felder bad! Orthodox communities vote bad!" thing is going to get warped into some poo poo that Felder can and will exploit, especially if existing ethnic tensions in the district get whipped up by quixotic amateur hour blue wave folks. Just ignoring frum interests is easy to turn against Morris if all of his materials look like he's envisioning a Jew-free district.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
What's Ari Espinal's deal, looks like she's unopposed in the 39th district

I think she's Queens-machine backed based on the mailers I've gotten

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/nycDSA/status/988485485252235264

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/988491681132634113

:3:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Sick.

Also, she really needs to put the primary date in huge font at the top of her site, nobody knows when these off-season elections fall.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GalacticAcid posted:

Sick.

Also, she really needs to put the primary date in huge font at the top of her site, nobody knows when these off-season elections fall.

there really needs to just be a generic "THIS DAY YOU VOTE" tag at hte front of any and all election related media because it's not impossible to search up but holy poo poo is it a pain in the rear end in this dumb idiot state

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/sarahljaffe/status/988506400883126272?s=19

hhhghhgggggfgghgh

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

lmfao

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I just have to laugh, because there is no hope things will get better anytime soon.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/CityAndStateNY/status/988611824282226688

Did she stutter?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I had a special election today. Ari Espinal was alone on the ballot for state Assembly so I cast a vote on the Working Families line.

She might have a challenger in September, Catalina Cruz. More on that here.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Hey by the way the dems in the race here are... pretty upset that Cuomo brought this up. The only one left supports medicare for all, legalization of marijuana with amnesty, and says stuff about holding drug companies to account for the fact they loving started the 2nd heroin epidemic. Cuomo butts in and says YEAH MY LT GOV. CAN PROBABLY WIN THERE instead of... supporting the candidate already there.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

wow I'm so completely shocked that this happened

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Several of (((my friends and I))) :v: wanna volunteer too but he's not really responding to direct questions about what he's doing to work with the various Jewish communities in his district, which Jewish reform organizations he'd willing to ally with, etc, and is instead blithely carrying on as if he can win the district if only the non-Jewish votes all turn out for him, which is, uh, precious. :geno:

The repetitive "Felder bad! Orthodox communities vote bad!" thing is going to get warped into some poo poo that Felder can and will exploit, especially if existing ethnic tensions in the district get whipped up by quixotic amateur hour blue wave folks. Just ignoring frum interests is easy to turn against Morris if all of his materials look like he's envisioning a Jew-free district.
That's unfortunate and also unrealistic. You could probably make hay of the fact that Felder is essentially a Republican (he announced as such as of today) in a very poor district (Borough Park is very slightly poorer than East New York). There are definitely more than just Orthodox Jews in his district, but they're the ones that show up in droves.

Grondoth posted:

Hey by the way the dems in the race here are... pretty upset that Cuomo brought this up. The only one left supports medicare for all, legalization of marijuana with amnesty, and says stuff about holding drug companies to account for the fact they loving started the 2nd heroin epidemic. Cuomo butts in and says YEAH MY LT GOV. CAN PROBABLY WIN THERE instead of... supporting the candidate already there.
D-Trip types love meddling in the primaries by picking winners and losers. They've already done that in Katko's district by recruiting Juanita Perez Williams- yet another Blue Dog veteran that fits the party braintrust's mold perfectly- at the last second. It might be too late to get Hochul in, though, because the petition deadline has already passed.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

a dem won in Suffolk county :stare:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
She keeps saying she doesn't want to run there. He's managing to both sabotage the dem who does want to run there and undermine his own running-mate, a woman, when two women are competing with him in the dem primaries. If this were golf I'd say he's taking a handicap. Which, you know, fine if it's his own funeral, but gently caress him if we lose a Congressional district over it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

two other seats flipped red-to-blue as well, and Mayer won her senate race by a big margin for a swing district. i'm going to call Felder's office tomorrow to call him a piece of poo poo, though i may or may not be more elegant

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Apr 25, 2018

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/988966011532693504

thanks matty

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

get that OUT of my face posted:

That's unfortunate and also unrealistic. You could probably make hay of the fact that Felder is essentially a Republican (he announced as such as of today) in a very poor district (Borough Park is very slightly poorer than East New York). There are definitely more than just Orthodox Jews in his district, but they're the ones that show up in droves.

If the non-frum voters turned out in force, especially motivated by Felder's announcement today, then Morris will absolutely have a chance. I think that maybe the voters need to see that they have a chance if they show up. Maybe some people don't know that Felder could get deposed, that it is not at all an issue of, "If we get rid of Felder that means a Republican will take over and be ten times worse!!", or whatever other naive or ignorant beliefs people have about the political processes we're trying to carry through on.

The bloc vote is not invincible, so it's really frustrating to see this looking kinda like an East Ramapo situation where opposition is not educating or organizing well enough to use their power. Like... One of the actions described with the most conspiratorial tone is how hasidic bloc organization includes busing people in to polling sites. If other District 17 communities would organize transit and childcare for registered voters then they'd be exploiting the same basic tactic of mobilizing tons of votes through a little communication, which is much easier in a more closeknit community but not some supernatural skill or nefarious deed.

If Morris is unable to unseat Felder this year he needs to keep trying and keep building ties to take into repeat attempts. The 'blue wave' voters, as riled up as they are, probably can't carry him if the everyday people of his district don't also rally to make sure that their neighbors have the same access to voting that makes bloc votes possible. Morris could be more active in aligning himself with existing community movements and Jewish organizations to show that he will be voting in the ways that mean continuing a stable life for frum, heimishe families, since that means far more to chipping away at the bloc than any Red vs. Blue labeling fight.

The dude needs a ton of help and experience to pull this off and I still wanna volunteer some time and energy in to what I currently see as an unrealistic but well-meaning attempt. :sigh:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Matt Zerella posted:

I don't entirely understand why Suffolk is so relatively red, I've had locals try and explain it to me before but man I still don't get it.
Staten I get, but Suffolk?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grape posted:

I don't entirely understand why Suffolk is so relatively red, I've had locals try and explain it to me before but man I still don't get it.

FYGM, White Flight, etc.

Whats not to get?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

CaptainPsyko posted:

FYGM, White Flight, etc.

Whats not to get?

White as heck wealthy suburban zones in other directions from the city aren't as red, or are even blue though.
Like Westchester and Fairfield counties.
Don't get me wrong, there's loads of lovely upper class business republicans in both, but I dunno. Suffolk just seems way more intense about it all.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
i grew up in suffolk county. there are good people but also a fuckload of fox news dentists and fygm finance types so you either get a deece democrat (like Tim Bishop, who was Ny-1 congressman for a decade) or complete loving batshit republicans.

I think there are some racial aspects of it too. IIRC Suffolk is one of the most segregated and unequal areas of the country and it's really blatant. For example: there were like 2 black kids in my high school of ~400. other schools we competed in sports against were the opposite. Our school spent a billion dollars on a brand new rubber track and football field and tennis courts. Black schools we competed against had a dirt track or nothing at all. :thunk:

Imo, living in that level of segregation and inequality makes people even more racist. the ms13 poo poo probably plays really well there.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Grape posted:

Long Island and Staten Island are fundamentally the same

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
also, every year we had school sprit week where each day would have a different theme for stuff to wear or display like "purple hat day" or whatever. one year, we had a "ghetto day", where everybody showed up in like du-rags and gold chains. This was an official school sanctioned event and even the teachers participated.

white enclaves on long island can be pretty ignorant and racist

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

as another ex Suffolk person, I can confirm all of this.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grape posted:

White as heck wealthy suburban zones in other directions from the city aren't as red, or are even blue though.
Like Westchester and Fairfield counties.
Don't get me wrong, there's loads of lovely upper class business republicans in both, but I dunno. Suffolk just seems way more intense about it all.

Suffolk is a lot less wealthy han Fairfield/Westchester and its also a very different type of wealth, north shore enclaves and Hamptons notwithstanding.

Like, Suffolk is absolutely prototypical trump country. White folks who fled from cities 50 years ago with all of their wealth tied up in a property that their income now would never let them afford, highly paid (often non-union) blue collar business owner types (think plumbers, electricians), and all around deeply racist.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

CaptainPsyko posted:

Suffolk is a lot less wealthy han Fairfield/Westchester and its also a very different type of wealth, north shore enclaves and Hamptons notwithstanding.

Like, Suffolk is absolutely prototypical trump country. White folks who fled from cities 50 years ago with all of their wealth tied up in a property that their income now would never let them afford, highly paid (often non-union) blue collar business owner types (think plumbers, electricians), and all around deeply racist.

Ah, I think I just assumed it was rich white collar (like Westchester and Fairfield).
So I guess it's just Staten East after all.

Probably also helps that both those counties have multiple cities in them(Yonkers, New Rochelle, Stamford, Bridgeport and so on) whereas.... uh NY state town organization confuses me but Suffolk doesn't have any proper urban areas? I think?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Speaking of Borough Park politics: good riddance, Dov Hikind.

I think Suffolk County has a registration advantage for Democrats, or at the very least has more Dems in county government than Republicans. Nassau definitely has more registered Dems but is more red on the local and county level. It feels like Long Island feels more right-wing as a whole than Westchester and New Jersey.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

the other thing about Suffolk vs Westchester/Fairfield is that the latter are both anchored by poorer, lower-class cities (Yonkers and Bridgeport) whereas aiui Suffolk doesn't really have that to balance out the lovely conservative suburbs

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

majormonotone posted:

the other thing about Suffolk vs Westchester/Fairfield is that the latter are both anchored by poorer, lower-class cities (Yonkers and Bridgeport) whereas aiui Suffolk doesn't really have that to balance out the lovely conservative suburbs

Maybe so, but even outside the cities in West/Fair you had most places going blue in 2016 for instance.
I think it more comes down to the difference between well off business conservatives vs working to middle class identity conservatives.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

majormonotone posted:

I went to school at Stony Brook. I recall one of my physics professors telling an anecdote about how the bridges were purposefully built too low to have buses come out to the eastern parts of the island, to keep "certain people" in the city. My lasting impression of Long Island was that it was a highway with a strip mall on either side.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Aurubin posted:

I went to school at Stony Brook. I recall one of my physics professors telling an anecdote about how the bridges were purposefully built too low to have buses come out to the eastern parts of the island, to keep "certain people" in the city. My lasting impression of Long Island was that it was a highway with a strip mall on either side.

yeah robert moses made busses incapable of traveling on the parkway system cause blacks

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Bernlennials/status/989302412879032322

:cripes:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
@bernlennials

lol

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

advocata millenialium

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I just went back and checked and Obama carried Suffolk in 08 and 12 but Trump won by way more in 2016 :lol:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Aurubin posted:

It was more to keep them off of the beaches tbqh.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Uranium posted:

advocata millenialium

This has to be Russian, right? Or is it just parody?

Is this the modern addendum to Poe's Law? Extreme views are indistinguishable from parodies are indistinguishable from foreign intelligence operations?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Okay, this one's pretty darn blatant:

https://twitter.com/travis_robert/status/988488482510295041

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

speaking of Suffolk county they've had a plastic bag ban for a little while now and it's good.