Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Lone Badger posted:

Final Fantasy 15 (windows):
There's a bunch of OP-looking stuff in my inventory right at the start. I should ignore it / mulch it?

It's powerful, but it'll be outdated by the middle of the game. Use it or don't, I didn't care for it and went back to the normal weapons progression pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Final Fantasy 15 (windows):
There's a bunch of OP-looking stuff in my inventory right at the start. I should ignore it / mulch it?

It'll be outdated fairly quickly. Just leave it there if it bugs you, but know that you can, in normal progression of the game, get the Ultima Blade for Noctis about 1/8th the way through the game.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
I'm very excited to be finally playing EarthBound. What's to know?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

admiraldennis posted:

Damage causes your hp to tick down instead of instantly chunk away. You can heal during it to counter act it. This is helpful if say, you have 100 hp, and take a hit for 120; if you pop a heal for 30 off before it ticks down, you'll end up at 10 hp instead of dead.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Also if you end the battle before HP tick down to 0, you'll keep the HP the counter was at when it ended. There are a few particular enemies where that's guaranteed to happen.

Manage your inventory space. Always keep one slot empty for stuff you may find. You probably won't be able to carry as many healing items as you think you need. Personally I always thought condiments were a waste of a slot.

Don't remember if that's ever communicated, but run into enemies from behind to get a surprise round. Same thing goes the other way around. If you're running from an enemy and they're too quick for you, at least turn around and face them head on.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Earthbound's pretty old-school with it's difficulty compared to something like a ninties final fantasy, so you'll probably have to actually stop and grind levels between areas in the early game to get through alive (especially before you get your second party member). Either that, or get really good a dodging encounters.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

My Lovely Horse posted:

Don't remember if that's ever communicated, but run into enemies from behind to get a surprise round. Same thing goes the other way around. If you're running from an enemy and they're too quick for you, at least turn around and face them head on.

The game has friendly moles who explain a lot of the battle mechanics, including this, and the fact that if you're powerful enough to kill all of the enemies in a fight with just physical attacks in the first round before they'll be able to attack (the game calculates it all behind the scenes), you'll win instantly without even loading the fight. If you're strong enough that this will be a regular occurrence, or if you've killed the dungeon boss, enemies will run away from you, giving you easy back attacks (and instant wins) so keep that in mind if you feel like you need to grind.

It's also worth noting that the game assumes you've hit the enemy for it's pre-fight calculations, so you can sometimes make use of weapons that are more powerful but less accurate (there are a few that have extremely high damage, but as low as 25% chance to hit) to get more instant wins.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

admiraldennis posted:

- A lot of the things people like are a result of exploring the world. Talk to NPCs, look at the Help descriptions for items, take your time.

-In the first town, there's a building that's peeking out of some woods (a nearby NPC says he's keeping watch of the clubhouse, or something to that effect.) You can enter the building if you walk into the trees and go north. One of the NPCs will give you some equipment that's stronger than what you would get otherwise, it's helpful in the early game.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
Thanks all! Great tips.

I'm some number of hours in now, and in the second town (Twoson). This game is delightful.

I thought the "HP counting down" was just a display thing; didn't realize how that worked :)

Anyone know what's up with this "chime" I'm getting every 30 seconds or so:

https://streamable.com/mf81i (at 0:05)

It sounds like I should be taking poison damage or something, idk. I tried healing at a Hotel, and my status looks good...

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

did you buy eggs in happy happy village?

they hatch into chicks that grow into chickens which you can sell for easy $. i think that sound effect is to let you know the eggs have hatched to chicks.

baram. fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 16, 2018

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

baram. posted:

did you buy eggs in happy happy village?

they hatch into chicks that grow into chickens which you can sell for easy $. i think that sound effect is to let you know the eggs have hatched to chicks.

Ah, it looks like I have a Chicken indeed! Sold it and no more beeping, hooray.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

admiraldennis posted:

Ah, it looks like I have a Chicken indeed! Sold it and no more beeping, hooray.

It's worth noting that buying fresh eggs and waiting until they turn into Chickens, then selling them is a pretty good way to make money in the early game.

Also if you take a Fresh Egg into a hot spring, it turns into a Hot Spring Egg and will heal more HP. The game has a decent number of little neat things like that.

On the subject of items, the Protractor, Ruler, and Picture Postcards don't do anything and are safe to sell.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Anything for Resident Evil 7? Checked the wiki and no mention. Seems like a game where blind overall is best maybe?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Zushio posted:

Anything for Resident Evil 7? Checked the wiki and no mention. Seems like a game where blind overall is best maybe?

I haven't played it myself, but my friends who have (and who loved it) seem to agree that blind is what they'd recommend.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Zushio posted:

Just as general notes

- There are usually environmental factors in boss rooms that can save you a lot of ammo. Look around and try and find them. Don't try to kill family members early, they have very clearly defined "boss rooms" which is the only place they can take real damage.

- Monsters can't follow you through doors. They also lose interest in you if you go into a safe room, which is a lifesaver when being chased.

- You can get an extra coin by acing the short prequel game, but it really isn't worth it unless you are going for a 100% run.

- Don't worry about cleaning house your first time through an area. After you beat the boss pop a couple of the pills that point out items and just grab them all at once.

- If you are being chased by a family member don't bother shooting them. You can evade pretty easily.

- You can greatly reduce incoming damage by blocking. Somehow your bare arms take sledgehammer blows with ease.

- You can fix severed limbs with a health potion. I never had to do it, but it can happen.

- Even if you are a masochist and love hard games, play on normal first. Hard mode isn't just increased difficulty, the locations of key items change around, and it is a bit confusing if you didn't play normal first.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 16, 2018

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Also to save you on inventory space, there are only 3 doors per fancy key you find, so don't worry about carrying them around after you find all of each one.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

admiraldennis posted:

Status effect spells are extremely powerful and many bosses are vulnerable. Using PK Flash at high levels is almost always worth it, as it attempts to inflict every single status effect that level of PK Flash can, up to and including diamondization and instant death.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zushio posted:

I would agree with that. RE7 is one of those games that has a lot of interesting and fresh little surprises for those players who are used to older entries in the series. The newness and the way it does a lot of things differently is probably the most appealing thing about it. I would at least try to play it entirely blind for a while before looking up more information.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Yeah I already beat the base game and blind was the way to go. Those few tips from earlier were nice though.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Personally I always thought condiments were a waste of a slot.

I'd say this is accurate unless you have a version of the game that has the condiment glitch. Basically, load a character up with condiments, then put whatever food you want to use at the bottom of their inventory through judicious use of the Give command. Once in battle, have the character use the food item. If done correctly the game will use the condiment but not the item. Rinse and repeat for either absurdly cheap full heals+PP restore (Brain Food Lunch) or absurdly high stat gains (Rock Candy).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Zushio posted:

Yeah I already beat the base game and blind was the way to go. Those few tips from earlier were nice though.

Get the DLC where you play as Jack's brother. You run around the swamp punching molded to death. And giant alligators.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

Get the DLC where you play as Jack's brother. You run around the swamp punching molded to death. And giant alligators.

If you got PSVR the DLCs are really the best way to have a buddy come over to try out VR for the first time.

Theres a "Red Light Green Light" escape room, an action game with ya boy Chris Redfield, and the aformentioned swampman super punchout.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for Pyre? Only just finished the first battle outside the tutorial.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Vidaeus posted:

Anything for Pyre? Only just finished the first battle outside the tutorial.

The game is very good at adapting to failures, don't feel forced to win every single game. May be worth it to kick difficulty up a notch if you're cruising.

You won't have enough XP to max out every skill tree, choose one lvl 4 skill you like for each character and go for it.

Moustaches are cool and good, don't even think about it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Haven't played Hollow Knight since the DLC/Expansions came out. Anything I should know? How hard is it to find the new content? Are we talking Dark Souls-level 'get a weird key item with useless flavor text from a random enemy then go to a completely separate featureless area with no indications that it's important'? Or can I find most of it just by being relatively thorough with exploring on a new file?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For Transistor, is it possible to hit Clucker bombs back at them? Swear I did it once but I don't want to sit there getting myself blown up to test how it works if someone can just tell me. Tried Googling it to no avail.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

PMush Perfect posted:

Haven't played Hollow Knight since the DLC/Expansions came out. Anything I should know? How hard is it to find the new content? Are we talking Dark Souls-level 'get a weird key item with useless flavor text from a random enemy then go to a completely separate featureless area with no indications that it's important'? Or can I find most of it just by being relatively thorough with exploring on a new file?

Sometimes it's just a new cracked wall in a corner somewhere, but I'm not sure how anyone is supposed to be able to find the white defender if they're playing blind and don't even know he exists. That's one I wouldn't feel bad about looking up the location for. Everything else should be findable if you're thorough.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for ELEX? Specifically regarding good/bad skills and joining factions; I've played the Gothic and Risen games so I know these are kind of the sticky points of Piranha design.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 23, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I got Dying Light plus extras for 20 dollarydoos. If you're reading this, too late the sale's over. All I know is that it's a Ubisoft-style game with a bummer ending. Anything important?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I got Dying Light plus extras for 20 dollarydoos. If you're reading this, too late the sale's over. All I know is that it's a Ubisoft-style game with a bummer ending. Anything important?
Get mobility upgrades, dropkick, creating throwing weapons. Utilize height, at the beginning you're too weak to fight zombies, by the end you'll be mowing down whole armies of them. Use guns on humans, they suck against zombies. Easiest way to get guns is out of trunks of police cars.

Just off the top of my head.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The game is Mirror's Edge with zombies. Cutting your way through zeds is a massive waste of resources. Run around them as much as you can, only fight when you have to or it is to your economical advantage.

Also firecrackers are incredibly cheap and super effective for clearing out spaces to work in.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For the new god of war; any tips for gear and skills?

I知 maybe 4 hours in and I feel like I知 not exactly swimming in upgrade mats; I知 paranoid that I値l spend them on upgrading my current gear, and then just find new gear soon after that値l make it obsolete. Am I overthinking it, does keeping your poo poo upgraded not matter too much?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Any advice for Signal from Tolva? I'm a few hours in and I feel like I'm missing strategies beyond "drag dudes across the map to take bases".

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

The ending to the normal game is fine, the ending to the expansion is ... well. You should beat it and find out. Depending on your mindset you might find either of the potential endings to be delightful, honestly.

Also worth noting that molotovs in the main game are kind of the win button, particularly against human enemies and if you can get the high ground (Anakin) against anything. Well except at night, you will die immediately to everything at night forever so never go anywhere at night ever, the end.

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for ELEX? Specifically regarding good/bad skills and joining factions; I've played the Gothic and Risen games so I know these are kind of the sticky points of Piranha design.
You do, no matter what rumors you find on the Internet, have to join a faction eventually, unless you glitch the game and get into the last area without doing so. The game is pretty forgiving ... "forgiving," there we go, about skills, in that you can just kind of try to build a crazy engineer/hunter/crafting man with minimal combat skills and still fare decently if you are good at dodging and jetpacking.

Also worth noting that you may think the game is literally impossible to be good at before you get an NPC companion (there are about a half-dozen permanent ones, found usually through quests and sometimes through exploration). Once you have somebody to take some hits for you while you circle around and attack or fire from range without something charging you, suddenly it makes a lot more sense. Though if you are good at kiting you might be decent from the beginning, or at least once you have enough stats to equip something resembling a real weapon.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Re: Dying Light

The XP penalty for dying is rescinded during the night, so instead of holing up and sucking your thumb like a baby, go out there, get spooked, and have fun with it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
If you stockpile UV flares, you can easily beat the crap out of the things that come out at night. For some reason, I had a ton of UV flares when I played through the game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Run!
Killing zombies takes forever with starter weapons, so don't. Parkour around them unless you really need them dead.

Humans will evade grenades. They won't avoid firecracker-bombs because they think it's just a firework.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Lone Badger posted:

Parkour around them unless you really need them dead.

or kick them into wall spikes, if you notice them. free quick exp :v:

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I know it just came out, but anything for Swords of Ditto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for Divinity: Original Sin II? I've read the tips on the beforeiplay wiki which are very useful! Wanted to know if there are any items which I should be keeping for quest/crafting purposes that may not be obvious?