Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's that they can't afford to include any value RAM in that box for the 1600/mobo that's the hilarious part.

People keep thinking memory is a bubble that will burst at some point this year, but I think it'll get worse before it gets better. I actually think Nvidia is fairly smart to go DDR4 on the 1030 redo; I have a much bigger problem with them lowering clocks and calling it a 1030, but I think the DDR4/GDDR5 difference won't be seen by a lot of buyers and is probably indicative of where the market is going.

I don't think we'll see a rollback in specs, but I do think there will be significant slowdown in progress. I already see people asking what the newest platform was that will still accept their DDR3, and DDR5 adoption will probably be very slow with motherboards that accept your old DDR4 rather than Intel/AMD yelling at you to throw your old sticks out and buy new ones. OEMs are going to see their contracts expire before things get better, and pre-builts will likely go up to the highest prices they've been relative to incomes since the days when a home PC was a sign of affluence.

This is going to go on for years before it gets fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

maybe they should start with more parts people want instead of the leftovers.
It being an appreciable discount would be a start

that's a perfectly good mid-range system tbf. i have no idea if that's a good price tho

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Its not the worst price, assuming you want a 580, but it's not a great price. If you take the CPU + Mobo to be $200-250 that leaves the GPU at $250-300, which would have been absurd before the spike, and hopefully will be absurd again soon, but AMD cards got hit hard so that's about as cheap as I've seen one lately.

E: numbers are off, deal is worse than noted

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 23, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Generic Monk posted:

that's a perfectly good mid-range system tbf. i have no idea if that's a good price tho

The mid range motherboard and a high end CPU constitute 50% of the price, the GPU would be way overvalued in a market that had any options.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

AMD: "People loved the Vega bundles, right? Let's do more of those!"

$599 USD for an R5 1600, a B350 Tomahawk, and an RX 580 Armor. :chloe:

I mean that's $820 if you got all three items separately on amazon. Considering the MSI RX 580 is only ~$50 cheaper than the whole bundle, its not terrible in this hellish market.

ignore this look down there instead vvvv

buglord fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 23, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Generic Monk posted:

quote:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.69 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($344.89 @ B&H)
Total: $584.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-23 16:44 EDT-0400

So, literally the same out-the-door price you could get just ordering those same components, and the mobo also has a $20 rebate that takes it down to $15 cheaper than the bundle.

Also, you definitely wouldn't order those exact parts, the Armor is notoriously the worst cooler you can buy and there are better 580 8GBs also available at the $350 price-point, and it makes no sense to buy the 1600 when the 2600 is $25 more.

AMD is clearing out old junk nobody wants, just like with the Vega bundles.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 23, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't the MSI Armor the one you basically have to replace the cooler on or suffer with loud fans and a hot card? Edit: Beaten

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The 1080ti Armor is the terrible one because they used the same cooler as the 1070/1080 Armor and it just can't handle a 250W card.

I think the Armor cooler is ok on lower TDP cards, nothing amazing but not terrible.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Digitalfoundry just put out a video looking at how bad canned benchmarks often are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DO60ajSpAo

A good reminder that reviewers who don't measure actual in-game performance are hacks and should be ignored.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

craig588 posted:

Isn't the MSI Armor the one you basically have to replace the cooler on or suffer with loud fans and a hot card? Edit: Beaten

i had an armor 1070 and it was literally fine hth

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Generic Monk posted:

i had an armor 1070 and it was literally fine hth

a 1070 is nearly 100 TDP lower

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

a 1070 is nearly 100 TDP lower

than a 580? what the gently caress is amd putting in these cards

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's me. I never run performance benchmarks, just stability and thermals. Get my hardware overclocked so it's still quiet and cool and then never pay attention to it again until new hardware comes out and then do it over again. Running performance benchmarks seems to only be a way to disappoint yourself, you're not really going to get another 1080 Ti because yours "only" does 1925MHz, are you?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Generic Monk posted:

than a 580? what the gently caress is amd putting in these cards

an rx 480 and then over clocking it so its really hot. To be specific, thats comparing a blower 1070 to an pre OCed 580.

reference spec they both have similar TDP. Buying the 3rd party beefy coolers makes them wildly different. The 1070 consumes a little more for a decent gain where the 580 consumes a huge amount more for barely anything

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 23, 2018

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

an rx 480 and then over clocking it so its really hot

can't be worse than the reference r9 290x i owned that stuttered in most games because it was constantly getting too hot and downclocking itself while sounding like a loving hairdryer

craig588 posted:

It's me. I never run performance benchmarks, just stability and thermals. Get my hardware overclocked so it's still quiet and cool and then never pay attention to it again until new hardware comes out and then do it over again. Running performance benchmarks seems to only be a way to disappoint yourself, you're not really going to get another 1080 Ti because yours "only" does 1925MHz, are you?

i think their main value for most people is for reviewers to have something standard to test against; probably almost no average user touches them

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 23, 2018

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

craig588 posted:

Benchmarks are great if you can't just slam everything to ultra and need to tweak settings to hit your target framerate.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I had an RX580 Armor and it wasn't that bad, not great but not terrible. I never saw temps go above the 70s.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I had a 1080ti Armor and it was impressively bad.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Dumb question, I bought an EVGA 1080Ti a few months ago for $700 and now I wanted to buy another and they're up over $1,000 (same exact model) from Newegg, Amazon and EVGA's website. Is this some bitcoin bullshit raising the prices or something new coming out or what?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
A combination of bitcoins, memory pricing, and no supply because of a new release probably this summer. There's a crazy economy going on if any one of those things is enough to push the price that much. Bitcoins make like 1.50 a day, memory is up by like 40-50 dollars, no supply could do it on its own, but that seems unlikely to last for months. The combination of all 3 could easily do it though.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Is $375 for a evga 1070 sc black used decent?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Though I was heavily pushing the idea that mining couldn't account for the last 2+ months of supply issues, it should be noted that mining rates are starting to go back up. No idea if thats a temporary reaction to the price jump but if it keeps going up it would make gpus appealing for mining again at some point here. Though the "moon" is simply returning to values from a month ago when mining was probably at its worst so I have no idea how its going to shake out

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure we're about to see Hype Phase v3.0 or whatever. I'm okay with this. Previous hype phases paid for my Ryzen 7 and Threadripper systems, which are now going to help fund a new laptop for me. :thumbsup:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd love to get ~8 dollars a day again, but I'm not letting it influence my buying. I'll just run my 1080 and 980 again, maybe the next generation of Nvidia card if they come out by then. I just get every new Nvidia card regardless of compute or bitcoins or whatever.

For now I run F@H because 1.50 is a joke and maybe compute donations will do some good.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

craig588 posted:

I'd love to get ~8 dollars a day again, but I'm not letting it influence my buying. I'll just run my 1080 and 980 again, maybe the next generation of Nvidia card if they come out by then. I just get every new Nvidia card regardless of compute or bitcoins or whatever.

For now I run F@H because 1.50 is a joke and maybe compute donations will do some good.

I think the general consensus is that if you already have some hardware it was OK to mine with it (and might be OK to start mining again). Actually building a mining rig or whatever has always been a bit of a loopy idea.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

1gnoirents posted:

Though I was heavily pushing the idea that mining couldn't account for the last 2+ months of supply issues, it should be noted that mining rates are starting to go back up. No idea if thats a temporary reaction to the price jump but if it keeps going up it would make gpus appealing for mining again at some point here. Though the "moon" is simply returning to values from a month ago when mining was probably at its worst so I have no idea how its going to shake out

Mining being profitable usually isn't a reaction to the static price, it's usually a result of a number of cryptocoins increasing in price over a set amount of time.

Coins are on a slow rise the last 3 weeks (which is one of the biggest sustained gains in months), so that's why you are seeing mining rates increase. As soon as prices steady out (or crash) those mining prices will drop too.

Think about it, for Nicehash if prices were static why would someone pay profitably to mine vs just buying the coins. Or even mining directly, why would there be a gap between profitability and output? The only situation where it makes sense is if the buyer feels like a mining contract payout will outpace the number of miners jumping on the pool, and the only way that happens is if prices are continually rising.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Jack Forge posted:

Is $375 for a evga 1070 sc black used decent?

I think so, especially considering new ones are going for around $500 and up. Plus it's EVGA so warranty can be transferred and they have pretty awesome support.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I posted in the laptop thread, but I thought this was interesting:

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-precision-5530-2-in-1/preview/

That Vega M GL GPU on eMIB? It has an enterprise version for the new Precision version of the XPS 15 2-in-1 called the Radeon Pro WX Vega M G.

I think it's neat!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

NewFatMike posted:

I posted in the laptop thread, but I thought this was interesting:

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-precision-5530-2-in-1/preview/

That Vega M GL GPU on eMIB? It has an enterprise version for the new Precision version of the XPS 15 2-in-1 called the Radeon Pro WX Vega M G.

I think it's neat!

Side note on these as Dell is making my blood pressure rise, mostly due to previous order processing issues but I've had a XPS 15 2-in-1 on order since the 1st with a delivery date of 15th thats been pushed back over and over with no explanation. Yesterday I checked the order page by pure chance and I had a FTC consent warning. They're so late with it I was required to consent that I'm okay with its lateness, but the kicker was if I didn't do that within 24 hours the order would have been automatically cancelled and I wasn't notified at all.

(sorry for poor quality I only saved the screen after the fact from a discord attachment)

I bet AMD is to blame though to keep it GPU related lol >:|

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

TSMC's general purpose "7nm" process is apparently in full production, and they explicitly list a GPU as a customer. Some other info suggests retail availability of the first products this summer, but I doubt they would kick off a new DUV process with huge GPUs. Who knows though.

Did AMD specify that the 7nm Vega spin was on the GloFo 7nm DUV? I cant remember.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12677/tsmc-kicks-off-volume-production-of-7nm-chips

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

1gnoirents posted:

Side note on these as Dell is making my blood pressure rise, mostly due to previous order processing issues but I've had a XPS 15 2-in-1 on order since the 1st with a delivery date of 15th thats been pushed back over and over with no explanation. Yesterday I checked the order page by pure chance and I had a FTC consent warning. They're so late with it I was required to consent that I'm okay with its lateness, but the kicker was if I didn't do that within 24 hours the order would have been automatically cancelled and I wasn't notified at all.

(sorry for poor quality I only saved the screen after the fact from a discord attachment)

I bet AMD is to blame though to keep it GPU related lol >:|

Contact them and voice your frustration - you might get ~$50-100 knocked off your order for the inconvenience.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

$550AR for a 1080 Strix, which is essentially its normal pre-ram inflation pre-mining price

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126106

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
$430 was the absolute low-water mark for the 1080 (granted, a really low-end Gigabyte SKU) before the bubble inflated.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Contact them and voice your frustration - you might get ~$50-100 knocked off your order for the inconvenience.

This, I've had them delay all sorts of things long enough to trigger the FTC waiver, and every time I call them on it I can get one of the various Indian fellows to chop off a hundo for me.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BIG HEADLINE posted:

$430 was the absolute low-water mark for the 1080 (granted, a really low-end Gigabyte SKU) before the bubble inflated.

I think the ASUS blower one was around the same price once. The Strix got down to sub $500 a few times I think, but $550 is pretty close to where it was floating in the golden days of yore.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Cygni posted:

TSMC's general purpose "7nm" process is apparently in full production, and they explicitly list a GPU as a customer. Some other info suggests retail availability of the first products this summer, but I doubt they would kick off a new DUV process with huge GPUs. Who knows though.

Did AMD specify that the 7nm Vega spin was on the GloFo 7nm DUV? I cant remember.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12677/tsmc-kicks-off-volume-production-of-7nm-chips

Vega is going to be TSMC it appears, sampling supposed to happen in Q4 2018. GloFo is getting Zen, TSMC seems to be getting GPU designs probably so AMD can push Navi out as quickly as possible since it's not as urgent to get Zen 2 out in comparison.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12233/amd-tech-day-at-ces-2018-roadmap-revealed-with-ryzen-apus-zen-on-12nm-vega-on-7nm/9

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

craig588 posted:

EVGA has very good aftermarket coolers, very good PCBs, very good warranty support and is the only one with the 90 day trade up program if a new card comes out soon then just pay the difference and get a free upgrade. (With the cost of current cards it probably will be free)

I don't put much faith in the EVGA step-up program. The year before last, I bought a firesale 980ti Classified from Newegg with the hopes of utilizing the step-up program to get a 1080. I bought the card at the end of May 2016 and immediately filled out the step-up stuff. Didn't get a notification the trade was ready until mid-February 2017, about one month before the 1080ti was released, so I would have wound up paying an additional $300+shipping for a card that was a month away from being outclassed fairly dramatically. It was very frustrating to see all the EVGA 1080s in stock at Amazon, Newegg, etc. at normal prices during summer/fall 2016, but EVGA themselves never had any in stock to finish my step-up request. To make things worse, I kept the 980ti and have to run it at stock clocks because even the mildest of overclocks (we're talking 5-10 MHz higher than stock) forces the adapter to reset constantly. Compared to the copper MSI 970 I had before, this EVGA 980ti is a piece of poo poo. I'd read nothing but good things regarding EVGA, their customer support, and their step-up program, but I've had a pretty miserable experience all around. I don't exactly want to drive-by poo poo on them, but I also thought it would maybe be beneficial to share my experience with anyone who is considering doing the same thing with the next gen of GPUs.

ninja: Also worth noting that if you do try to step-up, you get stuck with the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel cheapest model with no option to get a nicer card with (perhaps) better cooling/OC.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

:wrong:

Eat your heart out kiddos

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 25, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

And definitely not their low end sku. They were readily available at 415 as well just to make things that much sadder. poo poo I bought that exact card for 400 now that I think about it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

so because you mistimed your buy and didnt want a 1080 when the 1080ti was coming out they are bad?