Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT5JfLaUb4I

Something something not a regular car. A fun drinking game is to count the aftermarket accessories.

At least it's not an LS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

BOTL should stay gone. Nothing but constant, irrelevant pages-long derails and flamewars resulted from him being here - he contributed absolutely nothing to the thread but poo poo, and it was so frequent to boot. He would *always* be fishing for it with every post he made and when someone inevitably took the bait the result would gently caress the whole thread up. The threadban is cumulative and has clearly been building up for months now...so y'know, if you like his posts in TBB or CD or whatever then please - feel free to keep reading him there. I'm quite sure he'll cope. But no one wants him here.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

is that a fashion faux pau because i do that all the time

it's been out of style since 1999.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

See, this is exactly what I mean. Just because it makes you angry doesn't mean it's the persons fault for saying it.

If you do not wish to engage the idea, that's your prerogative. But your comfort with the idea is not the determiner of legitimacy.

Botl is 100% a troll but a good one because he is effective

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If it is an open challenge, I accept.

Criticism in its central form is a dispassionate analysis of thematic elements within the text. The inclusion of fandom into criticism has ultimately lead to a lesser and far more toxic form of criticism that ultimately accomplishes little but reinforces cultural insularity.

The notion of "internet critic" has also become vague to the point of being fundamentally irrelevant. Very few internet critics in the list on the OP engage in criticism, including video makers I personally respect and enjoy. For example, I think Kim Justice is an excellent historian and documentarian, but I do not think Kim's quality work is necessarily criticism. (I apologize Kim as I am not aware of your preferred pronouns so I sided on caution)

What I feel BotL does, while admittedly a bit disruptive, is not, at its core, dishonest. BotLs comments are aggressive, but they are also legitimate.

This most recent probation is, in particular, both harsh and unfair if you observe the comments in isolation. Does he have a bad reputation? Surely. However, the comments for which he was probated are not themselves either unreasonable or against the rules of the thread.

Making an argument for an unpopular opinion is not trolling if the argument is honestly constructed. While I disagree with his criticism of MoS and BvS, and would gladly challenge that analysis if he were not probated, I also recognize they are not dishonest.

It seems that much of his negative reputation is built on the response to his arguments rather than the ideas themselves. If you find yourself unable to honestly engage with someone's ideas, they are not at fault for it. He said an obviously controversial opinion, and he you and I know it. However, he was not trolling. His opinion was formulated and justified by legitimate critical theory. It was weakly constructed, but not invalidly constructed.

I argue the thread would be better served reconsidering how they engage with BotL rather than simply banishing him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ok but he sucks tho?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
BOTL is great because even slightly disingenuously mean criticism from an academic perspective activates' goons' fear of an upset dad.

Their arguments are transparently bad, which makes it funnier.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Criticism is boring as hell to read and watch

Essays are where it’s at

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT5JfLaUb4I

Something something not a regular car. A fun drinking game is to count the aftermarket accessories.

At least it's not an LS?

psh that's some child's play, i'm putting a 300+hp 3.5 liter v6 in my sw20 :smuggo:. hell maybe when the swap is done i'll see about having it on rcr if nobody beats me to it, since it's rapidly becoming the go-to swap for that car these days.

i'm also entered in the drawing to win this mr2 just for shits 'n giggles

also ls swaps are only really offensive if they are put into a rotary car. rotary -> ls swap people are bad and unimaginative

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CelticPredator posted:

Look at the anti Anton Ego here.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Essays are where it’s at

what about essays about criticism or criticism of essays

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh that’s cool then

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Anyway you have all made your points and I have come to the conclusion that...

BOTL sucks lmao

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Junpei Hyde posted:

BOTL sucks lmao

:hai:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

psh that's some child's play, i'm putting a 300+hp 3.5 liter v6 in my sw20 :smuggo:. hell maybe when the swap is done i'll see about having it on rcr if nobody beats me to it, since it's rapidly becoming the go-to swap for that car these days.

i'm also entered in the drawing to win this mr2 just for shits 'n giggles

also ls swaps are only really offensive if they are put into a rotary car. rotary -> ls swap people are bad and unimaginative

have fun with the snap oversteer :v:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Alaois posted:

have fun with the snap oversteer :v:

sw20 snap oversteer is non-issue vastly exaggerated by idiots who do not know how to drive. i've driven mine for 2 and a half years and have been taking it to the track that whole time and have had the back end step out on me exactly zero times. don't be a huge idiot in an mr2 and you won't spin, it's pretty easy really.

the real struggle is working on them. it's...not a fun time.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!

Impermanent posted:

BOTL is great because even slightly disingenuously mean criticism from an academic perspective activates' goons' fear of an upset dad.

Their arguments are transparently bad, which makes it funnier.

lmao if you think anything he ever said was academic

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

If you really want to read BOTL posts in this thread just reread the ones he's already made, they're basically all the same

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
For fucks sake they're gone, can we stop posting about them?!

On topic: Jimquisition is a bit poo poo this week - making a 20-min long gag.

https://youtu.be/H1BiLrOGfpM

But it looks like Jim has a lot on his plate so I'll let is slide.

Although the Objective review does state that FF13 has a story that has a beginning, middle and end and that it's battle system is a battle system. I would argue with both of these points.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

corn in the bible posted:

Botl is 100% a troll but a good one because he is effective

He certainly is, especially since he's been banned from the thread for a least a day or so now, and yet he's still managed at least a page's worth of derailing about his posts.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

He certainly is, especially since he's been banned from the thread for a least a day or so now, and yet he's still managed at least a page's worth of derailing about his posts.

Indeed. Also my apologies to that one guy who doesn't post in this thread and who thinks I'm a tyrant for kicking him out of here and probing him for a month. For what it's worth, I've always wanted to be a Sith Lord when I grew up.

Now let's talk about the Star Wars prequels or something.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Indeed. Also my apologies to that one guy who doesn't post in this thread and who thinks I'm a tyrant for kicking him out of here and probing him for a month. For what it's worth, I've always wanted to be a Sith Lord when I grew up.

They're not that great. 3 was decent though

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

BOTL sucks lmao

Well articulated :hmmyes:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Look at the anti Anton Ego here.

More of an Anton Id, I'd say

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/nellucnhoj/status/988464364230529024

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Junpei Hyde posted:

Make a convincing argument for his freedom, if it sucks you get a sixer

His posts piss people off and, sure, he's often engaging in bad faith. But nearly all of the positions he takes are cogent and defensible; he primarily pisses people off because he's attacking things they like. His posts derail threads partly because of that fact, and partly because most of the people who try to argue with him aren't as good at it as he is, and fail to actually refute or even meaningfully engage with the points he's making.

Either way, his posts generally bring and provoke a depth of analysis beyond just surface-level discussion. It's not just trolling, because he's not just spewing poo poo; when he takes a position, he engages to defend and discuss it.

namaste, god bless

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

chernobyl kinsman posted:

His posts piss people off and, sure, he's often engaging in bad faith. But nearly all of the positions he takes are cogent and defensible; he primarily pisses people off because he's attacking things they like. His posts derail threads partly because of that fact, and partly because most of the people who try to argue with him aren't as good at it as he is, and fail to actually refute or even meaningfully engage with the points he's making. Either way, his posts generally bring and provoke a depth of analysis beyond just surface-level discussion.

namaste, god bless

I'm sorry we already reached a conclusion.

Anyway BOTL talk is over now, further BOTL talk gets a probe

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Praise the lord, let's talk about something safe and non controversial instead like, I dunno, Count Dankula

(I'm joking)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

Praise the lord, let's talk about something safe and non controversial instead like, I dunno, Count Dankula

(I'm joking)

What hath thou wrought

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

perfect

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Make a convincing argument for his freedom, if it sucks you get a sixer

BotL was inducing exophthalmos in unsuspecting dweebs by denigrating their preferred brand of superhero, so I understand the need to probate him—but he's served his time. I'm sure he's learned his lesson, and everyone else has gotten a few Lamp-free days to cuddle their action figures and let the cortisone shot kick in.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

nine-gear crow posted:

Prequels like that Han Solo movie?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

BotL was inducing exophthalmos in unsuspecting dweebs by denigrating their preferred brand of superhero, so I understand the need to probate him—but he's served his time. I'm sure he's learned his lesson, and everyone else has gotten a few Lamp-free days to cuddle their action figures and let the cortisone shot kick in.

it takes talent to outwrong botl.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Prequels like that Han Solo movie?

it's gonna be as bad as the other prequels.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

People of the world

join hands

Start a probe train

Probe train

(Seriously guys do you wanna STFU about it now)

Junpei Hyde posted:

What hath thou wrought

What, you thought the problem with this thread was sorted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_kAQLl9EM

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

nine-gear crow posted:

I want a Dash Rendar movie but with the way Disney has been handling Star Wars recently maybe i should just be happy with N64 Dash the way he is.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

People of the world

join hands

Start a probe train

Probe train

(Seriously guys do you wanna STFU about it now)

What, you thought the problem with this thread was sorted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_kAQLl9EM

aw sonofabitch

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Matthewmatosis on Zachtronics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ct6oINg88

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Aw drat can't watch because I still have not beat Infinifactory.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I want a Dash Rendar movie but with the way Disney has been handling Star Wars recently maybe i should just be happy with N64 Dash the way he is.

Honestly, Shadows of the Empire might make for a decent animated series ala Rebels... if they fixed a lot of the crappy poo poo in it. Though they need to find a new voice for Dash now that John Cygan's dead :smith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
John Cygan died? Now who will voice Canderous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I still wish John Cygan had voiced Big Boss in MGSV. :smith: