Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I want a Dash Rendar movie but with the way Disney has been handling Star Wars recently maybe i should just be happy with N64 Dash the way he is.

Much like the N64 game it's gonna be a bs uncorroborated tale that wildly contradicts other entries. It ends with a cut to Dash at a bar while another patron has an incredulous look before calling bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Who is your favorite internet reviewer and how did you discover them.

Mine currently is Jenny Nicholson, probably followed by Lindsay Ellis.

I remember wondering why youtube kept recommending me these videos of this woman just sitting on her bed talking about Star Wars, when I wasn't even that big of a fan of Star Wars. Then a little while later her Suicide Squad skit was making its rounds on twitter and I ended up watching it. My basic thoughts were, "Eh, she's not really saying anything new, but the execution is solid." Then a couple weeks later I ended up stumbling upon her Batman V Superman script doctor video and actually really liking it. Shortly after, I ended up going through all of her previous videos over the next week or so and realizing this was the Star Wars bed lady youtube kept trying to get me to watch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Report of the Week.

I found him after binging through Joeysworldtour who I was laughing at and making fun of for being so disgusting, and then I saw ol John there in his suit looking dumb and I laughed.

But then I kept watching. And now it's apparent that he's the greatest youtuber of all time.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I got into Jenny's videos like a month ago when somebody linked her "Worst Reality Show Of All Time" video and I was hooked through the whole thing. She had also just uploaded her Escape From Tomorrow video which is really good and I've since made my way through her entire backlog (yes, including the pony videos).

Thinking about it, it's weird how many movie critic people I watch seeing as how the last movie I've seen in theaters was The Jungle Book and the one before that was in like 2011. I don't really watch movies but people like Lindsay Ellis and Dan Olsen keep me riveted.

Also Dan's Book Of Henry video is probably my favorite of all time. I'm pretty certain him and Lindsay I found because of HBomberguy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm on a three way toss up between Mandalore Gaming, Bennett and Hbomb currently, with Phelous and Lupa being close seconds.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Yeah, Dan and Lindsay are some of my faves, though I can never really get into HBomber.

Maybe because I just don't care what his videos are about. Or maybe it's his accent, idk.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Redlettermedia, specifically Best of the Worst which I found through a previous iteration of this thread (it was the episode with Tammy and the T-Rex). I also like Lindsay Ellis's videos who I found on That Guy With the Glasses back in the day. Her video essays are some of my favorite things on Youtube.

I also like Jenny, Lupa, Renegade Cut, and Noah Caldwell-Gervais.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm gonna say Lindsay Ellis is my favourite and when I was first introduced to her on TGWTG I didn't like her for reasons I've stated before (she was being written by Doug Walker and therefore came off as a pest). Then after a while I gave her videos another try and realized she was actually funny and not obnoxious at all! From her Channel Awesome days my favourite video of hers is the collab she did with Linkara on the Supergirl movie.

Runners up include Contrapoints and Hbomberguy which I both found on these here threads.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Hoo man, if I had to come up with a criteria for myself it would probably be "How often do you rewatch their stuff after the first time.

Noah Gervais I'll binge every once in a while, usually use them as background noise while I play a game. I know he's got a lot of hiccups in his setup that get on people's nerves but its never bothered me much.

Lupa's Baywatching videos are goddamn amazing. I have a bad habit of binge watching the whole drat thing every time she releases some new videos.

Lindsay Ellis of course, though her stuff's not as much of a "rewatch goddamn everything" as the other two, but they're definitely up there.

Honorable mentions to Dan Olsen, Kyle Kallgren, Mandalore Gaming, Raycevick, Pop Arena, SF Debris and probably a bunch more that I'm forgetting.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
No ones made me laugh as hard as DSP has so he's my favorite. Listening to him breathlessly explain why he has to cancel a stream because he needs to get a haircut or something but he hopes everyone will still help support him paying his unpaid taxes is why I signed up for this internet thing.

Then I guess RLM BoTW but only when Josh isn't loving killing every joke

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Lindsay is probably my fav and she has been for... Almost as long as she’s been doing videos. She definitely improved exponentially as she shed the female Doug persona, but even in her oldest videos you could tell there was something more there than in NC stuff.

She’s only improved with time, of course.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I guess my current favourite is the 8-bit guy, followed by LGR. I love learning about old computer stuff, seeing as I spent most of the 80's & 90's on mac hardware. I follow a lot of the other reviewers listed above, but I only watch their video's as background noise while doing other things, as I don't really grasp what they talk about most of the time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

OSW, hands down. They're just such boys, while also still delivering thorough retrospectives on a subject they're fans but not fanboys of.

I found them a few years(?) ago when I was watching wrestling with my autistic brother in an attempt to connect with him better, and it kind of occurred to me that I'd watched when I was young but had no idea what happened between the somewhere in the early 90s and now when some old wrestler turned up - probably Undertaker - so I went looking for some history on youtube and they popped up covering basically the exact blank spot I had, and I've listened to everything since.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lindsay ellis, redlettermedia, todd in the shadows, lazy game reviews, poparena and of course, jim loving sterling, son are the ones i'd consider my favorites. jenny nicholson, frederick knudsen, lupa and george rockall-schmidt are pretty up there too.

of these, i have no idea where or how i discovered most of them them, i just know todd was the first (2010...gently caress that was so long ago :sweatdrop:)

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 24, 2018

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I just went to check out Jenny Nicholson- she made a video I *loved* about "Lame things to do at Disneyworld". Peoplemover for life! Excited to check out more of her stuff!

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

frederick knudsen

Down the Rabbit Hole is amazing. Frederick could livestream him reading the phonebook and I'd tune in, because his voice is great and he seems so nice.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
My list is pretty basic, but here goes. Links to ones not normally talked about.

Media critics: Lindsay Ellis, HBomb, Folding Ideas and RLM. Those are fairly uncontroversial choices.

Not-always-media-critics: John Bois and Austin McConnell. Sometimes they cover pop culture, other times they cover weird other stuff, but they both put a fair amount of thought into their work. This Exists is mostly retired, but he did some good delving into pop culture obscura. Also good on him for eventually realizing that his content was slipping by fighting "the algorithm" with frequent vids and calling a halt.

Guilty Pleasures: Night Mind. More for entertainment than for analysis, but I enjoy them, especially when they stay light on the framing skits. Right now Jenny Nicholson sits here as well; she does good work, but I haven't seen anything of hers yet that really tears stuff apart like the folks above do. It's entertaining, but not super insightful, just fun. That being said I'm catching up on her stuff so that might change, maybe it's just what videos of hers have been recommended to me so far.

Music theory stuff totally unrelated to this discussion but I'll plug them: 12 tone, Adam Neely. Adam delves more into occasional clickbait weirdness vids but they both cover some cool music theory stuff.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The question is which internet critic has the best voice?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tired Moritz posted:

am I allowed to watch chris stuckmann's videos

he's not in the op so I assume he's like a serial murderer

Stuckmann is bad because he's real boring and uncharismatic.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DoubleCakes posted:

Shaun.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Testekill posted:

well he's not racist so that's good enough for me!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DoubleCakes posted:

Rich Evans.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

todd in the shadows and rap critic are the only people i've really followed consistently over the years, but thanks to however mentioned jenny nicholson's Worst Reality TV Show video because i looked it up without any real expectations but i was at rapt attention for the ~20 minute duration. she's cool and good

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Testekill posted:

Oh I’m not alone in thinking this? Good.

I also never really found RLM funny, but I guess that’s too far.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DoubleCakes posted:

Brad Jones :allears:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

This, but to me, Jeremy Jahns comes pretty close.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

In terms of what critic makes me laugh the most, it would have to be Phelous. He has the rare gift of being able to turn almost any material into comedy gold, even some random cartoon from the 60s that nobody’s ever heard of. I originally found out about him through, of course, tgwtg back when he was on there, although it took me a while before I gave his videos a chance because I saw he was covering horror movies and I don’t tend to like those. Once I did, I was hooked, especially after he switched over to mostly reviewing bad cartoons.

In terms of what critic I think is most insightful, it could only be Chuck from Sfdebris. He’s one of the rare critics whose politics almost always align with my own and he seems to have a wealth of information about almost any subject, as well as an ability to convey that information in an engaging way. He worked as a teacher apparently before he started reviewing full-time, and it shows. I can't exactly remember where I first heard about him because I've been a fan of his from long before his tgwtg days, but I think someone on SA linked to one of his videos during a discussion about bad Voyager episodes and I ended up watching all of the ones he had made at the time.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RLM, Regular Car Reviews, Thew, and Vangelus are my top four, definitely, but I don't know what to list past them. Edit: Oh also I love Ross's content, Game Dungeon and otherwise. So yeah, that's my top five.

I love Overly Sarcastic Productions but they're not really 'reviewers', more just doing various short, semi-humorous lectures on history/literature.

Ashens was probably the first I got into but he's been going on for years and I think I've grown a little tired of his formula. I still think he's funny and all that, of course.

LGR and SFDebris kind of occupy the same space for me in that I don't care about their basic reviews, but I love their specials like Tech Tales or Rise And Fall Of The Comic Empire, so I can't say I'm a fan of them in a critic sense.

But nobody has yet to unseat my favorite internet reviewer, Xoxak, even if he hasn't made a video in years

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I should answer my own question. I like Fredrik Knudsen's voice the most even if I've only watched half a dozen of his vids. Night Mind is a close second. His voice is smooth.

I also liked Contra's voice back when she identified as a male but watching old videos of her's is so weird now and I like her new voice too! :)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
They're almost certainly not the best at...well, at anything they do really :v:, but the podcast I've found most consistently entertaining is The Weekly Planet podcast, which I originally found through comicbookmovies.com. I honestly disagree with them on a whole bunch of stuff and find that they're actually not all that well read on many of the topics they cover...but honestly, they make no secret of that fact and they riff off of each other really well and it's a comedy podcast so hey. Being entertaining trumps being erudite in my book.

...But still, on the matter of being more erudite, I've been enjoying Wisecrack and Just Write's video essays a lot.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

this

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Who the hell is Shaun?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Who the hell is Shaun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Testekill posted:

yeah i've never understood how he got an audience.

BigglesSWE posted:

Oh I’m not alone in thinking this? Good.

I also never really found RLM funny, but I guess that’s too far.

their funniest stuff is their dvd commentaries but nobody listens to those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce_fn_R8SZU

"did you know this movie won an oscar...for WORST. SNOW."

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 24, 2018

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Who the hell is Shaun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ti3chBx2Pc

Start here and work forward.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TheHeadSage posted:

I guess my current favourite is the 8-bit guy, followed by LGR. I love learning about old computer stuff, seeing as I spent most of the 80's & 90's on mac hardware. I follow a lot of the other reviewers listed above, but I only watch their video's as background noise while doing other things, as I don't really grasp what they talk about most of the time.

LGR is cool, he loves the sims and weird computers and confusing edutainment and so do I. He's basically doing the kind of stuff I wanted to do but was too broke to record

Also I like to watch Big Clive disassemble AC adapters

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Shaun's is good because it taught me that a Scouse accent can actually sound quite nice when the speaker sounds calm and collected (my mum is originally from Liverpool but has mostly lost her accent. It only comes out when she's angry and so I associate it with being yelled at. Going to the city and just walking around always results in my shoulders rising up towards my ears involuntarily).

Brad's is an obvious choice.

I like Ashens (if he counts as a 'critic') because his cadence is very unique and really works with the timing of his jokes.

You
Oct 6, 2009

I watched the cinema sins ones after the fairly recent Charlottesville breakdown he did and the contrast between calmly talking about white supremacists trying to control the narrative and furiously shooting down lovely internet "critics" is hilarious in it self.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hbomb has an incredibly dynamic voice, which goes a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Even when they were still held back by that tgwtg internet reviewer style Lindsay Ellis and Kyle Kallgren were some off the first people to make me think about reviews differently. It was really nice to get some theories and background info instead of just a riff. Allison Pregler had more of a riff like style but she also gave a lot of background on the movies she reviewed.
I was a teenager when I started watching them so It's been amazing to see them grow this much.

Oliver Harper is one of my favorites. if you ever wanted to know EVERYTHING about a movie he's your guy.
Kim Justice does similar work but with video games and they're also really in depth.

Infamous Sphere made videos about queer movies (and sometimes historical dramas) which I find hard to find. Unfortunately she stopped producing new videos.