Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jackie D posted:

Phrenology should be a mid-game tech

Actually, I was thinking vivisection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Man what does Korea have against the Germans or the scots.

Those are Finnish posessions

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Started a game as Prussia, December 1619 with the ascension of George William to the throne (not an easy start). Took me about 5 in game years but I think I got a rough handle on how things work. Going to take out a loan, raise my military maintance and attack the Commonwealth for my independence in concert with Russia.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Is this like that German guy who claimed that the Dark Ages were made up by the Catholic Church to make themselves look good and it’s actually only been 1500 years since the time of Christ, or is it more respectable?

How does the non-stop succession of murderous sex popes make thrm look good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Phlegmish posted:

How does the non-stop succession of murderous sex popes make thrm look good

They had that one crusade and it went decently as long as history ends in 1142.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Charlz Guybon posted:

Started a game as Prussia, December 1619 with the ascension of George William to the throne (not an easy start). Took me about 5 in game years but I think I got a rough handle on how things work. Going to take out a loan, raise my military maintance and attack the Commonwealth for my independence in concert with Russia.
In which game?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Man what does Korea have against the scots.

They ruined Scotland, for one.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Is there a way to decompress/deironman an EU4 save? I've been trying to convert my completed Ottoman ironman game to vic2, but the converter keeps failing and based on what I've been reading it's because it can't read compressed saves.

edit: Found a tool called Ironmelt that managed to do it. Time to see if my Ottomans can survive another 100 years!

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 18, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Where oh where have all the lumberjacks gone :(

e: reloaded and they finally got their timber

ee: then it got stuck again

feller fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 19, 2018

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

how does the global market just run out of wood

is somebody building timber mechs

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Come on, it's not like wood grows on trees.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe Russia decided to invest heavily in furniture factories and they're consuming all the timber and lumber they produce before it goes on the world market.

If there's some kind of shortage of a good I like to go to the trade screen and see who the top 5 producers are to figure out wtf is going on. Sometimes you'll find that one country is actually producing like 90% of the world's supply.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yeah a coal crisis once caused by beautiful glass filled Italy to have a full blown revolution.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ThaumPenguin posted:

how does the global market just run out of wood

is somebody building timber mechs

well everyone will start building barrels for some reason

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ofaloaf posted:

That was already well-established by the period.
Yeah, we're Pleiadians.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I'm looking at the schedule for the Reboot Develop game dev conference right now and Fredrik Wester is going to be giving a talk on "Marrying Business Models with Game Design" in half an hour. Which sounds like it's going to be directly addressing the DLC problem.

They're streaming the talks on on twitch.

E: but not this talk specifically so gently caress me I guess

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 19, 2018

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
I used to be a really good Victoria 1/Ricky player and have been playing a lot of HOI4 and EU4 lately, but I want to get back into Victoria 2. What are the most fun mods for it?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I used to be a really good Victoria 1/Ricky player and have been playing a lot of HOI4 and EU4 lately, but I want to get back into Victoria 2. What are the most fun mods for it?

/i am new to this thread. Do people like the 4chan gsg mod that has, among other things, ethnic cleansing in it? If you get beyond the 4chan thing it seems like it is a pretty extensive mod.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'm looking at the schedule for the Reboot Develop game dev conference right now and Fredrik Wester is going to be giving a talk on "Marrying Business Models with Game Design" in half an hour. Which sounds like it's going to be directly addressing the DLC problem.

They're streaming the talks on on twitch.

E: but not this talk specifically so gently caress me I guess

If anyone listens to it and would be willing to post the bullet points of what they said, I would be grateful.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Paper With Lines posted:

/i am new to this thread. Do people like the 4chan gsg mod that has, among other things, ethnic cleansing in it? If you get beyond the 4chan thing it seems like it is a pretty extensive mod.

not so much ethnic cleansing (which EU4 has - what do YOU think "cultural conversion" is?) as outright modeling genocide which is why it's banned on the paradox forums.

the other V2 mods (HPM / NNM) are more frequently updated and as a bonus don't throw in mass murder

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
The gsg stuff is great because when I was trying the mod out as the Ottomans I clicked it out of curiosity and it did what it said on the tin, and as a result it completely annihilated my workforce and army because of the many non-accepted pops and I collapsed amazingly shortly afterward. Ethic cleansing never pays, kids!

HPM is probably my favourite mod; NNM is the base of GSG and HPM and many others if you want a more vanilla-ish experience. HFM is a spinoff of HPM that adds more flavour stuff.

I love alt-history stuff so I'd say definitely give Napoleon's Legacy a go, it's my second most played after HPM; there's a few more popular-ish ones but Normandy mod is the only other one coming to mind right now and I can't find it right now.

HPM: http://www.moddb.com/mods/historical-project-mod
HFM: http://www.moddb.com/mods/historical-flavour-mod
Napoleon's Legacy: https://pastebin.com/sN1g69sr (could be a newer version of it around)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

EU4 culture conversion is a lil weird because it seems way too fast to be meant to be some kind of acculturation but your neighbors and own pops are wayyy too chill about it for it to be violent so it's just naked game mechanic

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Thirding a vote for HPM.

But the New Nations Mod is also good if you just want to flavor up the base game a bit with some new nations.

... Speaking of Victoria mods, I should get to work on a mod for Victoria 3: "Elizabeth". Starts on February 2, 1952. Goes to the present. ... The more I think about it the less this post becomes a joke.

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 19, 2018

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ExtraNoise posted:

Thirding a vote for HPM.

But the New Nations Mod is also good if you just want to flavor up the base game a bit with some new nations.

... Speaking of Victoria mods, I should get to work on a mod for Victoria 3: "Elizabeth". Starts on February 2, 1952. Goes to the present. ... The more I think about it the less this post becomes a joke.

Shame to see PDX getting in on early access.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

spectralent posted:

Shame to see PDX getting in on early access.

Fun fact: When I started working on my HoI4 mod it was before the game was released. I used a bunch of stills from dev playthroughts to calculate the sizes for images and stuff to do graphics for it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What does GSG stand for in this context?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Pirate Radar posted:

Grand strategy games, I assume. It's the 4chan mapgame board

Edit: vvvv poo poo

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 20, 2018

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Pirate Radar posted:

Grand Strategy General, a specific thread on the 4chan board for general video game threads that are basically always instantly remade the moment they hit the maximum amount of posts (/vg/).

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Whew, I saw “GSG” and “genocide” and worried it was going to be something in German.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

aphid_licker posted:

EU4 culture conversion is a lil weird because it seems way too fast to be meant to be some kind of acculturation but your neighbors and own pops are wayyy too chill about it for it to be violent so it's just naked game mechanic

I've seen some people trying to explain it as replacing the local nobility with nobility of your culture, but I kind of feel like that's represented in coring cost to establish local administration. I think it's hard to justify, just like you do.

Like religion, the all or nothing culture system need to made more granular in eu5.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

Like religion, the all or nothing culture system need to made more granular in eu5.

Perhaps, with some kind of, say, pop system.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'd honestly love if stability was actually a kind of see-saw, where you have a bunch of factors that steadily increase it (religious unity, cultural unity, prosperity and so on) with other factors decreasing it (lack of the aformentioned, events) and raising stability would just mean that you tipped it further to the good side.

I guess kinda just another number like Prestige or Legitimacy, only far more central to the game.

Also colonisation is really weird and if this is the latest and best incarnation I'm really curious what the older versions were like lol

edit: do I have to state a province for it to count for colonial range? why is it so loving irritating trying to colonize from Siberia to Alaska??

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 23, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sir this is a mcdonalds drive thru the Victoria thread

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

Sir this is a mcdonalds drive thru the Victoria thread
New idea: a modern day paradox game about cultural hegemony called "Americanization"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pandemic but reskinned so you're spreading pop-culture.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also colonisation is really weird and if this is the latest and best incarnation I'm really curious what the older versions were like lol

Colonist mana, only ten native states (four by the time europeans arrive), much more explicit genocide of natives, and the game mechanics really pushing you to do so.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The SA Stellaris thread is pretty much building shrines to Wiz full-time now.

:staredog:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

idhrendur posted:

Colonist mana, only ten native states (four by the time europeans arrive), much more explicit genocide of natives, and the game mechanics really pushing you to do so.
Yeah, it's a bit like how I hear only mystical noises when I ask about how CK1 was

So I don't really wanna give them poo poo, because they only improve as far as I can tell, but dang y'all
whoaaaahhh

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yeah, it's a bit like how I hear only mystical noises when I ask about how CK1 was

So I don't really wanna give them poo poo, because they only improve as far as I can tell, but dang y'all
whoaaaahhh

It was a good enough game to make me an addict and get me started making game converters, but I definitely wouldn't ever play it again now that CK2 has done everything better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Starfish is actually fun after the last update and his ck2 mod was good. If he was working on eu4 or co2, they’ve both become bloated messes.