Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So the new job is great but it seems they don't have proper policies for user pc setup. I was given a blank pc with office on it. None of the tools I need to administrate the applications im supposed to admin. It's now been a month and I've managed to get one app installed that lets me do most of my job

On Friday I found out I had to admin a new app, not a big deal as my workload isn't too bad right now and the app has gotten two or three tickets in the last month. I submit a request to get the admin app installed and one of the other managers gives me poo poo for not following process. I followed up with my manager and yes, I followed process. My manager then rolled her eyes and started emailing people.

The joys of working for a large corp. It's surprising how much I'm not frustrated by this.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

blackswordca posted:

So the new job is great but it seems they don't have proper policies for user pc setup. I was given a blank pc with office on it. None of the tools I need to administrate the applications im supposed to admin. It's now been a month and I've managed to get one app installed that lets me do most of my job

On Friday I found out I had to admin a new app, not a big deal as my workload isn't too bad right now and the app has gotten two or three tickets in the last month. I submit a request to get the admin app installed and one of the other managers gives me poo poo for not following process. I followed up with my manager and yes, I followed process. My manager then rolled her eyes and started emailing people.

The joys of working for a large corp. It's surprising how much I'm not frustrated by this.

Moving up from small shops and MSPs to the real world is quite the shift I hear (please god let me be the next :yotj: out of this hell).

Good to hear none of the red tape is driving you mad though.

edit:
I also wasn't a huge fan of the idea to push the vCenter update immediately, but I was made aware of the intention when vCenter exploded into a million tiny pieces after the upgrade failed. Why plan things when we can blow up everything in production on a Friday?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Moving up from small shops and MSPs to the real world is quite the shift I hear (please god let me be the next :yotj: out of this hell).

Good to hear none of the red tape is driving you mad though.

I've worked for enough large call centers to know that sometimes people just want their little fiefdoms. At the end of the day, I get paid either way. I just keep my manager in the loop.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ticket: Hey, one of our critical printers isn't responding and there are 300k jobs backed up in the print queue. Can someone take a look?
Desktop Person: The printer isn't hooked up. It was disconnected and put into storage for construction in the area.

Ummmm.

This is a known critical printer that prints a lot of documents that help us do our business so we can, you know, make money and poo poo.

But yeah, let's just unplug that bitch and put it into a closet while we remodel the floor without telling loving anyone.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Ticket: Hey, one of our critical printers isn't responding and there are 300k jobs backed up in the print queue. Can someone take a look?
Desktop Person: The printer isn't hooked up. It was disconnected and put into storage for construction in the area.

Ummmm.

This is a known critical printer that prints a lot of documents that help us do our business so we can, you know, make money and poo poo.

But yeah, let's just unplug that bitch and put it into a closet while we remodel the floor without telling loving anyone.

Ticket closed: No trouble found

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Wait wait wait wait.

How the gently caress does 300k jobs back up on a printer like that? Surely somebody is sending those and actually needed to pick up some of their poo poo at some point?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Ummmm.

I feel very sorry for the printer that's about to pick up that slack.

Also 300k jobs :wtc: Is that just a typo or do people just literally print all the things and never went to pick them up to notice the printer was missing? Like, I'm amazed the number got that high before somebody went "huh something is wrong here"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A ticket came in:

quote:

Do you calibrate the scan trons machine? It needs it and I have never been asked that before.

I went to check it out and they just had a machine sitting on a table. I have 100% never seen a scantron machine before, so I asked how they usually configure it.

:v: I dunno. We've been using the same tests on it for years, but now we have new tests. Here's the answer keys. We need this done by lunch.

[Note: it is 11:00]

Ticket closed: scantron device seems to be operating normally. This appears to be a Layer 8 issue, so faculty-wide training on this device is recommended.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

blackswordca posted:

I've worked for enough large call centers to know that sometimes people just want their little fiefdoms. At the end of the day, I get paid either way. I just keep my manager in the loop.

The fun part is the process changes depending on who you talk to and when you talk to them. I caught hell once for doing something that a coworker had done that morning. Same process, same people, different result. Big corporations are awesome!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Antioch posted:

The fun part is the process changes depending on who you talk to and when you talk to them. I caught hell once for doing something that a coworker had done that morning. Same process, same people, different result. Big corporations are awesome!

I had a PM for another group tell me that I need to stop bothering her people directly and everything I needed was to go through her.

Then three weeks later that same PM tells me that she can't be responsible for every little thing her group does and to contact them directly.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I feel very sorry for the printer that's about to pick up that slack.

Also 300k jobs :wtc: Is that just a typo or do people just literally print all the things and never went to pick them up to notice the printer was missing? Like, I'm amazed the number got that high before somebody went "huh something is wrong here"

My business still requires a lot of documentation in hardcopy. Even if the original docs were sent digitally, they still need a physical copy once all is said and done.

And it's probably 300k jobs because 30k jobs got resubmitted between 5 and 20 times.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

I had a PM for another group tell me that I need to stop bothering her people directly and everything I needed was to go through her.

Then three weeks later that same PM tells me that she can't be responsible for every little thing her group does and to contact them directly.

Sounds like you got her trained, gj!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Love to hunt around the network to find out where the gently caress the general ledger is keeping its SQL server because we use an MSP for poo poo and so I can't get ahold of anyone who knows the network architecture anymore

Also I think they have a stolen windows server thing, should I report this to Microsoft (does Microsoft still pay money for that)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Shugojin posted:

Love to hunt around the network to find out where the gently caress the general ledger is keeping its SQL server because we use an MSP for poo poo and so I can't get ahold of anyone who knows the network architecture anymore

Also I think they have a stolen windows server thing, should I report this to Microsoft (does Microsoft still pay money for that)

Can you access whatever application server is hosting the app? netstat -a and see where there's an open connection over 1443, if it's a linux machine it's the same command even!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
For a while, I’ve been planning to move the school over to VOIP. I wrote up a proposal with requirements, costs, equipment necessities, etc.. and submitted it to the director. He told me to “discuss it at the next team meeting”

Today was our meeting, I started by outlining the pros and cons of VOIP and what we’d have to put into the project.

:v: So it will be $7 per line and $1-3 per phone we lease, depending on features. Some people may want cordless options or digital directories so the cost will increase based on features.

:mad: Wait. Hold on. We have to buy new phones??

:v: Well, we can purchase new phones or we can lease them for a small price.

:mad: I wasn’t made aware of this.

:v: It was in the proposal I submitted?

:mad: Why do we have to buy new phones?

:v: Because our analog handsets aren’t compatible? I explained it fully in the proposal.

:mad: Whatever, carry on.

:v: The other thing we’ll have to look into is a backup option in case of a network or power outage. If either of those goes out, we won’t be able to make calls. I sugge-

:mad: HOLD ON. I wasn’t made aware of any of this crap. How much is this going to cost us?

:v: It’s in the proposal that I just passed out. I also just talked about it: $7 per line and $1-3 per handset. We pay $12.87 per line now so it will end up being slightly cheaper per year.

:mad: I don’t want to hear any more. This was poorly planned and I wasn’t adequately informed of the requirements.

:v: It’s in the proposal under “cost comparison.”

:mad: I wasn’t made aware it was in the proposal.

:suicide:

I’m so glad this is going to be someone else’s problem soon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao just gently caress that guy

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not sure why you still have fucks to give. Just ride it out and gently caress him and all of that noise.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

Director bullshit

Jesus your director is a loving rear end in a top hat.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Jesus your director is a loving rear end in a top hat.

and an idiot.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

larchesdanrew posted:

:mad: I don’t want to hear any more. This was poorly planned and I wasn’t adequately informed of the requirements.

Perhaps Mrs. English Teacher can help you with your reading comprehension? Or a super condescending, "please hold your questions until the end of the presentation".

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The answer to "I wasn't made aware of this" is "You were, and it's not my job to handhold you through reading the information you are given."

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Clearly, the solution here is to propose a new assistant position for the :mad: so that they can have a person read out any and all written messages.. because they can't loving read.

"I'm sorry, the :mad: is busy, they are getting a 400 page VOIP proposal sang to them by a castrato choir"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dump the entire thing into https://cloud.google.com/text-to-speech/ and put it on a cheap MP3 player to present as an audio book.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Lol larch stop proposing things.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tailored Sauce posted:

Or at the very least, push the director at the meeting to take a vote on the proposal. It will be shot down because I'm sure other people are terrified of crossing that guy. When somebody brings up the phone bill later and asks if you can reduce cost somewhere, tell them it was rejected and you will not revisit without another vote.

At least it keeps the director from waffling and complaining to you that you never considered VoIP.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

MF_James posted:

Can you access whatever application server is hosting the app? netstat -a and see where there's an open connection over 1443, if it's a linux machine it's the same command even!

Maybe? I will try that tomorrow if the only other person who knows anything about sql doesn't know the IP off the top of his head tomorrow, he was off to his son's little league game when I thought to check that with him today but this is more of a "it'd be cool if we could connect these for financial reporting" thing than a "this is super critical" one so this can be comfortably back burner

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

For a while, I’ve been planning to move the school over to VOIP. I wrote up a proposal with requirements, costs, equipment necessities, etc.. and submitted it to the director. He told me to “discuss it at the next team meeting”

Today was our meeting, I started by outlining the pros and cons of VOIP and what we’d have to put into the project.

:v: So it will be $7 per line and $1-3 per phone we lease, depending on features. Some people may want cordless options or digital directories so the cost will increase based on features.

:mad: Wait. Hold on. We have to buy new phones??

:v: Well, we can purchase new phones or we can lease them for a small price.

:mad: I wasn’t made aware of this.

:v: It was in the proposal I submitted?

:mad: Why do we have to buy new phones?

:v: Because our analog handsets aren’t compatible? I explained it fully in the proposal.

:mad: Whatever, carry on.

:v: The other thing we’ll have to look into is a backup option in case of a network or power outage. If either of those goes out, we won’t be able to make calls. I sugge-

:mad: HOLD ON. I wasn’t made aware of any of this crap. How much is this going to cost us?

:v: It’s in the proposal that I just passed out. I also just talked about it: $7 per line and $1-3 per handset. We pay $12.87 per line now so it will end up being slightly cheaper per year.

Quote him garbage to run analog gateway for your phones

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Time the delivery so it arrives on the morning of your last day

Weedle
May 31, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

In my fantasy, this is where you say “You could have made yourself aware that it was in the proposal by reading it.”

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

Time the delivery so it arrives on the morning after your last day

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Sormus posted:

Clearly, the solution here is to propose a new assistant position

He has two full time executive assistants. But I’m sure his ego could justify hiring another one at the expense of some other position in campus.

Tailored Sauce posted:

I bitch about him but I love this school, man. It’s been such a huge influence on my life, especially growing up. It changes lives and I want to see it continue succeeding. I’m not going to let my hatred of this guy stop me from trying to make this place the best it can be. If I can set some plans in motion before I leave that the next guy can pick up, then that’s what I’ll do :shrug:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

larchesdanrew posted:

I bitch about him but I love this school, man. It’s been such a huge influence on my life, especially growing up. It changes lives and I want to see it continue succeeding. I’m not going to let my hatred of this guy stop me from trying to make this place the best it can be. If I can set some plans in motion before I leave that the next guy can pick up, then that’s what I’ll do :shrug:

That's admirable and fingers crossed you leave some plans behind that lead to progress

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tailored Sauce posted:

That's admirable and fingers crossed you leave some plans behind that lead to progress

Let's be real: the best plan, the one that would effect the most change by a mile, would be "fire this abusive illiterate shitstain of a director and get a professional in here."

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Che Delilas posted:

Let's be real: the best plan, the one that would effect the most change by a mile, would be "fire this abusive illiterate shitstain of a director and get a professional in here."

isn't that the same director who is supposed to have an incoming promotion?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The Fool posted:

Ask me about the brand new “I’m going to SAVE THE COMPANY” account manager that said from now on, all communications would flow through him.

I pushed back, saying that we traditionally have direct contact with customer employees due to support cases being opened by those employees.

He said, “Nope! All communication. All.”

Okay jackass.

On Monday I updated the customer entry in our case management system stating that all communication would flow through $accountManager.

By Thursday the customer is screaming, “Who the gently caress is $accountManager and why is he holding things up?!?”

Friday he’s backpedaling like crazy and telling the rest of us on the account team that he never said “all communication”.

Two of us emailed him his previous email directive, both of us cc-d everyone on the team plus supervisors.

Jackass.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I loving hate heroes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Che Delilas posted:

I loving hate heroes.

Amen

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spog posted:

There was the (possibly apocryphal) MD who owned a boat called 'A Business Trip'

So, his secretary could tell callers 'I am sorry he is not available, he's on a business trip'

My last place of work was on a lake. We had a company boat you could book if you wanted to. That boat was called "Meeting", and one of our editors used it avidly to go fishing during lunch. Our receptionist would cast a glance out over the lake, spot the little boat and go "I'm sorry, he's in a meeting right now.". That never got old.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agrikk posted:

Friday he’s backpedaling like crazy and telling the rest of us on the account team that he never said “all communication”.

Two of us emailed him his previous email directive, both of us cc-d everyone on the team plus supervisors.

Jackass.

:smug:

That's some job satisfaction right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Crowley posted:

My last place of work was on a lake. We had a company boat you could book if you wanted to. That boat was called "Meeting", and one of our editors used it avidly to go fishing during lunch. Our receptionist would cast a glance out over the lake, spot the little boat and go "I'm sorry, he's in a meeting right now.". That never got old.

This sounds too good to be true, was your boss literally satan? I mean, with this job you don't even need boat money, they let you borrow the boat!