Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
The least believable part of the reboot is that Madison is back to just living a normal life and not out there wrecking communities with her sociopath ways. Also, she's WAAAY too smart to fall for plot armor bad guy's bullshit...he should either be dead by her hand already, or at least be sweating for his position as top dog of his gypsy curse raider crew as she immediately takes it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I'm not sure if I see this dude as a new Negan. He's got the confidence problem for sure, but the idea of the Vultures I think is genuinely interesting. They probably rarely ever fire a shot, and that's a really cool bad guy.

He's not barricading them in so they starve, he's not rounding up zombies to take down their walls, he's not even actually threatening them with an attack. All he's doing is waiting for them to fail, and when they do he'll take their stuff. Or if they want to avoid dying by their own mistakes they can hand all their stuff over, or even pretty cordially join them. I have zero confidence that this is not a soft-reboot, but if it's NOT then we're probably going to see things get tense, and for Madison to cause some real bad poo poo to go down, which results in where we see them in the present when they ambushed Morgan.

It really should be commented on that even if Madison's bad rear end witch of the Apocalypse stuff disappears, I'd be disappointed, but the dialog has been such a breath of fresh air after TWD. Like people talk straight forward, get to the point, or even the dumb sibling joking with Alicia and Nick.

The bike roundup introduction to the Vultures was hilarious too and I loved it.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So like, what happened at the dam?

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm not sure about this guys. I liked the first episode and the characters Morgan hooked up with but it looks like we won't be seeing them for a while after the reverse time skip.

Madison jumping into a zombie filled salo to save some random fucker is the complete opposite of what her previous character would do, but of course if you save a random fucker in the WD universe they turn out to be a doctor.

Are we gonna get another jump back to see what happened after the drat that could have broke her brain so badly?

Also, "what if Negan, but more Negan?". gently caress you Gimple!

Tortuga fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 23, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry I know I'm a season behind you guys, but what was the point of that guy riding around with the stereo going "agua agua"? Seemed like he was totally needlessly drawing attention to himself with no benefit or purpose.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/1co8pfF.gifv

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
nick's all messed up now

ha ha ha

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Yeah not sure how I feel about Madison's new Narrative. Reprogram her back please.

It'll be alright if we get some decent insight on why she's so bent on helping/saving people, and even better if this is all just a temporary fake-out to make it seem like she's truly changed and then in a couple episodes she shoots someone in the face and we get classic Madison back.

But yeah for the most part, I still enjoyed it. Cinematography, despite the piss yellow filter (which I hope goes away when the two timelines meet up), was still nice. IDK if it's just me but I think Kim Dickens' acting has improved in this role. Nick's truck crash and the immediate moments after were funny. I'm genuinely interested in where they're going with the new premise. It just felt kind of like a pilot episode though, which I guess is understandable under the circumstances (not only do we have new showrunners + Gimple overseeing, all the writers are new too. They didn't keep the S3 writing staff). I'm also disappointed that we missed so much of each character's development and are only gonna get tidbits of insight here and there and that they seem to have scrapped the entire direction that season 3 was going in.

...and even then it still manages to be better put-together and enjoyable than TWD proper, which has loving SOURCE MATERIAL to go off of and they still botch their own writing.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

zeal posted:

nick's all messed up now

ha ha ha

You think he's ever gonna get high off of zombie brain stem again or nah

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
once the clarkes are back to nomad-predation he's going to be hacking up corpses for the best chewables and smokables like there's no tomorrow

because, well

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
With the magical machine gun car the show has lost some of its gritty magic for me. All the other seasons don't do much but they sure move the plot along at breakneck speeds. It kinda feels like its slowing down now.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think what they may be doing is "what if Negan tried to take over a settlement, but didn't realize it was led by an even worse Negan who kinda reformed but holy gently caress are you screwed if she reverts."

In which case I say :getin:

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Well even though they skipped a ton of character development and story, at least The 100 is coming back tomorr- oh wait they ended their last season with a massive destruction cliffhanger and multiple years long time-skip too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

https://youtu.be/MTLL_6A2fA0

It feels like we are only going to get 5 minutes at the end of each episode of the “NOW” plotline with Morgan, all leading to a big cliffhanger at the season finale.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

brocked posted:

Wasn't Chick Grimes actually a guidance counselor in the normal world?

Also, I really don't get why people love Troy so much, he was basically a school shooter in the zombie apocalypse.

Chick Grimes, :lol: That's magnificent

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Johnny Truant posted:

so I'm still 100% digging Fear over TWD, but are we seriously getting another Negan-style baddie who has enough plot armour he can sit in an open parking lot in front of our protagonists and not just get shot with a loving rifle? like, c'mon, really? we literally just had that. for two seasons.

And immediately get killed by the much larger force? Come on, man.

Also, to everyone's questions about Madison's character shift, I think we'll find out it's rooted in the argument she and Nick had and his suicide attempt in the S3 finale. He'd hated what Madison had forced them to become and I think she's changing to be a better person. She almost says as much when talking to Mel.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Chick Grimes, :lol: That's magnificent

They held up a BLACK SUV*

*circled

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

warcrimes posted:

She almost says as much when talking to Mel.

"You pointing a gun at me wasn't that bad. Could've been worse. Heck, we've done worse while out there, believe me."
Me: "NO poo poo MAD MADISON!" :lol:

And yea, I don't think it'll take that much for them to relapse from this heel-face turn if they got evicted by the vultures and suffered for it.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Astroman posted:

I think what they may be doing is "what if Negan tried to take over a settlement, but didn't realize it was led by an even worse Negan who kinda reformed but holy gently caress are you screwed if she reverts."

In which case I say :getin:

Yeah, I was hoping she'd pull her gun and shoot him mid speech and she'd be covered by sniper/guard fire, make it inside, and then we'd see who's in the position of strength: the people inside a settlement who could grow their own food or the people outside in Winnebagoes who keep having to deal with all the zombies attracted by the noise of our ceaseless hammering

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Do we know what exactly she's hammering right now? For some reason it looks like she's just adding a wooden cage to a metal guardrail

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

She was making a room for the spy girl. Which reminds me I laughed at how shocked she was that the vultures knew about their crop problems & names when apparently they blab on walkie talkies all day about anything that comes to mind

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

warcrimes posted:

And immediately get killed by the much larger force? Come on, man.

:circlefap:

except they have as many people (47?), a better defensible position, the lay of the land, the literal high ground...

wait... wait, are you... ARE YOU A WRITER FOR TWD?

brocked posted:

Yeah, I was hoping she'd pull her gun and shoot him mid speech and she'd be covered by sniper/guard fire, make it inside, and then we'd see who's in the position of strength: the people inside a settlement who could grow their own food or the people outside in Winnebagoes who keep having to deal with all the zombies attracted by the noise of our ceaseless hammering

hey look, someone who loving gets it

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Hey now, that one bus had a lemon tree or some poo poo in it

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
First two episodes would have worked better as one long extended season premiere.

brocked posted:

Strand used a pitching machine to send out a baseball with a firecracker in it, to lure away z's.
They should load up some balls with explosives (eg firecracker fuse + gasoline) and shoot them at the buses.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Were we supposed to be in awe as the hipster led 12 zombies onto a truck with the use of a boombox and a bicycle?

Basically a hosed up version of YOU'RE WELCOME

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

Were we supposed to be in awe as the hipster led 12 zombies onto a truck with the use of a boombox and a bicycle?

yeah it wasn't really that impressive other than he's the second person in the entire apocalypse after trashkru to realize bicycles don't stop working after ~zombies~

my question, though, if the number that they write on the 'flag' is how many zombies they round up, where the gently caress are the zombies? the flags that we've seen so far have been in the hundreds. wasn't the flag at the stupid silo thing that was maybe filled with 20 zombies something like 400?

is this the beginning of *gulp* the Gimplening?

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
I figured they were just driving around their own grow-lab. Smoke em if you got em.

Also, "Those are some nice crops you have growing there. It would be a shame if weevils ate all of them!"

*infests crops with bugs, laughs Negan-ly and has a tailgate party*

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

moist turtleneck posted:

i mean, i was impressed by the level of forethought and confidence it showed in z handling

they're not afraid of them, but they don't revere them like the people at the season 2 hacienda did

that little scene managed to eloquently demonstrate the vultures' way of doing things

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

the wolves
soon to be the vultures

why does the walking dead universe prey on groups that name themselves after animals?!

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Wolves Pumas Vultures are cool.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Ok. She seems to have gotten the hammer thing worked out. Mostly.
Now someone give her some nails and teach her the next bit.

Don't just stand there watching her hit the same bit of wood over and over you mean fucks.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Still better than the main show where they hammered screws through 2x4s into metal I-beams while trying to be quiet.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Their plan is just making me laugh more the more I think about it. We're going to sit here and laugh at those suckers inside who are slowly starving to death and then we'll go in and take their crops wait what?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

brocked posted:

Their plan is just making me laugh more the more I think about it. We're going to sit here and laugh at those suckers inside who are slowly starving to death and then we'll go in and take their crops wait what?

....crops? no, they're waiting for the people inside the diamond to die so they can take their guns and other supplies, nobody said anything about wanting to take nick's doomed harvest

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

brocked posted:

They don't care about the crops, and if that town was any indication, they will take everything remaining. Cause there's a ton of resources in the stadium aside from some failing crops.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

JossiRossi posted:

Cause there's a ton of resources in the stadium aside from some failing crops.

like people!

:suicide:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Johnny Truant posted:

like people!

:suicide:

...which is why the vultures offered to take everyone in the stadium into their crew in the very first meeting

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

zeal posted:

...which is why the vultures offered to take everyone in the stadium into their crew in the very first meeting

:thejoke:

they remind me of an almost comicbook-like villain, who really thought he saved people...

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
are you just traumatized by how badly TWD has gone, or do you have legitimate issues with comprehending what you see and read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Nah, I'm just thinking it's pretty dumb to expect I'm just going to sit here in your parking lot won't end with the people inside the compound trying to use up everything they have killing you, again leaving you with very little, just after a violent firefight

• Locked thread